Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
stormformer
Human being with feelings

Default Buffering: Worker Thread Scheduling

Hi All, hope you're all doing well.

I am not sure if this is a bug, but here goes:

Has anyone found that v5.x Worker Thread Scheduling (as part of Reaper's buffering function) is causing timing slips? I have been working on a number of pieces that have tight and precise rhythms and finding that the percussion has little moments of slipping out of time, especially when there is a lot of PDC being used. I am using strictly quantised note data, so it's not a matter of misperceiving humanised 'looseness'. All other buffering settings are set at their defaults.

When I change the settings to check "Use old v4.x worker thread scheduling" -bang- the timing problems go away. The tip states that this check could be 'advantageous in certain circumstances', so I'm wondering what those circumstances could be. Perhaps it relates to PDC and specific poorly coded plugins? Or is the v5.x buffering buggy?

Please let me know if more information is required to make sense.

Cheers.
stormformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 AM   #2
stormformer

Actually... Now I'm getting timing slips in both modes of work thread scheduling. Apologies for the confusion.

I think I may have solved the problem by increasing the anticipative FX processing rendering ahead buffer from 200ms to 400ms.

Either way, it would be good to know if anyone else has had similar difficulties so that light may be shed on the subject. Thank you for your patience.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
stormformer

Another update:

I am still getting this unpredictable bug no matter what I set the buffer amount to. I must admit I'm currently stumped. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

ADDIT: Same issues seem to be happening when rendering the songs.

Last edited by stormformer; 08-26-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
stormformer

Another update:

I have found via a lot of experimentation with the settings the only thing that (so far) has a positive impact is increasing the Read Buffers from 3 to 6 (located in the Advanced Disk I/O Options). The improvement is significant, although I'm still testing to see if rhythmic playback is flawless.

Considering the nature of the issue, I have realised that it could be any number of factors that might be causing the glitch: could be a certain plugin. Could be my hardware (I am using a Firewire soundcard that 'hosts' two optical-connected Mytek converters (ADC and DAC), perhaps there are jitter problems but that would not explain the errors being produced during Offline rendering. Could be my setup of Win10.

Another interesting experiment that did not yeild any results was to re-order the tracks by value of PDC. I'm wondering is it common for plugins to not report their PDC correctly?

Drumatic 4 seems to be a repeat-offender for this sort of bug. If I freeze that track to a new stem I get no errors (in combination with the aforementioned increased Read Buffers)

Again, thank you for your patience. Any technical insight to this mystery would be greatly appreciated.