Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-10-2023, 09:49 PM   #641
Mr. Data
Human being with feelings

Concerning 'Leejul', I don't know anything about.
It was your post where 'Leejul' as the main French translator was mentioned IIRC. https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=626

Concerning LangPackEdit: As I checked it on (dreadful) Win10 last time it showed black text on white bg.

The issue with the Undo history is as follows:
the text that describes what was undone at a certain state is limited to a fixed amount of characters (dunno right now how many chars are allowed). IF the last letter that is allowed incidentally is a special character like Ŕ, Ú. Í, Ř, Ű, š or others, they are changed to something like ├╝, ├Ą or ├Â... And if this is the case, it's also the case that the same characters, if they appear in the same undo string prior to the last character before truncation are changed to the same erroneous (2) characters as well. But since such a case happens more or less randomly, it's hard to reconstruct it. It must be observed and if it happens, we can create a snapshot. This error btw. doesn't happen when the right border of the Undo text column is shifted left (so the date and time is visible) which results in a truncated text with ... at the end. It happens only if the maximum allowed characters are reached but the Undo text would exceed this.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 04-10-2023 at 09:56 PM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:26 AM   #642
tohubohu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post

There is another aspect, why I'm kinda wary about the "not-in-template" function, because it is not only "not-in-template", but also "possibly obsolete" which I have experienced more than once.
It might have changed by now, but I remember - I think it was the 'Theme development/tweaker' dialog - all those strings I could translate and the translation worked, although none of the strings were in the template at that time and they were marked "not in template, possibly obsolete". So, when using the filter 'not in template' and clicking 'delete' would destroy your hard word, not to mention that you'd probably wonder at a later point, where the work you did earlier has gone, just because you didn't remember right at that moment, when clicking the 'Delete' button.

Maybe you'd have a look at an earlier post of mine.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=608

IIRC we can translate REAPER since 2011 now and I have been in this translation thing since then and I have gone through all this before. I might not do it the most efficient way time-wise, but I prefer to stay on the safe side, which in the end gives the best possible result. What I'm missing though is participation of those who use the langpack, 'cos the translation is far away from being perfect. I bit (more) of feedback, concerning errors, typos and so on would be nice.
-Data
hi
thks.
Could you explain this "possibly obsolete" issue more clearly, please? we would like to understand it so as not to have any unpleasant surprises.
(Leejul is the main French translator).
For the undo history bug, I will try to reproduce it. THANKS
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:03 PM   #643
Mr. Data

Hi Tohubohu,

it's like I wrote in the posting you quoted.

I think it was the Theme development/tweaker dialog. It might have even been at the time as not every new REAPER version got a new langpack template alongside, so translators used a tool called string_calculator (which btw. is to me still indispensable in some situations). We had to search for strings that were not translated, checking and looking through dialogs and menus. So when I found such a string I pasted it into the string_calculator to get the 16 digit alpha-numeric hashcode that precedes every string in the langpack file and then insert it into the langpack.

So at some point I tried to translate the mentioned theme tweaker and it worked. IIRC I could translate all the strings (more than 200), but they were not in the template even in later versions of it. So what happened was that these translation were marked as "not in template, possibly obsolete". If you now rely just only on this, you could easily destroy a lot of work or laboriously have to restore what you did before. So "not in template, possibly obsolete" isn't necessarily obsolete and indicates to me to be careful and NOT to remove the following lines in the first place just because it's so simple to do. Remove such blocks marked 'obsolete' only if you're really sure they are.

Even nowadays I sometimes discover some terms that once were e.g. in the [common] block, but now are marked "not in template, possibly obsolete (section: common)" and show up in english, but when removing the semicolon of that line, the translation works.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 04-12-2023 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #644
tohubohu

hello Leejul did not understand what you are talking about.
I think I understand a little bit, but I'm not sure.
I think the problem you are talking about no longer exists.
Today, the software is fully translatable. There are the strings for all the software.
but you decide.
you don't have to use LangpackEdit.
In any case, this software will, in my opinion, allow the langpacks to survive in the long term. Because the day when others will have to continue updating our langpacks, it will not be easy to motivate unmotivated people. And I think LangPackEdit will allow people with little motivation to continue updates because it takes very little time.
Old 04-13-2023, 04:24 AM   #645
Mr. Data

Yes, you might be right.

I'm in no way against LangPackEdit. All I was trying to say was, that everybody has to do it his/her way and I already mentioned that LangPackEdit in many ways can speed things up. And I wouldn't dare to put it down in any way. Why should I? It's a good tool and I'm glad that you inspired Justin to write such a tool. I even wouldn't resist to use it if it fulfils my needs. Again: Why should I? Would be kind of dumb, I reckon.

