Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
vsgrt
Human being with feelings

Default Custom Action only works properly when TCP is selected

Hi.

I made a custom action that basically creates a new track, adds a VSTi to it (R5k) and adds MIDI quantization, input and overdub. It works perfectly when i press the hotkey after clicking the TCP, but if i click on the arranger before hitting the hotkey, it creates a track with all the correct options but without the Instrument itself.

I understand that the different highlight (TCP / Arranger) changes the context of the "add FX" function, since you can add FX to a media item or a track depending on the context. Is there a way however to force REAPER to highlight/activate the TCP-context before doing a custom action?
I tried the "Select track 01" at the start of my macro with no luck.

Since REAPER does not have any visual indicator of what part of the software is highlighted, this makes it hard to deal with.

Appreciate any feedback or workaround.

Thanks!
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:47 AM   #2
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
Hi.

I made a custom action that basically creates a new track, adds a VSTi to it (R5k) and adds MIDI quantization, input and overdub. It works perfectly when i press the hotkey after clicking the TCP, but if i click on the arranger before hitting the hotkey, it creates a track with all the correct options but without the Instrument itself.

I understand that the different highlight (TCP / Arranger) changes the context of the "add FX" function, since you can add FX to a media item or a track depending on the context. Is there a way however to force REAPER to highlight/activate the TCP-context before doing a custom action?

Since REAPER does not have any visual indicator of what part of the software is highlighted, this makes it hard to deal with.

Appreciate any feedback or workaround.

Thanks!

I literary was trying to create the same thread here....

My custom action also somehow dose not function properly unless I manually click on TCP somewhere before executing action.... I have no idea why... first I thought to blame SWS... but it was not their fault sincei I replaced all actions from SWS and it still was making wired stuff unless I clicked on TCP before applying action.

Justin could you please look into it.... I can provide my custom action list if needed...but the baseline of this issue TCP needs to be active before executing anything.

I clarified that... because I know that new dev versions are with some TCP changes...

Last edited by inarisound; 11-03-2018 at 02:14 AM.
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
Is there a way however to force REAPER to highlight/activate the TCP-context before doing a custom action?
You could follow with "Track: Set first selected track as last touched track" (ID 40914).

(Untested, just an idea. Sometimes it makes a difference in Reaper if something is 'selected' or 'last touched').
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
vsgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
You could follow with "Track: Set first selected track as last touched track" (ID 40914).
That didn't work unfortunately, but thanks for the suggestion!

I have mapped the Tab-key to "Go to next track (40285)", and if i click the arranger first, press tab to a new track, and try to add an FX nothing happens. I tried with "Xenakios/SWS: Select next tracks" as well but same issue.

So it seems that there is a difference when clicking the TCP with the mouse compared to just selecting a track via an action or hotkey. The new track is selected using the keyboard but only the mouse can give TCP focus. It seems more logical to me if the TCP is focused whenever "Insert new track" is called.

This issue also affects me a lot when i create or go to a new track (via hotkeys) and add an FX (via hotkeys) - sometimes i am adding an FX to tons of selected media items because the arranger is still in focus.

Last edited by vsgrt; 11-03-2018 at 04:09 AM. Reason: quote mistake
Old 11-03-2018, 04:43 AM   #5
FnA

You could try

SWS/BR: Focus tracks

Quote:
....Since REAPER does not have any visual indicator of what part of the software is highlighted, this makes it hard to deal with.

Appreciate any feedback...
I would like to see something for this too...
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 AM   #6
GeckoLikesMartini

Hi

I have the same problem with selected track/s or go to previous/next track via OSC. You have to click the track in reaper with the mouse to make following functions (insert fx etc.) work properly.

Regards, mj
GeckoLikesMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
vsgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
You could try
SWS/BR: Focus tracks ..
That was it! Fantastic. Thank you.

By adding this to custom actions (before "Go to next/previous track" and "Insert new track") i was able to get everything working.

It would be nice if this was the default behaviour though. Selecting a track should behave the same for keyboard and mouse in my opinion.

Again, thanks, this has been bothering me for months.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
FnA

Cool.

I don't know if this is interesting, because it revolves around ReaScript/API, but maybe our little discussion sheds a little light on the "CursorContext" thingy they have in place:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=211178

I'd like to see some kind of border around the focused docker or whichever area of the Main Window has focus. It might be kind of complicated because there are some differences when MCP has focus vs TCP. "Select All Tracks" behavior, etc. At least, I think a different theme color could be given to a docker tab or it's text, if that has focus? It would also be useful to know these things via API, especially if MIDI Editor has focus.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
You could try

SWS/BR: Focus tracks

I would like to see something for this too...

Thank you so much! it worked for me too <3
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote