Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
DJ Saint-Hubert
Human being with feelings

Default "pink" distortion/waveshaper

I really did go ahead and make that fractal distortion I was talking about. It uses the entirety of a fractal image and makes a waveshape out of it basically. The thing is, if you run white noise through it, you seem to get a perfect upward 3db slope. I was like that's useless, but then I remembered while there's no such thing as a 3db filter, 6db lowpass does exist and 3 - 6 = -3, so you just run a 6db lowpass after the distortion and you should get (close) to perfect pink noise I hope! My idea is you can run any mix through it, EQing it as flat as possible beforehand, and you should get a really 'pink' mix/frequency response, which is kind of muffled, but you can EQ it however you want after those steps, and it seems to sound pretty clear if not a little quiet!

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/21083/fennecTDS.txt

maybe can cause some crunch if used improperly, but otherwise should sound fine. You can repeat the effect with the repeat slider but it seems to sound ideal in just one pass

oh crap ignore this whole thread, turns out manalyzer was broken (slope set to +3db) wtf

Last edited by DJ Saint-Hubert; 06-27-2014 at 01:12 PM.
DJ Saint-Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
DJ Saint-Hubert
Human being with feelings

another discovery... you can use it like an exciter but without the need for crossovers. Simply EQ out the frequencies you don't want to enhance in ReaEQ and then copy the instance of ReaEQ and on the 2nd instance use the 'flip all bands' command I assume this is because of pink noise equal energy in all frequencies thing, who cares why really

Edit: That still works, but I found something even weirder. If you run the pink noise through the distortion again, it doesn't turn back into white noise, it stays the same, or might get even 'pinker'! I'm trying it now on music, distorting and filtering it and then running a bunch of times to see what happens

Last edited by DJ Saint-Hubert; 06-26-2014 at 04:54 PM.
DJ Saint-Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote