Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Sylosis
Human being with feelings

Default Increasing BPM causes clipping

Hi,

So, I have the following problem where, I have recorded my tracks for a song (6 guitar tracks) and was a victim of the mouse scroll on the BPM indicator. By mistake, before tracking (or at least, this is my guess as to what happened), I probably scrolled on the BPM number and moved it from 230 to 228.

As such, every guitar track was recorded at 228. Problem is, the bass, vocals and drums were at 230.

Considering it is a 0.8% tempo error, I thought I could just re-enter 230 as the BPM so that Reaper adjusts the rate of everything.

What doesn't make any sense now is that: I have a track that clips. Clearly the signal, from the shape of the wave, isn't clipping. But, the meter, when I play that track, shows that it clips.

And, if I render that track (because I had made some edits and wish to send it to a sound engineer for mixing), the render now clips: the signal is now bigger and we see that the wave clips.

Can anybody help me with this?

Last edited by Sylosis; 07-30-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Sylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
Sylosis

I have just remembered why I don't post all that much on this forum... : it's useless.
Sylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #3
daniellumertz

changing the playback rate of a item will change your wave that can lead to clips if goes over 0dB.

why do you think this is a bug?

also good to remember that just the master(or the output) really clips as reaper is works in float bit depth the individual tracks can clip

Last edited by daniellumertz; 08-03-2020 at 10:36 PM.
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
planetnine

To explain: if changing the BPM causes any audio to play back at a different rate, this audio will be being resampled (in real-time) for playback, and any intersample peaks may become actual peaks and trigger REAPER's peak indicators.

Intersample peaks are where adjacent samples are less than 0dBFS, but the (band limited) waveform reconstructed from them equals or exceeds 0dBFS. As REAPER works internally in a Floating-Point format, you will not actually be distorting (clipping) the audio in the track, sends or the master unless any plugins in your signal chain cannot support this, or the signall is still that hot when it meets your ADCs (conveters).

How close to 0dB are your audio files?

Do you know how to read their True Peak (TP) level?

>