Old 12-28-2022, 04:40 PM   #121
Gass n Klang
Human being with feelings

So much value. Seriously, I‘m earning my money doing audio production/mixing. I look at reaper MANY houry every single day. Making it more eye pleasing would be a massive improvement. Your skins are so much better than the stock stuff. I‘d love to have the whole DAW having a style that doesn‘t remind me of windows 98.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:42 AM   #122
reznikdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
So much value. Seriously, I‘m earning my money doing audio production/mixing. I look at reaper MANY houry every single day. Making it more eye pleasing would be a massive improvement. Your skins are so much better than the stock stuff. I‘d love to have the whole DAW having a style that doesn‘t remind me of windows 98.
Thanks!
reznikdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:07 AM   #123
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznikdesign View Post
Thanks!
Don’t know if I said it before already, but your designs are among the best (if not the best) of all audio software I have seen. At least according to my personal taste, of course opinions differ.
I would love if the whole Reaper UI could follow exactly this aesthetic (beyond what’s possible by theming). Though even just a “ReaReznik” theme would be super amazing!
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:02 AM   #124
reznikdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Don’t know if I said it before already, but your designs are among the best (if not the best) of all audio software I have seen. At least according to my personal taste, of course opinions differ.
I would love if the whole Reaper UI could follow exactly this aesthetic (beyond what’s possible by theming). Though even just a “ReaReznik” theme would be super amazing!
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I never wanted to make a theme tho (well, maybe just for fun). Reaper's default theme is fine, it's all other parts where it has issues. I wish they extended the API (or whatever it is) for more deeper customization. Or just shamelessly copied another daws.
reznikdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:36 AM   #125
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznikdesign View Post
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I never wanted to make a theme tho (well, maybe just for fun). Reaper's default theme is fine, it's all other parts where it has issues. I wish they extended the API (or whatever it is) for more deeper customization. Or just shamelessly copied another daws.
Yeah that’s my thought too. Theming is a wonderful feature and there are many nice themes there which make large parts of Reaper look fine (including WT Default theme). But via theming the UI can be chandged only partially and the more refined a theme is, the more apparent the contrast is to the unrefined areas which can’t be modified. While the default theme is ok, I feel WT needs to hold himself back a little in an effort of his themes looking as good as possible while remaining somewhat consistent with UI overall to give a unified Reaper experience and not an “ah look, a fancy theme has been slapped onto the UI” feel (disclaimer: it’s just my theory based on other themes that WT provides. He may have a completely different thought process).

And btw “shamelessly copying other daws” is the last thing the Reaper devs would do, even if in some areas it would be totally ok. At the cost of reinventing the wheel, they appear to want to do everything their own way, and sometimes it results in unique and very useful features (obvious example: no track types).

But yeah, offering users/designers/programmers some toolkit to not only theme Reaper but build a custom GUI from the ground up would be groundbreaking.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:03 PM   #126
themixtape

May have missed the post about how to get these installed (forgive me, I'm not a coder)... how does one use these instead of the default plugin GUIs? Thanks!
Old 10-17-2023, 08:57 PM   #127
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
May have missed the post about how to get these installed (forgive me, I'm not a coder)... how does one use these instead of the default plugin GUIs? Thanks!
You can't. These are concept design ideas by one designer (OP - reznikdesign) on what Reaper (Reaplugs) should/could look like. Nothing official. Nor do we have any way to implement anything since Reaplugs aren't open source, unlike JSFX.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:56 AM   #128
themixtape

Damn. Ok, thx
Old 03-26-2024, 01:14 PM   #129
maxcomposer

Can we revive this thread?!

Reaper's GUI is functional, but this is quite frankly simple and beautiful.
maxcomposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:43 PM   #130
Fergler

Ok. Thinking out loud, but know how we can disable UI in a plugin window? What if we could add an additional layer to any plugin (*any*), which both disables the UI and replaces it with a GFX window rendered by JSFX / ReaIMGUI etc. The only native support part being the fluid implementation of the window where the FX usually goes, a menu addition to the FX search list, and maybe a couple API calls (for meters for example). Otherwise, the rest lies in the script designer. Then the community can make reskins of whatever they want, even non-stock plugins, and the UI is just a fancy parameter controller/follower).

Because let’s be honest, there’s so much more for Reaper devs to work on that clearly trumps this, but at the same time so many people want this option. So let’s meet somewhere that can be minimal work for Justin and a huge open door for the talent here.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:19 PM   #131
cool

Fergler, this must be in the FR! If make it possible to assign custom controls and size/position of windows, this will open up great opportunities for designers and convenience for users.
And if we get something similar for Containers, we will get great opportunities for creating complex processing with simple controls.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:58 PM   #132
bertrand fraysse

I've never seen this topic, but it would be nice to use those interface, and what have said fergler is pretty exciting too, I love to program dsp but it's always a pain for me to design UI, if there was a way to custom build our one ones, with a simple pool of nice looking ui elements, it would be great.
bertrand fraysse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:33 AM   #133
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Fergler, this must be in the FR! If make it possible to assign custom controls and size/position of windows, this will open up great opportunities for designers and convenience for users.
And if we get something similar for Containers, we will get great opportunities for creating complex processing with simple controls.
Yes!
I've long hoped for something in between the standard and Generic UI.
Live's device view is quite nice since it allows plugins to use standardized UIs which take up less space, give the parameters you want priority, while being very user-friendly.

In addition to letting scripters do whatever they want, I think a standardized minimal size would be great as it's not much further from there to having docked FX chains with all necessary controls for the whole chain accessible with containers acting as nestable "device racks"

https://www.ableton.com/en/live-manu...he-device-view
Old 03-27-2024, 05:35 AM   #134
Stevie

+1 from 2020
Old 03-27-2024, 08:10 AM   #135
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Ok. Thinking out loud, but know how we can disable UI in a plugin window? What if we could add an additional layer to any plugin (*any*), which both disables the UI and replaces it with a GFX window rendered by JSFX / ReaIMGUI etc. The only native support part being the fluid implementation of the window where the FX usually goes, a menu addition to the FX search list, and maybe a couple API calls (for meters for example). Otherwise, the rest lies in the script designer. Then the community can make reskins of whatever they want, even non-stock plugins, and the UI is just a fancy parameter controller/follower).

Because let’s be honest, there’s so much more for Reaper devs to work on that clearly trumps this, but at the same time so many people want this option. So let’s meet somewhere that can be minimal work for Justin and a huge open door for the talent here.

Damn! I don't know how feasible that is, but consider this a +1. Please make an FR and I'll be there to chime in.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:09 AM   #136
reapercurious

are there many Reaplugs that can't be reverse engineered and made into ReaJS plugins? because then they can be as pretty as you want them to be. Maybe ReaSamplomatic can't be done in ReaJS. Or is there some random NSA grade nonlinear Mojo in them that can't be reversed?

edit for the literalists: I don't mean decompiling the plugins, I mean intuitively remaking them in JS.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:00 PM   #137
KChristopher

Here again...
Reactivating this discussion...

Could someone responsible for the development of Reaper, or Justin himself, give us an opinion on the real reason for not implementing a UI in reaper's native plugins?
Year after year, version after version and no changes are wanted!
Enough conjecture: being lighter, more functional, etc... All of these are not a real reason.
Run a test, put out a beta version with new interfaces and another without an interface, even if one has 1Gb and the other a few Mb. See which users will use most!

But if they tell us that it really isn't possible, due to programming difficulties, and they don't even want to open it up for others to try, then we'll have to stop making these requests once and for all.

Reaper is now a respected daw, present in different studios around the world and definitely incredible at its launch and with its atypical functionalities, however, in general, today in 2024 it seems frozen in time. Honestly, version 7 was frustrating when it came to the interface.

Please, someone from Cockos can give a real opinion on this. Whatever it is!
Old 04-13-2024, 12:20 AM   #138
mschnell

I in fact do like the way the Reaper stock VSTs look.
Of course this is just a personal opinion. But different tastes also are just as personal.

So obviously a modification might be considered not mandatory.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 12:24 AM   #139
Valle

Hm … I think the “real problem” lies in this:
Quote:
Honestly, version 7 was frustrating when it came to the interface.
See, I didn’t think the GUI in v7 was frustrating at all. I bet “John” and “Jane” didn’t think that either. Perhaps, “Billy” and “Bob” did. But that’s how it goes: We all have, and always will have, different preferences when it comes to anything. In fact, I believe that v7 was better than previous versions. Especially the stuff that White Tie is working on. And v8 will be even better. Today’s REAPER is already so customizable (not just GUI) that we could spend the rest of our careers customizing and tweaking it till perfection. I’m not sure we will find the likeness in any other DAW.

Now, I can’t say that I’m familiar with the developer’s strategy behind developing REAPER. But it seems to me that fundamentals and functionality has higher priority than eye candy. If so, I really, really hope it continues that way. Because, if “the ultimate look” (which nobody will ever get anyway) had equal or higher priority – REAPER would still be on v3 struggling with bugs and crappy stock plugins, and I would still be sitting there cursing over the limitations in Samplitude (not that Samplitude necessarily sucked over all, I once thought it was the best DAW).

So, as far as I’m concerned (based on experience), the discussion and demanding of customizable “skins” is pointless. There will always be something missing by someone. And pleasing the eye candy-ism would cost so much time that needs to be spent on fundamentals and functionality instead.

But of course, that's only me.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:29 AM   #140
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChristopher View Post
Here again...
Reactivating this discussion...

Could someone responsible for the development of Reaper, or Justin himself, give us an opinion on the real reason for not implementing a UI in reaper's native plugins?
Year after year, version after version and no changes are wanted!
Enough conjecture: being lighter, more functional, etc... All of these are not a real reason.
Run a test, put out a beta version with new interfaces and another without an interface, even if one has 1Gb and the other a few Mb. See which users will use most!

But if they tell us that it really isn't possible, due to programming difficulties, and they don't even want to open it up for others to try, then we'll have to stop making these requests once and for all.

Reaper is now a respected daw, present in different studios around the world and definitely incredible at its launch and with its atypical functionalities, however, in general, today in 2024 it seems frozen in time. Honestly, version 7 was frustrating when it came to the interface.

Please, someone from Cockos can give a real opinion on this. Whatever it is!
Agree with you in full.

TUKAN proved it's not necessary to have GB or TB to have great/appealing graphics.

We're in 2024 and if Reaper is not 15MB but 30MB with better graphics: I would appreciate.
Who wants to continue to use a VIC-20 is another story. He/She is not working. He/She is "basementing".

The same for the theme. Far away to be real ergonomic and great ... to me it seems something made by who's great to code but doesn't use the DAW to work with.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 03:18 AM   #141
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
TUKAN proved it's not necessary to have GB or TB to have great/appealing graphics.

We're in 2024 and if Reaper is not 15MB but 30MB with better graphics: I would appreciate.
Who wants to continue to use a VIC-20 is another story. He/She is not working. He/She is "basementing".

The same for the theme. Far away to be real ergonomic and great ... to me it seems something made by who's great to code but doesn't use the DAW to work with.
"TUKAN proved ..."

Who ever actually said you needed "GB or TB" for that?

And, we've actually seen and read about the developers using REAPER (at least I have), so I think your assumption seems a little bit off there.

The VIC-20 analogy was hilarious! How many productions did you release on that little fellow?
Old 04-15-2024, 07:07 AM   #142
KChristopher

Man, I don't know if it's a question of liking or not liking the interface anymore.

The point is that it has been proven that a well-designed UI speeds up and improves the productivity of any software. No wonder Microsoft and Apple spend thousands of dollars on research and work in this direction.
I talk about something broader for REAPER.

Get out of this "functionality" mentality that isn't even that functional!

Note that REAPER is underutilized software. There are thousands of incredible functions, better than 90% of DAWs but they are hidden because there are no buttons and menus for that, it depends on the user to build and search.
The plugins have incredible quality, but for the love of God, each JS plugin is a penance to read and adjust your tiny faders in an era of UHD monitors!
And once again, I would really like an official opinion from the developers, why not change the interface of the plugins, or the menus... Everything else is changing in REAPER interface, it's not even visually compatible anymore!

And indeed, if the look wasn't important, REAPER should still have the look of the first version, am I wrong?

I don't know if you can understand my point. But it's not a destructive criticism, far be it from me, I've been using REAPER for years and I love it! But I feel like it was time for it to go to another level, to become an inspiring, easier, more efficient work environment... And for that it just needs a little care in some points, because in others it is already without a doubt a Incredible DAW!
Old 04-15-2024, 02:22 PM   #143
mschnell

Quote:
M plugin is a penance to read and adjust your tiny faders in an era of UHD monitors
AHH, finally a word of yours that is not just personal preference but in fact a possible limitation.

Of course being able to zoom (or even "theme") the view to be better adopted to tiny pixel monitor might be a decent plus.

Last edited by mschnell; 04-16-2024 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:18 PM   #144
Subz

This thread is evident that functionality wins against visual workflow for this community!

And I have managed to replace almost all my fav functions from many different DAWS, but doubt there is a DAW out there that can replace Reaper!

But to say updating the GUI to look less like Vegas Audio will not benefit the user is madness!

I believe the parts that still look like Win2000 (Vegas Audio days) will eventually get overhauled (It's obviously not that simple to do, or it would have been done already)

I personally (try to) avoid the stock plugins for no reason other than the look and workflow on my 4k monitor and me being a bit blind (but too stubborn to have my 4k screen show a 1080 resolution)

I see nothing to argue about here! A smoother looking Reaper with a Smoother 'feeling' workflow would be a plus for everyone

That's my 2 pence, spend it how you please!

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:20 PM   #145
Subz

& to the OP, your GUI work in the mock-ups look amazing!! KUDOS

Subs
Old 04-15-2024, 04:21 PM   #146
tonalstates

Seeing how muse score and audacity is upping their UI and I actually had a great experience with the newer version of muse score in comparison to the old one I see and feel the level up. Blender also did this and is always polishing the UI more and more (now on smaller things) even though its also a light download and free. I'd also wish for REAPER to take at least a couple of builds to focus on these requests, yeah it works and it's fast, yeah I can live with it, but I've used FL and ableton among a ton of other post production apps and can really appreciate the design choices in comparison to the "meh, it works" reaper design mindset.

I also appreciate the theming capabilities and new coming additions in this software, but those other fundamental elements (windows eg) can use some love... at least more open to be manipulated even though I see how that can be tough considering how Reaper draws stuff. so yeah... someday?
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:57 PM   #147
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz
This thread is evident that functionality wins against visual workflow for this community!
Nah, this thread shows that the people who thinks that functionality wins over visual workflow are more vocal, and that a lot of the people who thinks that having a helpful GUI (in plugins and other areas) is something to be considered have lost hope that it will ever happen.

All of @KChristopher points are valid imo, and i agree with every single word.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:48 PM   #148
shaggy1

its beyond me how ungrateful some user are imagine you get to used a software for 60 dollar full of feature some of witch no other daw have update and fix on a daily basis no other daw do things like that and some people put pressure on the development team to make the plugins look pretty you get a whole daw to used for 60 last time i check that less that the price of a plugin on most website i would like the plugin to look better understand you cant get everting you want. pro tools price 600 to this daw is way better wave have sale buy some 3 party plugins to quench your thirst for pretty and development team work on new feature like stems and other the way dont get left behind
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:00 PM   #149
Valle

My wild guess is that the developers already have a plan: Finnish the stuff that will make REAPER surpass all competitors.

After that, deal with the challenge to please 100% of the user base with the Great Ultimate GUI. Which should't take more than, say, forever ...
Old 04-15-2024, 10:59 PM   #150
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post
Nah, this thread shows that the people who thinks that functionality wins over visual workflow are more vocal, and that a lot of the people who thinks that having a helpful GUI (in plugins and other areas) is something to be considered have lost hope that it will ever happen.
Very much this! It's wild how differently people view their DAW's and what's usable and what's not, what helps workflows and what doesn't.

I only anymore wish that we could skin the stock plugins too. Not sure if that's actually possible without making them open source though. I've given up on anything else GUI-wise on Reaper - it's most likely going to stay as is for as long as I'm going to make music so it's better to just accept defeat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
its beyond me how ungrateful some user are imagine you get to used a software for 60 dollar full of feature some of witch no other daw have update and fix on a daily basis no other daw do things like that and some people put pressure on the development team to make the plugins look pretty you get a whole daw to used for 60 last time i check that less that the price of a plugin on most website i would like the plugin to look better understand you cant get everting you want. pro tools price 600 to this daw is way better wave have sale buy some 3 party plugins to quench your thirst for pretty and development team work on new feature like stems and other the way dont get left behind
And no, it's not ungrateful. Reaper is fantastic - the best there is out there in DAWLAND. But it could be better. These aren't demands - just wishes, whispered in the wind...
Old 04-16-2024, 02:55 AM   #151
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post

As correct as all your points are, you're still missing the actual point!

Even at the increased price (that you can just offset on your tax returns) it is such a stupidly good deal!

Users that voice floors and bugs & dislikes are not Ungrateful!!! (although with language and personality barriers it can often read that way)

The ungrateful ones don't bother to comment because they don't care!

I honestly see nothing productive in posts like this! (or my reply to it) It helps who exactly? Not the developers who have to skim through these type of comments to see what the actual noise is about! Not the users that want to improve Reaper and spend good time and effort to make a helpful thread, and it's not helping you either!

Subz
Old 04-16-2024, 02:59 AM   #152
Touristkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
And no, it's not ungrateful. Reaper is fantastic - the best there is out there in DAWLAND. But it could be better. These aren't demands - just wishes, whispered in the wind...
Well said and exactly how I feel about it.

I must say that I am using the stock plugins more and more. Simply...because they are so functional and simply work well. But wouldn't mind if they were restyled like the OP posted (I whisper softly in the wind...hahaha).
In terms of general appearance of Reaper.......I have Bitwig, Live, Waveform Pro, Cubase, Fl, Cakewalk sonar (the new one)....(just out of interest and all legal btw)... and it took some time to make it like it is, but Reaper is the only Daw i really feel "home". It looks great and it's "MINE", with everything where I want it.
Touristkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:01 PM   #153
KChristopher

Again, don't get me wrong... I love REAPER! But composing, playing, mixing, mastering are difficult processes, they require a lot of study, a lot of work, anything that can make this work easier is very welcome!

And I maintain my question... Why?

Last edited by KChristopher; 04-16-2024 at 07:06 PM.
KChristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:51 PM   #154
Valle

Quote:
And I maintain my question... Why?
Let me ask you a question, if you don't mind:

Say that the devs/White Tie came up with a new in-house design for the Rea*-stuff – something like the ones in your posted picture;

Do you think this discussion would end there?
Old 04-16-2024, 10:38 PM   #155
Touristkiller

Reaper "stock" plugins...... 😜
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tukan-studios-8129131.jpg (210.5 KB, 73 views)
Touristkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:28 PM   #156
mschnell

Quote:
Reaper seems the most clear, functional and least distracting ...
I don't see any advantage in mimicking a legacy hardware look.
Handling rotary knobs by the mouse to me feels completely "unnatural" and conter-intuitive and their look hard to read .
Avid looks rather appropriate as well.
(As said "theming" - of course including zoom - for plugins might be a bonus for those that e.g like a "dark" look and or have tiny pixel screens.)

Last edited by mschnell; 04-16-2024 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:07 AM   #157
axel_ef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Reaper seems the most clear, functional and least distracting ...
Handling rotary knobs by the mouse to me feels completely "unnatural" and conter-intuitive and their look hard to read .
I agree with that.
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:28 AM   #158
MartinTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The mixer and layout of Reaper, and every other DAW, is based on analog consoles and hardware, tape machines, early day samplers etc., so where to draw the line..? You don't think rotary knobs are natural, but what about faders, sliders, VU-meters with green-yellow-red color, red mute-button and yellow solo-button? I get your point, and I especially dislike basic effects with fancy hi-res GUIs (images of old analog gear). But so much is based on analog / legacy hardware stuff, and it get's a bit silly to avoid every trace for the sake of what's natural and not. I think as long as there is a large degree of neutrality and flexibility, one shouldn't be too concerned with this.
MartinTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:08 AM   #159
Pink Wool

I think it's always funny to see the same argument when it's about plugins (looks don't matter, it's easier to read, why emulate knobs etc.) AND THEN have the exact opposite argument happen when you start talking about flat UI's and how they are less distracting (WHAT - we need 3D to know what to press, in flat design everything looks the same, knobs are the only way to go etc.)! It's such a joyful moment!

All this to say, this topic too might be nuanced and people may enjoy different things. Hard to grasp, I know!

Edit: This thing (Reaper shouldn't change a thing, everything is fine as is) happens even in FR's, for crying out loud! What's the gain?

Last edited by Pink Wool; 04-17-2024 at 03:22 AM.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:56 AM   #160
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
What's the gain?
If somebody claims his personal view of things is something Reaper needs to implement, claiming this would be a great plus for the product and all users, he may be not aware that the development resources might (in the view of other users) be better concentrated on different targets, leaving already (decently) workable stuff as it is.
Hence these discussions do make sense.