Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Pinknoise
Human being with feelings

Default ALSA: error setting input device format bit

This is message I get when trying ALSA with my interface. I tried various settings but nothing works any idea what can be doing this ?

I already posted in another thread but I wanted this specific issue to be highlighted.

I have not been able to use ALSA in Reaper with my interface: NI Session

I can select ALSA in Reaper on a Vanilla install of any distro, then select my interface for ins and outs but when I hit apply:
ALSA: error setting input device format bits

I tried many distros currently the best for my setup is Xubuntu and also trying on the side Manjaro-RT cinnamon.

Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.4, Nvidia Geforce GTX1050Ti, Reaper 5,99 16gig RAM, Kingdian 480gig SSD
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
Pinknoise

The easy answer buy an interface that is working with ALSA in Reaper out of the box.

The not so easy answer, try multiple terminal commands, change some command line in text edit from some folders in your distro, and some other stuff.

Probably until I buy another interface I will not bother with it. I learned a lot about Linux in the last months it's a great backup in case I need it still works ok enough for some light music work but if I need some heavy plugins in realtime it breaks quickly.

I have a little NI Session usb interface for portability but my main interface is a MR816x firewire so my almost supported usb interface is mostly to blame for my troubles in Linux.

Time to play with my toys enough newbie coding for now.

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20870
Old 01-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Glennbo

I used a pair of old M-Audio Delta 2496 cards when I switched completely to Xubuntu a little over a year ago, and I had to use JACK with them to make them work properly in REAPER, but there was no performance hit because I ran those cards at 64 samples latency with only 2 periods and they were stable under heavy loads.

After some dicking around with things I did finally get ASLA to work with those cards, but not midi and the results were identical to what I was getting using JACK.

Since then I bought an 8 input rack mount Behringer UMC1820 and on the first try REAPER saw both audio and midi with it using ALSA at low latency, but that unit is twenty years newer than the M-Audio cards I was previously using.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 AM   #4
Pinknoise

Yes this NI Session is probably close to 10 years old now and my Steinberg MR816x also.
They are enough for me right now and they work well.

I also have a Apogee Duet and Motu MK3 is there a possibility to make those work with ffadock you think and will it give decent latency ?

I was planing on buying a Behringer for extra inputs (and change Firewire to usb for convenience) not a big fan but since they changed preamps for Midas and supposedly got their stuff straight with drivers it seems like a good unit at decent price.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
Glennbo

I'm super happy with my Behringer UMC1820 and keep looking at their ADA8200 eight channel expander unit, even though I really don't need another 8 Midas preamps.

As far as JACK vs ALSA, I saw identical latency using either in REAPER with my M-Audio cards, but since switching to the UMC1820 I removed all traces of JACK and only have ALSA available for REAPER.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
Drumfix

The NI devices use the caiaq driver, which use the rather uncommon format S24_3BE.
This is apparently not supported yet in reaper.
Drumfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfix View Post
The NI devices use the caiaq driver, which use the rather uncommon format S24_3BE.
This is apparently not supported yet in reaper.
Too bad, you think it would work in Mixbus or another Linux Daw ?
(shame on me from bringing that up in a Reaper forum, the thought of using,learning another daw is so foreign and useless since my weding with Reaper)
Old 01-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm super happy with my Behringer UMC1820 and keep looking at their ADA8200 eight channel expander unit, even though I really don't need another 8 Midas preamps.

As far as JACK vs ALSA, I saw identical latency using either in REAPER with my M-Audio cards, but since switching to the UMC1820 I removed all traces of JACK and only have ALSA available for REAPER.
Wich is the latest Behringer usb interface ?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
JamesPeters

I tried a UMC204HD and it sounded pretty good to me. I'd say it's within the same range as the Steinberg UR22 in general. The MR816X has a certain sound to its D/A that you might prefer, although the D/A of the MR816X isn't exactly as neutral as it can be (it has some EQ emphases that sound nice, and a lot of people like that about it).

It's too bad the MR816X doesn't work in Linux (that I know of). I had one, and sold it as I was switching to Linux.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Wich is the latest Behringer usb interface ?
They have several versions in the UMC lineup ranging from mono input stereo units to the eight input one like I use. All of them have at least one Midas mic preamp which are very clean.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...mc&sb=low2high

-