Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Default introducing AVConvert - free context-menu video and audio conversion/extraction

After a fruitless quest for the most convenient, fastest, most unintrusive and zero-config FREE video and audio conversion/extraction tool on the planet (for Windows) I decided to dive into it and make it myself

So here it is: SonicAxiom's AVConvert.

With it "installed" (= extract folder in provided zip file to something like "C:\Program Files\AVConvert" and then simply double-click the provided "register_AVConvert.bat" file), opening the context menu of an mkv video file and a wav file will look like this (older LiceCap, latest version is more organized and has a lot more options):

AVConvert is actually a bunch of simple DOS batch files that will be triggered from the context menu and which make use of ffmpeg.

After having it ready for operation, you can (among other features) ...
  • (batch-)convert one or thousands of wav files to mp3, opus, m4a, flac, wv, AC3, tta, aiff, CCITT a-law or CCITT mu-law with one click. Conversion retains metadata and multichannels!
  • convert virtually any other audio format to wav with one click.
  • losslessly (batch-)extract the original audio from video files with a single click without re-compression (extracts aac, opus, AC3, mp2, mp3, wav)!
  • convert stereo wav files to mono and vice-versa.
  • convert LR (left/right) stereo wav files to MS (mid-side) stereo files and vice-versa.
  • extract only left or right audio channel from aac, m4a, mp3 and wav files.
  • convert the audio of video files to wav.
  • convert 2 or 3 stereo streams inside mkv video files into a single 4- or 6-channel wave file (useful when working with multi-channel audio in mkv video files like those created with OBS).
  • split 4-channel wave files into 2 stereo wave files.
  • split 6-channel wave files into 3 stereo wave files.
  • (batch-)convert one or multiple video files to MKV 720p, 1080p, 2k or 4k while optionally converting the original audio to AAC. Conversion can also retain all original audio streams!
  • convert MKV, MOV and MP4 video files to MOV ProRes Proxy, LT, SQ, or HQ. The source video's audio will be converted to WAV.
  • convert/resize MKV, MOV or MP4 files to 4k, 2k, 1080p or 720p while simultaneously overlaying a permanent PNG logo/watermark or a temporary text insert or both at the same time.
  • losslessly concatenate multiple video files of the same media file type (and with exactly the same media file properties!).
  • losslessly crop top/bottom of video footage to give it a wide-screen look.
  • losslessly cut/split/trim video footage.
  • losslessly transcode MOV and MP4 to MKV.
  • losslessly speed-up/slow down video footage.
  • reverse video footage (output video plays backwards).
  • create screen recording videos.
  • losslessly transcode AAC to M4A and vice versa.
  • (batch-)sample-rate-convert wav/flac 44.1k to 48k and vice-versa with one click.
  • (batch-)change bit depth of wav from 16 to 24 bit and vice-versa with one click.
  • losslessly mux (re-combine) separate video and audio files into one video file (like separate video and audio downloaded from Youtube) while either adding an audio stream to existing audio or replacing existing audio with new audio.
  • create true-stereo impulse response files from regular stereo impulse files (for convolution reverb plugins).
  • create a video from a single JPG image incl. background music with a single click (optionally also incl. a smooth zooming effect, a title insert, a logo and a sub-title).
  • create a slide-show video from all currently selected JPG images in a folder (incl. smooth transitions between images) with one click.
  • resize and simultaneously watermark all currently selected JPG file with one click.
  • convert portrait-orientation images or (smart phone) videos to 16:9 videos incl. the blurred copied background to get rid of the black bars with one click.
  • convert animated GIFs into MKV video files
  • extract animated GIFs from user-definable section of MKV video

Example 1:
Client calls and wants all 1.200 neatly edited 24 bit 44.1k speech wav files in 48k 16 bit M4A? Select all wav's in your master files folder, right-click one of them, select SRC to 48k, wait a few seconds, select all processed files, right-click again, select "convert to 16 bit", watch the conversion finish, then, finally, select all 16 bit files and choose "convert to M4A" - et voilà! It all happens blazingly fast!

Example 2:
Quickly need light-weight versions of the 10 huge 4k video files that you just copied from the camera's card to your HDD/SSD? Select all files, right-click and choose "AVConvert - convert video ...". Video resizing process can include conversion of the audio and the insertion of overlay images in one go if desired.

I'd like to emphasize once more that unlike most video editing programs, a lot of AVConvert's video editing options are completely lossless since relevant source file data is simply copied to the target file! Think about it: Whether you wanna apply significant changes in your conventional video editing program or only wanna make a tiny change, as a result, the entire output video has to be rendered each time anew taking a considerable amount of time. Not so with AVConvert. It can crop (widen), trim/cut, concatenate and mux video material without the need to re-render the material! The speed of performing lossless video options in AVConvert is only limited by the read/write speed of your hard drive! Using an SSD drive will increase video creation speed by magnitudes! For instance, concatenating 2 hours worth of 4k video clips takes less than one minute to complete with no quality loss whatsoever! If you do it again just because you might prefer the video clips in a different order, creating the new video will take another minute.

The tool can be completely removed from your machine by running the provided unregistering batch file. You may then delete the entire AVConvert folder. No traces are left behind! Please read through the provided help file for further details on its functionality and on how to register and unregister it!

You can download AVConvert from my web site: https://www.audioworld.de/AudioWorld%20AVConvert_e.php

The zip file includes English and German install/removal *.reg files as well as English and German help files. The context menu entries reflect the installed language. Make sure to read the help file for further information (install, uninstall, tips, etc.)!

I'm providing this utility free of charge! If you find it useful, please consider donating an amount of your choice by clicking the PayPal button on the AVConvert web page.

Transaction page ID will read: YQRRP2HQ5CQN2
Payment reference is: AW VST plugin.

Any amount is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

See it in action (keep in mind that AVConvert has evolved massively since those videos have been uploaded). Here's the quick start video:

Detailed video:

recent options explained:

HAPPY CONVERTING!

PS: I'm aware of the fact that adding things to the Windows registry is not ideal. My dream would be to get the functionality of AVConvert without adding sections to the registry. However, adding context-menu entries requires adding the corresponding commands to the registry. There's no way around this (I know of). So I went that way.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 06-19-2023 at 11:22 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
SonicAxiom

Just finished creating a web page for AVConvert.

Links updated in first post.

Thanks for your attention!

Old 09-15-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
ivansc

VERY handy! I will be trying it out asap
Thanks!
Old 09-15-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
nofish

Hi, thanks for this.
One thought: How about putting the added context menu entries in a submenu (as seen for 7-Zip in your pic) instead of top level?
Sure, would be a little less fast to access but imo a little less clutterly which I'd personally prefer (matter of taste though of course).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hi, thanks for this.
One thought: How about putting the added context menu entries in a submenu (as seen for 7-Zip in your pic) instead of top level?
Sure, would be a little less fast to access but imo a little less clutterly which I'd personally prefer (matter of taste though of course).
This actually was my first thought also, LOL!

I initially tried to do this but it turned out that Windows only supports 8 sub-menu items at max. so I decided to have everything on the top level for now. I'm still keeping an eye on this idea, though. Top level means one click less to trigger, though, and this is a advantage for someone as lazy as me

Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
michaeltonight

Whoa! Amazing! Thank you!

The only downside is that this rewards my procrastination of a bunch of batch-converting that I've been putting off, that will now be quite easy
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltonight View Post
Whoa! Amazing! Thank you!

The only downside is that this rewards my procrastination of a bunch of batch-converting that I've been putting off, that will now be quite easy
So this seems to rather be an upside then, ...

I'm no coder at all and I have to admit that wrapping my head around finding the appropriate DOS commands and combining them with the appropriate registry commands has cost me a few weeks testing time - hours of trial and error! I'm having the time - thanks to COVID-induced studio-closure since february ...

Old 09-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
SonicAxiom

... just added German context menu entries (when choosing to install AVConvert via the German *.reg file).

Also added German help file.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
michaeltonight

Downloaded, donated , and tried it out! Fantastic! Thank you so much for this!

"I'm no coder" - you are too modest.
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltonight View Post
Downloaded, donated , and tried it out! Fantastic! Thank you so much for this!

"I'm no coder" - you are too modest.
Thank you so much, Michael! I'm happy to hear that you find it useful (I fully undestand why, though ).

It's true, I'm no coder! That's why I mentioned my surprise as to why no REAL coder has ever come up with this.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
SonicAxiom

update 2020-09-20:
  • fixed wrong context menu entry label in German version when wrapping AAC file into M4A container
  • added PCM wav extraction entry for mp4 video file context menu

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 04-23-2021 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #12
SonicAxiom

update 2020-09-22:
  • now providing a 32-bit version of AVConvert for 32 bit Windows systems (download "AVConvert 32 bit.zip" on the download page)
  • added ability to preserve all audio streams present in the source video file when resizing the video

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 09-25-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #13
SonicAxiom

update 2020-09-25:
  • added ability to losslessly extract second audio stream (MP3, M4A, WAV, OGG or OPUS) from mp4 and mkv video files

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 09-25-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
VERY handy! I will be trying it out asap
Thanks!
any feedback would be much apprechiated, ivan!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #15
akademie

Wishing for "portable version" (no traces in system folders and/or registry).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #16
SonicAxiom

context menu entries have to be added to the registry or else, no entry is shown. Alas, there's no way around this. Apart from that, everything remains inside the AVConvert folder. System folder isn't used.

I chose to make the "C:\AVConvert" path mandatory because this folder is the most likely to work on any computer around the world, regardless the user's OS's language. "C:\Programme" in Germany is "C:\Program files" in english and probably something completely different again on computers in other countries.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 09-25-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
SonicAxiom

update 2020-09-27:
  • added option to merge-convert 2 stereo audio streams of a video file (mkv and mp4) into a single 4-channel wav file.

This can be useful if you recorded a screenvideo containing two separate stereo audio streams and wanna further process those as one multichannel file.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #18
SonicAxiom

update 2020-10-06:
  • metadata is now retained during format conversions wherever possible.
  • added conversion to/from AIFF for WAV, WV and FLAC incl. bit depth conversion.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #19
SonicAxiom

major update 2020-10-15:
  • AVConvert's options are now organized in several cascaded sub-menu categories

Please refer to the provided help file in case you wanna update an older version of AVConvert.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
serr

So this is a GUI for ffmpeg? Or do you have additional functionality beyond ffmpeg's feature set?

I'm an OSX user and I already have ffmpeg.
I've got an issue I can't figure out with ffmpeg adding a 5.1 LPCM track to an mkv av file. Keeps identifying as "6 channel" instead of "5.1 surround" as soon as it hits a mkv file with video included. (It works properly for audio only mkv files though!) And this can mess with any media player that doesn't just default to playing 6 channel as standard 5.1. Or maybe it's just VLC player that defaults to rerouting the audio channels to SMPTE surround format when it sees "6 channel" instead of "5.1 surround"? (VLC Player reroutes the L R C Lfe Ls Rs channels to L R Ls Rs C Lfe when it sees the "6 channel" ID. It only leaves them alone with the "5.1 surround" ID.)

Encoding to flac or alac works. But that becomes Mac only, computer media player only. Using this old shared app called tsMuxer lets me make a bluray image which I can convert to mkv with MakeMKV if I want and the LPCM 5.1 audio stays identifying as "5.1 surround" and thus doesn't trip up VLC player.

I also tried mkvToolNix. Same exact issue!

What's the heck?

So loaded question of the day: Got a solution here
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #21
SonicAxiom

I'm afraid I can't help you with any Mac-related issues, I'm on Win7 and know nothing about Mac.

AVConvert has no GUI. It simply uses the latest ffmpeg "static" release and feeds it with predefined conversion commands lines when you click the resp. menu entry.

With regard to surround formats: You may have to use a specific mapping command to tell ffmpeg that it's dealing with surround and not just 6 simple audio channels. Maybe having a look at ffmpeg's "mapping" command documentation can give you the needed info.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I'm afraid I can't help you with any Mac-related issues, I'm on Win7 and know nothing about Mac.

AVConvert has no GUI. It simply uses the latest ffmpeg "static" release and feeds it with predefined conversion commands lines when you click the resp. menu entry.

With regard to surround formats: You may have to use a specific mapping command to tell ffmpeg that it's dealing with surround and not just 6 simple audio channels. Maybe having a look at ffmpeg's "mapping" command documentation can give you the needed info.

I believe I've been through every permutation possible with ffmpeg of rewriting that ID before the mux. Again, works exactly as expected with audio only mkv files. As soon as you mux the audio file into a mkv along with video, that ID gets switched to "6 channel".

I honestly think this is, first a bug in VLC player. Or... maybe someone wants to see the channels swapped to the SMPTE format with the "6 channel" ID? That's fair enough I suppose (weather or not correct). Every other media player defaults to the channel order actually printed to the file. Like a sane person would expect! Even the GUI disaster that is Kodi Media Center.

If this could be a Mac only bug in the Mac version of ffmpeg? Doesn't really seem reasonable. I don't have a Linux install going yet and I'm not touching Windows. I thought I was aiming to clean up some of my process and get rid of this homemade shareware tsMuxer from 10 years ago. Apparently not!

There's some way to get that ID written in there. The old app and MakeMKV are doing it!

I'm absolutely asking a ringer here!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #23
studer58

At first glance this looks like a great one-click conversion problem solver for many of the transcoding tasks we typically are confronted with these days.

With regards to the bit depth conversions, say from 24 bit down to 16 bit, does this process also involve dither being added, as this is usually necessary to reduce truncation artifacts, which can be most evident at the quiet end of the spectrum...reverb tails, for example, losing smoothness ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:42 AM   #24
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
At first glance this looks like a great one-click conversion problem solver for many of the transcoding tasks we typically are confronted with these days.

With regards to the bit depth conversions, say from 24 bit down to 16 bit, does this process also involve dither being added, as this is usually necessary to reduce truncation artifacts, which can be most evident at the quiet end of the spectrum...reverb tails, for example, losing smoothness ?
Thanks!
By default, ffmpeg doesn't apply dither. However, you can easily add something like "-dither_method modified_e_weighted" (have a look at ffmpeg's dither command documentation) to the corresponding batch files to make it apply your preferred dither.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #25
fakemaxwell

Digging this, very handy. Is there a way to add user options to the context? For example, 99% of what I need converted is video files of all sorts to ProRes.

I'm assuming this isn't super typical so it would be great if there's a way to write in my own ffmpeg parameters into a template that would insert it into the context menu like everything else.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #26
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
Digging this, very handy. Is there a way to add user options to the context? For example, 99% of what I need converted is video files of all sorts to ProRes.

I'm assuming this isn't super typical so it would be great if there's a way to write in my own ffmpeg parameters into a template that would insert it into the context menu like everything else.
Glad you like it

If you can tell me what exact target format and parameters you need I can try to add your desired conversion feature. If you know how to create the appropriate batch and reg files you can add any functionality ffmpeg offers yourself but it may be easier to let me do it.

AVConvert offers no GUI to let the user tweak parameters. This is in fact the whole idea behind AVConvert: Letting the user choose his conversion or extraction option without messing with parameters and a GUI. If you only wanna tweak certain parameters of existing options, just open the corresponding batch file in a plain text editor and mess with the parameters. They are fairly self-explanatory. Adding entirely new conversion options is more complicated as it requires not only new batch files with the appropriate commands but also the corresponding reg files for adding/removing the context menu options. It's absolutely no rocket science but if you are not familiar with this matter it's quite annoying stuff and messing with the Windows registry can result in serious system malfunction.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #27
fakemaxwell

Ah cool, here's the parameters:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v prores -profile:v 1 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -c:a pcm_s16le output.mov
This is for ProRes LT + 16bit PCM audio, which I've had the best experience in using video in Reaper. If you're up for it the rest of the ProRes family is pretty common for use in video circles, be it for proxies or final products. Being able to do this through context menus would be dope, much faster than having to type everything in every time.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #28
SonicAxiom

Should be doable. Could you please provide a small video sample with your common source video parameters via a direct download link for me to test? 20 sec. should be enough. You can PM me if you prefer.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #29
SonicAxiom

update 2020-10-26:
  • added options for MKV, MOV and MP4 video files to convert those to MOV ProRes Proxy, LT, SQ or HQ. The source video's audio will be converted to WAV.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 AM   #30
siniarch

Quote:
update 2020-10-26:
  • added options for MKV, MOV and MP4 video files to convert those to MOV ProRes Proxy, LT, SQ or HQ. The source video's audio will be converted to WAV.

This looks terrific. I don't necessarily need it at the moment, but will be bookmarking it for when I do.
Thank you much.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #31
EpicSounds

I've been using this for a couple weeks and its saving a lot of clicks.
Thank you very much

My source files are from OBS with my mic on stream 1 and other sounds on stream 2.

Couple questions

1 - is there a file we can edit to reduce the number of options in the list?

2 - mono wav conversion?

I'm working on a roundup of video related things by the reaper community and this will be on it for sure!
Old 11-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #32
SonicAxiom

update 2020-11-11:
  • added option to convert stereo WAV to mono WAV

Old 11-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #33
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I've been using this for a couple weeks and its saving a lot of clicks.
Thank you very much

My source files are from OBS with my mic on stream 1 and other sounds on stream 2.

Couple questions

1 - is there a file we can edit to reduce the number of options in the list?

2 - mono wav conversion?

I'm working on a roundup of video related things by the reaper community and this will be on it for sure!
Thanks for your donation, Jon!

ad 1: yes, in principle, everything is editable and adjustable by editing either the batch files (allowing you to customize conversion/extraction parameters without the need to intermittently remove and re-add AVConvert) or by editing the add/remove reg files requiring to first remove AVConvert and then re-add it after the changes have been made to the reg files. Depending on the nature of the changes that are being made, both the add and the remove reg file have to be changed. While editing the batch files has very little potential to screw something up in your system, editing the reg files is a bit more dangerous. You should know well what you are doing! But it's not rocket science either.

Adding some sort of context menu customization to AVConvert will probably be impossible for me. I've been searching for more than a decade to find a decent context menu editor. There has been the great FastExplorer which sadly has been abandonned in the meantime. All other context menu editors I've tested are far too simple to provide the functionality required to give the user the possibility to customize AVConvert. It's surely not impossible but fairly complicated (as far as I can see). Probably too hard for a complete non-coder like me

ad 2: see my previous post

Thanks for considering mentioning AVConvert in your roundup!

Old 11-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #34
SonicAxiom

regarding the customization of AVConvert:

if someone wants to disable a particular AVConvert sub menu entry, here's how you do it. In this example, I'm removing the entry I just added today which converts stereo WAV files to mono. This is the section I added to the ADD reg file:

Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wav\Shell\1AVConvertConvA\Shell\15_WAV2MONO]
@=" WAV stereo to WAV mono"
"Icon"="C:\\AVConvert\\AVC_A.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wav\Shell\1AVConvertConvA\Shell\15_WAV2MONO\command]
@="C:\\AVConvert\\BATs\\WAV2MONO.bat \"%1\""
To remove only this particular stereo to mono conversion sub menu entry:
  • search for this sub menu entry in the ADD reg file
  • copy just the first line of the section which would be:
Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wav\Shell\1AVConvertConvA\Shell\15_WAV2MONO]
  • create a plain txt file with the content:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wav\Shell\1AVConvertConvA\Shell\15_WAV2MONO]
  • note the "negative" sign in front of the original command!
  • add an empty line after the removal command
  • save the txt file as something like "remove AVConvert WAV mono to stereo conversion.txt" and change the file's extension to "reg". Confirm.
  • double-click the reg file and only the entry defined behind the "negative" sign in your reg file will get removed.

To restore any entry that has been removed by custom REMOVE reg files simply double-click the original AVConvert ADD reg file and confirm.

I'm encouraging the regular user not to mess with this stuff!

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 11-22-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #35
rohi

SonicAxiom, thank you so much for your hard work-- this is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I seem to have an issue with VLC attempting to open after selecting an option from the context menu. Example: I'll go to extract the 2nd stream of audio, and a windows prompt comes up asking which program I'd like to use to open the file. VLC is the default, which obviously does nothing, however, if I select the FFMPEG executable, still nothing happens.

I've changed default apps associated with the file extension (.MP4), and still nothing. Any thoughts?

Thank you again for your work on this software, I can tell it'll be a huge help for me once I get it up and running correctly.

Edit: typos
rohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #36
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohi View Post
SonicAxiom, thank you so much for your hard work-- this is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I seem to have an issue with VLC attempting to open after selecting an option from the context menu. Example: I'll go to extract the 2nd stream of audio, and a windows prompt comes up asking which program I'd like to use to open the file. VLC is the default, which obviously does nothing, however, if I select the FFMPEG executable, still nothing happens.

I've changed default apps associated with the file extension (.MP4), and still nothing. Any thoughts?

Thank you again for your work on this software, I can tell it'll be a huge help for me once I get it up and running correctly.

Edit: typos
You are the first person to report such an issue to me, rohi. Frankly, I have no idea atm what could cause this behaviour. AVConvert should work regardless of "Open with" file associations. It only notices what file type you right-clicked on (mov, wav, mp3, etc.) and then shows that file type's AVConvert options as those vary from file type to file type. No idea yet why choosing an AVConvert option would trigger the "Open with" application to launch. What OS are you on? Does it work for other file types? I tried AVConvert on WinXP to Win10 and it just worked on every system. I will do some research on this. Do you have another Windows computer to test?

Old 11-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #37
rohi

Quote:
You are the first person to report such an issue to me, rohi. Frankly, I have no idea atm what could cause this behaviour. AVConvert should work regardless of "Open with" file associations. It only notices what file type you right-clicked on (mov, wav, mp3, etc.) and then shows that file type's AVConvert options as those vary from file type to file type. No idea yet why choosing an AVConvert option would trigger the "Open with" application to launch. What OS are you on? Does it work for other file types? I tried AVConvert on WinXP to Win10 and it just worked on every system. I will do some research on this. Do you have another Windows computer to test?

Thanks for getting back to me-- I have a spare system laying around and I'll try it again. Both are running Windows 10 LTSC 17763. I'll edit this post with my future findings.
rohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #38
SonicAxiom

update 2020-11-23:
  • removed left-over legacy context menu entry in AAC file context menu ("2AVConvertConv"). The correct entry for conversion to WAV has been moved into the conversion sub-menu.

This time, to properly update AVConvert:
  • replace your current "AVConvert - add cascaded context menu.reg" reg file with the one provided in the updated zip package (dated 2020-11-23 or later)
  • double-click the new "AVConvert - add cascaded context menu.reg" reg file and hit OK two times
  • the usual update procedure as described in the help file also works, of course

Für deutschsprachige Nutzer:

Um AVConvert dieses Mal korrekt upzudaten:
  • ersetze die gegenwärtige "AVConvert - kaskadiertes Kontextmenü hinzufügen.reg" reg-Datei mit derjenigen aus dem neuesten Zip-Paket (Version vom 23.11.2020 oder später)
  • doppelklicke die gerade ersetzte "AVConvert - kaskadiertes Kontextmenü hinzufügen.reg" reg-Datei und klicke anschließend zweimal OK
  • die sonst übliche Update-Prozedur - wie in der Hilfe-Datei beschrieben - funktioniert selbstverständlich auch

Old 11-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #39
daeavelwyn

Default Add extract stereo track from MKV (OBS friendly)

Hello SonicAxiom,

First of all, thanks for your huge work ! AVConvert is a must have tool !!

Second, I'm heavily using OBS to screencast I configured OBS in a way that I got :
Track 1/2 => audio from my Mic
Track 3/4 => ReaRoute (audio from Reaper)
Track 5/6 => Audio from desktop (generaly backing track from youtube)

So, I'd like to be able to extract those 3 stereo tracks from my MKV file (generated by OBS) and so I made some tweak to your work to acheive this. Here is the result :

1- I create a MKV2StereoTracks.bat :
Code:
"C:\AVConvert\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~1" -map 0:1 StereoTrack1.wav -map 0:3 StereoTrack2.wav -map 0:5 StereoTrack5.wav
exit
2- I manage registry inclusion tweaking "AVConvert - add cascaded context menu.reg" and adding at line 941:
Code:
;------------ MKV Extract stereo *.wav tracks -- OBS friendly

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mkv\Shell\2AVConvertExtrA\Shell\11_MKV2StereoTracks]
@=" Extract multiple tracks as stereo .wav"
"Icon"="C:\\AVConvert\\AVC_A.ico"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mkv\Shell\2AVConvertExtrA\Shell\11_MKV2StereoTracks\command]
@="C:\\AVConvert\\BATs\\MKV2StereoTracks.bat \"%V\""
It perfectly work and fit to my needs, I don't know if you could be interested to add my modifications to your code but I'd be glad you could find some interests in this.

Of course feel free to adapt this in a way you could find more elegant or smart.

Regards
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #40
SonicAxiom

update 2020-11-25:
  • show current AVConvert version when right-clicking a wave file and then clicking on "AVConvert version info"
  • added option to convert 3 stereo streams of mkv video files into a single 6-channel wave file (useful when working with multi-audio mkv video files like those created with OBS)
  • added option to split single 4-channel wave files into 2 stereo wave files
  • added option to split single 6-channel wave files into 3 stereo wave files