Human being with feelings

Default Metal Cover: Pharrell Williams - Happy

Hey guys hope you enjoy the cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tM4dl6veIw
SSteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
benf

Yeah ! Very cool cover. The only thing is your ping pong reverb is not in rythm.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
SSteward

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Yeah ! Very cool cover. The only thing is your ping pong reverb is not in rythm.
Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the feedback!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
DaveKeehl

Hi Shane These are my feedback notes:
  • The vocal performance could be much much better (sorry I don't want to sound mean)
  • The timing of the guitars is a bit off. In some sections you can hear it a lot and doesn't sound very professional
  • The ending was abrupt
  • Sometimes I had the impression that the guitars were slightly clipping
  • The mix in general was a bit all over the place. No clear separation between instruments. Drums are buried. The bass can't really be heard. The vocals don't cut and the guitars sound mushy.

The video was entertaining though!

If you want I can help you with the mix for free, unless you really want to do it yourself. I think I can help you from that point of view. If you're interested PM and we can discuss details

P.S. You might think "well you covers on youtube sound like balls" and I agree with you! but the last one was uploaded more than a year ago and I've improved a ton in the meantime.

Let me know you look like a cool dude to work with

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 06-13-2018 at 05:10 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
smueske

I thought it was fun, which I'm guessing is the whole point. Kind of a white suburban dad does rock thing, so it's already got the self-satire thing going for it. The video was fun, too. Would have never guessed it was Pharrell without knowing that on the way in. Best of luck to you.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
SSteward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
Hi Shane These are my feedback notes:
  • The vocal performance could be much much better (sorry I don't want to sound mean)
  • The timing of the guitars is a bit off. In some sections you can hear it a lot and doesn't sound very professional
  • The ending was abrupt
  • Sometimes I had the impression that the guitars were slightly clipping
  • The mix in general was a bit all over the place. No clear separation between instruments. Drums are buried. The bass can't really be heard. The vocals don't cut and the guitars sound mushy.

The video was entertaining though!

If you want I can help you with the mix for free, unless you really want to do it yourself. I think I can help you from that point of view. If you're interested PM and we can discuss details

P.S. You might think "well you covers on youtube sound like balls" and I agree with you! but the last one was uploaded more than a year ago and I've improved a ton in the meantime.

Let me know you look like a cool dude to work with
Thanks for the feedback(and no I did not taking anything you said as being mean). The bulk of my covers are done in a week, so record, mix etc. due to my own busy schedule and the reality of living in an apartment.

Guitar is my forte, while singing has been the one thing I keep trying to improve on(though again, I can only do so many takes in an apartment building before neighbors complain)

Thank you for the kind offer, and for your feedback as it was constructive and something I can look at on each upcoming cover.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
SSteward

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
I thought it was fun, which I'm guessing is the whole point. Kind of a white suburban dad does rock thing, so it's already got the self-satire thing going for it. The video was fun, too. Would have never guessed it was Pharrell without knowing that on the way in. Best of luck to you.
Haha this is the first time I have ever heard the suburban dad thing, but you nailed the satire element dead on.

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the feedback.