Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-13-2024, 10:48 AM   #1
Trichter
Human being with feelings

Default Which master keyboard works best with Reaper and Linux?

Hello,
I am using Reaper 7 with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Windows plugins work well with wine and yabridge.

Now I think about buying a master keyboard.
Something like that:
https://www.thomann.de/de/arturia_minilab_3_white.htm

Do you have any experience with that (or similar master keyboards)?
Is it easy plug and play or should I prepare for weeks of testing and reinstalling drivers?
Are there any brands that work particularly well with Linux and Reaper?

Best regards
Trichter
Trichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:08 AM   #2
Glennbo

I use a full size M-Audio Keystation 61 as my main keyboard, but also use this smaller M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini with both my desktop DAW machine and with my Raspberry Pi 5. All the faders, knobs, and pads work great with REAPER for Linux.

I went with 32 mini keys on this one instead of 24 full sized keys, because it makes it more playable IMO. I used the pads and the damper pedal to play the drums on my most recent Pi5 project.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:27 AM   #3
Trichter

Thanks, that one looks good. I will put it on my shortlist.

Any further opinions are welcome as well of course.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:45 PM   #4
fabio77

I use a bigger one from AKAI, without any issue.

I think (not knowing but thinking), that all midi functions should work fine on linux and reaper, independent of the model.
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:45 AM   #5
XoechZ

Using a Nektar Impact GX61. No issues, everything works. No installation needed, just plug and play.
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:43 AM   #6
Trichter

Thanks alot.
Apparently, the Nektar keyboards even have official Linux support. (At least Ubuntu is mentioned on their website ).
https://nektartech.com/impact-lx-mini/
Old 04-15-2024, 06:16 AM   #7
SmajjL

AKAI MPK mini Plus
Just tested on REAPER and Midi learn works and the "endless" knobs are not a problem'o and.. adding a REAPER- action and assigning Play, also works for example.
Ps, the PADs are not sensitive enough for fingerdrumming.. better for Toogle (unless you are Magnus Samuelsson) ..
https://www.thomann.de/se/akai_profe..._mini_plus.htm

Last edited by SmajjL; 04-15-2024 at 06:22 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:00 PM   #8
Stringer

I use an M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3. I don't do anything fancy, but I just plugged it in and it works.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:12 PM   #9
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trichter View Post
Hello,
I am using Reaper 7 with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Windows plugins work well with wine and yabridge.

Now I think about buying a master keyboard.
Something like that:
https://www.thomann.de/de/arturia_minilab_3_white.htm

Do you have any experience with that (or similar master keyboards)?
Is it easy plug and play or should I prepare for weeks of testing and reinstalling drivers?
Are there any brands that work particularly well with Linux and Reaper?

Best regards
Trichter
Normally, class-compliant USB controllers should work out of the box.

However, with this Arturia Minilab, I read that knobs are set in 'relative' mode (whatever that may be) and you have to use Arturia's (Windows only) MIDI Control Centre software to put it into absolute mode in order to use it elsewhere.
I read that on some minilabs, there's a possibility to switch it on the device itself.

There's some other info here:
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic...p=68365#p68365

or Here:
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=24555

I have a simple Akai MPK Mini, that works directly on Linux. All knobs work.
But the 'Akai Software' I'm not sure, not tested yet. That's a Windows thing.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:41 AM   #10
mindlessgenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Normally, class-compliant USB controllers should work out of the box.
Looking for "class-compliant" in the specs first is definitely the way to go with Linux. Makes life so much easier.
mindlessgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:45 AM   #11
mindlessgenius

Quote:
Thanks alot.
Apparently, the Nektar keyboards even have official Linux support. (At least Ubuntu is mentioned on their website ).
https://nektartech.com/impact-lx-mini/
The specific mention of Ubuntu is probably due to the Bitwig license that comes with it. Since the device is class compliant, it should work with most distros out of the box.

Last edited by mindlessgenius; 04-17-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:01 AM   #12
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessgenius View Post
Looking for "class-compliant" in the specs first is definitely the way to go with Linux. Makes life so much easier.
Also, i just found out that Push3 (non SA) should work if we just give the thing some USB Udev rules and add us to the group thing.
Got that info from MOSS (drivenbymoss) and also the manual that's included in the extension package..
So, ordering one!
Old 04-17-2024, 10:08 AM   #13
mindlessgenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Also, i just found out that Push3 (non SA) should work if we just give the thing some USB Udev rules and add us to the group thing.
Got that info from MOSS (drivenbymoss) and also the manual that's included in the extension package..
So, ordering one!
I didn't say that the harder way couldn't be fun, too. I just don't generally assume other people to be fellow tinkerers
Man, now you got me into wanting one too, but I really can't justify the expense right now. Argh.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:26 AM   #14
SmajjL

Quote:
I didn't say that the harder way couldn't be fun, too. I just don't generally assume other people to be fellow tinkerers
Man, now you got me into wanting one too, but I really can't justify the expense right now. Argh.
Wish i knew this sooner though.. *argh!*
I can let you know how it goes when i get it, but i do trust Moss so, pretty certain it should work with his extensions
And i don't blame you, i went omg! omg! yesterday like a schooby doo
Old 04-17-2024, 10:35 AM   #15
mindlessgenius

Quote:
I can let you know how it goes when i get it, but i do trust Moss so, pretty certain it should work with his extensions
I'd appreciate that, now I'm curious
Old 04-18-2024, 05:42 AM   #16
Trichter

Thanks for everyone's help!
I decided to buy an AKAI MPK Mini Mk3 (mainly because it was a bit cheaper then other suggested options). It arrived today. Seems to work well out of the box without installing additional stuff. I am able to do finger-drumming on the pads, play horribly bad on the keys, can start/stop play and recording in control mode in Reaper and also adjust track volumes with the knobs.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:57 AM   #17
mindlessgenius

Quote:
...play horribly bad on the keys...
Clearly a quality control issue on Akai's side. Send it back!

Nice to hear it works for you.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:03 PM   #18
fabio77

Quote:
Clearly a quality control issue on Akai's side. Send it back!
I seem to have the same issue on my Akai also. And on some of my guitars...
fabio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:41 AM   #19
SmajjL

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help!
I decided to buy an AKAI MPK Mini Mk3 (mainly because it was a bit cheaper then other suggested options). It arrived today. Seems to work well out of the box without installing additional stuff. I am able to do finger-drumming on the pads, play horribly bad on the keys, can start/stop play and recording in control mode in Reaper and also adjust track volumes with the knobs.
It was the previous gen of that one i had before a Key decided to leave the chassi...
But i'm pretty sure it was my fault (indirectly) during transport.
the Keys on it was working fine before that happened and the PADs was not easy on that one either.

I replaced it with MPK mini Plus and everything is fine with that one.
It also has a tiny screen that show data besides that PADs do light up when triggered, so i can say it like this, one PAD can handle a Galaxy S20's weight before it triggers so, not so keen in doing ghost notes on that one..

Everything (here) is relative to a Launchpad X or a soon to be retired Maschine Mikro MK2 and i believe "soon" means Monday in this case
And the Mikro does not support Linux unless you are willing to hack! something..

Ps, for what it is worth i never did expect a "mini-keys" PADs to be ment for serious drumming just a bonus if such a thing exist and so, not lowering the score because of the PADs on that one, they can have other duties no problem'o
If the Keys are bad on a - Keyboard, return it!

Quote:
It looks like a Push2 (used) is an option also according to the manual if you have no need for Push3 features, i never had any Push'es at all so i can't go "not worth the upgrade" and that kind of speak
If there are Any issues with Push3, i will "no feelings of bias'ed'ness" let you know, you bet

Last edited by SmajjL; 04-19-2024 at 04:00 AM. Reason: To many smileys SmajjL.. and thy shall now be disciplined..
Old 04-22-2024, 11:43 AM   #20
atomlux

I have M-audio Keystation Pro 88 (the old one). Very heavy.
I put it away and got a Samson Carbon 61, very basic, but I don't need much, just the keys and the wheels.
The M-audio is there just in case I have to go out and play piano for money.
That one has all the bells and whistles and works on Linux. Get the PDF manual because it's complicated.
atomlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:04 PM   #21
SmajjL

Quote:
I'd appreciate that, now I'm curious
So, i did also get the MIDI and CV dongles just in case (not included) and i can confirm that the USB does provide class-compliant midi. (1 meter veeeery short cable)

But running it like that we won't get much to tweak, pad sens, drum layout or anything like that, Push will look sleepy not much is light up.

I downloaded the drivenbymoss scripts, did the sudo usermod -a -G audio $USER and sudo cp 99-userusbdevices.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/ and rebooted and Bitwig came to life!
Yes, Bitwig is a tad simpler still trying to understand what i need to do on REAPER, only got so far so the mixer shows up on the display of the Push3.

The pads is the reason i bought it and they are good enough to do ghostnotes/flames with two fingers on the same pad and going from 0 to 100 strength there are no inconsistancies so, from now on, it's up to me to get used to it and everything is going to be MY fault, and not the pads

The pads on youtube light up, so it gives the effect like they are soft or something, they are not, very! hard pads and since it supports MPE and slides and all that, understandeable.
Besides, if we would have the thing on a pillow, then the pillow would soak up evergy that is supposed to go on the pad, that's what i keep telling myself though.

To update the thing, i did that with Live 12 on Windows, but i am going to see if it will work with Live 11 through WINE because i know Live 11 works ok'ish, no luck with 12 - yet

Not returning it!

Can't get over we can have something like this on Linux and thanks to Moss!

Also, this dude does not look the slightest sad'ness with his Push2 that also is supposed to work

Last edited by SmajjL; 04-22-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:11 AM   #22
mindlessgenius

Wow, thanks for the write-up! That reads very good, especially this part:
Quote:
The pads is the reason i bought it and they are good enough to do ghostnotes/flames with two fingers on the same pad and going from 0 to 100 strength there are no inconsistancies...
I'm still struggling to get my old Joué Pro to this point of accuracy.

Quote:
Can't get over we can have something like this on Linux and thanks to Moss!
Yeah, Jürgen is an absolute legend for putting in the work the manufacturers refuse to.

I think I'll have to push the Push on my wishlist for Christmas. Or my Birthday. Or an unexpected and unlikely payrise .
Old 04-23-2024, 05:04 AM   #23
SmajjL

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the write-up! That reads very good, especially this part:

I'm still struggling to get my old Joué Pro to this point of accuracy.

Yeah, Jürgen is an absolute legend for putting in the work the manufacturers refuse to.

I think I'll have to push the Push on my wishlist for Christmas. Or my Birthday. Or an unexpected and unlikely payrise .

Disclaimer: I was soOoo0 tired and only did a non-Pro fast review and Test before i dropped into sleepy-mode

This Push3 and eveything is gonna GET it today though as compensation and i'll see if Moss mentions anything on the youtube for REAPER that i missed, would be nice to master Both DAWs

Joué Pro looks cool though on the Launchpad X, i do hit the aftertouch and set it to medium or OFF if that would help along with a Velocity Curve (Note FX) infront of it to get close to what i need, it still is no Push though.. but the price is not either
Linux devs also do Pushes and commits regulary they say and now Mindless-G , just a matter of time and BAM! wish granted

10 print "Jürgen"
20 goto 10
Ps, hope i did that one right
Old 04-23-2024, 08:27 AM   #24
Codesound

Hi,

I use an AKAI MPK249 and works great.....

Codesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:11 AM   #25
SmajjL

Quote:
I downloaded the drivenbymoss scripts, did the sudo usermod -a -G audio $USER and sudo cp 99-userusbdevices.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/ and rebooted and Bitwig came to life!
Yes, Bitwig is a tad simpler still trying to understand what i need to do on REAPER, only got so far so the mixer shows up on the display of the Push3.
]

Ahh Ooops! on REAPER we are supposed to turn OFF (disable) all IN-/Output controllers (in REAPER's pref) for this script, got it!!
Push light up like chistmas now and i can help planes land on a bad cloudy day - works!

Last edited by SmajjL; 04-24-2024 at 07:13 AM.