Old 05-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #1
Huge
Human being with feelings

Default How to split item at razor edit?

I am looking to make a custom action for VO editing. I want to lower each breath by -12 dB. I am looking for an action that splits an item at the razor edit I have selected. Is this possible? After the item is split, I can trigger the "Nudge item volume down -1dB" action 12 times to get my desired result. Here is what I am trying to achieve (though on an audio event):

I would also like to do the same split command but then MUTE the selection. Any thoughts?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Daodan

Item: Split items at time selection (Shift+S by default) ?
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
bolgwrad

This custom action turns a time selection into a (split) RE:
Old 05-12-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
Huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Item: Split items at time selection (Shift+S by default) ?
This works except I have to click on the item to select it and then run the action. Am looking to skip that selection step (or automate it somehow). Would like to just select with razor edit, then run action to split the razor area.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #5
Huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
This custom action turns a time selection into a (split) RE:
This is great, but do you know how to lower the item volume without selecting it again? I can definitely see this being valuable for me though.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
This works except I have to click on the item to select it and then run the action. Am looking to skip that selection step (or automate it somehow). Would like to just select with razor edit, then run action to split the razor area.
This action works with razor edits. Just create razor edit(s), run it and you'll get new item(s) selected. Than you can process those items, nudge volume for example. No need to select item before.
Or did I misunderstand you?
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:03 PM   #7
Huge

You are right. I'm not sure what mistake I made. But this is exactly what I need. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
This action works with razor edits. Just create razor edit(s), run it and you'll get new item(s) selected. Than you can process those items, nudge volume for example. No need to select item before.
Or did I misunderstand you?
Old 10-05-2022, 12:52 AM   #8
the19thbear

Hi. I can't get this to work, because when using razor editing, the time selection does not follow the razor edited area. (i'm assuming that is why).
Any suggestions?

My goal is to make a razor edit selection. Press a hotkey and make a split at the beginning of the razor edit and at the ending of the razor edit, so seperate it from the total length of the item.

Thanks
the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:49 AM   #9
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
Hi. I can't get this to work, because when using razor editing, the time selection does not follow the razor edited area. (i'm assuming that is why).
Any suggestions?

My goal is to make a razor edit selection. Press a hotkey and make a split at the beginning of the razor edit and at the ending of the razor edit, so seperate it from the total length of the item.

Thanks
why does it need to be razor edit? if it will do what you want using time selection isn't that as easy?

just asking

M
Old 10-05-2022, 04:44 AM   #10
the19thbear

Because I can do razor selecting with left mouse button (which I prefer for my workflow). I cannot do normal marquee selection in media item, with left mouse button. Otherwise, I would just use normal marquee selection stuff.

Last edited by the19thbear; 10-05-2022 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:58 AM   #11
norbury brook

Quote:
Because I can do razor selecting with left mouse button (which I prefer for my workflow). I cannot do normal marquee selection in media item, with left mouse button. Otherwise, I would just use normal marquee selection stuff.

ha, yes the Reaper right click marquee conundrum I've always hated this since V1.x

makes 100% sense to do razor edit with left.

thinking about it though, you don't have to marquee select to set a time selection you can do that with left click as well if you change the mouse modifiers so the script will work using left click /drag.

M
Old 10-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #12
EpicSounds

Quote:

the default is shift-left-click.
check your mouse modifiers.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:18 AM   #13
the19thbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
ha, yes the Reaper right click marquee conundrum I've always hated this since V1.x

makes 100% sense to do razor edit with left.

thinking about it though, you don't have to marquee select to set a time selection you can do that with left click as well if you change the mouse modifiers so the script will work using left click /drag.

M
Thanks.
Maybe I should just describe what I am going for here:
I want to left drag and be able to make a selection of an item and split at the razor edit edges.

I currently can't seem to find a way to do this.
There is no action for "split at razor edit start/end".

That being said, I would be just as happy to be able to do marquee selection+time selection on top edge of any item with left mouse drag (and no hotkey). That would actually be a better solution. And then use left drag on lower edge to move the item.

Thanks

Last edited by the19thbear; 10-06-2022 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:00 AM   #14
jacksorjacksor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
the default is shift-left-click.
check your mouse modifiers.

Perfect, thank you! This is called "Split media items at area edges", which while assignable as a Mouse Modifier, doesn't appear to be available as an Action (i.e. you can Shift+LCLick to create the item from the razor selection, but not set a key to create it for you).

Shift+LClick works perfectly for me, but funny to find that I couldn't assign it to an action.
jacksorjacksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:49 AM   #15
abnegative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksorjacksor View Post
Perfect, thank you! This is called "Split media items at area edges", which while assignable as a Mouse Modifier, doesn't appear to be available as an Action (i.e. you can Shift+LCLick to create the item from the razor selection, but not set a key to create it for you).

Shift+LClick works perfectly for me, but funny to find that I couldn't assign it to an action.
I was surprised this was available as a mouse modifier but not an action. This script will split at razor edges: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=259751

In that thread I shared a modified version that will split at razor edit edges if they exist, otherwise at the edit cursor.
abnegative is offline   Reply With Quote