Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
mewthree
Human being with feelings

Default How to: Repeat a chord or an arpeggio for improvisation

Hi, I think it's my first message here! Good community!-

Let's say I have an arpeggio 4 or 8 bar. What I want to do is I want this to play along while I improvise over this and while recording it.

I'll press the record button. My arpeggio will keep playing and Reaper will pick my right-hand notes.

I can't seem to get this in a satisfactory way. Would you care to explain how can I have this
mewthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

If the item actually fits the measures, then just grab the right side of it and drag to the right for as long as you want it to loop. By default, items are set to "loop source"

If it doesn't fit the measures properly - like if you do the above and it doesn't loop smoothly - then you need to make it fit first and then glue it before you drag out the loops.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
mewthree

the problem is, most of the time it doesn't fit the measure.
I'm not great on finding the right tempo, key signature and quantizing. so... maybe I should work on those?
what're your tips on making them fit?
mewthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

I guess if it's like just freeform and kind of a random length, I'd start by making a time selection that looks about right, then turn on the loop button on the transport and play it back while adjusting the beginning and/or ends of that selection until it loops smoothly.

Then you have to make the item actually fit that selection. If it's too long, especially if it's long in both directions, the quickest way is probably to ctrl-click and drag from inside the selection. This will make a copy of the part of the item that is inside the selection. Drop that on some empty spot on the timeline - even on another track if you want. Then glue that to itself and you'll have a good loopable chunk.

If it's too short, though, it's probably easiest to do Insert - Empty Item which should fill the time selection with an empty item behind the original. Select both items and glue them.

It's always a heck of a lot easier when it's originally recorded to the grid, though.

Edit - If the item happens to be too long in one direction and too short in the other, then do both procedures but in opposite order. Add the empty item, glue the two together, drag a copy out of the selection, and glue it to itself.

There are of course several other ways to do this, but I think this way is just quick and easy. There may be actions (possibly SWS) or scripts around that will do it even quicker, but I don't think this is too bad.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 05-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
hopi

might be wrong but it sounds like maybe you are dealing with short media items that have been recorded already? I'm saying that you got from somewhere or other...

If so... try to import them via the Media Explorer and set it to tempo match
of course you have to set your project bpm to something first

see if that works for you to get it synced to the grid and if yes then drag it out to loop it