Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-14-2024, 11:52 AM   #1
bmanic
Human being with feelings

Default Crash: Reaper suddenly crashes when dragging a send to FabFilter Pro-MB for SC

I have this peculiar project that keeps crashing when I try to drag a send from a track to an instance of FF Pro-MB for sidechaining.

The weird thing is that it's happening 100% consistently but as soon as I move the track I'm trying to send from, even if it's general position within the routing stays the same (it's still in the same slot in terms of the various busses), then it works without any problems.

Basically what I have is a save file here that 100% reliably crashes for me. Always and exactly the same way.

Is this of any interest for the developers here? I can zip up the project without the audio data (can't share that) and send it somewhere.

I've attached the crash report that OS X spits out.

My computer is a simple Mac Mini M1 running Monterey 12.7.3

EDIT: Update, it actually crashes immediately when I try to change the channel count of the bus from 2 to 4. So that's what's causing the crash. I'll investigate further and see if some plugin causes the crash on that channel.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper 7.14 crash.rtf.zip (29.0 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by bmanic; 04-14-2024 at 12:10 PM.
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

The report shows that the crash is happening within some VST3 plugin called "THE OVEN".
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:26 PM   #3
Tone Ranger

The Oven is a Plugin Alliance plugin. Unfortunately I've experienced crashes with other PA plugins when using a sidechain too (like the Acme Opticom compressor).
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:32 PM   #4
Wallaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
The Oven is a Plugin Alliance plugin. Unfortunately I've experienced crashes with other PA plugins when using a sidechain too (like the Acme Opticom compressor).
What audio driver do you use ?
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:05 PM   #5
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
What audio driver do you use ?
I'm on Mac, UA Apollo via Core Audio. PA have acknowledged the issue and directed me back a few versions of their plugins (which do work properly), but it seems they haven't rectified the issue as yet in their newer versions.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:38 PM   #6
Wallaby

Glad you can work.
Thanks for reporting back the solution.
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:38 AM   #7
bmanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The report shows that the crash is happening within some VST3 plugin called "THE OVEN".
Ah you are right! I can't duplicate the crash once I removed that plugin. Will contact Plugin Alliance and see if they can get it fixed.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:39 AM   #8
bmanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
I'm on Mac, UA Apollo via Core Audio. PA have acknowledged the issue and directed me back a few versions of their plugins (which do work properly), but it seems they haven't rectified the issue as yet in their newer versions.
So any specific version you got to work? Also, do you happen to know download links for their older versions?
Old 04-15-2024, 11:02 AM   #9
bmanic

I'll add here that the VST2 versions seems to work just fine. It's specifically the VST3 version that keeps crashing.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:42 AM   #10
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
So any specific version you got to work? Also, do you happen to know download links for their older versions?
I was having issues with a session that used Acme Opticom on a channel that had Fabfilter Pro MB further down the chain running with a sidechain. After running an update on my PA plugins the session would crash on load - and I managed to narrow it down to Acme Opticom. After chatting with PA's help department we realized it was a sidechain issue (even though that particular plugin wasn't running in sidechain mode). From a backup I regressed to the previous version of Acme Opticom that was on my drive when the session worked fine (version 1.8) and everything worked fine. Since then I've just never updated that particular plugin. I've noticed this behaviour with several other PA plugins (such as BX Subfilter) but because each plugin has it's own version according to how long it has existed, I had no way of knowing what version to revert to to get it to work - so I just didn't use the plugin. PA doesn't seem to have done anything to fix the issue unfortunately - maybe if enough of us complain about it, they'll look into it more seriously. It seems to have to do with the way Reaper reports the presence of additional channels on a track (for sidechaining) to plugins that aren't in sidechain mode - from what I remember the issue didn't affect other DAWs...I hope that's helpful!
Old 04-19-2024, 04:41 PM   #11
bmanic

Yeah, I sent the crash report and also a video of The Oven crashing and the guys over at iZotope/NI/PA were immediately able to reproduce the crash. They could also get the AU and VST2 to crash in Reaper.

Hopefully they get it sorted as I really do use quite a few of their plugins.

I tried ACME Opticom but could not get it to crash no matter how hard I tried. Had a bunch of PA plugins all in a row and then switched to 4 channel mode on the track and only The Oven crashed.

I've had quite a few crashes lately with Reaper and it's almost always while loading a complex project. The most crash prone seems to be Kirchoff EQ (the original version, not the one from Plugin Alliance) which is really bad for me as it's my main EQ. Will have to contact them and see if it can be solved.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:50 PM   #12
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Yeah, I sent the crash report and also a video of The Oven crashing and the guys over at iZotope/NI/PA were immediately able to reproduce the crash. They could also get the AU and VST2 to crash in Reaper.

Hopefully they get it sorted as I really do use quite a few of their plugins.

I tried ACME Opticom but could not get it to crash no matter how hard I tried. Had a bunch of PA plugins all in a row and then switched to 4 channel mode on the track and only The Oven crashed.

I've had quite a few crashes lately with Reaper and it's almost always while loading a complex project. The most crash prone seems to be Kirchoff EQ (the original version, not the one from Plugin Alliance) which is really bad for me as it's my main EQ. Will have to contact them and see if it can be solved.
Fingers crossed they figure it out - and hopefully they try the test on some of their other plugins as well and fix all of the culprits. I haven't attempted to update Acme Opticom in 6 months or so, maybe they've fixed it now. Might give it a shot and see what happens, thanks for the heads up!