Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-05-2024, 12:00 PM   #41
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Set my script "FTC_MeMagic (9-1) Horizontally scroll to mouse or edit cursor.lua" as a "double click" mouse modifier for context "Media item" under Preferences > Mouse Modifiers.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:01 PM   #42
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynth3t1k View Post
That's a 2.1 out of 10.
( Most of that is for being able to breath and other complex stuff. )

Have a nice day.
Got 0.2 from me, I like comedy and enjoy crawling. Once I had a snake. It was a funny, happy snake, you know.
Read my instruction again and try be more confident. I hope it works so you can pay me for the solution.
God bless you.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 01:05 PM   #43
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Set my script "FTC_MeMagic (9-1) Horizontally scroll to mouse or edit cursor.lua" as a "double click" mouse modifier for context "Media item" under Preferences > Mouse Modifiers.
OK. Time passed.

That's a nope.

It's just opening the entire midi clip centred in the edit window.

All it needs to do is A) remember the zoom setting and then B) open the midi clip at the point where you clicked on it.

I have repeated this a few times now in this thread so yeah.

Obviously you are a smart person, you have a git hub repository etc

So we could work on this. Right. I pay you for results.

You could fix this I think. and it does not have to be complicated or full of features. Just the simple fix and that's all.

We should talk.

Thanks!

Last edited by 5ynth3t1k; 07-05-2024 at 01:33 PM.
5ynth3t1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 01:18 PM   #44
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Where is it.
I attached the file to this post.

But I'd recommend using ReaPack. Copy and paste this link into: Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/iliaspoulakis/Reaper-Tools/master/index.xml
Then go to Extensions > ReaPack > Browse Packages.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:29 PM   #45
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Tell me does it move the EDIT CURSOR when you double click on the midi item to open it, and does it open the midi item where clicked on it?
It scrolls the MIDI editor view to where your mouse is without moving edit cursor.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:54 PM   #46
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
It scrolls the MIDI editor view to where your mouse is without moving edit cursor.
Have you read my last reply to you... :-)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:01 PM   #47
pluginram

Default genious

Quote:

it works, you should get his dollars.
let us know how much he paid.

still,i have no idea if the edit cursor does not move,how you wanna playback your edits because playback starts at the edit cursor.
pluginram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 02:15 PM   #48
pluginram

Default it works

Quote:
It's just opening the entire midi clip centred in the edit window
not true
https://imgur.com/xHFPCvF
Old 07-05-2024, 02:16 PM   #49
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluginram View Post
it works, you should get his dollars.
let us know how much he paid.

still,i have no idea if the edit cursor does not move,how you wanna playback your edits because playback starts at the edit cursor.
Nope it does not. It does "WORK" I will grant it that. Just not the WOrK that I need. Like loads of other scripts people make.

If play back starts at the edit cursor why is it called the edit cursor?

I dunno about you but I start playback at the start of the bar. Where I left the transport start indicator ( "Edit cursor" ). The fact that the transport start indicator gets moved around when you do other things not related to the transport is one of the most annoying things that reaper does. But luckily there are prefs to fix that. Still, it was in my opinion, a super questionable design feature. What the hell were they thinking.

I can see I will have to make a documentary about this...
Old 07-05-2024, 02:21 PM   #50
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Well, it seems to do that when I use it. I mean, it does that. It's a thing.
Oh you mean I am doing it wrong?

I made a long as fuck midi item, I click on one end and it opens the midi item in the ME, the whole thing is displayed. The last zoom level is totally ignored.

So it's not working.

Oh but it might do stuff that you like. So it works for you.
But then you have been fighting with me the whole time.

Try understanding the problem. Open your mind.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:34 PM   #51
pluginram

Default its working

Quote:
I made a long as fuck midi item, I click on one end and it opens the midi item in the ME, the whole thing is displayed. The last zoom level is totally ignored.So it's not working
you are unbelievable stobbern
here another gif with very long midi item.
https://imgur.com/53FfziA
pay him as promised.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:36 PM   #52
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Well, it seems to do that when I use it. I mean, it does that. It's a thing.
Oh you mean I am doing it wrong?

I made a long as fuck midi item, I click on one end and it opens the midi item in the ME, the whole thing is displayed. The last zoom level is totally ignored.
I think what you do different is that you keep the MIDI editor open. Reaper does its own thing when the editor is already open and "zooms" to the whole item when double clicking.

