Old 04-05-2024, 01:27 AM   #1
RobertP
Human being with feelings

Default Rap song singer

I have made a rap song so wondered if anyone would like to sing the lyrics.
The tune needs some more tinkering but the lyrics are about right I think.
For fun not commercial in any way
Old 04-07-2024, 01:16 AM   #2
RobertP

bump?
Old 04-07-2024, 11:46 AM   #3
AudioBabble

how about post the demo and lyrics here?

You'll likely get more interest with a bit of show'n'tell
Old 04-07-2024, 12:34 PM   #4
RobertP

Is that a yes?

joking

You are right, I should, and I will
Old 04-12-2024, 04:00 PM   #5
eq1

I'm kind of waiting to hear the demo...
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 12:40 AM   #6
RobertP

It's on my list to do ...

sons and daughters building projects take precedent.....so I am told..
Old 04-13-2024, 06:01 AM   #7
AudioBabble

Sons and daughters, future architects in the making,
Building projects, foundations they're shaking,
From the ground up, they rise to the occasion,
Creating structures that leave a lasting sensation.

[AI has entered the chat]
Old 04-13-2024, 01:07 PM   #8
RobertP

Love it!

I am not a particular fan of rap but someone asked me to have a go and not use "rap type music", whatever that means/is.

So I tried hard, put the tune together first then looked at lyrics. It is about the politically damaged, declining (British) health service and the effects on health staff and patients. All of which makes me terribly cross but then procrastination steps in and it all takes me a while, during which time I do the building, except when, of course, I am posting here....sigh...
Old 04-13-2024, 01:58 PM   #9
eq1

fyi, I don't think the term "rap" is used any longer, but rather, it's "hip hop." Might be mistaken, like in general "hip hop" is used, but maybe "rap" is still used and reserved for something more specific and/or historical?
Old 04-15-2024, 10:14 AM   #10
RobertP

OK, here it is, just download, let's get the vibe,
try the one without vocals, let the rhythm ride.
Apologies for my vocals, they might sound raw,
But it's all about the essence, which is what you're here for.

Listen close, hear the passion it's in every line,
Even if the mix ain't perfect, it's still got shine.
So please take a chance, give it a listen, take it in,
We're just getting started, this is where we begin.

So there it is, the download awaits,
Two versions, packed with soul, no debates.
Apologies for the flaws, they're just a part of the art,
But together, we'll rise, and make a brand new start.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...iZ?usp=sharing
Old 04-15-2024, 01:01 PM   #11
eq1

Dude! Forget finding a "rap song singer," you're IT! This song totally rocks - and your voice is indispensable, in my opinion...

If you post raw tracks for download, I'll take a stab at a rough mix for you. Your mix is pretty bad...

Put each drum element on its own track if not already like that, like kick on own track, closed hat on own track, etc. Convert any MIDI to audio. Remove any effects - unless you absolutely want them baked-in, like an FX on a guitar as part of its sound is OK, reverb on that guitar not OK.

It'd probably take me at minimum a few days to whip something up, I could send you the whole project when done.

edit: Here's a link to a mix I just finished, for this month's reapermix contest, to give you an idea of what I can do. I wouldn't call this a good mix, it's OK, probably better than what you got going in your song though: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AskciUu3eSuSgifX...jzp4H?e=oFhGEo

Last edited by eq1; 04-15-2024 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:17 AM   #12
RobertP

Oh wow!. Didn't expect your response. I would be more than happy for you to have a go at the mix.

Just checking: you want the stems without any fx? including my vocals?

Also, the drum track is a whole midi file from Addictive Drums dragged onto one track/item. Because they have been processed I never bother to put them on separate tracks, and never felt I had to add fx anyway, but could separate if you prefer.

I can remove the reverb from the guitars I think - both sounds are a concoction within GR6

I did say the tune needing some tinkering, meaning mixing really, as it was meant as an indication of what it might end up like, not the finished thing.

I can't get over what you said about my vocals. I just don't see it! lol
and my wife totally disagrees with you...nuff said
I am out and about for a few days so will get on it as soon as I can.

and thank you
Old 04-16-2024, 01:16 PM   #13
AudioBabble

I second what eq1 said, can't wait to hear the mix
Old 04-16-2024, 01:54 PM   #14
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Just checking: you want the stems without any fx? including my vocals?
Ideally, in general, you'd just send me raw audio files (like the .wav files) underlying each track. No FX. Vocal recording included. The vocal track will probably be easiest for you, as it's obviously an audio recording.

But, it looks like you have mostly midi/VST instruments. I don't have a lot of experience with that, in reaper, plus, I don't have the VST plug-ins for those instruments. So you'd have to render each of such tracks as audio files. There's various ways to do that, but it looks like the easiest, most straightforward way would be to:

-disable any FX except the VST plug-in
-right click on track/s you need to convert
-select render/freeze tracks > freeze track/s to mono or to stereo (if it's a stereo sound choose stereo, if mono choose mono)

The VST data/item will be replaced with an audio file, the file itself will be placed in your 'media' folder, FX - in this case the VST - will be removed/disabled.

You'll probably want to create a copy of your original project and do all this on the copy, keep it separate, so you can continue to work with your original midi data, etc...

Quote:
Also, the drum track is a whole midi file from Addictive Drums dragged onto one track/item. Because they have been processed I never bother to put them on separate tracks, and never felt I had to add fx anyway, but could separate if you prefer.
I would prefer each element of drum kit on separate track, but not if converting is a major hassle for you.

It's pretty important to a mix to have control over each drum element, and since I don't have the VST I can't achieve that on my end. I think in general one would normally put each drum element on a separate track, for greater control, even if it all comes from a VST and can be controlled within the VST GUI... For example, you could then add EQ to each drum sound, or different effects to each drum sound, or most importantly, probably, different levels of reverb...

Not sure the easiest way to achieve separation of drum sounds from your setup. You could re-route each drum sound from your VST to separate tracks and do the render/freeze thing, just like with the other vst instrument tracks.

Or, you could disable all drum sounds except one, and do a similar type of render for each sound, just having to do each separately, in different passes...

I've only done the re-routing thing a handful of times so I don't know the process well enough to explain it. I actually remember it as being a pain in the ass, and looking at one of my projects with such a setup, I still can't say I can easily summarize what to do. You basically setup the channels and such in the VST and w/ the track control options (like midi routing/channels and/or audio channels, or something like that) and setup receives on each of the new tracks...

Maybe you already know how to do this. Otherwise, if it's something you want to learn, I recall there's a Kenny Gioia video that explains it all well.** Or, you can just do the disable each drum sound thing and do separate passes... Or, just render/freeze the whole thing on one track and we'll have to live with the shortcomings/results...

** Here's a link to a kenny video that covers this: http://reaper.fm/videos.php#NO_vHtz_9_I

Quote:
I can remove the reverb from the guitars I think - both sounds are a concoction within GR6...
Definitely remove any reverb on anything. If there's distortion on your guitar, or any effects that you like as part of the guitar sound, though, you should leave that in...

Quote:
I can't get over what you said about my vocals. I just don't see it! lol and my wife totally disagrees with you...nuff said
I am out and about for a few days so will get on it as soon as I can.
Well, I like it. I mean, you're not gonna win any grammys, but to me the subject matter of the lyrics - your voice fits it perfectly. Kind of this classy, distinguished-yet-disgruntled guy, voicing perfectly reasonable ideas, over a very passable and even catchy, somewhat hip tune. I just thinks it's a great combination. Let it be what it is rather than try to make it, I don't know, a Top-of-the-Pops hit. I think you'd be hard pressed to get a 'real rapper' to make lyrics about a shitty healthcare system any more compelling than you already have...

Maybe someone else will listen and comment - Audiobabble? Audiobabble, who commented earlier, has made some good tunes and mixes, maybe he'll check it out and comment...

Anyway, I won't expect anything immediately. I have to install some insulation in the attic anyway (I was hoping to get away from that, though. I guess I'm stuck). So, just do what you feel comfortable doing, at your pace, and I'll keep an eye out for whatever you come up with. If it takes too long though I might get stuck doing something else that will have to be the priority.

Last edited by eq1; 04-16-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:55 PM   #15
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBabble View Post
I second what eq1 said, can't wait to hear the mix
Well there you go!
Old 04-16-2024, 06:56 PM   #16
AudioBabble

just to say, on the drum separation thing, if for any reason it's impossible to separate the drums, I've had good results with Steinberg Spectral Layers. It at least gives you 'kick', 'snare' and 'cymbals'.

