Old 03-07-2021, 06:02 AM   #1
georgemickel
Human being with feelings

Default Are any of you on fb Reaper DAW Users?

I recently joined the fb Reaper DAW Users group and I have to say it's a good resource, post a question, upload a screenshot and someone will chime in.

Just my 2¢
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:12 AM   #2
Cosmic

Is that not what happens here?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Is that not what happens here?
Yes, but because I travel and don't always have an opportunity to visit the forum it's easy to post a iPad screenshot without resizing the image and reading what others are asking. I'm not coming from a negative place, just thought I'd ask here.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
akademie

^^^^^ Absolutely NOT my experience for over 14 year here.

And keep in mind (I mean all of us, generally), that one so called "correct" response may happen to be in fact incorrect. Maybe few more posts here (as you mention) make original question more clear to understand (it's very often, that initial question or problem is not expressed in right way or words).

I don't want to put any negatives on FB even I do not use it (as my statement), but would like to soften any negatives on this forum (or any other in means of forum type platform).

EDIT: Moreover, forum (and this one explicitly) is great "knowledge base" as it continually builds up and is not one-to-one and/or immediate only communication that last for the moment of asking and answering.
Many if not almost all problems and questions of newbies and also more experienced users are repeating over and over again, so they can be easily (well sometimes not so easily, ok) searched for and found in the "memory" of this forum, which is absoultely great.

Last edited by akademie; 03-07-2021 at 07:06 AM.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #5
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemickel View Post
Yes, but because I travel and don't always have an opportunity to visit the forum it's easy to post a iPad screenshot without resizing the image and reading what others are asking. I'm not coming from a negative place, just thought I'd ask here.
BTW, georgemickel, how is it that it is not possible to visit/read this forum on iPad?
Then it would be bad of course.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Liftin' View Post
That's cool. I edited my post, probably while you were typing yours, to make my opinion clearer. I don't even have a Facebook account any more. So, I'm no advocate for that place either.
Oh, fine, I also only wanted to shed a more light to see the "differences" in both platforms rather than a "competition", you know.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
vitalker

I don't like any external sites, just because there are a few people.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:22 AM   #8
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
BTW, georgemickel, how is it that it is not possible to visit/read this forum on iPad?
Then it would be bad of course.
I can read everything on the forum via iPad, to clarify my comment was describing that when I travel, I'm not in front of my studio computer and iPad screenshots go directly to fb with no resizing or effort.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:54 AM   #9
jean-yves

I have nothing against FB and social networks (to be honnest, I dislike very much these addictive, non-brainer things... but it takes all sorts to make a world).

But. I don't see any interest in dividing the Reaper community. It's better to concentrate all the information in one place. One thing I like very much it is that the forum is moderated by vigilant and benevolent people. And the devs have allways a look upon what is said in the hot places in the forum.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:15 AM   #10
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-yves View Post
But. I don't see any interest in dividing the Reaper community. It's better to concentrate all the information in one place. One thing I like very much it is that the forum is moderated by vigilant and benevolent people. And the devs have allways a look upon what is said in the hot places in the forum.
Can't say better!
Old 04-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #11
Dr Bob

Just to re-iterate ... the devs listen in here and will proffer advice and help if it's a rather obscure Reaper issue and if a bug will set about fixing it. No sure Justin et al lurk on FB or Twit.

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Just to re-iterate ... the devs listen in here and will proffer advice and help if it's a rather obscure Reaper issue and if a bug will set about fixing it. No sure Justin et al lurk on FB or Twit.

dB
Twitter yes.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
pipelineaudio
Mortal

The realtime nature and quick media sharing possible on those platforms has some advantages.

REAPER DAW Users on FB is still pretty good.

The REAPER Users Group on FB has descended into total nonsense dunning kruger religious preachers constantly derailing any technical thread with total garbage and personal insults

Right here is still the best place to me, but I wish it were that quick and easy to do screenshots and such on the phone as it is on fb
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #14
Dr Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Twitter yes.
Ah, OK. I'm not a Twit user either, so couldn't comment. Too old for that, but still remember when my email was Rob@York ... and my login name was "1035,10074" - octal!

dB
Old 04-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #15
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
The realtime nature and quick media sharing possible on those platforms has some advantages.

The REAPER Users Group on FB has descended into total nonsense dunning kruger religious preachers constantly derailing any technical thread with total garbage and personal insults

Right here is still the best place to me, but I wish it were that quick and easy to do screenshots and such on the phone as it is on fb
I agree, right here is the best way to communicate. I just thought a screenshot was the most difficult thing from my iPad but a friend of mine here pointed me in the correct direction.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
vanceen

I joined the group and I've looked at it a time or two. It seemed like most of the questions and discussions were extremely basic.

Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
georgemickel

I've never used Twitter..although I have an account, probably 10 years ago. It's hard enough to keep up with family group texts.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #18
Dr Bob

The good thing about this forum is that the "hard" questions do get answered. Even here many are basic things, and could easily answered by the RTFM route.

However, the maxim "There's no such thing as a difficult question. Only one you don't know the answer to" is pertinent here. Hence the seemingly "easy or basic" questions at times.

I have seen some extremely complex routing questions answered. Many useful tips on track organisation and VST use.

I guess it goes, "Ask, and you will be answered!" holds.

dB
Old 04-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #19
Malfunction

Quote:

FB is just a mindless scrolling wastescape polluted with ads and provocative news sites. You are spot on about dunning kruger. It was so terrifying that I left FB,and now I seek refuge in the cockos forum ,that gives some nostalgia and resembles of the 90s internet.
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:16 AM   #20
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
FB is just a mindless scrolling wastescape polluted with ads and provocative news sites. You are spot on about dunning kruger. It was so terrifying that I left FB,and now I seek refuge in the cockos forum ,that gives some nostalgia and resembles of the 90s internet.

You are right, one of the characteristics of the 90s internet was the total lack of usability and thoughtful human-computer interaction patterns.

Yes, fb is a wastescape, BUT! a wastescape that's at least responsive and adapts to various devices. This forum is anti-mobile and its a pain to read or find some useful info when not using a big computer screen. And even with that, i had to use css injection to make the damn font bigger. Its a disgrace, really, and an insult to people's time and health.

Ofc people will use facebook, and do so more and more each day. And its not good, because its not google indexed and others won't find any answers. But new generations don't give a damn about some old a** purists who like to smell their own farts and get drunk on their own importance and so-called spartanism. They don't have time for that, they learn faster, want to do things faster, and don't want to waste their time for nobody.

Sorry if i bruised some egos with my french but deep down inside you know im right.

My 2c.

Last edited by lerian; 04-18-2021 at 12:46 AM.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:25 AM   #21
jean-yves

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerian View Post
Ofc people will use facebook, and do so more and more each day. And its not good, because its not google indexed and others won't find any answers. But new generations don't give a damn about some old a** purists who like to smell their own farts and get drunk on their own importance and so-called spartanism. They don't have time for that, they learn faster, want to do things faster, and don't want to waste their time for nobody.
You are not the only one thinking that the Reaper forum should evolve to be more mobile phone user friendly.

Is it a reason to be rude ?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:50 AM   #22
Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
FB is just a mindless scrolling wastescape polluted with ads and provocative news sites.
That's only true if you have shitty friends and join terrible groups. If you friend the right people and join nice groups, you get a nice Facebook feed. What you see is more a reflection of you than Facebook.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:28 AM   #23
Malfunction

Quote:
You are not the only one thinking that the Reaper forum should evolve to be more mobile phone user friendly.

Whats his facebook name? haha
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:37 AM   #24
lerian

Quote:

No, absolutely no reason. Im sorry for the strong language, isn't anybody's fault of me having a bad sleep and a rough morning.

You are right, i take a bow showing my respects to everyone who makes this place what it is. Yes, it can be better, and i guess it will at some point.

Peace.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:45 AM   #25
lerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
That's only true if you have shitty friends and join terrible groups. If you friend the right people and join nice groups, you get a nice Facebook feed. What you see is more a reflection of you than Facebook.
Theoretically true, but on the ground not really. Facebook feed is heavily influenced by what your friends activity is, and we not always have the same interests as our friends and family.

Even if i like and comment only on things that interests me, facebook still pushes various things my friends like or even facebook thinks i should see. I tried to do that, with showing nothing from specific friends and pages but its still spammy and still not showing me the things that really interests me. I see posts 3 days or a week old from friends that i like and comment on.

Its a weird animal this facebook, you never know what you actually are a subject of. Experiments on people's emotions. They done that. Putting people in depression? Done that too. Testing various stimuli? Check. Getting UK out of the EU? Done. So what is facebook? Nobody knows for sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...periment-users

Last edited by lerian; 04-18-2021 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #26
Held

I guess you missed the part where I said the quality of your feed depends on the quality of your friends (and family if you add them).

Yes, the positive feedback loop is dangerous if you don't to anything to counteract it, but it doesn't take much effort remove and block content/friends that will pull you in a bad direction.

One toxic friend can ruin the whole experience if you don't remove them (pretty much like in real life).
Old 04-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #27
lerian

Quote:
I guess you missed the part where I said the quality of your feed depends on the quality of your friends (and family if you add them).

Yes, the positive feedback loop is dangerous if you don't to anything to counteract it, but it doesn't take much effort remove and block content/friends that will pull you in a bad direction.

One toxic friend can ruin the whole experience if you don't remove them (pretty much like in real life).
Its not about toxic friends, or about their quality in general outside fb, its about their interests - memes, various jokes, politics, and so on. And as much as i try to keep my feed clean of those (like unfollowing certain people), and focus on my interests, fb still pushes some content im not interested in. So my point is - its not that easy to control what you see in there, even if you only like or comment only on certain topics. But maybe im just picky.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #28
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerian View Post
Its a weird animal this facebook, you never know what you actually are a subject of. Experiments on people's emotions. They done that. Putting people in depression? Done that too. Testing various stimuli? Check. Getting UK out of the EU? Done. So what is facebook? Nobody knows for sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...periment-users
Unfortunately, unfortunately, it's not just that.

Facebook collects so much data about each individual that after a
short time they know pretty much everything about their users:
economic status, income, family status, hobbies and preferences,
and of course the entire psyche.

Because the Facebook scripts are available on almost every
website and are also tracking them there, they really know
"everything". So the real name, the bank accounts, etc.
Facebook says they need this data so that they can deliver more
targeted advertising.

But one must also know that such detailed individual data is a
tremendous power. The data is valuable to banks that provide loans.
Banks tend to ask Facebook. But employers who want to hire a new
applicant would also be very interested in the data. Business
partners, competitors in business - such data would give all of them
great power. It was not for nothing that Nancy Pelosie suggested
breaking up Facebook and Google into tiny units.

So: if you take yourself seriously - and want to remain an
independent person with integrity, you should leave your hands on
Facebook (and Google).

Old 04-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #29
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:

Almost all of the toxicity in my FB comes from the REAPER Users Group on facebook at this point.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #30
Held

Quote:
Almost all of the toxicity in my FB comes from the REAPER Users Group on facebook at this point.
Try the 'REAPER Blog Community'. They seem quite nice.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #31
peter5992

Quote:
I just learned the coolest thing ever ... the wiring view in regions, in that very FB group.

Just goes to show that like everything in life FB has its pros and cons.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #32
hardplay

Posts get lost after a day, you have to keep scrolling like mad . Forums are more relaxed and easier to consult.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #33
georgemickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardplay View Post
Posts get lost after a day, you have to keep scrolling like mad . Forums are more relaxed and easier to consult.
I use the notifications option to find my posts on fb..I've been a "in one ear and out the other" if a person who willing to find positive vibes wherever I go, to help others it's not all about the perfect interwebafication app or site, I dig interaction.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #34
Philbo King

It has a huge noise-to-signal ratio...
Full of hasty bad advice
(like "I have a midi controller problem". "Ok, first install new sound card drivers and change the sample rate for your audio interface")
But it's fast.

I'm kinda leaving it for a while after somebody asked for EQ advice and couldn't tell me if it was a plugin or hardware EQ. I asked if the EQ was in a box full of electronics with knobs and sliders that you plug into the wall and he got butthurt about it... Time for me to have a month or two off, I think.

Last edited by Philbo King; 04-20-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote