Old 02-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #1
RedStone
Human being with feelings

Default Akai MidiMix

I'm having a big headache trying to get all the buttons and faders mapped on my midimix.

Here's what I've got so far.

I was able to get the MidiMix going after hunting through forums. I finally figured out it is disabled by default and you have to enable it for input, output and control in preferences -> midi devices.

The you need to go into actions to start assigning faders (set volume actions). It got me to 8 faders and the master fader, so far so good.

BUT the "bank right" and "bank left" buttons on the Midimix don't do anything. What I am I missing? Is there some action I need to assign to be able to bank right 8 tracks? Knowing that nothing about the midimix is working OTB inside Reaper, I'm assuming I'll also have to manually assign new controller ID's depending on the bank I am using ... but I have no idea how to set this up.

Interestingly, if I set up "mackie universal" in the controller hardware section of preferences, certain faders and some buttons, and even the bank buttons sort of work - but it's all screwy and some buttons do weird things (mute button arms for recording, rec arm buttons selects another track ... super weird.).

For now my biggest question is how to get the "bank right" and "bank left" buttons working on the MidiMix.

Last edited by RedStone; 02-06-2022 at 05:29 PM.
RedStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:10 PM   #2
RedStone

I just discovered the web server that can be run from any phone or tablet or computer ... that's a neat feature! Not exactly feature rich and the pages need tweaking but very cool nonetheless
Old 02-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #3
goldenarpharazon

Default Akai MIDIMIX control surface

For banking try setting up and using this pre-written control surface https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172908
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:42 PM   #4
RedStone

Thank you! Bookmarked

I ended up getting it to sort of work, and decided to just map every fader and knob to a track volume slider. Then I assigned buttons to everything I hate searching menus for and used "last selected track" for things like mute, solo and fx bypass. I also found cool things like the web interface, and mapped buttons to let me scroll through tracks and nudge faders up and down, save, undo, normalize items etc etc.

So I got 32 channels mapped in the end (faders are mapped to buses, knobs mapped to most important pieces in between), and a little masking tape to label everything. As a singer-songwriter it works for me, but i would definitely need more functionality if I was pursuing mixing more a a side gig.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:13 AM   #5
softmartin

Default MIDIMAX range of the knobs

Hi,
using midimix with reaper : so far so good !
One question : one knob controls an fx where the possible value is from 0 to several thousand ms, but I only use 0 to 40 ms. is there a way to have the knob just control 0 to 40 ms ?
thks
Martin
softmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:08 AM   #6
airon

You might be able to do that with CSI, though I'd strongly advise you to check the other options such as ReaLearn and DrivenByMoss4Reaper.

The users of CSI, ReaLearn and DrivenByMoss4Reaper can probably answer that question rather quickly. I use CSI, but this is a problem I have not tried to solve, so I know too little to be helpful on this matter.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
softmartin

Thanks ! I am trying out the moss software, haven t got there yet, but hope to resolve the problem soon.
btw thanks for your latch preview video !
best
Martin
softmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:19 AM   #8
goldenarpharazon

Default Mapping knob to a modified range

Softmartin if you are using the Midimix control surface in https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=172908 then you can alter the script to map a particular knob's 0-127 range to a smaller OSC range than the normal real number 0-1 range eg. between 0 and 0.1

This should alter the range controlled in ms
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote