Old 04-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Old style buttons VS V7 buttons

Ok, so I'm noticing that V7 has gone with more minimalist design with toolbar buttons at least in some places, for example

All the buttons except for the last one, are just the image on the button, and not the button itself that gets pushed in.

The images i can edit, are only the sort of logo or image that appears on the button, but I don't see how to decide if the physical push-in button appears or not. I would like for all of these things to be consistent, Ideally.

I'm not even sure i can edit these buttons at all, but if i could change a setting somewhere so that the flat buttons become 3D buttons with the same image on it, that would be really sweet, or if there is another way, i'd be interested to know about that also.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:25 PM   #2
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
...All the buttons except for the last one...
They should be the same. You broke something.
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:22 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

toolbar_blank.png
Old 04-17-2024, 08:01 AM   #4
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
toolbar_blank.png
Thanks for reply. Toolbar_blank.png is the 3D button? How can I get Reaper to choose to use the blank PNG for the other buttons? Do I just not have the choice? Sometimes it will look for it and sometimes it won't?
Old 04-25-2024, 05:00 AM   #5
Vitalbass

toolbar_blank button will not create a 3D effect for buttons located in the Default_7.0.ReaperTheme theme itself, they need to be redrawn:

toolbar_dock_off
toolbar_dock_on
toolbar_envitem_off
toolbar_envitem_on
toolbar_filter_off
toolbar_filter_on
toolbar_grid_off
toolbar_grid_on
toolbar_group_off
toolbar_group_on
toolbar_load
toolbar_lock_off
toolbar_lock_on
toolbar_metro_off
toolbar_metro_on
toolbar_midi_itemsel_off
toolbar_midi_itemsel_on
toolbar_midi_mode_event_list
toolbar_midi_mode_musical_notation
toolbar_midi_mode_named_notes
toolbar_midi_mode_piano_roll
toolbar_midi_step
toolbar_midi_tracksel_off
toolbar_midi_tracksel_on
toolbar_new
toolbar_projprop
toolbar_quant_off
toolbar_quant_on
toolbar_redo
toolbar_relsnap_off
toolbar_relsnap_on
toolbar_replacemode
toolbar_revert
toolbar_ripple_all
toolbar_ripple_off
toolbar_ripple_one
toolbar_save
toolbar_snap_off
toolbar_snap_on
toolbar_undo
toolbar_xfade_off
toolbar_xfade_on

google helped with English
Geroyam Slava

Last edited by Vitalbass; 04-25-2024 at 05:05 AM.
Vitalbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 12:34 PM   #6
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalbass View Post
toolbar_blank button will not create a 3D effect for buttons located in the Default_7.0.ReaperTheme theme itself, they need to be redrawn:

toolbar_dock_off
toolbar_dock_on
toolbar_envitem_off
toolbar_envitem_on
toolbar_filter_off
toolbar_filter_on
toolbar_grid_off
toolbar_grid_on
toolbar_group_off
toolbar_group_on
toolbar_load
toolbar_lock_off
toolbar_lock_on
toolbar_metro_off
toolbar_metro_on
toolbar_midi_itemsel_off
toolbar_midi_itemsel_on
toolbar_midi_mode_event_list
toolbar_midi_mode_musical_notation
toolbar_midi_mode_named_notes
toolbar_midi_mode_piano_roll
toolbar_midi_step
toolbar_midi_tracksel_off
toolbar_midi_tracksel_on
toolbar_new
toolbar_projprop
toolbar_quant_off
toolbar_quant_on
toolbar_redo
toolbar_relsnap_off
toolbar_relsnap_on
toolbar_replacemode
toolbar_revert
toolbar_ripple_all
toolbar_ripple_off
toolbar_ripple_one
toolbar_save
toolbar_snap_off
toolbar_snap_on
toolbar_undo
toolbar_xfade_off
toolbar_xfade_on

google helped with English
Geroyam Slava
Thanks!

So, if i take all of those, and but them in another folder, what happens? will i get those images on the 3D button?

This is unfortunately a lot of buttons. But maybe i could fix the ones i come across.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:30 AM   #7
Rednroll

A general rule of thumb to go by is that the toolbar button image names which follow a naming format of "toolbar_<name>_off.png" and "toolbar_<name>_on.png" will need to have the background button image embedded into them. Or another way of saying it, those images with "off" and "on" at the end of the image name, will not place the toolbar_blank.png image behind them.

Vitalbass provided you an actual list of those button images. As an example with image toolbar_dock_off.png and toolbar_dock_on.png, you would need to open those images in your image editor, place your toolbar_blank.png image behind them and then re-save them with the toolbar_blank.png image embedded into them. You don't need to move them to another folder. Another way to do it would be to create a button named "toolbar_dock.png" (ie no longer contains off or on as part of the name), then you would need to re-assign that toolbar image to the toolbar action.

I don't fully understand the rhyme or reason Reaper has those on_off button images, but speculate there is some development evolution history which took place and I just deal with them as I come across them by embedding the background button images into them so they match all my other buttons which get the toolbar_blank.png placed behind them automatically.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-28-2024 at 07:39 AM.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 04:34 PM   #8
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
A general rule of thumb to go by is that the toolbar button image names which follow a naming format of "toolbar_<name>_off.png" and "toolbar_<name>_on.png" will need to have the background button image embedded into them. Or another way of saying it, those images with "off" and "on" at the end of the image name, will not place the toolbar_blank.png image behind them.

Vitalbass provided you an actual list of those button images. As an example with image toolbar_dock_off.png and toolbar_dock_on.png, you would need to open those images in your image editor, place your toolbar_blank.png image behind them and then re-save them with the toolbar_blank.png image embedded into them. You don't need to move them to another folder. Another way to do it would be to create a button named "toolbar_dock.png" (ie no longer contains off or on as part of the name), then you would need to re-assign that toolbar image to the toolbar action.

I don't fully understand the rhyme or reason Reaper has those on_off button images, but speculate there is some development evolution history which took place and I just deal with them as I come across them by embedding the background button images into them so they match all my other buttons which get the toolbar_blank.png placed behind them automatically.
Thank you. That's very annoying. I wish they would have just kept using the toolbar background button functionality, and replace the background button with a transparent PNG I'd you don't want to use it.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:06 AM   #9
Rednroll

Yes, it’s a layer of peeling back another layer of the theming proverbial onion. It likely adds some flexibility. If you want the toolbar_blank.png placed behind every toolbar button it can become an annoyance. If you want the ability to choose if certain buttons get toolbar_blank.png behind them, then it adds that capability.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-29-2024 at 05:18 AM.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:41 PM   #10
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Yes, it’s a layer of peeling back another layer of the theming proverbial onion. It likely adds some flexibility. If you want the toolbar_blank.png placed behind every toolbar button it can become an annoyance. If you want the ability to choose if certain buttons get toolbar_blank.png behind them, then it adds that capability.
Ya, it lets you pick and choose which is which, but i really wish that happened with a checkmark in the toolbar customization area rather than this, because that's a lot of work now if i want to keep my theme up to date.