(I've found it most effective as an extra set of layers on top of the original stereo drum mix)

Happy to run the drum track thru that and provide stems if needed.

or... I do also have Superior drummer VST, which could easily provide separate stems for every drum if I was provided with the MIDI, or even the reaper project file. But that would mean me having to choose appropriate drum kit sounds, which would feel like messing with things a bit, but I'm happy to do it if called upon.

Last edited by AudioBabble; 04-16-2024 at 07:02 PM.
AudioBabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:17 AM   #17
RecycledInnovation

Re: Separating drum sounds...

I am currently going through and rendering all the virtual instruments my album. I'm mostly doing it so that I am finalizing my takes for final mixing. It also will prevent any render issues later if the VST hasn't loaded properly while rendering (I currently prevent this issue by playing the song through the intro of every virtual instrument, then play through again to verify the instruments start properly). This includes separating my drum tracks out.

What I did is this: I created tracks for each part I wanted to separate (kick, snare, hi hat, cymbals, toms, etc.). Then I took my single drum track and made it a folder by putting each of the aforementioned tracks in it. I copied the big MIDI to each track, then deleted the MIDI on the folder track. I left the instrument VST on the folder track. Each of the tracks in the folder send their respective MIDI to the folder.

Depending on how your VST drum kit is set up, you may be able to right-click and drag across the piano in the piano roll to select what you don't want and hit Delete, or you may have to just right click on a single note to delete one at a time.

For example, my kick drum was on C2. So I could right-click on C#2 and drag up to select everything above it, then hit Delete, and same for B1 down. Very easy. But the hi hat notes were on F#2, G#2, and A#2, and if I used the toms at G2 and A2, I'd have to right-click on G2 then Delete, then A2 and delete. Holding Shift will let you select multiple notes as well, if you want to select it all then Delete.

Once I had the drums all separated into their own MIDI tracks, I would mute all inside the folder except the one I wanted to render. Then I right-clicked on the folder track, go to Render, and Rendered to Stereo. It mutes the track you rendered from, so unmute the folder, set up the next track in the folder, and Render again. I repeated the process until I had stems for each piece of the kit.

If you go the duplicate virtual instrument route (which isn't a big deal; I just decided to do it the above way yesterday and have no real reason for it), you can just duplicate your drum track until you have all that you need, rename, and then do the above separation. Then you can Render to Stereo directly from the track instead of the folder track, and don't have to unmute the folder every time.

Unfortunately I don't have screenshots. If any part of it was unclear, please let me know.

Last edited by RecycledInnovation; 04-18-2024 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Made first paragraph more clear
RecycledInnovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #18
eq1

^ This all sounds a lot more complicated than it has to be. One has the midi data and plug-in on one track, and all you 'really' need to do is route the audio output from each of the drum sounds to separate tracks. The midi data remains on the same track, the audio is simply routed to different tracks. The kenny video I linked to earlier even shows you how this is done automatically, all tracks (drum sounds) at one time.*

* Just watched that video, really simple, it's more or less this: right click on your drum VST plug-in and select "build multichannel routing for output of selected FX."

Last edited by eq1; 04-18-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:15 PM   #19
AudioBabble

^^ yup, this definitely -- I do that often with Superior Drummer.

Only problem would be if the particular VST doesn't have multichannel output.

If so, eq1's earlier suggestion of muting all-but-one drum sound and doing several renders would do the trick.

I can't think of any reason to separate the MIDI... after-all we're talking about drums here, so each MIDI note is already its own 'channel' to trigger a particular drum sound.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #20
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
...I've only done the re-routing thing a handful of times so I don't know the process well enough to explain it. I actually remember it as being a pain in the ass, and looking at one of my projects with such a setup, I still can't say I can easily summarize what to do...
fyi, I think part of the problem here is that I was looking at 'ReaSamplomatic' set up as a drum machine, playing various drum samples. That's probably different than your boilerplate drum VST setup.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:23 AM   #21
RecycledInnovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
^ This all sounds a lot more complicated than it has to be. One has the midi data and plug-in on one track, and all you 'really' need to do is route the audio output from each of the drum sounds to separate tracks. The midi data remains on the same track, the audio is simply routed to different tracks. The kenny video I linked to earlier even shows you how this is done automatically, all tracks (drum sounds) at one time.*

* Just watched that video, really simple, it's more or less this: right click on your drum VST plug-in and select "build multichannel routing for output of selected FX."
That's fair. I'd consider myself a novice at this point, so I'll definitely defer to those who know way better than I do.

By the way, RobertP, I listened and I agree with the others, I really enjoyed the vocals!