Old 02-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Cheek7
Human being with feelings

Default Reamping Issues

Hello, I am taking a journey through reamping but am having trouble. The DI isn't changing through my gear, figured it might be a routing issue through Reaper, but i am not sure.

Chain
Apollo USB Apollo Twin (Line out 3) > Radial JCR reamp box (into Balanced input) > Peavey 6505+ (from output into front of amp) > Two Notes Torpedo Live (into the speaker input) > Back into Apollo (Mic line 1 from the line out of Two Notes via 1/4 inch/XLR cable)

Does that chain sound incorrectly set up? Would you know how to set up the routing in Reaper? Like, I need to be walked through every possible step. I am a tad bit inept when it comes to these sort of things

I am assuming it is a routing issue
Cheek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Pinknoise

Do you have record button and monitor button on ?

Input 1 selected ( if going into input 1 of interface)

Not sure about the Torpedo but the chain seems ok.
Pinknoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Cheek7

Yeah, that is all on
Old 02-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
Pinknoise

Are you sure you have a signal coming out the interface ?
Is there a headphone jack on the Torpedo where you hear the reamp before it goes back out in the interface ?
Old 02-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
Cheek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Is there a headphone jack on the Torpedo where you hear the reamp before it goes back out in the interface ?
I'll have to check
Old 02-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
Cheek7

Quote:
I checked and I hooked my headphones to my two notes, and I get a DI signal, but not the reamped signal
Old 02-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
Pinknoise

Maybe there is an option to hear the dry signal on the torpedo, lix a mix button or something ?

You should hear the 6505 at least unless you are outputing the 6505 from the wrong place. If you plug the 6505 into a cab it works ?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
Cheek7

Quote:
Maybe there is an option to hear the dry signal on the torpedo, lix a mix button or something ?

You should hear the 6505 at least unless you are outputing the 6505 from the wrong place. If you plug the 6505 into a cab it works ?
If i plug the rig into my interface directly like to record normally, it works. But for some reason my attempts at reamping has been fruitless. I am assuming a routing issue, and i don't know how ReaInsert works
Old 02-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
Cheek7

Quote:

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....9&d=1580932806

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....0&d=1580932806

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1580932806

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....2&d=1580932851

https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....8&d=1580932806

These are some screenshots I took of the Master bus, the right and left guitar, and the reamp tracks respectfully
Old 02-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
domzy

as mentioned in your other thread, it's difficult to get a handle of what's going on by looking at pics of internal routing.
One thing that does possibly look a tiny bit iffy though, is that your first & last pics show a hardware out to "line 3". Is this a mono output? It's being fed by stereo tracks with wide panning, by the looks of it?
Have you tried seeing if you can send from a simple, single mono guitar track?

Even then, i don't see how this stereo into mono thing would have any effect, it could possibly kill the signal in some circumstances, but as you can hear a signal i'm stumped.

Last edited by domzy; 02-08-2020 at 11:55 AM.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheek7 View Post
If i plug the rig into my interface directly like to record normally, it works. But for some reason my attempts at reamping has been fruitless. I am assuming a routing issue, and i don't know how ReaInsert works
why are you assuming a routing issue if you know that the DI signal is coming out?

I think there's probably a tutorial video for ReaInsert on youtube or from Kenny.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #12
ashcat_lt

Delete the sends from the guitar tracks to the reamp tracks. They will be redundant.

Remove as many variables as possible. Take both the reamp box and the torpedo out. Make sure the speaker is connected to the amp properly. Plug in a guitar. That works?

Take the cable out of your guitar and plug it into the interface line 3 output. Solo your left guitar track and push play. The left guitar comes out of the amp? Adjust the hardware send if it seems too loud. Don’t worry much if there’s a little buzz when nothing’s playing, but if it’s nothing but noise, there’s something else wrong.

Now reconnect the torpedo. Arm the left reamp track and hit record. Does that record anything? You should get a good hot signal. Adjust things so it doesn’t clip. If there seems to be a lot more buzz than you heard through the amp, flip the ground lift on the torpedo and see if that helps.

Now remember when we first plugged the interface into the amp and said don’t worry if it buzzes some? If it really did buzz when nothing was playing, then you need the reamp. Otherwise, you can just leave it out.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
Cheek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Delete the sends from the guitar tracks to the reamp tracks. They will be redundant.

Remove as many variables as possible. Take both the reamp box and the torpedo out. Make sure the speaker is connected to the amp properly. Plug in a guitar. That works?

Take the cable out of your guitar and plug it into the interface line 3 output. Solo your left guitar track and push play. The left guitar comes out of the amp? Adjust the hardware send if it seems too loud. Don’t worry much if there’s a little buzz when nothing’s playing, but if it’s nothing but noise, there’s something else wrong.

Now reconnect the torpedo. Arm the left reamp track and hit record. Does that record anything? You should get a good hot signal. Adjust things so it doesn’t clip. If there seems to be a lot more buzz than you heard through the amp, flip the ground lift on the torpedo and see if that helps.

Now remember when we first plugged the interface into the amp and said don’t worry if it buzzes some? If it really did buzz when nothing was playing, then you need the reamp. Otherwise, you can just leave it out.
So i hooked up the interface to the amp and the signal is indeed coming through the speakers and is able to be messed around with, however when i hooked it back up to the two notes and the reamp and everything, no sound is getting to the monitors at all, nothing is recorded either, very odd
Old 02-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
ashcat_lt

So when did you lose it? Is it the reamp or the torpedo?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #15
Cheek7

Quote:
So when did you lose it? Is it the reamp or the torpedo?
Well i don't have a mic to replace the two notes from the signal chain, so honestly it could be either, I have no bloody clue
Old 02-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #16
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheek7 View Post
Well i don't have a mic to replace the two notes from the signal chain, so honestly it could be either, I have no bloody clue
You could at least prove whether it’s the reamp or not.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #17
Cheek7

Quote:
You could at least prove whether it’s the reamp or not.
How would I check that? Sorry I am pretty dim when it comes to audio hardware, and my problem is so specific i haven't found a solution yet
Old 02-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #18
Pinknoise

Plug the head into a cabinet.
Or at least listen to the signal coming out the interface with headphones.
Plug the headphones in the output of the interface it's been sent to.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #19
Cheek7

Quote:
Plug the head into a cabinet.
Or at least listen to the signal coming out the interface with headphones.
Plug the headphones in the output of the interface it's been sent to.
plugged the headphones into the output that is connected to the reamp box and there is indeed a signal going out to the reamp box. I've tried switching the cables out, messing with the volume level, pretty much everything i can think of, to no avail
Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #20
Pinknoise

Seems like the problem lies between the torpedo and the interface.
Once the reamped signal is plugged into the torpedo is there a headphone plug in the torpedo ? You should hear the reamped signal there before going in the interface.
If it works into headphones/torpedo, then you need to make sure the output of the torpedo is set right to send signal into the interface.