Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 03-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
pompitous
Human being with feelings

Default Converting Ambisonics A-format to binaural via Ambi Micro plugin

Hello,

Apologies for an entry level question: I have a Sennheiser Ambeo VR mic with which I want to create binaural tracks via the Dear VR Ambi Micro plugin.

I am brand new to Reaper. Digital Performer has been my go-to DAW for 30 years and MOTU have devised me quite an involved setup for sending 4 x mono tracks through the plugin in order to output binaural stereo but DP doesn't seem a natural fit for this task and a Sennheiser engineer has recommended Reaper.

Could someone give me a basic workflow for inputting 4 x mono tracks so they position correctly for the plugin to do its work, assuming I have zero knowledge of Reaper? I need to be able to correctly assign each track number to the correct plugin channel. I have tried setting the master track to 4 input channels and assigning Ambi Micro to its fx, but the render produced a mono-sounding track with no spatial elements.

Thanks very much, help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by pompitous; 03-20-2020 at 07:48 AM.
pompitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #2
jm duchenne

Hi,

The strangest thing for me is that you whish to use 4 mono files instead of a 4 channels one : is there a specific reason to do so ?

It is not difficult to do work like that, but it would be much easier and faster if you convert them to multichannel, for instance with the free Wave Agent application :
https://www.sounddevices.com/product...gent-software/

In this case all you will have to do is to insert the DearVR plugin on the track where you have put your ambisonic files...

If you need to do it with separate mono files, you will have first to create a "parent" track (4 channels) above your 4 tracks, pan these tracks to the Left and select for each one a different parent channel, that is 1, 2, 3, and 4.
The plugin will be inserted on the parent track.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
pompitous

Thanks jm!

I was doing the 4 x mono tracks thing because I thought that was my only way to import the 4 tracks that that the mic puts out. I had tried to install Wave Agent but it seemed to object to Catalina, though I've persisted now after your advice and have made it work, so now just trying to get head round that - at the moment it's just combining to a single mono track but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Should be fine hopefully...

Cheers.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
jm duchenne

You must choose Combine Mono, then check File_1/Trk1, File_2/Trk2 etc.

It must give you a 4 channels file that you can drop directly on Reaper's arrangement. A 4 channels track will be automatically created and you will just have to insert your plugin on it ;-)

But perhaps you will have to place before the Ambeo A to B converter ?
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
pompitous

Working now, thanks!

The Ambi Micro plugin accepts Ambisonic A format so I don't need the A to B converter.