Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #41
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
I would say that answer to your question is: YES.
Which one?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #42
mabian

Quote:
I would say that answer to your question is: YES.
I asked two questions...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #43
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
I asked two questions...
I think it was trolling.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #44
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I think it was trolling.
Sorry, was away for a while, you know, I have also real life.

No, definitely I wasn't trolling.
And it was answer to the second mabian's question.

So again:
Q: Or do you need to have Linux compatibility as well?
A: YES (me thinks)

Sorry for confussion in first reply, boys
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #45
vitalker

Quote:
Q: Or do you need to have Linux compatibility as well?
A: YES (me thinks)

Sorry for confussion in first reply, boys
I'll say no. Reaper supports some OS-exclusive formats, so it's not about Linux.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #46
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I'll say no. Reaper supports some OS-exclusive formats, so it's not about Linux.
Then try to ask schwa once again, because few posts back he was pointing to his reply from 2016, which can mean that existence of 64-bit version alone is not enough and missing inter-OS compatibility may be the key factor still today.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #47
vitalker

Quote:
Then try to ask schwa once again, because few posts back he was pointing to his reply from 2016, which can mean that existence of 64-bit version alone is not enough and missing inter-OS compatibility may be the key factor still today.
Yep, you're right. Although he didn't mention Linux at all. But yeah, things are getting changed.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #48
Joe90

Default Certain theme layouts broken in HiDPI with this dev version?

Just wanted to report that this dev version has broken some of my layouts in HiDPI. Not sure what has changed, but something has... same in 0616.

I have a few TCP/MCP layouts with different coloured faders to represent instruments, FX sends etc.

So for the green fader TCP layout I'm using this code in the rtconfig file -

Layout "Green" "Greentcp"
clear tcp

set tcp.label

EndLayout

Along with a folder called 'Green' in the main theme folder, that only contains the additional coloured fader png and nothing else. This has always worked for me with various themes, creating a tcp that just looks like the default but with a green fader - but something has changed, and now it's not. If I select the 'green' TCP layout I just get a tiny 75% layout with no coloured fader. Same with the extra MCP layouts. It only happens on the 4k monitor, not the 1080 one, so I expect it's something to do with the new DPI scaling tweaks.

I'm using B0se's 'Smooth' theme, but I've used this trick with various themes over the years and it's always worked.

I'm on Win 10 x64, one 4k monitor and one 1080p. It works as expected if I move the main window over to the 1080 monitor, but not on the 4K one. It's not finding the 'link' in the theme folder to create the layout when in HiDPI.

Perhaps this is something I've done wrong within the rtconfig file, but it's odd that's it's only just broken with these versions.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #49
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Just wanted to report that this dev version has broken some of my layouts in HiDPI. Not sure what has changed, but something has... same in 0616.

I have a few TCP/MCP layouts with different coloured faders to represent instruments, FX sends etc.

So for the green fader TCP layout I'm using this code in the rtconfig file -

Layout "Green" "Greentcp"
clear tcp

set tcp.label

EndLayout

Along with a folder called 'Green' in the main theme folder, that only contains the additional coloured fader png and nothing else. This has always worked for me with various themes, creating a tcp that just looks like the default but with a green fader - but something has changed, and now it's not. If I select the 'green' TCP layout I just get a tiny 75% layout with no coloured fader. Same with the extra MCP layouts. It only happens on the 4k monitor, not the 1080 one, so I expect it's something to do with the new DPI scaling tweaks.

I'm using B0se's 'Smooth' theme, but I've used this trick with various themes over the years and it's always worked.

I'm on Win 10 x64, one 4k monitor and one 1080p. It works as expected if I move the main window over to the 1080 monitor, but not on the 4K one. It's not finding the 'link' in the theme folder to create the layout when in HiDPI.

Perhaps this is something I've done wrong within the rtconfig file, but it's odd that's it's only just broken with these versions.
I see something like that on mac as well (612+dev0616). But only for Layouts that doesn't have 2x resources and are not defined in dpi translation.

Before this any layout using 1x resources was also working with 4k/retina, and not scaled if they were not included in dpi translation.

Other Layouts like separators are suddenly not accessible in hi-dpi. But they can be forced only if selected as default layouts, but then they are scaled.

Trying to figure out what is going on. I changed some lines and created new hi-dpi sub folder content, but no solution so far.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #50
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
I see something like that on mac as well (612+dev0616). But only for Layouts that doesn't have 2x resources and are not defined in dpi translation.

Before this any layout using 1x resources was also working with 4k/retina, and not scaled if they were not included in dpi translation.

Other Layouts like separators are suddenly not accessible in hi-dpi. But they can be forced only if selected as default layouts, but then they are scaled.

Trying to figure out what is going on. I changed some lines and created new hi-dpi sub folder content, but no solution so far.
Thanks for chiming in, as this seems to have been ignored for the last few versions.
Probably the subset of people that test the latest dev versions, AND use a HiDPI monitor, AND use these type of additional layouts is quite small. However, if this gets rolled out as it is then there are going to be a lot of confused users I expect.

I suspect maybe it's not an actual bug, but a side effect of a change in how scaling is being handled, and we just need to tweak something in our theme folders or rtconfig files... I've no idea what that might be though.

Hopefully WhiteTie will spot this and shed some light on the situation.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:58 AM   #51
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Thanks for chiming in, as this seems to have been ignored for the last few versions.
Probably the subset of people that test the latest dev versions, AND use a HiDPI monitor, AND use these type of additional layouts is quite small. However, if this gets rolled out as it is then there are going to be a lot of confused users I expect.

I suspect maybe it's not an actual bug, but a side effect of a change in how scaling is being handled, and we just need to tweak something in our theme folders or rtconfig files... I've no idea what that might be though.

Hopefully WhiteTie will spot this and shed some light on the situation.
Hi Joe, yes I'm aware that Reaper dpi scaling is undergoing some changes, and absolutely fine if it will now be a requirement to have all hi-res resources available and specified for translation. This works fine with +Dev. What I'm trying to say is that it seems to be forced now.

And yes, perhaps there's a general way to tell Reaper not to scale low-res resources, even if it will continue to be a compromise when these layouts are used in hi-dpi environments, we'll see.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote