Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Default BCR2000 "channel strip": midi, BCF P1, MCU, Klinke...

I want to be able to control a channel strip plugin from a BCD2000. Given a brief investigation, the action to take is extremely nebulous and convoluted, so before I do down a blind alley, it seems like people are using it "somehow" via the following Reaper options:

1) the "MIDI devices" route... (does midi learn switch focus depending on track selection?)

2) the "Control/OSC/web control route
a) BCF P1
b) Mackie Control Extender
C) the Klinke MCU route?

3) Various 3rd party .dlls
4) JS plugins
5) ReaSomethingOrAnother plugins
6) Some Other Methodology I'm Not Aware Of

Holy frak.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
BenK-msx

Hey. Thats a Toughy, memories fade..

Those devices seem to be in the category of good but fiddly particularly for anyone now used to things generally working when you plugin and install like has been in last several years.

My gut say klinke MCU mode for controlling plugin with feedback.

If just want to learn dials etc to plugs and save that in reaper, then easier and midi devices route should suffice.

The info thread in my signature is most of the reaper bcf/r info avail so you probably saw it.

Might just have to bit ye a bullet and enjoy an evening of configuring.. sorry!
Old 06-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
mschnell

As a software such as Reaper is not able to provide support for the hundreds of different would-be "surface" devices that could be attached (usually via Midi or OSC), and hundreds of preferences how to use them, your options "3) Various 3rd party .dlls / 5) ReaSomethingOrAnother plugins" is the most likely to lead to a satisfying result.

Here "DLL/something" should be replaced by the correct term "Reaper extension Plugin".

here -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143 such a plugin is workd on that is supposed to be abele to be configurable to support a very wide range of devices and workflow intentions.

I did a complex construct of JSFXes to use a surface (Behringer X-Touch Compact) for my own Live keyboard setup, and I did some JSFXes helping others with their Live setups, but IMHO, JSFXes don't seem appropriate for "general" (vs "Live") DAW control.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-24-2018 at 11:10 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

Here "DLL/something" should be replaced by the correct term "Reaper extension Plugin".
"Ok"

Quote:
I did a complex construct of JSFXes to use a surface (Behringer X-Touch Compact) for my own Live keyboard setup, and I did some JSFXes helping others with their Live setups, but IMHO, JSFXes don't seem appropriate for "general" (vs "Live") DAW control.
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Hey. Thats a Toughy, memories fade..

My gut say klinke MCU mode for controlling plugin with feedback.
Yeah, it's looking that way, I guess I needed to see it in print.

Quote:
If just want to learn dials etc to plugs and save that in reaper, then easier and midi devices route should suffice.
Hmm. Before my Nord Lead died I used it with midi learn and presume I can do the same with the BCR, but now I'm unsure of advantages using MCU? "Uhg".

Quote:
The info thread in my signature is most of the reaper bcf/r info avail so you probably saw it.
Yeah, thanks!

Quote:
Might just have to bit ye a bullet and enjoy an evening of configuring.. sorry!
That would be fine IF... if I knew it would work as I wanted and not have any surprises. Trying to avoid any gotchas.

I just want to set it up to run a channel strip VST, I can't remember if MIDI learn changes focus when you select a different track or not, but as I recall there was something messing me up when I was doing it with my Nord and I hit a brickwall... I think csurf and the jackm thing was in it's infancy then, but as you say, memory fades. Ahrgh.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I'm unsure of advantages using MCU?
As the BCF does not speak MCU (a dedicated Midi Dialect), I don't suppose this will help. (In fact my X-Touch can be switched to MCU mode, but I prefer using it in native mode even when the CSI Reaper Extension is ready so that I will be able to use it as a DAW controller.)

Do you know the new Behringer X-Touch One ? Same is a Behringer Surface with a single motor fader, many buttons and a scribble strip and will be a great addition to an X-Touch Compact or a BCF when building a Reaper DAW surface (enabled by te upcoming CSI extension) .

-Michael
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #7
BenK-msx

MCU mode will allow Param feedback and text if using an mcu display utility.

Main advantage I think
Old 06-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
an mcu display utility.
What is this supposed to be ? A dedicated display-only hardware device ? (In fact I am searching for something like this.)

-Michael
Old 06-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
cjewellstudios

Hey Chip,

First of all let me say I feel your pain. I have been on a similar search for a long time. I have totally found a great solution that I planned on sharing with the community (it's not my work, but a combination of a few scripts from two people) and I'll get to that. Let me first answer your question about track selection. I urge you to try and make a single mapping and test this for yourself but I can save you a few clicks. When you make a mapping using Reaper's native midi learn you have a few options. You can have the mapping work when the track is selected. You can also force the plugin window to have focus for the mapping to work. The third option is clicking neither of those and the mapping works all the time regardless of focus or track selection.

Reaper's native midi learn definitely works for this. A couple things I found that I was missing/not enjoying were 1. parameter jumps. You can use soft takeover to avoid them but I've found a more elegant solution and 2. lack of midi feedback on your controller.

In the following video, I am using a midi fighter twister. I have each plugin mapped separately to the twister and I am just clicking on diff plugins and receiving midi feedback immediately (which means absolutely no parameter jumping!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aae...w?usp=drivesdk

These are the links to the scripts I use. If you or anybody else is interested I will gladly show you how I made this work. But here are the scripts I used in conjunction with eachother.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204972

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199400

helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:37 AM   #10
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What is this supposed to be ? A dedicated display-only hardware device ? (In fact I am searching for something like this.)

-Michael
A software util that emulates the MCU display , so you can see things like 'eq low' when you twiddle
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #11
chip mcdonald

Quote:
MCU mode will allow Param feedback and text if using an mcu display utility.

Main advantage I think
Ah, +10, thanks...
Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post

Reaper's native midi learn definitely works for this. A couple things I found that I was missing/not enjoying were 1. parameter jumps. You can use soft takeover to avoid them but I've found a more elegant solution and 2. lack of midi feedback on your controller.
Thanks for your input. I'm somewhat in flux from a time standpoint and need to meter that out a bit better... so for now I'm thinking I'll just need to be satiated with having MIDI learned parameters on a focused VST. I got the BCR as a freebie after splaying out a large sum for a Silly Nice camera lens, so it's been something of a lark.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
BenK-msx

There is also this
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204972

By lb0

Not tried but looks the shnizzle