Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Hut1
Human being with feelings

Default Can't set 96k sample rate (SOLVED)

I can set 96K sample rate in the project preferences and save successfully but the top right hand corner tells me 44.1 is selected. My Firewire interface control panel also says 44.1 as well but project preferences still says 96K as selected. I have tried other sample rates and new projects but no joy. Tested in cubase and all was fine. I have only noticed this since the latest download as it was always ok before (except it always said 32 bit instead of the selected 24 bit?)

Anyone any ideas? - Thanks

Last edited by Hut1; 06-16-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling and phrasing
Hut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Hut1

Default Cannot change sample rate from 44.1 32 bit in v1.866

I have been looking deeper into this and whatever sample rate and bit rate I select in the project settings Reaper v1.866 (top right hand corner) says 44.1 32.Bit and this is reflected in my Audio Hardware Control Panel for my M-Audio NRV-10. I have an earlier version of Reaper on another PC and can set the sample rate as expected. Has anyone else expereinced this or can anyone else try it for themselves to prove I am not going round the bend?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
tspring

If you are using an ASIO driver, I think that you have to set the sample rate via the driver's user interface. Reaper and your Firewire interface are both telling you that recording is occurring at 44.1 kHz even though the project preference is set at a different rate. By the way, AFAIK this is not a new thing.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Hut1

Default Can't set Sample Rate in Reaper

Hi T
Many thanks for your response but the Driver Interface is my Firewire Interface and there is no provision to change this in the ASIO control panel. In the previous version of Reaper and in other sequencers I can change the project settings and these reflect in the ASIO control panel. Something appears to have changed in this version.
Thanks again
Hut1
Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
feline1

I just logged onto the forum to report the exact same bug!
I just noticed this exact same thing happening to me today, using Reaper v1.868

I am WinXP SP2, and my soundcard is an M-Audio Firewire 1814, with their latest ASIO drive for XP (5.10.0.5036)

Basically, the "Project Sample Rate" setting in the Project dialogue, and the "Request Sample Rate" field in Reaper Preferences > Audio > Device do not seem to be working.

Reaper keeps recording at 44.1kHz no matter how many times I tell it to choose 96kHz, and this is reported in the top right-hand corner, and also in the M-Audio control panel.

Even worse: I tried playing some 96kHz WAV files in other applications (Audacity, even WinAmp!) - these correctly requested the correct sample rate from the soundcard and 96000 was displayed in its control panel: when I pressed CTRL+R in Reaper to go record, it first changed the sample rate BACK to 44100!!!

What is it playing at? :-/
feline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
feline1

OK - I managed a workaround -
if I have Audacity open and playing another 96k WAV file, and then put Reaper into record,
then Reaper will stay at 96k while it records...

I don't think Reaper is requesting sample rates properly via ASIO.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Hut1

Hi
I'm glad it's not just me going mad, I will have to try your work around with my Wavelab when I get a chance but we didn't have to do this in the previous version. Hopefully we will get a fix soon
Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #8
Hut1

Has anyone else out there noticed this, if not what is the easiest way to role back to a previous version where this problem didn't exist?
Kind Regards
Hut1
Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
feline1

yeah come on, this is a howler of a bug! :-/
Old 06-29-2007, 04:56 AM   #10
Hut1

Feline - Are we the only two who have this problem, Is there a new setting we are missing?
Once this has been fixed or I am advised of the additional settings required to make this work then I will be able to user Reaper again - Hopefully the answer will come soon
Old 06-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #11
feline1

I cannot see any other relevant settings in the user interface for this...

I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been more response to this bug.

It was particularly striking for me, cos I logged on the forum to report it, and saw a thread from someone who already had the exact same problem.

What soundcard are you using with Reaper on your system?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:45 AM   #12
Alistair S

It works fine here. I'm not sure what to say. I wonder if other M-Audio users have issues.

Have you tried using Asio4All to see if it has the same issue? It might help pin it down.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Hut1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
It works fine here. I'm not sure what to say. I wonder if other M-Audio users have issues.

Have you tried using Asio4All to see if it has the same issue? It might help pin it down.
Hi Alistair, Thanks for your input but -if it is the Driver then again it has only happened from version 1.868 onwards. Prior to that I had no problem with my M-Audio NRV 10 and selecting a 96K Sample Rate. I did try the ASIO4ALL as you suggested and it would let me change the settings but if Reaper didn't crash then clicking on Play the song would not move so I unistalled again.
Kind Regards
Mick
Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
Hut1

Does anyone know of any other recommended Generic ASIO Drivers that I can try with Reaper and my M-Audio NRV-10 since the recent Reaper Upgrades appear to have disabled my ability to change the Sample Rate in Reaper. As above I have already tried ASIO4ALL but this just crashed Reaper.
Any help will be appreciated

Kind Regards
Hut1
Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
Hut1

Quote:
Feline Wrote:-
OK - I managed a workaround -
if I have Audacity open and playing another 96k WAV file, and then put Reaper into record,
then Reaper will stay at 96k while it records...

I was able to do the same by playing a 96K 24 Bit Wav in Wavelab then I opened Reaper and it would stay at 96K 24 Bit (Although top right hand corner actually says 32 Bit) for recording and playback and even opening other projects or starting new ones but f I open Reaper without this wav playing then it defaults to 44.1K 16 Bit and won't budge.
I ran an old version (1.862) from a USB stick that I had it installed on, on the same PC with the same Soundcard (M-audio NRV-10) and I can change and hold sample rates in Reaper no problem. Definitely a problem with the newer version and maybe only against M-Audio Cards??
Old 07-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
feline1

please can we have this bug looked at
Old 07-14-2007, 04:38 AM   #17
Hut1

I introduced my brother to Reaper last night and he has a Creative Audigy Card, No Problems selecting the desired sample rate at all. Has Cockos had an Argument with M-Audio and pulled it's support for their ASIO Drivers in the recent upgrades? - What is going on and can we have this fixed please like it was in the earlier versions of Reaper?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #18
Hut1

Default Hopes Fading...

Just returned from holiday and downloaded the latest Reaper to see if my problem had been fixed, alas no! In fact it is worse now because the workaround of playing a 96K 24Bit File in Wavelab and then opening Reaper does not work anymore. As soon as you stop the Wavelab file eaper returns to 44.1K. What has Reaper got against M-Audio Drivers in the later versions? It look like I will have to reluctantly return to Cubase if this cannot be fixed, despite paying for my license with the earlier versions when this was not a problem.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #19
alex zonder

Hut I feel sorry for you seeing you're still experiencing the same problem. I can't help you out if even the request sample rate settings don't work for you, but would suggest to send Justin a PM on this for it needs to be adressed.
alex zonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #20
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I cant repro this

Anyone who has maudio cards can you check?

pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #21
sstillwell

Is your M-Audio card the system sound card? That will sometimes lock it into a single sound rate. I have an M-Audio FastTrack USB that I was using last night with 2.0beta5 and had no problems switching between projects at 44.1 and 48.0kHz (all that the FastTrack USB supports). My MOTU 828mkII switches to any sample rate without a hitch.

Scott
sstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #22
Hut1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
Is your M-Audio card the system sound card? That will sometimes lock it into a single sound rate. I have an M-Audio FastTrack USB that I was using last night with 2.0beta5 and had no problems switching between projects at 44.1 and 48.0kHz (all that the FastTrack USB supports). My MOTU 828mkII switches to any sample rate without a hitch.

Scott
Hi Scott
The M-Audio NRV-10 is a Firewire Mixer and worked fine in earlier versions of Reaper. It also reacts correctly in Cubase.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #23
Billoon

Using M-Audio Delta44 here...no problem.

Are you using ASIO?

Can you set you windows sounds to the onboard soundcard and see if that helps...or Virtual Audio Cable demo, if no onboard sound.

http://software.muzychenko.net/vac408.zip
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #24
Hut1

Hi Billoon

I'm using the Latest ASIO driver for the NRV-10 and have also tried ASIO4ALL but that just crashes Reaper. I will check my Windows Sound Settings when I get home but when the NRV-10 is not powered up the sound defaults to the onboard sound of my Laptop. Again. I still have an earlier version of Reaper (1.861) on a Flash Card and if I use that everything is fine. Done of my Hardware/Software or Drivers have changed except the updates to Reaper.
Thanks for your Input
Hut1
Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #25
Billoon

OK...have you tried enabling the "ignore ASIO reset messages" option in options>prefs>device.

Theres a couple of other options there that might be worth trying as well..."allow project to overide device sample rate" and "request sample rate".
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #26
Hut1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billoon View Post
OK...have you tried enabling the "ignore ASIO reset messages" option in options>prefs>device.

Theres a couple of other options there that might be worth trying as well..."allow project to overide device sample rate" and "request sample rate".
Hi Billoon

I have tried all the above and no joy I am afraid, all but the request sample rate were already ticked anyway. Appreciate your help
Hut1
Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #27
Mercado_Negro

Default Projectmix I/O

Hi...

well same problem here... i got a projectmix I/O and I can't switch to 88.200Hz using ASIO drivers. It keeps saying 44.1kHz.

I got a question: when I switch to Wave Out I can set it to 88.200Hz but latency goes up like hell (even when I try to keep samples low). i would like to somebody explain this to me!
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #28
Billoon

Hi Hut1,

The only thing i can think to suggest then is that, if youve got a bit of time...find the last version that worked and report back here. Might make it easier for Cockos to track down what changed.

The other versions are available from the download page.

B.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #29
Hut1

Hi Billoon

I have just booted up Reaper 1.861 and it is fine.
I first raised it on 16th June 2007 with version 1.866

Justin - I don't know if the above is any help in investigating this.

Mercado Negro (above) seems to have a similar problem that is not M-Audio related although I am not sure of the origins of Projectmix.

Many Thanks
Hut1
Old 09-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #30
Mercado_Negro

Hut1...

Projectmix is M-Audio
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #31
CoffeeMilkshake

As I've owned one Delta let me say this, when in Cubase I ALWAYS had to exit/quit and after change the samplerate in the M-Audio Driver Panel. Then, ONLY then, could I return to Cubase and set the desired sample rate, mirroring the value I entered before in the Driver Panel. Have you guys tried this?

Btw, this was a real bummer!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #32
Hut1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMilkshake View Post
As I've owned one Delta let me say this, when in Cubase I ALWAYS had to exit/quit and after change the samplerate in the M-Audio Driver Panel. Then, ONLY then, could I return to Cubase and set the desired sample rate, mirroring the value I entered before in the Driver Panel. Have you guys tried this?

Btw, this was a real bummer!
Hi

This definitely seems to be M-Audio Related. I never have to restart cubase after a sample rate change and there is no function to change my sample rate in the M-Audio interface. This still doesn't make sense of the fact that it worked perfectly well in eralier versions of Reaper and I have not changed the M-Audio Drivers or any other software, hardware or updates?
Thanks for your continued suggestions and support
Hut1
Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 AM   #33
Hut1

Someone kindly added *INVESTIGATING* to the title some time ago, not sure who - Any developments on this issue which is a real show stopper for doing anything serious with Reaper at this stage until I can select between 44.1K 48K or 96K as required and desired? Other than this I love the program and registered a while back.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #34
mastarks

Default M Audio FW-410 works fine

Try the new 2.0 version. File>Project Settings>Audio settings tab
check project sample. type 96000
click save as default project settings.
Hope that helps you
mastarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #35
Hut1

Default M-Audio NRV-10 Still cant set Sample Rates above 44.1K

Hi Mastarks
Many thanks for your input but this was already set. I tried doing it again and resaving but no matter what I do I cannot get a sample rate of anything other than 44.1K. Maybe someone is still investigating but it has been months now and as above it used to be fine in older versions. It's a real puzzle but hopefully one day we will get there. I guess Justin and Christophe have been too busy with V2.0 to have the time to worry about this little problem than only seems to affect a few people.
That said the new version is great and I have every faith that this will be rectified one day
Cheers
Hut1
Old 10-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #36
Hut1

I was excited to see that v2008 included a possible fix for correcting the Sample Rate issue I have been expeienceing with my NRV-10 since the latter versions of 1.8 upwards. Alas, it now defaults to 48K instead of 44.1 and will not change when I adjust the settings in either existing or new projects.

Still, it is encouraging to know that it is being looked into and I am confident there will be a resolution in the not too distant future

Keep up the good work Justin & Christophe

Hut1
Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #37
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I havent seen a clear answer whether you guys have tried setting the system sounds to the onboard soundcard.

Knowing this would go a long way to knowing where to look.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #38
Baer

I've only read the first dozen or so posts here, so pardon my laziness if someone's already mentioned this.

I keep seeing the problem stated with reference to changing the sample rate in the "project settings". In my experience, the project settings sample rate only controls what's happening within the Reaper project.

To change the ASIO settings to affect the hardware, you need to change the rate in Reaper's Preferences > Audio > Device.

Again, sorry if this has already been mentioned.
Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 AM   #39
Hut1

Hi Baer - Correct these have already been tried, thanks for your input anyway.
Pipelineaudio - Are you saying that I should enable the onboard soundboard? Currently everything in Windows > Sounds is set to no sounds and my M-Audio device as the recording and playback device. I take it I need to set the Playback Device to the Onboard Soundcard?
Being intrigued I have just read an online article saying that not having the onboard soundboard enabled can cause sample rate mismatches but I thought this would have affected all DAW applications (e.g. Cubase) and with this I have no problems. Also as stated above, earlier versions of Reaper worked perfectly and no other settings have been changed. I am not in front of the PC at the moment but will try enabling the onboard card at my earliest opportunity to see if it works with the current version of Reaper.
I did install v2009 last night and the Sample Rate displayed in the Top Right Hand Corner is now back to 44.1K from 48K that v2008 displayed.
Thanks to all for your continued contributions
Hut1
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #40
Hut1

Default Solved

Well I would never have believed it but changing the Windows settings to the Onboard Soundcard seems to have done the trick despite the original setup woring in earlier versions of Reaper and my current version of Cubase.
I have yet to do any serious recording but my hopes are high. Many thanks to all those who have contributed to this issue
Long Live Reaper!
Hut1