Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-09-2024, 04:24 AM   #1
itm
Human being with feelings

Default Problems using MX Master 3 Mouse and MX Keys Keyboard with Reaper

I've started getting very strange behaviour using this mouse/keyboard combination in Reaper (v7.14 and previous point releases)on Windows 11). It's fine when I first open Reaper, but after a while the mouse and keyboard do odd things.
Examples are:
- Inability to arm a track for recording by clicking on the button - the click does nothing
- Problems entering the letter a in the track title. Hitting the "a" key on the keyboard has no effect. It works fine elsewhere
- Clicking on the timeline always behaves as though I am holding down the Shift key. So for example if I click to the left of the currently selected area it does not move the cursor to that position, it extends the selection to that position.
If I close and re-open Reaper everything is fine again - but only for a few minutes and then the behaviour will repeat itself.

Has anyone else had problems like this?
itm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:35 AM   #2
itm

It seems that the keyboard problem isn't specific to Logitech hardware - I plugged in an Advent USB keyboard and get the same problems :0(
Old 04-09-2024, 09:45 AM   #3
ScuzzyEye

What are the keyboards plugged into? A USB hub, or directly to the computer? Using the same port for both?

Does the problem only appear in Reaper? What happens if you open something like Notepad while you're experiencing the problem and type?

I've seen a few things somewhat similar to this with damaged USB cables, but not exactly. And that affects every program, not just one. So trying to narrow down what's in common with the issue. If it's Reaper, or hardware.
ScuzzyEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
itm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuzzyEye View Post
What are the keyboards plugged into? A USB hub, or directly to the computer? Using the same port for both?

Does the problem only appear in Reaper? What happens if you open something like Notepad while you're experiencing the problem and type?

I've seen a few things somewhat similar to this with damaged USB cables, but not exactly. And that affects every program, not just one. So trying to narrow down what's in common with the issue. If it's Reaper, or hardware.
The Logitech keyboard and mouse are connected to a bluetooth USB receiver, plugged directly into a USB port on the front of the computer. The 2nd keyboard that I tried was plugged into a different USB port on the front of the computer. Both had the same problem.

Other apps, including Notepad, behave perfectly normally.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:55 AM   #5
ScuzzyEye

So it's almost surely a Reaper problem. In that case it feels like something that's listening for keystrokes. Have you added/updated any scripts recently? Using anything complicated that has lots of actions bound to keys?

Try a clean, portable install, and see if behaves better?
Old 04-09-2024, 10:25 AM   #6
itm

Quote:
So it's almost surely a Reaper problem. In that case it feels like something that's listening for keystrokes. Have you added/updated any scripts recently? Using anything complicated that has lots of actions bound to keys?

Try a clean, portable install, and see if behaves better?
I don't recall adding any scripts recently.

I tried a quick portable Reaper install but it is not recognising all of the licences that I have for various VST's and I don't want to risk "breaking" my existing setup by re-registering them.

Is there any way that I can check for potentially problematic scripts/plugins that are being activated in Reaper and perhaps causing this problem?
Old 04-09-2024, 10:42 AM   #7
ScuzzyEye

Odd, I've never seen plug-ins that say they're unlicensed when run in a different DAW. I have almost 1600 installed (yes, I know I have a problem), and it's a pain to run a portable install because it takes a half hour to scan them all for the first time, but they'll all work once that's complete. Unfortunately, a clean install is the best way to quickly eliminate a configuration or user installed extension issue.

Anyway, plug-ins also shouldn't be an issue if they're not on screen. They can only get keystrokes when they have an open window. So in the clean install, you shouldn't even need to open a plug-in. Unless you're normally working with some on screen. Then I would look at each of those as a possible source of the problem.

Otherwise, I would concentrate on scripts. Have you installed anything custom into Reaper at all?
Old 04-09-2024, 01:44 PM   #8
itm

Quote:
Odd, I've never seen plug-ins that say they're unlicensed when run in a different DAW. I have almost 1600 installed (yes, I know I have a problem), and it's a pain to run a portable install because it takes a half hour to scan them all for the first time, but they'll all work once that's complete. Unfortunately, a clean install is the best way to quickly eliminate a configuration or user installed extension issue.

Anyway, plug-ins also shouldn't be an issue if they're not on screen. They can only get keystrokes when they have an open window. So in the clean install, you shouldn't even need to open a plug-in. Unless you're normally working with some on screen. Then I would look at each of those as a possible source of the problem.

Otherwise, I would concentrate on scripts. Have you installed anything custom into Reaper at all?
I've installed quote a few plug-ins and a few scripts, but I don't keep track of them so it's really difficult to poinpoint which one(s) might be causing a problem. Is there any way of listing scripts/plug-ins which are not part of the stock Reaper install?
Old 04-10-2024, 04:55 AM   #9
ScuzzyEye

I don't know of an easy way. But I've also not really tried.

You could go into the user profile directory, and sort the files by modification time. The things included with Reaper get installed on first run, and should have older dates.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?
Old 04-17-2024, 02:57 AM   #10
itm

So I've trawled through my config folder and I can't find anything that interferes with mouse behaviour.
I'm trying to work out exactly how the mouse behaviour is being modified - i.e. how would I reproduce this behaviour in "normal" circumstances when the mouse is behaving as it should. For example, is this how the mouse behaves when you hold Control/Shift while navigating?

I've uploaded a video here to illustrate the problem:
https://vimeo.com/935789384?share=copy

You can see that as the mouse moves across the timeline the cursor changes to a pencil icon when it is not over a media item, and acquires a "+" icon when it is over a media item. Also, when I click on the button to arm a track nothing happens.

????

EDIT: I've just worked out that this behaviour is consistent with how the mouse behaves if you hold down the Ctrl key (in Windows). What I now need to work out is what is causing the mouse to suddenly start behaving as if the Ctrl key is being held down. And how to undo it!
Old 04-17-2024, 08:12 AM   #11
TusterBuster

Default Desktop or laptop?

I ask because I had a wierd problem on my laptop where the mouse curser would move by itself and click/select things.... turned out to be a swollen bettery pushing on the underside of the trackpad. I replaced the battery and all was well again.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:17 AM   #12
itm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusterBuster View Post
I ask because I had a wierd problem on my laptop where the mouse curser would move by itself and click/select things.... turned out to be a swollen bettery pushing on the underside of the trackpad. I replaced the battery and all was well again.
It's a desktop
Old 04-17-2024, 08:29 AM   #13
ScuzzyEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm View Post
EDIT: I've just worked out that this behaviour is consistent with how the mouse behaves if you hold down the Ctrl key (in Windows). What I now need to work out is what is causing the mouse to suddenly start behaving as if the Ctrl key is being held down. And how to undo it!
And this is still only in Reaper? Windows doesn't really do much obviously different when moving the mouse while control is held, but in that state you can multi-select. If you have icons on your desktop you might try clicking them one at a time. If the control key is stuck you'll select more than one of them together, but otherwise the selected item will simply move to the most recent clicked.

If it is really just in Reaper, that would mean something is setting the state of the control key to pressed. I don't know if that's possible in Reaper scripting. I know the Logitech software has customization options. I don't have their app installed on this computer, so I can't look right now. But there are per program options, that's based on the application path. It would be possible to add a customization for C:\Program Files\...\reaper.exe and not have them applied to a portable install. Is there an option to make the control key a toggle button (like caps lock), rather momentary?

I don't know, this is so odd. but at least you're narrowing it down. Might be something that rings a bell for someone.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:02 AM   #14
itm

Quote:
And this is still only in Reaper? Windows doesn't really do much obviously different when moving the mouse while control is held, but in that state you can multi-select. If you have icons on your desktop you might try clicking them one at a time. If the control key is stuck you'll select more than one of them together, but otherwise the selected item will simply move to the most recent clicked.

If it is really just in Reaper, that would mean something is setting the state of the control key to pressed. I don't know if that's possible in Reaper scripting. I know the Logitech software has customization options. I don't have their app installed on this computer, so I can't look right now. But there are per program options, that's based on the application path. It would be possible to add a customization for C:\Program Files\...\reaper.exe and not have them applied to a portable install. Is there an option to make the control key a toggle button (like caps lock), rather momentary?

I don't know, this is so odd. but at least you're narrowing it down. Might be something that rings a bell for someone.
Yes it's just happened again, so I switched to an MS Excel window to see if the behaviour was the same - it wasn't. So for example if I clicked into successive cells in a worksheet they did not multi-select. I needed to press Ctrl when clicking to multi-select. I then switched back to the Reaper Window and it continued to behave as if I was holding down the Ctrl key.

If I then close Reaper and re-open it the problem goes away
???

Last edited by itm; 04-17-2024 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:28 AM   #15
itm

So I've discovered some behaviour which might help to explain what's going on, but I'm not sure what to do about it....

I use a Korg Microkey keyboard. I've noticed that sometimes when I hit C5 or D5, with a media item selected, it can trigged some of the umwanted behaviour - e.g. a "+" sign appears just below the cursor to the right, and/or the track automation mode changes (to "Read", usually). Sometimes if I press C5 several times I can get the cursor to revert to normal (but the Track Automation mode stays set to "Read").

So I figured that I could fix this by not allowing the Korg keyboard to send MIDI control messages....but then I went into MIDI Device Preferences and "Enable Input for Control Messages" was already disabled.

It seems that my MIDI keyboard is triggering actions in Reaper but I don't know how, or how to prevent it.

Any ideas??
Old 05-01-2024, 09:39 AM   #16
itm

Turns out it was a problem with my Control Surface settings....
I went to Preferences->Control/OSC/Web. There was a Mackie Control set up which had my MIDI keyboard as an input. I have no idea why, or how it happened (I don't ever remember configuring a Mackie Control surface).