Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
dsyrock
Human being with feelings

Default v6.12+dev0705 - July 5 2020

v6.12+dev0705 - July 5 2020
  • + MP3: display embedded chapter tags in media explorer and optionally in arrange view
  • + Media explorer: add option to hide file extension when file type column is displayed
  • + Metadata: support embedding and reading XMP metadata for wav, mp3, flac
  • # Media Explorer: when inserting to sample player on new track, set track name and MIDI inputs
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
dsyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
Nostrap

Monitor Fx that I had opened when I close Reaper no longer open when I start it back up again. This is new behavior that only started happening a few dev builds ago. Would like the old behavior back if possible because some of the display settings that I have on the analyzer fx go away too
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #3
EvilDragon

I can only see "Mixer: Toggle show FX parameters if space available". This is not a solution. The solution is: don't remove existing workflows. I still don't see a way to return track FX parameters to a separate section in the mixer. Please return this possibility.

Why are you breaking workflows?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:49 AM   #4
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Evolution!
I hear you. But maybe the devs have long-term plans that require this step...?
Workflows adapt
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:16 AM   #5
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyrock View Post
[*]+ Metadata: support embedding and reading XMP metadata for wav, mp3, flac
Works great, Premiere Pro reads this well. There are some fields which can be linked in Premiere Pro to its project internal fields, that may suggest an importance of these fields.

I'd suggest to add:
- Dublin Core: all (* PPro internal has Description and Title )
- Basic: Rating-stars
- Dynamic media: Tape name*, Alternate Timecode* (there are two groups for timecode, GH5 camera writes its timecode into this alternate one and it's read well by PPro), Shot Name*, Shot Date, Audio Track Number, Release Date, Instrument, Number of Beats, Musical Scale Type, Comment* (different than Log Comment), Take Number, Client*, Good*, Project Name,
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:17 AM   #6
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
But maybe the devs have long-term plans that require this step...?
Not convinced. There are more cons than pros to the way FX parameters are grouped below their FX unit. For example, longer mouse travel from parameter to parameter, compared to how you could've had it laid out before. And also you can't have your own groupings of parameters anymore, everything is broken up with the damn FX slots. This is not good at all, and I am severely disappointed in not having an option to keep it the way it was. I'd like a clarification as to why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Workflows adapt
Not always and not regarding everything. How do you explain people still using Win XP
Old 07-06-2020, 02:20 AM   #7
bFooz

Quote:
[*]+ Media explorer: add option to hide file extension when file type column is displayed
Native extensions are not being read:

.reapindex
.reapeaks
.rpp-bak
Old 07-06-2020, 02:27 AM   #8
bFooz

Actions in ME Insert as take and Use as media source could use the cursor position in preview are of ME as a start offset in items.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:27 AM   #9
Joe90

Quote:
Not convinced. There are more cons than pros to the way FX parameters are grouped below their FX unit. For example, longer mouse travel from parameter to parameter, compared to how you could've had it laid out before. And also you can't have your own groupings of parameters anymore, everything is broken up with the damn FX slots. This is not good at all, and I am severely disappointed in not having an option to keep it the way it was.
Totally agree. It should be optional. This is a step backwards in functionality.

I use FX parameters in the mixer a LOT, and I have projects that now look like a total mess because of this feature change.

If the devs are dead set on this route and don't want to make it optional, then please at the very least give us a way to show/hide FX parameters per track, as at the moment this can't be done (unless we want to manually unassign/reassign all parameters whenever we want to show/hide them!).
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:29 AM   #10
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Totally agree. It should be optional. This is a step backwards in functionality.
+1 for optionable. And +1 for coloring.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:48 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If the devs are dead set on this route and don't want to make it optional
I like to believe J&S are reasonable people, so I'm still hoping for that option
Old 07-06-2020, 03:07 AM   #12
Reno.thestraws

Quote:
+10000
Old 07-06-2020, 03:09 AM   #13
xpander

The background coloring under the ReaEQ parameters has changed couple of times during this 6.12+ dev cycle. As it is now, I think it's too uneven.

xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:58 AM   #14
ovnis

The previous version was better.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:55 AM   #15
bFooz

Now what about adding Reaper's native project metadata. Currently there is only Author and Notes.

These could be edited via project settings where they are now. There should then also be an action added to show project settings with this tab focused.

The new fields could be all the fields currently present in ME.

