Old 04-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Default v5.79pre11 - April 10 2018

v5.79pre11 - April 10 2018

+ FX learn: fix controller mapping defaults when FX name contains brackets [t=205458]
+ MIDI editor: improve multi-context grid quantization behavior [t=137514]
+ MIDI editor: preserve zoom level when switching contexts, do not auto-zoom in [p=1977060]
+ MIDI editor: various fixes to visibility/editability linking, same-track option
+ MIDI editor: when in one editor-per-project/track modes, always show full ruler [p=1977060]
+ Solo: improve receive behavior when folder track and child track soloed [t=205456]
# linux: support optional disabling of power management via /dev/cpu_dma_latency
+ kenny - fixed the ability to see that you just copied a custom action in said action list

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 04-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
playtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
+ kenny - fixed the ability to see that you just copied a custom action in said action list
Kenny feature added, yayyy! Even if I don't know what is it
playtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
DaveKeehl

I was just talking with Justin about this a while ago. Kenny is just an acronym (like Reaper and Walter) for a new AI developped by Cockos that will allow the user to connect mind and body to Reaper in order to produce music directly with ideas and physiological stimulation.

Kenny stands for:

Knowledge Ecosystem for a Native and Natural Yourself
Old 04-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
I was just talking with Justin about this a while ago. Kenny is just an acronym (like Reaper and Walter) for a new AI developped by Cockos that will allow the user to connect mind and body to Reaper in order to produce music directly with ideas and physiological stimulation.

Kenny stands for:

Tee Hee
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
tusitala

Thank you so much guys, working with piano roll and notation bak and forth is getting better and better!!!! thanks!!!

Please consider adding the option to also automatically record arm the track when activated...or maybe to have an action in the MIDI editor so that I could create a custom action with "activate next track" + "record-arm"...I'm asking this here as I consider it strictly related to the work you're doing in the midi / notation editors

in my opinion it would make much much sense as it is exactly how notation programs work: you click on a flute bar and you can play and input flute notes with your midi keyboard, you click on the piano track and you can play and input piano notes with your midi keyboard, etc etc.

I've explained it through on this post:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=15
or in this FR:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205395

Thank you guys you are the best!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
playtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post

Kenny stands for:

Makes sense. Now I know why I feel so Kenny-ish
playtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
ferropop

Quote:
v5.79pre11 - April 10 2018

+ Solo: improve receive behavior when folder track and child track soloed [t=205456]
Thank you Justin! As an FYI for what this now allows:

For those of us processing big chunks of tracks using folders (ie. sidechain ducking, filter effects) and needing to print stems with that processing Embedded in the stems:

1. Solo the track(s) you'd like to stem.
2. Solo the folder(s) the track belongs to. Ie, if Kick is in the DRUMS folder, which is in the INSTRUMENTAL folder, solo Kick, DRUMS, INSTRUMENTAL.
3. Select the lowest-level folder in the chain you'd like to print processing from. ie. in above example, select INSTRUMENTAL.
4. "Render track post-fader" on that folder.

This new behaviour allows the above beautifully. Thanks Justin! Now to find a way to script the above for all selected tracks, and we have an automated "Print Stems with Folder Processing" function, which is essential for those of us doing Pop.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Will test MIDI editor improvements soon! Thanks devs for finally addressing this! Stoked
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
Dimson

In the monitoring-fx circuit differ readings of the SPAN Analyzer, settings are the same in both projects. After reboot, the Reaper, Analyzer starts working as expected.
The problem appears if the analyzer was in offline state before inclusion.

Reaper 5.78

Reaper 5.79pre11
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
DANIELE

I don't know if this is in the changes I read here but as you are doing some improovements in midi editor I could ask something inherent:

Could you change the way zoom out works when I have triplets grid division?

I mean, when I zoom out in some scenarios I see multiple of 4 in grid divison instead of multiple of 3 as it should be.

I would show you what I mean but actually I can't.

Ask if I have to explain better.

Thank you.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:45 AM   #11
EvilDragon

OK Reaper still autozooms instead of scrolling at current zoom level in some cases in one MIDI editor per project mode. Mainly when activating a single item outside of the current viewport area. This is easy to see here (BTW we can also see our old "friend" negative measures here... MIDI editor ruler should never EVER show values that aren't in the main arrange ruler!):

I understand some people might like this behavior, but an option to never autozoom would be welcome over here. As mentioned before, in the above case, when clicking on that third "far away" item, MIDI editor should center the view around the area where the item was clicked in the arrange view, retaining the current zoom level. Just an option to never EVER autozoom would be nice (after all, we have an action to zoom to content if need arises).

Current behavior is better than it was before, but while at it, why not perfect it?

(With all this in mind, a new timebase mode that would synchronize the viewports of arrange and MIDI editors (ruler/horiz scrolling and zoom level) would ALSO be extremely welcome. Current "project synced" timebase doesn't work correctly in the above layout where MIDI editor is on its own monitor offset from the arrange view. I know that's not the intention of that timebase, but it'd be so awesome if we had this.)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 04-11-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:05 AM   #12
fred

Default notation editor: clef problem

The clef assignment seems still unreliable.
Example: MIDI item with a single C2 note is shown with treble clef (see attachment).
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Cleftest.RPP (3.1 KB, 170 views)
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:23 AM   #13
nofish

MIDI editor on a roll, yay! Thanks.

(ED, could you please link that large image externally ? It totally blows up the forum horizontally for me (meaning constant left / right scrolling to read). Thanks. )
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
(ED, could you please link that large image externally ? It totally blows up the forum horizontally for me (meaning constant left / right scrolling to read). Thanks. )
Use Reaper 5 forum theme, it autoreduces the images.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:11 AM   #15
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Use Reaper 5 forum theme, it autoreduces the images.
Ha, it all looks a bit unfamiliar now (I was on REAPER 3 forum theme forever) but it works.
Thanks for the heads up.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #16
horneusz

Hi Devs.
Perhaps while fixing the MidiEditor bugs you could also have a look at the inline ME issue:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....06#post1902706

It’s very important to me, as it’s the only thing that prevents Reaper from becoming a nice step sequencer for drums, just like here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmfd5s860x...p_seq.PNG?dl=0

horneusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #17
drummerboy

Hey devs

Sorry for sneaking this in:
While you‘re looking at solo-behaviour, could you take a look at this?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204679

Seems to be related to folder/send stuff.
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
The clef assignment seems still unreliable.
Example: MIDI item with a single C2 note is shown with treble clef (see attachment).
Hmm, in your example you have it forced to only show a treble clef... right click near the clef and choose "Default clef" "Treble and Bass" or "Bass"
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #19
Dimson

Now when I open item I have to put the cursor in its beginning, otherwise I see empty space, it is extremely uncomfortable. Who would need that? Add a new behavior as an option. Working in the Reaper, constantly have to follow the list of innovations and change their habits. But then there will be no time for work)), I understand that this is a pre-release version, but I do not want this behavior to be transferred to the final build. I apologize for my English, I use a translator.

Reaper 5.78

Reaper 5.79pre11

Last edited by Dimson; 04-11-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #20
fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm, in your example you have it forced to only show a treble clef... right click near the clef and choose "Default clef" "Treble and Bass" or "Bass"
But can the default clef somehow be disabled?
Generally I would prefer that Reaper chooses the proper clef just from the pitch range.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #21
mccrabney

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: various fixes to visibility/editability linking, same-track option
+ MIDI editor: when in one editor-per-project/track modes, always show full ruler [p=1977060]
i hope this is on topic for this pre. i'm happy to retract/move this post if not.

i've wished for a long time that there was no consideration of "active or non-active" midi item for when a user enters a one-editor-per-project/track mode. i wish the whole track was active as if it were 1 big item, despite consisting of multiple items.

as someone who does a lot of quick editing from the arrange view (example, slicing out sections of a midi item in order to quickly delete notes) i end up with a lot of midi items that i'd rather edit as one, without forcibly re-gluing all of the time.

i guess i don't understand the benefit of active/non-active items and wish there was a mode to set the entire track as "Active" automatically. if this exists already, i haven't been able to figure it out. having all of the track items active/editable while remaining separate items is beneficial for zoom-to-item-contents purposes etc.

the closest i can get to what i want is this, where double clicking in different midi items activates subsequently clicked items, leaving the last activated item active, but deactivates the previously active item. i want them all to be active if they exist on the same track.

Last edited by mccrabney; 04-11-2018 at 07:33 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #22
EvilDragon

You can only have a single active item with the way Reaper is currently, but you can have all visible items editable if you want (if item selection is linked to both visibility AND editability)...
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #23
stamp

Nice to see some love for the midi editor.

Couple of suggestions
- limit max note height for vertical zoom
- new mouse modifier for midi piano roll/left drag -> insert note then drag to extend or change velocity.

Thanks!
You're doing a fantastic job!
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #24
mccrabney

Quote:
You can only have a single active item with the way Reaper is currently, but you can have all visible items editable if you want (if item selection is linked to both visibility AND editability)...
thanks, yeah until recently i used those settings, but lately i've really enjoyed being able to see uneditable, semi-transparent midi from other tracks, necessitating "media item selection linked to visibility" to be toggled off. i wish there was a way to have both full-track edit ability and full-project transparent visibility.

i'm looking at the midi editor actions and seeing that these prefs can be changed via action, so i'll be adding these to a midi toolbar to toggle between views for now
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #25
ovnis

Quote:
Bug or excepected sad behaviour ? I'm not able to select midi notes of the pasted item.

If I want to be able to select the notes, I have to active the midi item.

Last edited by ovnis; 04-11-2018 at 09:25 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
thanks, yeah until recently i used those settings, but lately i've really enjoyed being able to see uneditable, semi-transparent midi from other tracks, necessitating "media item selection linked to visibility" to be toggled off. i wish there was a way to have both full-track edit ability and full-project transparent visibility.
You can make it so that MIDI editor always shows all project MIDI, then you get semi-transparent notes from other items all the time. But yeah, sel linked to visibility then needs to be off. But you can still have selection linked to editability enabled.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Bug or excepected sad behaviour ? I'm not able to select midi notes of the pasted item (I haven't selected it).

If I want to be able to select the notes, I have to active the midi item.
What are your visibility/editability settings? If you have selection linked to visibility, then of course you need to have items you wish to edit across selected.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #28
ferropop

I want to share a script I just wrote (aka hacked-together from X-Raym's code lol) that leverages the new SOLO functionality of this pre!

Usage: select track(s) you'd like to print through parent folder, run script.

Notice the folder mute gets printed to the stem, and so does the sidechain ducking from the kick!

Let me know where it's appropriate to post this - it's surely invaluable to people working on modern pop, EDM.

Last edited by ferropop; 04-11-2018 at 01:24 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #29
mccrabney

Quote:
But you can still have selection linked to editability enabled.
hmm.

when i enter a midi item on a track, i run a custom action to zoom to item content (among doing a few other unrelated things). just now, with "selection linked to editability" enabled, i added "select all items on track" to the end of that custom action. i then entered an item on a track with multiple midi items on it.

it worked, kind of -- all track midi was editable. however, upon double clicking on another section of the midi item and activating another midi item, i get the same behavior as in the licecap i pasted before, where only the last 2 selected midi items are editable, and the previously selected items are not.

this would work if it was possible to leave all items selected on the track while browsing the track via midi editor, but i think the best solution from a user perspective would be to have all items editable on the track without needing to have them selected/active, the way they are with "media item selection is linked to visibility" on.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #30
ovnis

Quote:
What are your visibility/editability settings?
All is checked.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #31
HighVoltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
...but i think the best solution from a user perspective would be to have all items editable on the track without needing to have them selected/active, the way they are with "media item selection is linked to visibility" on.
Totally agreed, a menu option for 'all items editable on same track' would be cool.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:27 AM   #32
HighVoltage

I have a 'bug' to report with the solo behaviour.
Managed to create a project with only reaper plugins:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8by7pi9i7...thing.rpp?dl=0

Play the project
You hear 3 synth drum sounds
Now try to solo the channels labeled SN, BD and BLIP
If you solo them separately, everything works as expected
Now solo all 3 channels http://prntscr.com/jh9cqs
Only the BLIP channel will play.

Notice that the BLIP channel has disabled sends to the SN and BD channels.
If you remove those disabled sends, the solo will work as expected.

Even if you just enable the sends, only the BLIP channel's audio will go through the soloed BD and SN tracks.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #33
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post

I have a 'bug' to report with the solo behaviour.
Managed to create a project with only reaper plugins:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8by7pi9i7...thing.rpp?dl=0

Play the project
You hear 3 synth drum sounds
Now try to solo the channels labeled SN, BD and BLIP
If you solo them separately, everything works as expected
Now solo all 3 channels http://prntscr.com/jh9cqs
Only the BLIP channel will play.

Notice that the BLIP channel has disabled sends to the SN and BD channels.
If you remove those disabled sends, the solo will work as expected.

Even if you just enable the sends, only the BLIP channel's audio will go through the soloed BD and SN tracks.
This is an old behavior (in 5.62 and earlier), and has some legitimate uses (soloing one destination of a track makes that destination the exclusive route...).

Workarounds: 1) solo the drum sub folder as well, or 2) use Solo (ignore routing)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #34
HighVoltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This is an old behavior (in 5.62 and earlier), and has some legitimate uses (soloing one destination of a track makes that destination the exclusive route...).

Workarounds: 1) solo the drum sub folder as well, or 2) use Solo (ignore routing)
I understand this workflow, but if the sends are bypassed, the exclusive route should not apply, since the audio wont pass through anyway.

So maybe a tweak is possible so reaper passes audio through if the send is bypassed.
I can just simply delete the bypassed sends now and it behaves as expected.

It makes no sense that a bypassed -non working - send blocks audio, and when deleting it, it passes it through.

(P.S: Workaround 1 won't work if the tracks are not in a folder.)
Edit: I think you meant soloing the sending midi track, in that case it works, and might be a good workaround

Last edited by HighVoltage; 05-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.