Here's a modded version of the script that fixes that:
Old 07-05-2024, 02:36 PM   #53
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
you are unbelievable stobbern
here another gif with very long midi item.
https://imgur.com/lHU70aS

pay him as promised.
Right we are now getting some where, finally.

Now tell me exactly what you did to get it to do that.

Never mind things are looking up.

Yes I am stubborn. Very. But look! A solution has appeared.
So it was WORTH It.

Have a nice day. :-)

Last edited by 5ynth3t1k; 07-05-2024 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 02:40 PM   #54
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
I think what you do different is that you keep the MIDI editor open. Reaper does its own thing when the editor is already open and "zooms" to the whole item when double clicking.

Here's a modded version of the script that fixes that:
Uh, no i don't. I double click the item, it open the ME. I close it. I double click on another item somewhere else.

So I am constantly opening and closing the ME. I do lots of midi items. As you might expect.

wow. WOW. OK OK don't get too excited. lemme see... I need to test it properly.

Looks good so far !!!

Thanks for helping !!!!!

IT'S WORKING !!!!!

I tried to bug it out but it's rock solid so far. No idea what you did to change it but the other script didn't work.
Which is weird.

Name your price. If this is what it looks like then it's GOLD. Why does reaper not do this natively ???? it's so weird.

Good work !

PM me.

Mate!

Last edited by 5ynth3t1k; 07-05-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 03:12 PM   #55
pluginram

Default long time

Quote:
IT'S WORKING

for you its working.
but not for me,because i like to playback the edits

in this gif you see your way vs my way.
i just hold shift for your way.
https://imgur.com/R0sk1R9
you have to wait a long time till the playback line has reached the edited notes.
because you don't wanna move the edit cursor.
my way is much faster and easier.
Old 07-05-2024, 03:13 PM   #56
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Name your price. If this is what it looks like then it's GOLD. Why does reaper not do this natively ???? it's so weird.
Whatever you think its worth to you. Donation link is in my signature
Old 07-05-2024, 11:43 PM   #57
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Hey.

It has stopped working.

This SWS version:
sws-2.12.1.3-Windows-x86

Your script header

@author Your name here (FeedTheCat)
@license MIT
@version 1.3.0
@noindex
@about Automatically generated configuration of MeMagic
@changelog

and your custom script.

It went weird then it's back to the old way. Looks like reaper was having a fight with it. I didn't change anything.

I just got out of my hab cell and will look into it further but yeah, your script stopped functioning. I have no idea if there is a crash report or dumpfile...

It was working. This is a fact.

There is one other thing. I lost control of one of my VSTi. Sonic Charge Cyclone. ( yes it is ancient.) It would not listen to midi while reaper is playing. It will when recording or not playing. This is a new thing. So it might be that Cyclone is interfering with your script. I have no idea.

Do you think that you could make a totally striped back script that only does the focus the midi item? So the script is as short as possible? Reduce it's influence till it's only doing this one thing?

I appreciate your help a lot!

Cheers!

Mate.
Old 07-06-2024, 12:14 AM   #58
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
for you its working.
but not for me,because i like to playback the edits

in this gif you see your way vs my way.
i just hold shift for your way.
https://imgur.com/R0sk1R9
you have to wait a long time till the playback line has reached the edited notes.
because you don't wanna move the edit cursor.
my way is much faster and easier.

Are we gonna be friends now? I thought we were going to have a firefight through the forum . Actually that would be cool as it reminds me of the bad old days of bar room brawls in forums. Sigh... times change...

Lets be friends. I can do that. :-)

Lets be clear on a few things. I do move the edit cursor. BUT you have to imagine it is the transport start line. ( back in the bad old days you could set a point where a tape machine would reverse/wind back. This is your transport start point. You hit play and the tape machine plays from that point. Nothing difficult there. Now you can change that to obviously start where ever you like on the tape. You would write down where a part of the song was, literally numbers on the plastic rolling number wheels, and you would set the counter at that point so you can play/rewind over to do overdubs, etc. This is the way I learned to do stuff. ( I am no genius and never really did much with my audio engineering skills, I was a drop out. Drinking, drugs, sex, bands, motorcycles and partying were more my thing. I was an idiot. )
So the edit cursor is that point where the transport starts to roll tape. Great.

In editing a part of a track. I set the "transport cue" to say the begining of a bar. lets say bar 4 ( 4/4) .
If I want to edit a bass line in bar 4 I will hit the space bar and listen to the playback. I consider what I think needs tweaking. I double click on the midi item and watch it as the bar plays. I tweak accordingly. Essentially I do not move the transport cue point when I am deep in bar editing midi.

BUT wait: If the midi item is four bars long and I want to only focus on bar 3 I will then move the transport cue to bar 3. BUT it is a conscious decision on my part and not some weird "edit cursor is stuck to my mouse bullshit".

The issue has never been about the "edit cursor". it has been about how reaper opens the ME window with the LAST VIEW setting. People work around this by moving the "edit cursor". Frankly I think the devs need to look at this issue and correct it. It is in my opinion a bad design and one that looks like they just didn't think about it hard enough.

The LAST VIEW issue is painfully obvious IF you do not exclusively move the "edit cursor" to focus on a point in the project/midi item.

People use tools differently. This is what humans are: "tool users". It's a rock, a door stop, a hammer, a weapon, a weight, a knife, an axe, a club etc. ( you knap the edge to make a knife/axe ...) .

AS you can see I can type, a lot and fast. I like writing. Feel free to read this a few times to let it really sink in.

I will look at your gif. now. Will it hurt my eyes? They are a bit sensitive. They have seen things...

By the way. Time and motion studies are a really big deal in process work. and that is what we ado. We do a lot of different procedures but overall we are doing the same thing. What you might think may save you time in the short term may cost you in the long term so be careful about saying that your way is "quicker". It may not be. If your "edit cursor" has been moved to edit something then you have to move it back to playback from a different point. This is adding more time to your procedure duration. I could wax lyrical about the best strategy for doing certain procedures. Do you move all the furniture in one go, or do you move the furniture individually, when vacuuming ? One way seems fast but is not. This is the basic nuts and bolts of procedural work. Ask Mr Ford who made cars back at the start of last century.

OK I will look now.

Mate.

Last edited by 5ynth3t1k; 07-06-2024 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 12:23 AM   #59
pluginram

Default maybe this

Quote:
It has stopped working

maybe this can help https://imgur.com/FMW33w4
Old 07-06-2024, 12:41 AM   #60
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
for you its working...
I am looking at your work flow.

Yep you are doing it the "reaper way".

Lets talk about that.

First up. I do not scroll along from one end of a long part to the other end. That is SUPER SLOW.

I ZOOM OUT, AND SNIPE with the mouse double click. ( Years and years and years of virtual combat trained me to get as far away from the action as my DMR would let be reasonable effective - you can scope traverse a front quicker the further out you are...)

Secondly. I do see your point of moving the edit cursor closer to the action. Yes I agree with that. For me it is a click on the time line, snapping to the bar. I have decoupled the "edit cursor" from the time selection. I move the "edit cursor" by clicking on the time line ONLY.
I can drag things around in the lanes and it will NOT change the "edit cursor" position.

If I want to inspect a midi item I do not want to move the "edit cursor".
I do want the the Midi Item to OPEN WHERE I CLICK ON IT.

And this is where all this bullshit started. When opeing the midi item I am presented with THE LAST VIEW the midi editor was closed with.

See where I am coming from?

I am not going to convince you that my way is BEST or that you are WRONG or anything like that. You be you and I will be me. The problem is that reaper has this thing baked in that is what I call a BAD DESIGN FEATURE. ( the LAST VIEW feature).

If feed the cats script works...

I see you have posted again. This is getting cosy..

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:02 AM   #61
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
maybe this can help https://imgur.com/FMW33w4
Hmm.. the script seems the stop working for some reason.

I have re "selected" going through the prefs then the action window then select...

Once I do that the thing works.

I did notice sometimes when I first open reaper that the Mifi edit window has a tizzy then settles down. This looks like some kind of WTF moment.

I have no idea what your are doing and how you got that window open in your gif.

I just point the the default action behaviour directly to the script.

( hmm. how to insert a pic to this post...)

see attachemnt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTC me magic.jpg (219.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-06-2024, 01:03 AM   #62
pluginram

Default script

Quote:
yep you are doing it the "reaper way"
maybe,but i learned from your feature request how to edit faster.
this time video ,my first gif with sound.
https://imgur.com/mKmVGja
Old 07-06-2024, 01:12 AM   #63
pluginram

Quote:
I just point the the default action behaviour directly to the script
will not work,have another look at "my maybe this can help" gif
Old 07-06-2024, 01:14 AM   #64
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
maybe,but i learned from your feature request how to edit faster.
this time video ,my first gif with sound.
https://imgur.com/mKmVGja
mmm. Not what I consider. But if it WORKS FOR YOU. great.

I use sample o matic. Load up LINN drum and ROLAND R8 samples. Create channels for Kick, snare, hats. then sends to the Drum Mix. I am doing synth wav vibe and this is the best way I can see to get the control I like. I would post a pic of my console but... how to insert pic? I forget.

I literally park the edit cursor at the start of the bar and hit the space bar to play it back. I do not want it looping constantly UNLESS I lasso the bar with replay on.

Also I can have a time selection AND still move the "edit cursor" somewhere else to start playback there. "Time selection", "edit cursor" and "double click on media item" are DECOUPLED.

phew.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:15 AM   #65
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
will not work,have another look at "my maybe this can help" gif
It does work. It's working right now. Remember that there are more that one way to do thing here... which can be an issue.... like now. :-)

There is something weird going on. It seems to forget that the script is associated with the action.

WOW. but wait.

OK here is the thing, it works on SOME MIDI ITEMS only. Why ???

more looking.

AH HA !!!!

It;'s the upper and lower are on the MIDI ITEM thing. If I click low it does not invoke the script. If I click HIGH it does.
FFS. This is some kind of inverted feature creep nightmare. They need a line to show upper and lower bands on the midi Item.

I THINK WE ARE GOOD NOW. I better pay FEED THE CAT. : - )

I added the same script to the "media item bottom half" on double click. Works fine now.

GOOD WORK TEAM !!!!

:-)

Last edited by 5ynth3t1k; 07-06-2024 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:26 AM   #66
pluginram

Quote:
Remember that there are more that one way to do thing here... which can be an issue

yes,Reaper is very customizable
Old 07-06-2024, 01:41 AM   #67
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
yes,Reaper is very customizable
Am very aware of that. This is of course both a blessing and curse.

I feel we have mounted the summit of this small hill and have a good view of the bright future.

Am stoked, now I have to write a text file to remind myself of how to do this if I ever have to reinstall reaper from scratch.

This new functionality is going to take a while to really sink in. It's a game changer for sure.

I should really make a tutorial video on my work flow for other people to look at. Not to change their own work flow but to show that there are other ways to work. :- )

Mate!

Have an awesome day. :-)
Old 07-06-2024, 01:46 AM   #68
pluginram

Quote:
Am stoked, now I have to write a text file to remind myself of how to do this if I ever have to reinstall reaper from scratch.

preferences/general/export configuration on a usb stick.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:49 AM   #69
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Working on it.

I set your script to both "midi item" and "midi item bottom half". Works really well.

Actually this is the way.

FYI:

I have pretty much killed "move edit cursor" on most mouse modifiers default actions. Therefore I only move the edit cursor by clicking on the time lime. This is my hill that will die on. Time selection has "move edit cursor" removed etc.

Ko-Fi is being weird and wont let me activate my account. Will give it some time to wake up and smell the coffee. It sends me the activation code and the link but when I input the activation code there is no button to action it. I think it needs a script... ha ha.

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2024, 01:52 AM   #70
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
preferences/general/export configuration on a usb stick.
sure, but I also like to remember exactly what is there. I can imagine that for some people its a monster spaghetti pile of unknown for gotten stuff etc.

I like to stay in charge/be able to set up by hand from scratch. This is the way in the MOBILE INFANTRY. Do you wish to know more?

Cheers mate.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:46 AM   #71
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Sorry to be a pest.

I have found an ISSUE.

When in play back, the mouse double click on the midi item position is ignored.

The ME opens at the "edit cursor".

Can this be changed to: opening the midi item at point of double click WHILE the play Back is playing back?

At the moment I have to stop play back to get the functionality that I need to operate.

Thank you!

Old 07-06-2024, 04:59 AM   #72
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Sorry to be a pest.

I have found an ISSUE.

When in play back, the mouse double click on the midi item position is ignored.

The ME opens at the "edit cursor".

Can this be changed to: opening the midi item at point of double click WHILE the play Back is playing back?

At the moment I have to stop play back to get the functionality that I need to operate.

Thank you!

Sure, here you go:
Old 07-06-2024, 06:42 PM   #73
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Sure, here you go:
Away from keeb at the moment.

You have no idea how much a HERO you are to me right now.

Taking a break from the studio today as i was in it for about 10 hours yesterday and I am rinsed out. Need to touch some grass etc.

Looking into why ko-fi is being weird.

I'm gonna have to write a song about you... I need a hook. hmmm.

Thank you wildly from the bottom of my heart.

Mate!
Old 07-07-2024, 12:43 AM   #74
pluginram

Default mmmmm

Quote:
Need to touch some grass etc.
you link this page on this page https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...98#post2794298

and my answer on that page is the same as my second gif on this feature request page.
man,seems like we post in circles..👼🏻

Last edited by pluginram; 07-07-2024 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2024, 01:03 AM   #75
FeedTheCat

Quote:
you link this page on this page https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...98#post2794298

and my answer on that page is the same as my second gif on this feature request page.
man,seems like we post in circles..👼🏻
The script has a user setting to move the edit cursor to mouse cursor, here you go:
Old 07-07-2024, 01:52 AM   #76
pluginram

Default script

Quote:
The script has a user setting to move the edit cursor to mouse cursor, here you go:
its the same as my second gif on this feature request page.
but he didn't pay you for the script with moving edit cursor.
he wrote "IT only moves when I click in the time line ruler."
the edit cursor=the playback cursor so if you double click the midi item,and then click the time line ruler for playback,
its much easier and faster to do like my second gif with custom action or your new posted script setting.
unless you edit without hearing what you edit or playback the edit.
did learn from his request ,i have to admit.
i keep it like my second gif....much easier than before.

Last edited by pluginram; 07-07-2024 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2024, 12:27 AM   #77
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Sure, here you go:
Ok, just got back into the groove.

Ugh. Ko-f1 uses damn PayPal.
BUT WAIT I can use my credit card.

SAVED ! 10 Euro heading your way.

Nope.

Fcuk this is bullshit!
"Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country"
What the quacktual fcuk.
This blows.

Can you take payment another way ??? This regional shit sucks.
Talk to me. I have a credit card. I can post you cash, probably breaking some laws etc...
Post card ? Can I buy something worth 10 euro from you by credit card, in your region ?

Gasp.

I'm gonna try out MOD-2 if it works i will be super stoked.

I have other things to fix too!!!!!

Dude you saved my ass.

THANK YOU !!!! : - )
Old 07-09-2024, 04:19 AM   #78
5ynth3t1k

Default FEED THE CAT - YOU ARE A GENIUS . A new request...

Quote:
Hey. Friends.

Title says it all.

I just tried out the latest script :
"FTC_MeMagic (9-1) Horizontally scroll to mouse or edit cursor_mod2.lua"

here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=72

And yes, it works. It's AMAZING. Pure GOLD.

A M A Z I N G.

This has enabled me to edit mid WHILE playing the track back. Even while looping.

EVEN WHILE LOOPING. !!!!

Far out. FEEDTHECAT is a hecking darn HERO.

I have struggled with reapers baseline features since reaper started. I hated them.
Now I am in LOVE with FEEDTHECATS script.

I am pumping out tunes. I am a tune pumping machine.
Got one on the monitors right now that is 137 BPM of Heavy Synth Wave Dance.
and it's sooo much easier to create now with FEEDTHECATS script.
Watch this space. I'm aiming to get a club track that pumps. No shit. Why? Because.

@FEEDTHECAT.

I now have a new idea request.

Instead of all the midi tracks having individual zoom levels can they have ONE ZOOM LEVEL.
So if I zoom in to n level, when I close the ME and open the ME for a different item the zoom level is the same. Reason is that I generally do not need various different levels of zoom when inspecting different midi items. One zoom to rule them is what I need.

Imagine the ME is a microscope, when you look at the midi items you want the magnification to be consistent. Consistency it a big deal for me.

Thank you tons.

Do you take gold payment ?

Mate!
Old 07-09-2024, 08:01 PM   #79
5ynth3t1k

Quote:
Set my script ...

Your message inbox is full! ha ha...busy person!

Message to you:

"Ko-fi.

Just emailed my friend in Germany.
He maybe able to do the Ko-fi thing.
Fingers crossed.

Cheers! You Rock. "

and you do rock.

Cheers!
Old 07-10-2024, 02:13 AM   #80
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Instead of all the midi tracks having individual zoom levels can they have ONE ZOOM LEVEL.
So if I zoom in to n level, when I close the ME and open the ME for a different item the zoom level is the same. Reason is that I generally do not need various different levels of zoom when inspecting different midi items. One zoom to rule them is what I need.
Bit harder to do than you would think. Every time you change zoom level you'd need to notify the script that it changed. (either via a second script or while running in the background)

I have some scripts that will pick a smart zoom level based on how many notes and how long the notes are in the area you clicked on. If you installed my scripts via ReaPack there's a lot of option to "smart zoom".

Quote:
Just emailed my friend in Germany.
He maybe able to do the Ko-fi thing.
Fingers crossed.
No worries, if it works out it works out.