These fields should then be visible and editable via ME in a standard way. Notes could go either into Custom Tags, Comment or Description, don't know now. But there is a difference between Author and Artist - Author of the project am I and Artist is who I do the mix for.

And of course wildcard-accessible.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:45 AM   #16
akademie

Quote:
I can only see "Mixer: Toggle show FX parameters if space available". This is not a solution. The solution is: don't remove existing workflows. I still don't see a way to return track FX parameters to a separate section in the mixer. Please return this possibility.

I also don't understand this change.
This is messy view now and absolutely does not help with any workflow (well, anz I can imagine).

Please, ditch it altogether (=revert it back) or add it as an option.

Or discuss why it is needed for future if it has to go this strange way, please.
Many thanks.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #17
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
The background coloring under the ReaEQ parameters has changed couple of times during this 6.12+ dev cycle. As it is now, I think it's too uneven.

I already reported that zillion times through the v6.x cycle and it comes back in various dialogs/windows again and again. If it is good in Rea plugins, then it is messed up in Project settings and vice versa.

I have a reproducible instructions how to break it while running Reaper if it looks good... so it's a few steps and then this white labels are there. I will try to make a LiceCap gif and post later today.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #18
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
This is messy view now and absolutely does not help with any workflow (well, anz I can imagine).

Or discuss why it is needed for future if it has to go this strange way, please.
Many thanks.
I like the new version better overall as it groups parameters to fx and makes it easier to see.

I can see why people like the old one though too. Especially as the order is not affected by moving effects around.

Option would be good but definitely don't loose the new version completely
Old 07-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #19
Neutronic

Thank you very much for all the Media Explorer improvements!

A couple of issues found while testing:
1. Write edited metadata to media files does not seem to work with files inside databases (REAPER returns the File Write Error). It works fine with files inside folders.

2. Icons for unsupported (by REAPER) files are missing/blank:

Neutronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:08 AM   #20
ovnis

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:12 AM   #21
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Media explorer images
And ability to manually edit it (box field).
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:26 AM   #22
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post

Many thanks.
For me the new behavior is better. I use parameters just time to time and it's good to have the knob right next to the plugin. It is a small sister of UI embedding.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:28 AM   #23
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
(img - ME volume slider)
+1. that whole area with all the buttons is messy and in a need of reworking.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:37 AM   #24
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
And ability to manually edit it (box field).
I'd love every numerical parameter that appears in the GUI to be able to be manually edited with numerical input from the keyboard. I guess it's a huge piece of work, so I've been a little shy to voice it.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #25
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
For me the new behavior is better. I use parameters just time to time and it's good to have the knob right next to the plugin. It is a small sister of UI embedding.
Sure, I understand this kind of use case.

Then it is not definitely any substitute for old behavior, where it was possible to display quickly, easily and efficiently only chosen parameters. And I am not saying that it was perfect solution, maybe a bit unfinished (as are many parts of Reaper), but I would rather like to see some love to make it better by coloring etc. instead of moving to a totally different type of functionality suddenly, breaking all of the previous. It's wrong.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #26
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I'd love every numerical parameter that appears in the GUI to be able to be manually edited with numerical input from the keyboard. I guess it's a huge piece of work, so I've been a little shy to voice it.
Yep, I had the same thought.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #27
planetnine

Default + Media explorer: remove option to use Windows Explorer for browsing

"Show in Explorer/Finder"

When was this restored? Have I not been paying attention? I was struggling to fix my workflow with this Media Explorer amendment, I thought I was going to have annoying roadblocks post 6.12

Thank you, this actually will make quite a difference. You did have me quite worried, I'm not used to you guys actually removing functionality from REAPER.

For my own workflow, it would be nice as a file context item in Project Bay/Source Media, but I'll gladly take its return to its previous location. A good thing is I've learned more about the ME, something I'd largely ignored previously.

>
Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #28
xpander

Quote:
I'm on the fence with this one. With just couple of parameters shown and tooltips telling for which plugin they belong to, the old style has worked fine for me. However, the more there are different plugins/parameters visible, the more sense it makes to me to show the parameters under their respective plugins. To me, even just a small (color) difference between the plugin box and respective parameters would make it more clear though.

Quick mockup:
Old 07-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #29
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
"Show in Explorer/Finder" When was this restored?
It was here all the time. You probably confused it with using Explorer instead of native Media explorer.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #30
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
It was here all the time. You probably confused it with using Explorer instead of native Media explorer.

Im confoosed! So what was:
Quote:
v6.12+dev0624 - June 24 2020
+ Media explorer: remove option to use Windows Explorer for browsing
all about then..?

>
Old 07-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #31
xpander

Quote:
Quote:
v6.12+dev0624 - June 24 2020
+ Media explorer: remove option to use Windows Explorer for browsing
all about then..?
>
In that release Windows Explorer was removed as an option to browse files in the place of Media Explorer. However, Show in explorer/finder has been in the Media Explorer menu for ages. That will open a separate instance of explorer/finder.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:07 AM   #32
airon

+ Mixer: add option to show TCP FX parameters with the FX inserts

This is an interesting change. Since I usually only have parameters here that are automated, they do stand out well.

I use the sidecar MCP across the entire screen as a track inspector, so this works well for me. You know me and my ideas for the MCP. I like changes if they shake out well. So far I'm fine with this one.

I was looking for how to hide the Vendor name in the MCP insert descriptions(Fabfilter has to change that themselves:P ) when I found "Chain PDC/per-chain compensation". -edit- 6.09 !!! Well, it's the new default I assume.

Any performance penalties over the old per-plugin method ?

Cool.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #33
vitalker

Quote:
Im confoosed! So what was: all about then..?
It was possible to use Windows Explorer (limited) instead of native ME inside ME. You're writing just about showing a file in Explorer/Finder.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #34
Win Conway

Quote:
v6.12+dev0705 - July 5 2020
[*]# Media Explorer: when inserting to sample player on new track, set track name and MIDI inputs
I am going to do a separate discussion about the last few tweaks needed for the media explorer, but I think this one is quite related to this and could bring Reaper on par with Maschine for previewing and in to parity with itself too.
Reaper has always had one of if not the best in context media explorers available anywhere, so you could preview through plugins, in sync etc etc, the only place that Maschine outshines it is in context sample instrument playback, with the insert to sample player now available, a preview with selected sample player tickbox could really put Reaper over the top in terms of in context preview.
Example....
Say I have a bass sound playing a pattern using RS5K, I tick preview through selected player (or even have it as a context menu option) now when I flick through my bass samples in my bass folder, it plays them using the RS5K pattern.

OH FYI, these media explorer updates are huge for me, massive workflow speed ups, thank you Cockos

Last edited by Win Conway; 07-06-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #35
Win Conway

Quote:
+1. that whole area with all the buttons is messy and in a need of reworking.
Actually it needs WALTERing, simply because right now, all design bias for that section is based on the media explorer being horizontal docked, I have switched to vertical docked in the last few years and that whole section is weirdly reactive in that configuration, I will be posting a separate thread though.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #36
Win Conway

Quote:

all about then..?

>
On Windows, previously, you could use the Windows explorer directly inside Reaper instead of the built in browser, for a lot of stuff it was superior, but obviously couldn't be done on mac, and the browser is now catching up with the explorer option, so I would assume for parity, and hopefully stronger themeing purposes it is now removed.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #37
deeb

sorry to point this out! with create sampler on new track option in ME, doesn't make much sense importing any loop into sampler without timestreach applied. This goes in the direction of what i been telling about an option to"apply time stretch when dragging from ME to a sampler"
Old 07-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #38
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
sorry to point this out! with create sampler on new track option in ME, doesn't make much sense importing any loop into sampler without timestreach applied. This goes in the direction of what i been telling about an option to"apply time stretch when dragging from ME to a sampler"
It would have to be optional, I don't use timestretch on loops imported to the timeline, and wouldn't use it with loops imported to the sampler, so it make sense for others, maybe not for you.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #39
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
It would have to be optional, I don't use timestretch on loops imported to the timeline, and wouldn't use it with loops imported to the sampler, so it make sense for others, maybe not for you.
well yeah! just like we have option to drag to project without time stretch applied

At the present , dragging to samplers with no option is a limitation.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #40
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
but i wonder ! because i might learn from it! how do you match/ sync a loop inside a sampler to a different BPM in the DAW?

Do you ever import a loop to a sampler?
It's strange for the way i see, even for project import , .. do you ever use out of tempo loops ?

Last edited by deeb; 07-06-2020 at 09:33 AM.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote