Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 04-09-2024, 01:47 AM   #1
Gass n Klang
Human being with feelings

Default export Midi settings global instead per project

hey guys,
I find it weird that audio export settings are safed with each project individually while midi export settings are global. I think both should be per project. Besides there should be a possibility to automatically use the same export folder for midi as for audio bounces.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:16 AM   #2
Steve Fishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
hey guys,
I find it weird that audio export settings are safed with each project individually while midi export settings are global. I think both should be per project. Besides there should be a possibility to automatically use the same export folder for midi as for audio bounces.
I agree completely. The current system makes little sense.

Some other MIDI issues:
  1. The MIDI export folder should be configurable at the settings level using a wildcard, so that exported MIDI files can go to a user-defined project sub-folder (e.g. /My-Song/Exported-MIDI/), just as rendered audio files currently can. The present situation is absurd -- a new song's MIDI is by default exported to the last-used export folder, which is always going to be under the wrong project folder the first time you export.
  2. MIDI export could also do well to have a new option: "Export conductor's score file plus one file per track", or similar.
  3. At least when opened in Finale, the MIDI Reaper exports has NO title, NO composer name, NO tempo info and NO tempo change info. This is not the way things should be, though I don't discount the possibility that this is Finale's fault.
  4. Reaper's MIDI files are ANSI text files instead of Unicode, which is the universal standard and has been for forever. This means most of the world's characters are mangled in Reaper's MIDI files -- "Bandoneˇn" comes out as "Bandone├│n", for example. This blast from the early 1990s does NOT make me nostalgic. Note that this is in spite of the fact that I have set "Character set for exported MIDI text events" to "UTF-8".

A very welcome feature would be to add a filter, which could be based on velocity or the note itself, to allow MIDI articulation and similar control notes to be kept out of MIDI files. I'm referring to things used by most VSTIs like C0 = Ordinario, C#0 = Pizzicato, etc.

Finishing a song and doing everything that needs done afterward is currently a real slog in Reaper!

Last edited by Steve Fishboy; 04-10-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Steve Fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:36 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fishboy View Post
Reaper's MIDI files are ANSI text files instead of Unicode, which is the universal standard and has been for forever. This means most of the world's characters are mangled in Reaper's MIDI files -- "Bandoneˇn" comes out as "Bandone├│n", for example. This blast from the early 1990s does NOT make me nostalgic. Note that this is in spite of the fact that I have set "Character set for exported MIDI text events" to "UTF-8".

FWIW that looks a lot like REAPER is encoding that U+00F3 as UTF-8 (0xC3 0xB3) and whatever it is reading it is reading it as 8-bit ASCII (0xC3 is ├ and 0xB3 is │). Perhaps try using the Latin-1 export encoding instead?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 09:46 AM   #4
Steve Fishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
FWIW that looks a lot like REAPER is encoding that U+00F3 as UTF-8 (0xC3 0xB3) and whatever it is reading it is reading it as 8-bit ASCII (0xC3 is ├ and 0xB3 is │). Perhaps try using the Latin-1 export encoding instead?
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Finale may not be built on as ancient and rickety a codebase as Protools and Cubase/Nuendo, but it comes close. So it being Unicode-unaware would NOT surprise me.
Steve Fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote