Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
DDDan
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Wacom Cintiq 21 doesn't register most pen clicks

Hi, I've been using a cintiq 21" pen screen for many years in Pro Tools. Works absolutely great! Recently I switched for a big chunk of my work to Reaper for many reasons. But the Wacom doesn't work very well with Reaper, and I cannot figure out why.
It might be a setting in Reaper (tried all kinds of things) but if that is the case I cannot find it.

What happens to me is that half of the time when I click on a button (like solo, mute) Reaper doesn't register it as a click. The wacom does, because there's a led that lights up when you tap the screen. And when I switch to Pro Tools, everything works fine. (just tried Logic, works fine as well)

With Reaper it seems as if it doesn't register every click as a real click. It is definitely related to selected track, because once a track is selected (highlighted) then the buttons respond most of the time. But when I click on a solo/mute button of another track it will sometimes mute/solo but more often it will not respond to my clicking. When I use the mouse to select a different track then it works again. But the behaviour is quite erratic, sometimes it just works, sometimes it doesn't seem to matter what you do, it just doesn't respond.
Some things I tried:
use pen/tablet safe mode on/off, doesn't make a difference
mouse click changes track selection of/off doesn't make a difference.

I have re-installed the latest version of Wacom, re-calibrated, checked all options in the Wacom software. but I have no clue what to do.
The pen works fine in all other applications, but a friend of mine who is a software developer found it highly unlikely that Reaper would process clicks in a different way. Any help/input is appreciated, maybe someone can shine a light on some sort of 'selected track state' would also like to know if there are other users who use the Wacom pen screen and do not have this problem... Thanks, Daniel
DDDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I don't have a cintiq here to test. But here's a thought (straight off the top of my head) with possibly no merit:

Could this be multi-touch related? If you leave a touch hanging (such as on a device with poor palm rejection, i.e. not a cintiq) then it blocks further touches. Reaper just keeps listening for a touch-off from the first touch, and ignores newer touch-ons until that has happened. This leads to a frustrating experience that doesn't sound a million miles away from what you're dealing with.

Before you dive into your settings, if your cintiq has the top-left touch button, for a start try turning that off.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
DDDan

Hi White Tie
thanks a lot for your suggestion, you could be very right, it sounds as if it is waiting for a touch-off, although there are some differences. This is a pen tablet, and therefor not multitouch. But it is pressure sensitive, and after you suggestion I played around with that setting some more, but no luck.

Also, the more I test what exactly happens, it seems to have some relationship with the selected track. Within a selected track most of the time I can mute/unmute/solo/unsolo/input and it will register almost every click. But when I click on the mute/solo of another track it will most of the time not respond, and the previous track doesn't get dis-selected. Even clicking outside the tracks will not de-sellect the selected track. Once I've de-selected all tracks then the solo/mute/etc. buttons will respond to the pen click.

note: I use solo/mute/etc. as example, but the same applies for clicking on a different input, send, automation select, etc.

Any input is appreciated. I love working with the pen screen, I am doing some heavy automated sessions at the moment and that is such a joy with a pen. (used to have a remote fader set, but this is so much better, and I miss it in Reaper. (although Reaper is great with key commands;-)

Thanks, Daniel
Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDan View Post
This is a pen tablet, and therefor not multitouch.
er... are you sure? There are Cintiq's that do do multitouch (yes I said dodo), I assumed they all did. You might want to check and, if so (since you're obviously not using it ) turn all that stuff off.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps ask on the Wacom forum for people to download the Reaper trial and see if they can replicate the problme? Are they nice over there?
Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
DDDan

Quite sure. It is a >12 year old model, I have had it since 12 years, and it was on the market for a while. And the thing is, it is a pen screen. Doesn't respond to fingers. And most people can handle only one pen ;-)
And there are no multitouch options anywhere in the settings. But thanks.

Guess you're right, next stop is Wacom (although Pro Tools, logic and others have no problem at all) but I doubt if they want to support a >12 year old model.

But I'll try...

Thanks a lot for your help, it is good to know that there is such a thing as touch off, and most probably Wacom, maybe because of the pressure sensitivity thing that I don't use, might use a slightly different mouse-off.

Best, Daniel
Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Ulf3000

my wacom intous works fine .. but before using reaper i always had mouse acceleration disabled in the windows mouse settings , when i began using reaper i had to re-enable it again or it was EXTRMELY hard to slect item and note edges , track-boundarys , stretchmarkers basically everything with a 1 pixel wideness
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:03 AM   #7
DDDan

Hi Ulf3000,
thanks for the reply. I checked my mouse settings, but I suppose you're on Windows while I am on a mac. Can't change much in the settings, except speed and stuff, which doesn't really apply. And I guess that the Intuos might mimic mouse behaviour more than the Cintiq pen screen.
(with the cintiq you have the pen directly on the screen that you're working on, instead of a separate tablet (like the intuos) which translates what you do on the tablet to mouse movements on the screen)

But thanks again, any hint that might lead to a solution is welcomed... ;-)

Daniel
Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDan View Post
Hi Ulf3000,
thanks for the reply. I checked my mouse settings, but I suppose you're on Windows while I am on a mac. Can't change much in the settings, except speed and stuff, which doesn't really apply. And I guess that the Intuos might mimic mouse behaviour more than the Cintiq pen screen.
(with the cintiq you have the pen directly on the screen that you're working on, instead of a separate tablet (like the intuos) which translates what you do on the tablet to mouse movements on the screen)

But thanks again, any hint that might lead to a solution is welcomed... ;-)

Daniel
Hi, did you figure out what this might be? I have one of the newer Intuos Pro medium tablets. Its great and I won't ever return to the mouse. However when using reaper in the main arrangement area, it doesn't register every click (pen nib tap) which is a little annoying to move the cursor to the click point. All other features of reaper like clicking buttons all work correctly. If I click directly over the time ruler section just above the main arrange, it registers every click so something is stopping it from receiving when using it just in the main arrange area. Its not the end of the world but its annoying that is isn't quite getting all of the clicks. I've been using the right click setup on my pen button to get around this problem which saves having to move up to the time ruler area just to move cursor. Double clicks work all the time in the arrange area. Its working fine in Ableton Live too. I'm on a Mac too.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
DDDan

Hi White Tie,
Nope, never figured it out. it's working fine with any other program, but Reaper seems to deal with pen clicks in a different way. Weirdest is that some stuff works fine, but once I have a track selected it just doesn't want to select a different track.
So I kinda gave up, and put my Wacom in the upright position, get my trackpad and forget about my pen. Although I love Reaper, this made me go back for more stuff to Pro Tools, where the Wacom works without any issues.
Spoke to a programmer and he couldn't understand what was happening either. I guess the only ones who can shed a light on this are the Reaper developers, but I understand they've got more important things to do... ;-)

Good luck, Daniel
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Ideosound

Just as an update, I've moved to a new mac with High Sierra (from El Capitan before). The Wacom pen click does now register every left click in the arrangement area in Reaper (to click to move cursor). I think it was some issue with El Capitan.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:08 AM   #11
DDDan

Hey, thanks for the update. Will give it a try, although I wasn't working with El Capitan (El Crapitan according to many) but with Sierra. At the moment too busy to do an update High Sierra (always prepared that something will not work with a new OS) but I'll try it when I have some time on my hands.

Thanks again for the tip.

Dan