Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-08-2024, 12:33 PM   #1
TourMagdala
Human being with feelings

Default Question about time stretching/pitch shifting to key. Technique? VST?

OK, I'm relatively new to this, and sort of threw myself into the deep end since I figured that since I had written music before, this should be straightfoward. (I was wrong.)

OK, I'm looking to time-stretch/pitch shift a song or parts of a song. I've been researching VST's and techniques for it, but everything seems to be set to the idea of measuring it in bars/loops etc.

What I'm looking to: I have a song that for various reasons I am composing in REAPER that moves between Bm and the relative E Dorian. (specifically the other way around, but anyway).

The thing is, I want to, then time stretch/pitch shift it so that it goes to Am and D Dor.

Everything I see that does not go to bars/loops is for time stretching without altering the pitch, but I want the opposite.

So is there a VST or a technique where I can set something to time stretch by key? In other words, I want to be able to take a piece of music or a track in and tell the REAPER/a VST to "slow this down until it is in the key of Am" or "slow this down until it is one full step lower"*

*This may not be most music-theory correct way of saying it, but my background is in metal, so I'm thinking of this is as the equivalent of tuning down a a guitar or bass a full step so that playing in Bm/E Dor becomes playing in Am/D Dor.

Sorry if this is confusing. I literally took a week to figure out how to ask this question, because just thinking about it has confused me way more than it should.

The genre is a mix of witch house and gothic industrial, if that matters.
TourMagdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:20 AM   #2
martifingers

If I understand you correctly could you simply use Reapitch to change the pitch 2 semitones? Perhaps on an item by item basis?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:34 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

Playrate = 2^(semitone difference/12)
Turn off “preserve pitch…”
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 05:01 PM   #4
martifingers

Of course ascat is correct if you really do want the music's tempo to slow. I assumed that you did not want this as I misread (?) your comment ""slow this down until it is in the key of Am" or "slow this down until it is one full step lower".
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:55 AM   #5
TourMagdala

Thank you both, I think I posted this in the wrong forum and wanted to move it, so sorry for the incorrect place.

But yeah, that is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I do want to both slow the tempo and pitch it down, so that should work.
TourMagdala is offline   Reply With Quote