Old 03-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
Hellacoil
Human being with feelings

Default VSTi AND VST3 FREEZES WITH 6.25

My virtually flawless Reaper has been an absolute monster, and virtually trouble free. As of the recent update 6.25, I've had three freezes. Literally locked up my tower. I'm hoping Reaper will make a repair to whatever has caused this.
Hellacoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
daniellumertz

Can you share more info about what happen? Any plugins/scripts running at the same time? What was REAPER doing at the time of the crash?

So the devs can help you, without much info there is not much to do...
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:22 PM   #3
Hellacoil

I was using Philharmonik VST3i, attempted to load an instrument, the instrument loaded, and the program froze my entire system.

This has happened with Surge Synth, and Archetype Abasi. The exact same thing each time.

I do not run "scripts" as far as I know. Not even certain what a "script" is. I imagine it's something I have to type to tell the program to do something. Not sure.
Hellacoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
JacqueH

Default Miroslav Philharmonik Crashes Reaper

I'm having a similar problem.
When using Miroslav Philharmonik 2, either VSTi or AUi, if I open the FX window and then click on the 'settings' icon (represented by a 'gear' in the upper right), Reaper quits instantly. When I open Philharmonik as a standalone app, I can open the settings no problem.
Mac OS X Sierra 10.12
Reaper 6.27 (the problem was also happening on 6.24)
Miroslav Philharmonik 2 v. 2.0.5

Note: I can open the settings on Sample Tank 3—which I assume uses code related to M.P.—with no problem.

Possibly related, possibly red herrings: 1) I first noticed this issue after trying to relocate the sample library for IK to an external drive. But TBH I am not sure I ever tried to click the settings button in MP before this. 2) the instant crash problem happens even after returning to using the IK library on the internal drive. (Which suggests that the move to the external drive is not the cause of the crashing problem.)

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

Jacque
JacqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
mhuss

FWIW, I just tried this (v6.27 on Win 10) with Philharmonik "1" VSTi (no settings menu, but tried changing the effects) and got a lockup as well on the first try. Empty project, the VSTi was the only plug loaded.

Killing the 32-bit subsystem with task manager didn't help.
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
JacqueH

Default What are We Learning?

Does this sound like we are onto something? Three users on different systems/variants (Mac/Win, Philharmonik 1/2, Reaper 6.24/6.25/6.27); very similar problems.

Two questions in my mind:
1) is the problem Reaper or IK/Philharmonic?
2) In either case, who do we tell (i.e.: is this forum monitored by Reaper developers or do we need to submit a report somewhere)?

Thanks
JacqueH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #7
daverich

Just dont use IK instruments as VST3 - they're buggy as hell.

You'll have better, (but still not a perfect so keep saving regularly) experience using plain VST2.
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:14 AM   #8
flamingsunrisemusic

Default IK PHILHARMONIK 2 Bugginess

For what it's worth, with regard to IK Philharmonik 2, I have had various ongoing problems including outright freezes, crashes, and 'Failed to load instrument' errors. This miscellany of frustrations has occurred on both my 2012 MBP running both Logic 9 and Reaper, and on my brand new whizz bang PC running the latest Reaper on Windows 10 Pro... I have previously had some alleviation of these problems on the MBP by rolling back to a very early version of Philharmonik 2, however it would then not load the legacy instruments... IK support was less than useless and I have put them on my list of developers from whom I will no longer purchase.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:11 AM   #9
JacqueH

Thank you @daverich and @flamingsunrisemusic, I think I'll continue using the IK products as AUi (not sure if I have VST2 versions?? I will inform myself about the numbering scheme of VST–VST2–VST3) and as you suggest, save often :-)

I'm guessing others have already reached out to IK, but perhaps I will again. I am a paying customer after all!

I don't use the other plug-ins that @Hellacoil (OP) mentioned, but perhaps the advice given applies to their case as well?

Again thanks for the collegial input, it's helpful to get a broader understanding of the situation.

Jacque
Old 04-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
JacqueH

Default Philharmonik New Version

I just learned that there is a version (2.0.6) of Philharmonik released 27 January 2020 which "Fixed a crash when accessing settings while in DAW" —exactly my problem. I had been using version 2.0.5. Who knows why IK didn't let me know about the new version ... or maybe the announcement was buried in a sales-y looking email and I ignored it ...

Anyway, my initial test is good, I can access the settings from within Reaper. So: not a Reaper problem.

Jacque