Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
jesussaddle
Human being with feelings

Default Visually Impaired - Theme Adjuster- Edit Track Backgrounds

Hello,

Prior to Reaper 6 I had numerous changes I needed to make in the themes. I never got into the fancy work of changing out image files - it was enough to adjust certain colors in the theme development/tweaker.

The only colors I really need to adjust in the Reaper 6 Default Theme are the Track Background (odd & even) colors, which are too dark for me to properly see a contrast when viewing the vertical grid lines.

In the Theme Adjuster I don't see a way to change this - but when I change colors like I did before, using the theme development/tweaker, it removes the possibility of benefiting from the other nice features of the Theme Adjuster (I guess it breaks the connection to the script since I've saved to a new theme.) So I guess its possible to copy the 6 Default Theme and rename it as a backup; then edit the 6 Default theme file, and then still be able to adjust the colors using the theme development/tweaker. It would be nice to know if there are any pitfalls with this (or if it will even work). I don't see info on it, so I'm just posting this in hopes others with eyesight issues can find it. I'll attempt what I suggested to see if it works - but may check back here in case someone has insights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbyMQJBLCew
jesussaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
jesussaddle

Okay, yeah, it seems to have worked. First I created my theme that I would be using. Then I switched to using the Default 6 Theme. And then closed Reaper. Then I just was careful to make a copy of the default 6 reaper theme zip file [Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip] and move it to the safe backup folder. Then I unpacked my copy. Then I replaced the "unpacked file" with my edited theme file- naming it "Default_6.0_unpacked.ReaperTheme". I then used 7 zip to zip that, plus the folder that was unpacked with it, into a new archive, and renamed that archive to "Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip". Notice it doesn't say .zip - there is no dot. Then I just put this last file into the Color Themes folder. Now I have my new theme but I can use the Theme Adjuster to tweak it further.

(It seems to just work as a template - IOW when I create a new project file it reverts to creating a new Default 6 theme somehow - which no longer has my changes. But when I open up my project file that I was working on, it both uses my version of the default file, and allows me to use the Theme Ajuster, but retains my color changes.)

NOT TO CONFUSE THIS FURTHER - BECAUSE I'M NOT REALLY SURE HOW THIS IS WORKING AND NOT WORKING AT THE SAME TIME (UNLESS AS i SAID IT REVERTS TO CREATING A NEW DEFAULT 6 THEME.)

But until I noticed that new project files didn't retain the theme change - I was thinking there was an even easier way - probably just to make a copy in a backup folder and then use the theme dev tweaker to name the file and over-write it. In the end maybe I'm learning something.

Last edited by jesussaddle; 04-08-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
xpander

I suggest giving your new edited theme some other name than Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip. That's the name of the default theme, so any time your install a new Reaper version, that theme of yours will get overwritten with the real default theme.

Why you couldn't use the Theme adjuster with your edited theme is another issue and this is not really the way to fix that.

Shortly, you can use the Theme adjuster script with any edited/renamed default v6 theme that you have saved in the Theme tweaker. For these themes, Theme adjuster is grayed out on top of Theme menu, but it will work when you call the script from the Actions list. (Script: Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua)

You could also copy this Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua script, give it the name of your edited theme and place it back to the Scripts/Cockos folder. Then the Theme adjuster is accessible for this specific theme also from the Theme menu.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
jesussaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I suggest giving your new edited theme some other name than Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip. That's the name of the default theme, so any time your install a new Reaper version, that theme of yours will get overwritten with the real default theme.

Why you couldn't use the Theme adjuster with your edited theme is another issue and this is not really the way to fix that.

Shortly, you can use the Theme adjuster script with any edited/renamed default v6 theme that you have saved in the Theme tweaker. For these themes, Theme adjuster is grayed out on top of Theme menu, but it will work when you call the script from the Actions list. (Script: Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua)

You could also copy this Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua script, give it the name of your edited theme and place it back to the Scripts/Cockos folder. Then the Theme adjuster is accessible for this specific theme also from the Theme menu.
Hi. The point of my effort was to be able to use Theme Adjuster and this is the only way I found that I could do it. But you sound as though you have much more accurate ways to go about it, which I will have to explore to see if I understand. I was grabbing a bite and just wanted to thank you in the mean time. Cheers!

Okay, I tried both suggestions, and the latter one has the benefit for me that it seems to retain my adjustment to my theme, no called "A Little Easier To See (and as a bonus give further access to the Theme Adjuster from the Options Themes Menu also, even though the Action Script is arguably just as quick to reach via hotkey)

Last edited by jesussaddle; 04-08-2020 at 06:50 PM.