Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
lobserve
Human being with feelings

Default can't record and listen with usb connection guitar

I can't record my guitar via a digitech pedal with a usb output and hear reaper at the same time.

Here is my setup

I have my guitar running through a DigiTech RP150 pedal that has a USB out to the computer. I have an m-audio audiophile 2496 sound card in the computer with RCA outs that go to a mixer and then to a stereo amp and stereo speakers. The DigiTech RP150 pedal also has a 1/4 output jack to the mixer so that I can hear the guitar.

I can't set up the audio device setting in Reaper to record from the USB connect and listen to audio from Reaper at the same time. If I use the ASIO drivers for the sound card I can hear through Reaper fine but can't record the guitar. If I use the ASIO drivers for the RP150 pedal then I can record but I can't hear sound from Reaper.

Not exactly sure how the audio device settings work in Reaper but the input and output are always linked: both USB or both m-audio, depending on which driver I choose.

Any help on getting input from the USB and output to the sound card would be appreciated. (Or maybe I need a completely different hook-up)
lobserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
capthook

I've got an RP250...

I use the USB to record. RP250 ASIO driver in Reaper, with the ASIO configuration (latency) a few clicks from the left as the driver is rather buggy elsewise.

Now... to monitor:
I run a 1/8" to 1/8" cable from the headphone out of the RP250 into the line-in of the sound card and *don't* enable monitoring in Reaper.
And select 'line-in' from the sound card panel.
Adjusting all/any/and/or the 'line-in/record' level, the 'line-in' level, the volume level or the speaker level adjusts the monitor level.
For recording level, adjust any/and/or the patch level, amp level, amp gain, USB mix level on the RP.

So the ASIO/USB records from the RP250, but monitoring is through the soundcard (via the cable from the headphone out to the line-in) with zero latency.
capthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
lobserve

I have essentially that but without the headphone jack connection as I have a separate amp and speakers connected to the 1/4 inch jack in the pedal. This issue is that when I play what is recorded in reaper it comes back through the USB into the pedal and then into the mixer. How can I go in through the USB to record but out of the sound card to play what has been recorded?
lobserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
capthook

When recording USB/ASIO, the output from Reaper is routed back to the RP.
('turning off' the computer speakers)
Many people then use headphones from the RP to monitor.
I prefer my speakers, like you.

The *headphone out* from the RP needs to be sent to wherever you want to listen from.
In your case, you need to route the headphone out into your amp.
So guessing you'll need a 1/8" to 1/4" cable (or adapter)

Edit:
And maybe I'm not reading your question right....
If *after* recording, you want to go back to 'normal' mode - ie: sound out of the computer speakers/sound card, switch your Sound Device in Reaper Preferences back to whatever... ie: ASIO-4-All, Creative ASIO, WaveOut, DirectSound etc.
Anytime the RP ASIO driver is active, no sound will come through the computer speakers. (unless routed as I described earlier)
I've added an icon to the toolbar menu that goes to the Reaper Sound Device setup with 1-click. (search the actions menu for it and pick an icon)

Last edited by capthook; 01-14-2010 at 12:53 AM.
capthook is offline   Reply With Quote