I've gained a lot of experience since I more than 10 years ago started to translate REAPER, using Notepad++, which lets me translate 10ths, sometimes 100s of lines at once, merge_Langpacks, string-calculator... and it might appear to you that I'm left with blinkers on, but I'm not.

One thing you wrote isn't correct by all means:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohubohu View Post
I think the problem you are talking about no longer exists.
Today, the software is fully translatable. There are the strings for all the software.
This isn't true at all.

Yes, nearly all the strings might be there, but the question is: do they all work?
Just one example:

Take a look at the Metadata dialog.
The string "CD image" (that you'll see if you set the scheme dropdown to 'CUE') e.g. isn't present in the (v6.78)-template at all and using the string calculator for that string to get the alpha-numeric hashcode, you'll be out of luck (at least at the moment). You'd of course get the code, but it won't work. On the other hand, all strings that can be displayed in the 'Format' column of the Metadata dialog exist in the template, but translation won't (presently) work either for none of them.

There are some other issues I will address in the near future.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 04-13-2023 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:02 AM   #646
Edison

There was a period when some texts described in the column, Format in Metadata and added to the [render] Section worked when translating them. But then no more, I tested them a few times. For example: 753E724DE9F86650=Automatic from CHAP= marker/region

I think the @Devs must have had a reason for that. So I decided to wait for them to be enabled to the ReaperLangPack file.
I could be wrong, but I remember that some of these texts at the time were not part of the archive.

Last edited by Edison; 04-13-2023 at 05:42 AM.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:08 AM   #647
tohubohu

Quote:
One thing you wrote isn't correct by all means:
This isn't true at all.
Yes, nearly all the strings might be there, but the question is: do they all work?
Just one example:
Take a look at the Metadata dialog.
The string "CD image" (that you'll see if you set the scheme dropdown to 'CUE') e.g. isn't present in the (v6.78)-template at all and using the string calculator for that string to get the alpha-numeric hashcode, you'll be out of luck (at least at the moment). You'd of course get the code, but it won't work. On the other hand, all strings that can be displayed in the 'Format' column of the Metadata dialog exist in the template, but translation won't (presently) work either for none of them.
-Data
We never use the string calculator to translate strings. We only translate existing template strings. Sometimes it happened that some strings (present in the template) remain in English in reaper although we have translated it (especially in the item properties window). I made bug reports. Justin fixed them.
There were also several places that were still in English on reaper with no lines on the template. I asked Justin to add the lines to the template (for example the custom menu and toolbars menu). He did it.
I may still not understand what you told me but as we do, for the moment I have not seen a problem. So what you're telling me worries me.
Where is the metadata dialog please?
Old 04-13-2023, 07:33 AM   #648
Edison

Hi tohubohu,

If I understand. You can access it via menu File=> Project Render Metadata or via shortcut Ctrl+Alt+R=> enable the Metadata checkbox and left click on the Metadata button...
Old 04-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #649
tohubohu

Quote:
On the other hand, all strings that can be displayed in the 'Format' column of the Metadata dialog exist in the template, but translation won't (presently) work either for none of them.
bug confirmed
I made a bug report here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=278224

Quote:
I'm interested, I've already had about thirty fixed by Justin since last summer.
Can you tell me your findings of the bug please.
have you already checked here all the ones?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....96#post2624796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
Hi tohubohu,
If I understand. You can access it via menu File=> Project Render Metadata or via shortcut Ctrl+Alt+R=> enable the Metadata checkbox and left click on the Metadata button...
thanks edison

EDIT : for CD image, it's practically the same in French. I don't do the bug report for the moment.

EDIT 2
Quote:
The issue with the Undo history is as follows...
I haven't been able to reproduce the bug so far.

Last edited by tohubohu; 04-13-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:56 PM   #650
tohubohu

Quote:
Hi @tohubohu,

Many of the texts displayed in ID are the same as in Description that can be translated and are found in Section [render]. See pic.

IMHO, I don't think we need to worry about the translation to ID yet.
I don't know this software window.
You can comment in my bug report if you think what you say is relevant.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:31 AM   #651
Edison

Default Video window

@Justin

Could you please help us with the code for this string so we can translate it? See pic.

Kind regards,
Attached Images
File Type: png Video window.png (22.3 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Edison; 04-14-2023 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:29 AM   #652
tohubohu

Quote:
Could you please help us with the code for this string so we can translate it? See pic.
(maybe by adding it directly in the template?)
Old 04-18-2023, 06:49 PM   #653
nktch

Hi, Mr.Data

The encoding problem in version 6.78
The four lines of the drop-down list in the menu dialog have unreadable symbols in Russian:

In Russian menu:
(Действия -> Показать список действий -> Элемент: автообрезка/разделение элементов (удаление тишины)... -> Автообрезка/разделение элементов
Section:
[silence]
11678656B010B057=Разделить и удалить участки тишины
1AFBF3EBEDB42C48=Разделить и сохранить участки тишины
1046C24D832DEED1=Разделить только перед сигналом
2DA3F8F9CD41728F=Разделить только перед тишиной

In English menu:
Actions -> Show action list... -> Item: Auto trim/split items (remove silence)... -> Auto trim/split items
Section:
[silence]
11678656B010B057=Split and remove silent areas
1AFBF3EBEDB42C48=Split and keep silent areas
1046C24D832DEED1=Split only before non-silence
2DA3F8F9CD41728F=Split only before silence

Please, if you don't mind, report this problem to the devs.

Best Regards,
Nikitich
Attached Images
File Type: png Crop screenshot.png (90.5 KB, 132 views)
nktch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:38 PM   #654
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktch View Post
Hi, Mr.Data

The encoding problem in version 6.78
The four lines of the drop-down list in the menu dialog have unreadable symbols in Russian:

In Russian menu:
(Действия -> Показать список действий -> Элемент: автообрезка/разделение элементов (удаление тишины)... -> Автообрезка/разделение элементов
Section:
[silence]
11678656B010B057=Разделить и удалить участки тишины
1AFBF3EBEDB42C48=Разделить и сохранить участки тишины
1046C24D832DEED1=Разделить только перед сигналом
2DA3F8F9CD41728F=Разделить только перед тишиной

In English menu:
Actions -> Show action list... -> Item: Auto trim/split items (remove silence)... -> Auto trim/split items
Section:
[silence]
11678656B010B057=Split and remove silent areas
1AFBF3EBEDB42C48=Split and keep silent areas
1046C24D832DEED1=Split only before non-silence
2DA3F8F9CD41728F=Split only before silence

Please, if you don't mind, report this problem to the devs.

Best Regards,
Nikitich

Hi @nktch,
Thanks for sharing! For my Language, same problem.

Last edited by Edison; 04-26-2023 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:55 AM   #655
Mr. Data

Quote:
I'm interested, I've already had about thirty fixed by Justin since last summer.
Can you tell me your findings of the bug please.
have you already checked here all the ones?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....96#post2624796
Hi Tohubohu,
was off the last few days.

Concerning issue 5 (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=1):
In German this string isn't as long as in French, so no problem here.

Concerning issue 12 (https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...19&postcount=1)
See my post in the thread.

-Data
Old 04-20-2023, 01:38 PM   #656
tohubohu

Quote:
-Data
Thanks but i was talking about that
Old 04-20-2023, 02:54 PM   #657
Mr. Data

Oh, I see!

As I wrote, I'll get to it later.
Some of the issues exist a long time and still do. I have to do a bit of collecting them, but I haven't always the time to do that.

Also looking back into this very thread, I noticed that most issues have been discussed in one or the other way before.

@Nikitich, good to see you back here!

The issues with none-readable text, especially in dropdown menues come up every now and then. They seemingly can only be killed case by case and only if one of the translators has problems with them and post them as you did here. Since you use Cyrillic script, your translations might be totally unreadable in certain circumstances, I reckon.
We can only beg, pray and hope for help, I'm afraid.

-Data
Old 04-20-2023, 03:08 PM   #658
Mr. Data

Quote:
There was a period when some texts described in the column, Format in Metadata and added to the [render] Section worked when translating them. But then no more, I tested them a few times. For example: 753E724DE9F86650=Automatic from CHAP= marker/region
Hi Edison,

When I tried to check the translations of the Format column I never was successful. Did you, by any chance, also take the pain to also translate dev and rc versions?

-Data
Old 04-22-2023, 03:11 PM   #659
tohubohu

hi justin,

action list,

Set default mouse modifier action for "Razor edit area left drag" to "Move areas on one axis only ignoring envelpe type and snap"
Old 04-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #660
Edison

Quote:
Hi Edison,

When I tried to check the translations of the Format column I never was successful. Did you, by any chance, also take the pain to also translate dev and rc versions?

-Data

Hi Mr. Data,

Yes and they worked, but suddenly they didn't work anymore. I think the Devs left them disabled in the REAPER Installer file, perhaps for reasons only they know. Let's wait. Sometimes I test some because the strings are present in the 3 versions: dev, rc and Official.

Last edited by Edison; 04-26-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:42 AM   #661
tohubohu

Default bugs to fix

bugs to fix

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=278801
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=278803
Old 05-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #662
tohubohu

hi justin,

Set default mouse modifier action for "Arrange view middle drag" to "Set edit cursor and orizontal zoom"
Old 05-18-2023, 02:53 AM   #663
Edison

Hello @-Data,

Did you see Post #654's message?

Best regards,
Old 05-18-2023, 03:03 AM   #664
tohubohu

@edison
for information, no problem in French on my side
Old 05-18-2023, 03:08 AM   #665
tohubohu

Default BUGS to FIX

Action list filter

Do you have the same problems in your language please?

Old 05-18-2023, 05:29 AM   #666
Edison

Quote:
@edison
for information, no problem in French on my side
So, the window doesn't display the strange characters? See pic.

Best regards,

Last edited by Edison; 10-05-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:31 AM   #667
Edison

Quote:
Action list filter

Do you have the same problems in your language please?

No, I don't have the same problems you reported.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:08 AM   #668
tohubohu

Quote:
Really?
it's weird. why would it only do this in French?
Old 05-18-2023, 07:09 AM   #669
tohubohu

Quote:
So, the window doesn't display the strange characters?
it's normal in French
Old 05-18-2023, 08:06 AM   #670
tohubohu

there is no reason why you should have this problem and I should not, because we have the same letters of the alphabet.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:01 AM   #671
tohubohu

Quote:
hello Edison,
I looked on your langpack
indeed I didn't see the problem of the numbers on the example I was showing. and it's weird.
on the other hand, type for example 'jao' in the action filter and you have actions that come out where there is no jao in it.
also type in the number 1 and you have 3817 actions that come up when there are 841 in the english version of reaper.
(in French, 5253 actions)...

EDIT: I understood where the problem with the numbers came from.
look here if you want.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....00#post2678400
however, the problem of a few letters being written and causing any action to come out is present on both langpacks, and the reason why this happens is still unknown to me.

thanks

Last edited by tohubohu; 05-19-2023 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:05 AM   #672
Edison

Quote:
hello Edison,
I looked on your langpack
indeed I didn't see the problem of the numbers on the example I was showing. and it's weird.
on the other hand, type for example 'jao' in the action filter and you have actions that come out where there is no jao in it.
also type in the number 1 and you have 3817 actions that come up when there are 841 in the english version of reaper.
(in French, 5253 actions)...

EDIT: I understood where the problem with the numbers came from.
look here if you want.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....00#post2678400
however, the problem of a few letters being written and causing any action to come out is present on both langpacks, and the reason why this happens is still unknown to me.

thanks
Hi tohubohu,

I think organizing your LangPack file in the same sequence as the original English templates for: REAPER and SWS

1- REAPER
2- SWS

I think it would help you a lot when comparing.

Best regards,
Old 05-19-2023, 05:07 AM   #673
tohubohu

Quote:
Hi tohubohu,

I think organizing your LangPack file in the same sequence as the original English templates for: REAPER and SWS

1- REAPER
2- SWS

I think it would help you a lot when comparing.

Best regards,
thanks
it was the LangPackEdit software that sorted everything in alphabetical order. We decided to let the software do it.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:11 AM   #674
tohubohu

we compare on LangPackEdit

Old 05-30-2023, 09:08 PM   #675
Phroneris

Quote:
So, the window doesn't display the strange characters? See pic.

Best regards,
The release notes for v6.80 announced that this bug has been fixed.
Good news.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:28 AM   #676
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroneris View Post
The release notes for v6.80 announced that this bug has been fixed.
Good news.
Hi Phroneris,

Yes, and I commented here-> https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...57&postcount=4

Best regards,

Last edited by Edison; 06-03-2023 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:56 AM   #677
tohubohu

hello, could someone explain to us the classification of lines in langpacks and the title of the sections?
what does IDD and IDR mean for example or DLG?
what is a menu or a window?
etc...
THANKS

Last edited by tohubohu; 06-21-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:25 AM   #678
Edison

As I understand it.

DLG = DIALOG

IDD: Example 1-> [DLG_126] IDD_PROJECTSETTINGS-> Miscellaneous text window, in ex: Project Settings (in this case via File menu)
IDD: Example 2-> [DLG_136] IDD_PREFS_PLAY in Preferences-> Miscellaneous text window, in the e.g. Preferences-> Playback

IDR: Example 1-> [MENU_144] IDR_FXMENU = Texts Reserved to menus and submenus, in the e.g. the FX menu

Last edited by Edison; 06-26-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #679
tohubohu

thks Edison
Old 07-10-2023, 01:28 AM   #680
Edison

You're welcome @tohubohu.