Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-19-2024, 08:38 AM   #2321
nlamont
Human being with feelings

Hi - me again. This isn't so much something not working as - it seems to work but I don't get why and wonder if I've set things up wrong. It's to do with the reabank files.

The documentation says:
------------------------------------------------------
Reaticulate directly manages REAPER's assigned global Reabank file, which it dynamically assembles from both the distributed factory banks and your own custom banks. Relative to REAPER's resource directory (which you can find by invoking the REAPER action "Show REAPER Resource path"), these files are:

Factory banks: Scripts/Reaticulate/Reaticulate-factory.reabank
A selection of banks are bundled with Reaticulate for you to use, but you can't edit these
User banks: Data/Reaticulate.reabank
This file is where you store all your personal or imported banks
--------------------

That's fine, I get that. In my Data folder there are two files - reaticulate.reabank and reaticulate-tmp128.reabank.

When I click the pencil symbol to Manage Banks, it opens reaticulate.reabank. That is where I've been putting my articulations for my Musio patches.

But when I'm in the MIDI editor and want to insert a bank change, it gives me the option to Load File which defaults to reaticulate.reabank. If I load that, it has none of the Musio articulations I've added, only articulations I added last year for other orchestral products. However if I do Load File and pick reaticulate-tmp128.reabank all my recent additions are there and can be selected.

What puzzles me is that they're all written into reaticulate.reabank and NOT written into reaticulate-tmp128.reabank. Inside that file, in addition to saying it's a generated file and not to edit it, it has some articulations I wrote last week, minus the comment lines and codes. So to use the recent articulations I have to load the file that doesn't contain them! I can do it fine, but I just wonder if it's working the way it should.

So far we're looking only at the two reabank files in the Data folder. In the Scripts/Reaticulate folder there are also three reabank files:
reaticulate.reabank
reaticulate NL copy OLD.reabank
reaticulate-factory.reabank

The last two are fairly self-explanatory; this reaticulate.reabank doesn't have the recent Musio articulations.

So my questions:
- is this working as it should?
- should I have two versions of reaticulate.reabank in two locations?
- if not what should I do with them to rationalise them?
nlamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:11 AM   #2322
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlamont View Post
That's fine, I get that. In my Data folder there are two files - reaticulate.reabank and reaticulate-tmp128.reabank.
You can ignore the tmp file. I will look to relocate this file to a different path in the future. I put it in the Data directory because this is a reliable place for REAPER scripts to write, but it has caused some confusion more than once.

The tmp file is generated dynamically by Reaticulate based on the banks currently loaded into the currently active project. Add a bank to a track in Reaticulate, and a new tmp file (with an incremented number) is generated to include that bank, and REAPER is reconfigured to point to that new generated reabank file.

Quote:
When I click the pencil symbol to Manage Banks, it opens reaticulate.reabank. That is where I've been putting my articulations for my Musio patches.
That's the right place.

Quote:
But when I'm in the MIDI editor and want to insert a bank change, it gives me the option to Load File which defaults to reaticulate.reabank.
The default should always be the Reaticulate-tmp<n>.reabank file unless you've overridden it previously.

Quote:
If I load that, it has none of the Musio articulations I've added, only articulations I added last year for other orchestral products.
So you're kind of mixing worlds here.

The questions you're asking here really get into the internal workings of Reaticulate -- how I've been able to bolt on dynamic articulation management into a REAPER capability really not intended for that through sheer force of will -- because you've strayed outside of Reaticulate's intended/documented operation.

It's ok, and I'm happy to explain it all, it's just important to realize this isn't the expected user experience when you work within Reaticulate. The rough edges and wonky behavior you're hitting isn't something you should expect when using Reaticulate's intended workflows.

With that out of the way, the reason the Musio articulations you added to Reaticulate.reabank aren't showing up when you explicitly load Reaticulate.reabank via REAPER's native Bank/Program Select (and you shouldn't do that) is that Reaticulate uses asterisks ("*") in place of bank numbers in the bank definition, which isn't something REAPER supports, so REAPER simply ignores these banks.

In general, Reaticulate expects that it fully manages the reabank file for the project and that articulations are inserted through Reaticulate (either via the interface or by using one of its associated actions). You can technically using REAPER's native Bank/Program Select function, but if you also override the current reabank via the "Load File" button, you'll be fighting with Reaticulate in this regard.

In this case, you'll almost certainly start seeing all kinds of wrong behavior, including and especially seeing numeric articulations (e.g. "59-70-1") instead of the articulation name, because REAPER is no longer able to resolve the program. This can be remediated by clicking "Fix numeric articulation names" under the Track Tweaks section of the track configuration screen in Reaticulate's GUI.

Quote:
What puzzles me is that they're all written into reaticulate.reabank and NOT written into reaticulate-tmp128.reabank.
Yeah, this is expected. Like I mentioned above, the tmp file will only contain banks that were previously added to the current project via Reaticulate's track configuration screen.

Quote:
So my questions:
- is this working as it should?
It sounds like Reaticulate is, but definitely avoid the REAPER-native Bank/Program Select stuff and insert articulations exclusively via Reaticulate.

Quote:
- should I have two versions of reaticulate.reabank in two locations?
Yes, but with the full benefit of hindsight I deeply regret storing the generated tmp reabank in the same directory.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:25 AM   #2323
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthem View Post
Is there a way to put in a specific articulation with a MIDI button with less than 4 button presses? Or at least if I could double tap just the articulation, that'd speed things up quite a bit.
This actually is how it's supposed to work. The "activate" actions for Reaticulate will trigger the articulation in question (handy for live auditioning), and if you double-issue (within some threshold, I think 500ms) these actions then they should insert the articulation into the MIDI item. Same as it works when you click in the GUI.

I tested this out locally and it works, but that was in my local dev branch of Reaticulate. When I switched back to the latest 0.5.x release I see it's not working for some reason.

This is a bug, I'll look to cut a hotfix for it.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:39 AM   #2324
nlamont

Thank you Tack for that detailed reply. It all makes sense. I'd no idea the Reaper bank change wasn't the thing to do.

I'll go over everything again. And thanks for this excellent tool!
Old 02-19-2024, 09:49 AM   #2325
tack

Default 0.5.13 released

0.5.13 is a hotfix for the 0.5 series of releases.

See also the release notes for 0.5.

Installing
If you're a new user (not upgrading), just follow these installation instructions.

Upgrading
If you've installed using ReaPack, you can upgrade to this release by following the updating instructions.

Here are the changes since 0.5.11:

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed bug where quickly double-running the "Activate articulation slot number by CC on default channel" was not inserting the articulation in the current MIDI item
  • Fixed another crash that could occur with some malformed/invalid banks

(Note: 0.5.12 was discarded due to an improper build process.)

Last edited by tack; 02-19-2024 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:54 AM   #2326
tack

Quote:
Or at least if I could double tap just the articulation, that'd speed things up quite a bit.
Should be fixed in the latest release. (This is how it was always supposed to work.)
Old 02-19-2024, 10:43 AM   #2327
nlamont

I think I'll go back to basics and take away all the reabank files I've created, downloading the basic ones again. I'll then gradually reintroduce the ones I've set up now that I understand better how it's supposed to work.

One question: a lot of my patches have a keyswitch option. Is it preferable for any reason to use that instance with Reaticulate sending a note to trigger the keyswitch or to do it as I've done it up till now with multiple instances on one track with each articulation on a different channel?

I'd like to get as close as I can to the intended use of Reaticulate.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:49 AM   #2328
tack

Quote:
One question: a lot of my patches have a keyswitch option. Is it preferable for any reason to use that instance with Reaticulate sending a note to trigger the keyswitch or to do it as I've done it up till now with multiple instances on one track with each articulation on a different channel?
For multi-articulation patches that are keyswitchable, you'll typically have a Reaticulate bank that defines all the articulations in that patch and sends out the appropriate keyswitches to change them. This is usually how people prefer to work (myself included).

But this is entirely up to you and your preferred workflow. If you've developed a workflow with a particular library that involves using multi-timbral setups (single-articulation patch per channel) for reasons unrelated to articulation management (which Reaticulate would help with), then there's nothing wrong with that either.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:04 PM   #2329
vsthem

Thanks for looking at this Tack!

Getting this error with the update.

11:02:25.910 [INFO] (0.23 / 0.23 ms) DPI is 256
11:02:25.910 [DEBUG] (0.015 / 0.25 ms) discover scaling
11:02:25.911 [DEBUG] baseapp: wrote ext state "config" (size=636 persist=true)

Doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks!
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:08 PM   #2330
tack

Quote:
Doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but thought I'd bring it up.
Damn, accidentally slipped in my dev branch of rtk in the Reaticulate build. Not an error as such, but debug logging was force-enabled regardless of the log level you had configured in Reaticulate's settings.

Thanks for catching! I'll rush out another version.

Last edited by tack; 02-19-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:24 PM   #2331
tack

I swapped 0.5.12 for 0.5.13 and removed 0.5.12 from ReaPack. If you recently updated, try updating again to get the fixed build.

Sorry about that!
Old 02-19-2024, 03:15 PM   #2332
vsthem

Working great.

FWIW, I needed to hit the slot MIDI CC 4x to trigger the articulation. So I then set both the ON and OFF values to 1-5, and now I only need to hit the button 2x.

So now I have it setup to where I just quickly tap the button twice to trigger the articulation, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case it was throwing something else off.

Thanks for the quick fix(es)!
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 06:34 PM   #2333
kdarkthought

Default Chase Midi Channels

Hey Tack,

I think I'm misunderstanding something, and I have a feeling it's user error. Based on the documentation, it seems like I should be able to chase CC values across multiple channels as long as those CC's are delineated in the .reabank file.

Using the Cinematic Studio Strings Section factory patch, I tested this out, but I have not been able to get, for example, CC1 on Midi Channel 1, to chase properly when an articulation is set to Midi Channel 2. Once the articulation is set to a channel other than 1, the midi CC has no effect on the channel in question. I'm trying to avoid writing CC's across multiple channels, unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks!
kdarkthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 06:45 PM   #2334
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarkthought View Post
Using the Cinematic Studio Strings Section factory patch,
Just to underline what chasing is, from the docs:

Quote:
CC chasing occurs when switching articulations between patches across different MIDI channels.
So it's really for the multi-timbral instrument use case, typically when you have different single-articulation patches strewn across a number of MIDI channels. In contrast, the factory CSS bank is a single-channel bank and doesn't use multiple channels.

So when you say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarkthought View Post
I tested this out, but I have not been able to get, for example, CC1 on Midi Channel 1, to chase properly when an articulation is set to Midi Channel 2.
... it sounds like you're trying to have midi on multiple source channels in the MIDI item send to the same patch?

There's quite a lot of ambiguity and possible configurations, so just to get right to the heart of the matter, could you attach a single-track RPP file that uses CSS and the factory bank, with a MIDI item that captures what you're doing in as concise a way as possible, and describe what you're expecting to happen?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2024, 09:07 AM   #2335
kdarkthought

"So it's really for the multi-timbral instrument use case..."

That's exactly what I'm going for, actually! I think the mistake I'm making is mixing up the midi channel functionality built into the GUI for sending articulations to different channels, vs. having the multi-channel functionality built into the bank. These are completely different functions, yeah?

(Not to get into too much detail, but I actually don't mind single-channel, however I have to separate shorts and longs for stem-printing, and since most Kontakt libraries don't support articulation routing like that, I *have* to use separate channels.)

If I wanted to take that CSS factory patch and make it multi-channel the way you're describing, I'm assuming I just need to add the channels into the .reabank (by copying it into the user file, deleting the ID so it regenerates, and adding the channel flags manually?) but ONLY use channel 1 in the actual GUI (and not click on channel 2 or other channels with the mouse), right?

If what I'm getting at is right, I'm sure I can solve this without you having to open my files, but if not, happy to send them still.

Thanks!
kdarkthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:43 AM   #2336
inthevoid

Hi all, I'm having an issue using Reaticulate with record-armed tracks (both auto and non-auto record-armed).

When I have Reaticulate on an record-armed track, and the playhead crosses over the articulation change, playback in Reaper completely glitches / stutters for a moment. This also happens when the articulation change is chased from earlier in the project (you can tell because playing back with the click, the first click of the beat I play from is inaudible.)

The problem completely disappears if the track isn't record-armed, or in the case of auto record-armed if the track isn't selected.

I'm loading my Reaticulate tracks in via track templates, if that helps at all. When I just load an instrument fresh with a new instance of Kontakt & Reaticulate I don't get this issue, at least not straight away.

Strangely, deleting and then reloading the Reaticulate FX on the track fixes the issue. However I work with a large template so isn't practical to reload all the Reaticulate instances every time I open a project.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated - thanks!
Old 03-03-2024, 04:29 PM   #2337
joeyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymboliC View Post
I finally managed to write a Lua script that works in conjunction with Reaticulate which changes Media Playback Offset on the fly according to the articulation being inserted on the track.

The test results are positive. I inserted several different articulations on random points in multiple tracks and I observed that each track adjusts its own MPO accordingly with a lookahead time and the articulations kick in aligned with the metronome be it either -20ms or -150ms etc. I did test it on 40 tracks and it's not CPU hungry either.

However it's not natively supported by Reaticulate(obviously) and needs some preparation exclusive to one's usage (like preparing a table of sample offsets as a CSV file and track naming conventions and etc).

Probably tomorrow I'm going to share it here so that others can refine and contribute to it.

Cheers,

This sounds awesome! How goes the progress on this, SymboliC?
joeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:42 PM   #2338
K8ch

Default How to open Reaticulate while MIDI editor is open?

There are no Reaticulate" actions in the MIDI editor...so, how do I open Reaticulate, while the MIDI editor window is open?

Do I need to use the "pass through" action?
If so...how do I do that?

Peace,
Keith
Old 03-08-2024, 01:21 PM   #2339
Kitarraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
There are no Reaticulate" actions in the MIDI editor...so, how do I open Reaticulate, while the MIDI editor window is open?

Do I need to use the "pass through" action?
If so...how do I do that?

Peace,
Keith
Hi Keith,
Afaik, there's no way you can ha Reaticulate show up in the MIDI Editor, as it works exclusively on the main window. If I undertood your question correctly, you need to either have the MIDI Editor float on top of REAPER's main window, or move the MIDI Editor window to another screen if you're using dual screens
Kitarraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:17 PM   #2340
K8ch

Default Let us open Reaticulate from the MIDI editing window!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarraman View Post
Hi Keith,
Afaik, there's no way you can ha Reaticulate show up in the MIDI Editor, as it works exclusively on the main window. If I understood your question correctly, you need to either have the MIDI Editor float on top of REAPER's main window, or move the MIDI Editor window to another screen if you're using dual screens
Gee...that's a shame.
I often get the urge to tweak the articulations during my MIDI editing.
I hate that I have to close the MIDI editor, just to open Reaticulate.

It seems logical that Reaticulate should open up, while MIDI editing is being done.
Instead, Reaticulate ONLY opens up in the main window -which it doesn't function in.

I love Reaticulate, but having to leave the MIDI editing window so I can start Reaticulate, seems silly.
Since we use Reaticulate in the MIDI editor, we should be able to open it, there.

Thoughts?
Old 03-08-2024, 07:27 PM   #2341
tack

Quote:
how do I open Reaticulate, while the MIDI editor window is open? Do I need to use the "pass through" action?
Yes, pass through is the way. First, if you haven't already done so, add a shortcut in the main window for Reaticulate_Main. Then edit the shortcuts for the "Pass through key to main window" action in the MIDI Editor and add the shortcut you chose for the main window to this action.

Then the same key can be used to open Reaticulate in both the MIDI editor and the main window.

Quote:
Instead, Reaticulate ONLY opens up in the main window -which it doesn't function in.
It does function in the main window. You can left-click articulations to activate them for auditioning purposes. You can right-click articulations to insert them at the edit cursor position in the arrange view, or targeting selected notes in the inline MIDI editor, or if the MIDI editor is docked to the main window, it applies there.

It also applies to floating/undocked MIDI editors too, but unfortunately REAPER doesn't let you dock ReaScripts to anything other than the main window, so the only options there are to either undock it or avoid maximizing the MIDI Editor window so Reaticulate can be accessed from the main window.

I myself have a key that toggles the MIDI editor between docked and undocked, and when it's undocked I size it so that it allows Reaticulate to show through the underlying main window, so that I can access it from the floating MIDI editor. Of course when the editor is docked then it's all part of the same window.

Example screenshot.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:12 AM   #2342
Kitarraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
Yes, pass through is the way. First, if you haven't already done so, add a shortcut in the main window for Reaticulate_Main. Then edit the shortcuts for the "Pass through key to main window" action in the MIDI Editor and add the shortcut you chose for the main window to this action.

Then the same key can be used to open Reaticulate in both the MIDI editor and the main window.
Since when is this a thing? I'm not complaining because I'm happy with how I've laid my setup, but it's the first time I hear about pass through
Old 03-09-2024, 04:17 AM   #2343
Kitarraman

Quote:
Since we use Reaticulate in the MIDI editor, we should be able to open it, there.

Thoughts?
It's not that big of a deal.
Watching Tack's tutorials, I adopted his same configuration: MIDI Editor window Floating on top of the REAPER's arrange view/TCP View, leaving enough space to be able to control Reaticulate (docked either on the left or right side)and click on the arm button.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:08 AM   #2344
K8ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post

Then the same key can be used to open Reaticulate in both the MIDI editor and the main window...

Thank you, Tack!
That's the thing I needed to know.

As Kitarraman said, "It's no big deal".
Reaper's got um-teen ways to enable whatever ya need, so thanks for the know-how.

I'd like to share my respect for your work, and offer my thankfulness for all that Reaticulate has cost you in time and energy.
Reaticulate is a fabulous piece of work and I hope that somewhere along the way, you're finding sufficient payoff/reward for all your time and efforts.
And I hope you still have time to make music!

Peace,
Keith

Last edited by K8ch; 03-09-2024 at 08:10 AM. Reason: mis-spell
K8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:12 AM   #2345
MarSch

Default articulation text in items not showing well

Hi Reaticulaters,
First of all: It is a great piece of Programm! It is very, very useable and i love the workflow.
Thanks for all your hard work, poeple!

Now i found some time, to show some strange behaviour using reaticulate.
It was for me in Reaper Version 6 and it is in 7 too.
I'm on Reaper 7.11 and newest Reaticulate now and Win11. I saw and remind it in 7.2 or so, but had no time to tell it on the forum.

The Programm works very well, in 6 and now 7.
If i choose an articulation , the name of it is showing correct in the Midi Editor. But in the Arrange Window it is not readable in the Items (no matter which Zoomsize).
It's no big deal because as i said, the programm works fine for me.

Just want to mention it. Maybe it is Reaticulate or could it some other issue?

Does anyone else got this "problem" ?

Have a nice Day
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: png arrange_u_midi.png (90.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:23 AM   #2346
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarSch View Post
If i choose an articulation , the name of it is showing correct in the Midi Editor. But in the Arrange Window it is not readable in the Items (no matter which Zoomsize).
In REAPER's Preferences, under Appearance | Peaks/Waveforms, ensure the following settings:
  • Display MIDI CC Lanes in arrange view: Multiple lanes when space permits (this is the default)
  • Display MIDI: Program names (checked)

IIRC by default will only show "PC" for program change events in the arrange view. For new installations of REAPER you'll need to set that.

HTH.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:02 AM   #2347
MarSch

Thanks Tak,
but both are on.

Martin
Old 03-18-2024, 08:10 AM   #2348
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarSch View Post
Thanks Tak, but both are on.
Sorry, I didn't look closely enough at your screenshot. I see the text there, it's just getting truncated.

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what to suggest. This part is all handled by REAPER natively, nothing to do with Reaticulate.

Are you using the default theme with the default theme settings (font sizes, etc.)? There could be an issue in the theme with respect to one of your customizations, perhaps?
Old 03-18-2024, 08:17 AM   #2349
MarSch

i use the reapertips theme, but tried different ones as well. None changes the look of the text.
Glad its not reaticulate thing.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:55 AM   #2350
MathieuC

Hello,

I'm using shift+i to show the instrument on the track I selected. This shortcut is related to the first FX slot and I use the "SWS/S&M: Toggle float FX 1 for selected tracks" option.
But, this option conflicts with reaticulate because when you insert a reaticulate instance on a track it puts a jsfx plugin on the track's first slot.
So, I saw into this thread that this problem also annoyed other users and would like to share a quick and dirt hack it should fix this problem for the wokflow mentioned previously.

You can use this function into a script if you which :
Code:
function Main()
    track = reaper.GetSelectedTrack( 0, 0)
    _, fx_name = reaper.TrackFX_GetFXName( track, 0 )
    if fx_name == "JS: Reaticulate" then
        reaper.Main_OnCommand(  reaper.NamedCommandLookup('_S&M_TOGLFLOATFX2'), 0)--SWS/S&M: Toggle float FX 2 for selected tracks
    else
        reaper.Main_OnCommand(  reaper.NamedCommandLookup('_S&M_TOGLFLOATFX1'), 0) --SWS/S&M: Toggle float FX 1 for selected tracks
    end
end
Or you can use my reapack repos, install the script (called "Reaticulate - create a filter to prevent reaticulate shows up when using toggle instrument on/off"), and assign a shortcut to it (shift+i in my case).

Not ideal but it should work
Old 03-18-2024, 10:02 AM   #2351
Kitarraman

On my system, it behaves as expected.
Something with your configuration has probably changed the MIDI CC display on the TCP?
I couldn't attach the LICECap File on the forum: https://ln5.sync.com/dl/f1ee0f6e0/me...wgtrj-rv8jeiwg
Old 03-19-2024, 10:08 AM   #2352
MarSch

@MathieuC , @kitarraman , @tack

Thx you guys.
After a test with a fresh Reaper 7.11, i found out it must be a 4K Display Problem i have.
If i play a bit with the Display Resolution of my TV (used only as PC Monitor) i found some where i can see the text full in the item. But then i can hardly see the articulation text or evrything else in Reaper.
Now i play a bit with the Display Resolution and the "scale UI Elements..." in the advanced Ui/System Settings. May i find some working for me.

Again, thank you.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:55 AM   #2353
lokotus

Does anybody know if one can successfully convert Cubase expression maps to reaticulate banks? Thanks…
lokotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:35 AM   #2354
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokotus View Post
Does anybody know if one can successfully convert Cubase expression maps to reaticulate banks? Thanks…
try this
Old 03-26-2024, 05:42 PM   #2355
lokotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post
Great, thanks a lot !!
lokotus is offline   Reply With Quote