Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #41
Not_Here
Human being with feelings

It's strange how even the "seemingly" easier songs are actually not any less demanding.

two tiny tweaks, then one more test and listen this afternoon... Think I have a mix I'm not too embarassed to turn in ....

EDIT: My hot mess of a mix submitted at the last moment as usual... now time to go and hide in the dark until the voting is over. Also to find some old armor somewhere for the feedback sesh.

Last edited by Not_Here; 05-19-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:07 AM   #42
DaveKeehl

All the submissions are online
Old 05-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #43
RDBOIS
Banned

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #44
DaveKeehl

I know right? btw for those who asked me via email, yes I got all your submissions and replaced the files you told me to change, so don't worry
Old 05-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #45
g4greg

Can't wait to hear the results! I'll give them a good listen tonight after work.

I'll also ask my band to listen to it..

楽しみ!!
Old 05-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #46
Dex

Dang, listening to the other submissions makes it so easy to hear the mistakes in mine. If I could just tweak it a little bit and resubmit! Oh well. Looking forward to hearing everyone's comments.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #47
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Dang, listening to the other submissions makes it so easy to hear the mistakes in mine. If I could just tweak it a little bit and resubmit! Oh well. Looking forward to hearing everyone's comments.
Hey, I was gonna say that!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #48
g4greg

Quote:

That's why these contests exist.. I came to the same conclusion last month! You learn so much like that.. Thanks again for potting this together man, it's more useful thant you could ever imagine
Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 AM   #49
g4greg

Holy macaroni and cheese! You guys delivered in spades! EVERY SINGLE MIX is totally unique

Everyone should really get a 10 for creativity! So many different takes on the same song ! Some people may disagree (and possibly my own band members), but I totally dig most of the edits and liberties everyone took with the mix..

I don't know who I will vote for yet, but I'm a happy camper for sure!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #50
red86549

It's amazing how every mix is different from the other, everyone have some particular things that is really good.. someone have very genius idea, someone choose a "strange" mix, but i want to congratulate to everyone mix this song...! Great job..!
red86549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #51
DaveKeehl

and I want to welcome you here on the forum I see that's your first post!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #52
red86549

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
and I want to welcome you here on the forum I see that's your first post!
Thanks..!! i start using reaper two years ago, and is my main daw for mixing.. sooner also for compose...!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #53
DaveKeehl

I'm already writing my notes I think I found my number 1 mix, and it's really good. I know who you are hehehe
Old 05-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #54
Dex

I've got my top 4 and it's really tough to pick between them!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #55
DaveKeehl

again, I know who you are blink blink
Old 05-24-2018, 02:30 AM   #56
DaveKeehl

mix notes ready now I have to decide who to vote...
Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #57
Not_Here

Still workin out my top three. Feedback is a bit challenging for me this time also. So many good ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0401.JPG (48.2 KB, 466 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #58
Dex

Alright, I got my vote in and my notes prepared
Old 05-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #59
DaveKeehl

2 days left to vote, then let the mix notes flow
Old 05-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #60
g4greg

Man, I gotta vote now!

In my book, there are a couple clear cut winners, it's just a matter of choosing which one's the best between those few.

However, a lot of mixes had brilliant ideas that I will keep at the back of my mind next time I mix
Old 05-28-2018, 09:59 PM   #61
Not_Here

Voting done.

So many good ones. ALl I can say is:
I'm not worthy... I'm not worthy...... I'm not worthy....
Old 05-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #62
Olli H

I made my notes about week ago, but forgot to vote. Yesterday I realized that maybe I haven't done so. Now it's done
Olli H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #63
DaveKeehl

voted!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #64
g4greg

just voted now, I hope it regisered.

Great job everyone!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #65
DaveKeehl

I have the results, come back tomorrow at 5 PM EST

(if you do a bit of research on the forum you might already find out the results )
Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #66
DaveKeehl

and the winner is....

KGARELLO!

As always you're kindly invited to go and pick a sing of you liking from here. Send me a PM when you're done!

Updated analytics (click it)

Complete rankings:

What a battle! kgarello jumps to the first place!

New Top 10:

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 05-31-2018 at 12:23 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #67
kgarello

###Edit -- I had my notes out of order - fixed.

Wow! Thanks to everyone who voted for me(and everyone else also)!

Thanks for the fun song g4greg - would like to see your notes!

This was a really interesting song to vote on - Everyone did a great job so it was hard to judge.

Here are my notes for what they are worth.

1. Well balanced -
Panning on guitar - not sure.
Vocals good. spoken a little low
Consistant room sound

2. Good balance - Good Vox - background vox somewhat low
kick has no low end
Bass is clean
Ending interesting

3. Synth track very in front.
Drum tracks very in back.
Interesting use of effects

4. Very Unaffected
Guitars lo mid heavy - mono sounding
cool spoken part - liked the back processing

5. Bright intro.
Sounds somewhat lofi
Prominent synths with cool effects
Low Mids missing

6.Nice guitars
Good Balance
Like the room
but too dark overall

7. Cool Intro!
No Kick!
Interesting Mix.
Kind of mixes Southern Gospel with Old English

8. Good mix for the tale.
I like the reverb - big but good space
Would like more synth
Another kick light mix

9. Strange guitar panning
Vocals nice but panning is distracting.
Same with shaker
Balance is good

10. Guitars very much in front
Vocals are too far back
Guitar dynamics are cool - like the percussion sound

11. Nice Balance
Synths might be to forward
Shaker up front

12. mid heavy
I miss the low end
Vox and room verb nice

13. Good tone for song.
Low end somewhat distracting
Vocals mixed well.

14. good balance
cool effects in 1st chorus
Guitars nce. I like the guitar dynamic changes
Great Kick
Would like more forward vox - doesn't quite seem to be in the same room.

Last edited by kgarello; 05-31-2018 at 04:30 PM.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #68
Dex

Congrats kgarello. Also thanks to whoever the one person was who voted for me in first place . My first first-place vote.

I first listened to everything on monitors, and then again on headphones. My notes:

1 - Sounds overcompressed. The vocals are a little too quiet and too varied in level to hear every word clearly. Good overall frequency balance. That woodblock is too loud toward the end. The guitar panned so hard left at the beginning hurts a little bit when listening on headphones. MID-TOP (3)

2 - Liked the intro. Hate the bass drum. Chorus sounds really disjointed - I can't tell what I'm supposed to focus on. Spoken part was handled well except for the bass drum whacking away way out in front of everything else.

3 - Mine. Percussion is a little too quiet, although I think I had the right idea to move it pretty far back. Also some issues with too-obvious compression.

4 - Really dry. Sounds a little claustrophobic, but interesting take on the piece.

5 - Intro too airy. Vocals sound a little too telephone-y. Also there's virtaully no information above 15 khz.

6 - Bass drum too loud. Not enough high end. Vocals nice and clear, although I thought the falsetto vocal was too loud. I think this one actually sounds a lot like 11, but with less high end. MID-TOP (4)

7 - Sorry, this is making me feel seasick.

8 - I feel like the woodblock needs to be centered, not panned left. Too much reverb on the vocals are obscuring them. Backing vox are not very audible. Vocals during the spoken part are very well done.

9 - Not sure about that shaker. One of the better-balanced mixes frequency wise, but the chorus guitar levels are not handled well. (Listen for the pop in the first chorus.) Mix is quite dry. Liked the ping in the second verse.

10 - The lead vox are buried behind the backing vox and everything else. Chorus guitar levels are not handled well. (Listen for the pop in the first chorus.)

11 - Shaker and bass drum are really loud. Good frequency and instrument balance otherwise. Overly strong de-essing on the spoken part. Something went wrong with the wood block at the beginning of the first chorus. TOP (2)

12 - Not a fan of the guitar treatment, although it works once everything else is there. Chimes are done well. Synths aren't very audible.

13 - I really dislike the delay on the woodblock part after the first chorus. Bass drum is too loud. Liked the chimes. Interesting take on the spoken part although I didn't really like it.

14 - Bass drum too loud. Woodblock too loud at the end. Turn those down and I think this one is in good shape. Best sounding chorus guitars, I think. TOP (1)

Last edited by Dex; 06-01-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:15 PM   #69
Dex

The way I started my mix was this. After a quick listen to the synth tracks all together I figured they were going to be mostly background filler, so I muted them when I started by mixing the song. I think the "lead" synth was so quiet that I missed it initially.

By the time I had a rough mix without the synths I knew the song pretty well. Then I listened to each synth track individually and started bringing them in, and was blown away by how they completely changed the atmosphere of the song (in a good way!). That's when I decided I had to feature them prominently in my mix.

Last edited by Dex; 06-01-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:20 PM   #70
DaveKeehl

I'm sorry if my comments sound too harsh, I was writing them while listening and those were my first impressions xD

MIX NOTES:

ID 01: very nice, maybe left channel a bit too prominent. Kick and bass could be just a bit louder (to give a bit more body to the song). When the singer talks it’s a bit difficult to hear what he says

ID 02: Weird kick, sounds thin and distant. The main vocal could be a bit louder. I love the automations you did (if you didn’t automate anything then you’ve done a good job bringing up the energy during the key moments). Inappropriate effects at the end imho.

ID 03: Really good use of the sound effects! Really good use of panning! Sounds really professional to me! Maybe the first time I get this feeling in this contest. Main vox maybe a bit low? A bit more low-end couldn’t hurt.
Comments after re-listen: there is a looooot of noise in the background. I think you’re compressing the heck out of those guitars because also the “screeching” sounds of the guitars are super loud, especially at the end of the song.

ID 04: The main vocal sounds muffled. The mix lacks energy in general. Sometimes it feels like it’s opening up but then nothing special happens. Too mono. You had a lot of tools to make it powerful and energetic but it’s all so static and meh

ID 05: man what’s up with the eq on the guitar? And on the vox too. The stereo image could be wider. A bit boring. Nice attempt to automate the panning of the talking voice but at that point I had already lost interest.

ID 06: Nice ambience. The main vox is a bit too quiet maybe? Kick and bass could be louder to give more low-end to the mix. The mix is good but feels “static”.

ID 07: Wow haha, weird eq on main vox. Really a lot of noise on that guitar. ReaFIR? Nice idea to make something different but at times sounds a bit weird. What can I say? Good overall with some flaws but nothing super exciting here.

ID 08: nice intro and feeling. The main vox can be heard very easily (good! Other mixes had problems), maybe too much at times. The back vox are too quiet. The mix started out great, but then it felt “empty”. There were a lot of tracks with sound effects and cool instruments and I couldn’t hear them.

ID 09: don’t pan the main vox, it’s a bit off-putting. The automation on the acoustic guitar is a cool idea but I don’t dig it that much, it becomes annoying after a while. You have way too many instruments going from left to right and it makes me feel sick.

ID 10: the acoustic guitar was eq’ed in a weird way. The main vox should be more upfront, the guitars is too loud. I like the energy rising in the key moments.

ID 11: Nice mix. Better than most of the average mixes this month. Don’t have any complaints about your work because the rest is just personal taste.

ID 12: weird eq on the acoustic guitar and the bass. Nice fat body. I think it’s appropriate to the song. The bass could be more prominent. Nice effects. Good balance. Except the weird eq’ed acoustic guitar at the beginning I think it’s a solid mix.

ID 13: nice feeling at the beginning. The kick is too subby. The vox is a bit dry and in general I would have appreciated a bit of reverb (or a bit more if there is reverb). Ok mix.

ID 14: Nice mix. The kick is too loud. At the end still sounds good, so good job. No major critics.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #71
kgarello

Quote:
After a quick listen to the synth tracks all together I figured they were going to be mostly background filler, so I muted them when I started by mixing the song. I think the "lead" synth was so quiet that I missed it initially.

By the time I had a rough mix without the synths I knew the song pretty well. Then I listened to each synth track individually and started bringing them in, and was blown away by how they completely changed the atmosphere of the song (in a good way!). That's when I decided I had to feature them prominently in my mix.
Thats cool. I've been trying to write electronic synth stuff lately, so I hooked right onto them.

I played my early mixes to my son and he loved the kick. So I went with that as a focus. I tried to get a cool room sound between that and other percussion.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #72
g4greg

I'll post my comments once at home, but I'll just share my general view on things: Effects are nice, but they are like spices in a recipe..

Put too much of it, and what started as a really good idea can quickly make the whole dish taste like that spice, and nothing else..

Last edited by g4greg; 05-31-2018 at 04:32 PM.
g4greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:31 PM   #73
DaveKeehl

I can't wait for the next song!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #74
RDBOIS
Banned

Congratulation kgarello - I voted your mix #1 : Very well balanced mixed - at least according to my monitoring system.

Thanks for commenting on my mix. I decided not to play it safe and mix the song according to my own preferences. I'm a bit surprised that it come out as "mono", because I have guitars hard left and right and synth pan bouncing L/R. Oh well, perhaps I should mix less with headphones.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:57 PM   #75
Olli H

First I went through quickly all the submissions by looping couple of areas. This way I found quite quickly my top 5. After that I listend all of them a bit better and found my top 3. I listened each of them from stat to end.

I gave my votes to 01, 11 and 03.

My process was very subjective and quick. If I did it again, I might chose different winners.

1 + + +
Nice vox sound. Good overall balance. (Bass is probably too much in low mids, causes some muddiness.) In verses the guitar causes the weight of mix to be on the left side. Piercing bell sound. Nicely room for background sounds and effects. Spoken part is quite unclear.

Nice balanced sound in intro, but for some reason the focus is not in lead vox . Kick reverb sound is too snappy, Quite distant vox. Intro sound nice and natural. In chorus acoustic guitar is a bit disturbing.

3 +
Nice balancedand focused sound, it’s easy to listen vox.
Levels in the intro are changing quite unnaturally. One can hear the fader moves.
Moody effects used quite strongly, I like it, but some of them quite piercing. Overall groove is a bit weak in level if compare to background sounds..
Spoken part works fine to me.

Undefined bass/low end. As if compressor is working too hard. Nice different sound as the space is pretty small. I like the acoustic intro.

Quite retro and lo-fi sound. Overall space is quite undefined, especially the vox.

6+
Pretty good, guitars quite dark but natural. Natural vox sound. Low end of guitars is making the stereo field a bit restless if one listens with headphones. Overall sound maybe a bit too dark.

Rhythm section feels quite suffocated. Odd vox sound, lacks the body. Guitars have too much effects to my taste.

Quite honky space, too much reverb with vox. Still pleasant to listen, overall balances quite nice.

Vox is not in the center. Guitars moving restlessly from left to right. It takes the focus away from the lead vox. Bass makes the low mids quite crowded.

Too bright shaker and tambourine. Shaker feels disconnected from the resto of the band. Vox is a bit burried.

11++
Shaker is too loud and separate, but otherwise very nice to listen. Bg-voxes are probably too loud. What bothers me a bit, is that there’s no clear center in the mix . Spoken part very well done.

My mix

Uncontrolled low end, quite onfocused sound.

14 +
Overall sound pretty nice, but low energy of kick much too loud. I like the idea of kick driven beat, but maybe it went bit over. Probably monitors/room don’t give enough low end.
Olli H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #76
hwhalen

I don't make notes for the competition as my mix skills are limited.
The feedback I get from other's notes however are very valuable.
As I have pronounced tinnitus I realize that I'll always be better off
playing LOUD instruments as opposed to mixing them.
So I use this mix competition to try something a little different and to
experiment with some of the included effects that Reaper has, which I haven't done.
In this month's mix it appears that the ping-pong pan works quite well :-0
From these notes it should be apparent which mix is mine.
Looking forward to the next go round.

Cheers!
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #77
Grundton

Congratulations to kgarello.
These are my quick notes, that I made during voting.

01 my mix, i really should have made the guitar left-right stereo instead only left
02 good balance, kick sticks out, mix could sound warmer
03 i like this mix, good balance, nice stereo guitar, one of my favourites
04 nice vox, the whole mix is too dry and too dull
05 thin guitar, vox sounds small
06 sounds good, the whole mix could be a bit more open sounding
07 vox too thin, nice ideas with the backing voices, overall sound is too narrow
08 nice mix, vox sticks out a little
09 vox should be louder, shaker not, some weird stereo things are going on that make the mix unstable
10 guitar too loud, vox too quiet, frequency balance could be improved
11 good mix, shaker a little too loud, another favourite
12 good mix, could have more warmth, one favourite
13 vox should sound more open, kick sticks out sometimes
14 nice guitar sound, kick sounds nice but too heavy
Grundton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #78
red86549

At first, i would congratulate to kgarello... ! you do a very good mix...!

Unfortunately i don't make notes, because is my first month contest and i don't know you usually do this... next month i write also mine...!

Just two words, about my mix...

Thanks for all the notes about mine, and i'd like explain some choice.

In my mind, my references for this kind of mix was Johnny Cash, i don't know why, but i after the first listen of the song i associate this mood with the mix i would like to do.

So, my focus was principally on the guitar, trying to giving space between the vocal.

Following my idea, synths was a little more acid, and after some try i decide to reduce them to a "pad"

Vocal, was the most important of the work, i try to give presence at all the part.

Blocks in the left side was a risk i know, but in the middle give me some trouble with the voice eq, and i think to use it for giving rhythm at the groove.. maybe too much..!

Thanks to all of you that voting for me...!

See you next contest..!
Old 06-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #79
RiffStreet

Default Notes on May 2018 mixes

Nice job kgarello. While listening, I noted only that I thought the shakers were too loud in your mix; otherwise it was solid.

Here are some of the issues that jumped out at me while listening to the mixes. In other words, sounds good but...

#1: I thought the shaker was a bit too loud; at first I was skeptical of the reverb on the percussion, but it ended up sounding good; I thought the toms were too low.

#2: I was a little unsure about the hollowed-out kick drum sound; I wasn't a huge fan of the ending.

#3: I thought the percussion overall was too low; I thought the guitars were buried by the synths too much.

#4: Mix overall sounded a bit mono/too much panned up the middle.

#5: Too much in the mid range; too much ambience in the mix; good ending.

#6: Guitars too low; vocals narrow up the middle.

#7: Kick drum almost non-existent; percussion in general too low.

#8: Too much reverb on vocals; don't like rim-shot being panned; backing vocals too low.

#9: Shaker jumps out -- too loud; lead vocal not up the middle?; vocals are dry.

#10: No bottom end in guitars; guitars drown out vocals.

#11: Shakers too loud; solid otherwise.

#12: No bottom end in guitars; good otherwise.

#13: Don't like panning of rim shot.

#14: My mix. People are saying that the kick is too loud, so I will go back and listen for that. Thanks for the feedback.
RiffStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #80
DaveKeehl

Thanks a lot guys for contributing to the feedback session I'm now going to create the new thread for June. Feel free to keep sharing your mix notes if you have any