Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
357mag
Human being with feelings

Default JS Loser Exciter

I kind of like what an Exciter does to the sound. It seems to add a little high end sparkle. But what do the controls mean?

Frequency
Clip Boost
Harmonics
Mix Back

I gather the Frequency probably means which specific frequency the Exciter is boosting. But I don't know what the others signify.
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
dub3000

exciters generally work by using controlled distortion of a very limited band of frequencies (usually high frequencies) and mixing a band-limited version of that back in with the original signal - this mimics what your ears do when they're being 'driven too loud'.

just guessing - clip boost is probably distortion depth, frequency is one of the filter frequencies and harmonics probably controls either the distortion type or the post-filter, mix back is the wet/dry control (might be wrong but that's going to be a decent starting point?)

cheers

--dan
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
LOSER

Frequency: high passes the signal so only the high frequecny content goes into the distortion process, described below
Clip Boost: boosts the signal into clipping
Harmonics: amount of harmonics to create (to much will sound distorted, use the clip boost to adjust how loud the signal gets driven into the harmonic creation process, which is mostly a simple waveshaper)
Mix Back: Level at which this abused.. er... distorted .. no .. wait ... excited .. yeah thats right ... signal gets mixed bach in
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
daal

Is that normal that flat default settings already change the sound of my master ??