Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I have a question about a Kenny Gioia video - I would appreciate your help

I am watching a video of Kenny's and could use some clarification on something. The video is about Gain Staging. Between time stamp 2:40 - 2:50 in the video, he is demonstrating that he is turning up the volume until just before distortion because he likes BIG waveforms.

Here is the URL for the video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5efick6yJA4

In the video if you look at where he is going to do this adjustment, there is what is a volume knob as well as what looks like a toggle with the letter 'M' (I assume for MUTING the track). From what I can see, when he goes to adjust that volume a popup label comes up that says 'Item Volume'.

I have Reaper version: v5.70/x64 rev 7ff7ec (Dec 12 2017)

First, am I right about it being 'Item Volume'?
Is there another term used for this too, like one I can find on the Envelops menu?

If not, what do I need to do to get the item volume knob as well as that letter 'M' next to the track title like in the video?

I would be grateful for any input anyone has to clarify the volume adjustment he is using.
Please, when you do answer, let me know what menu I can find the option I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Steven
Berkeley, CA USA
Old 01-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
I am watching a video of Kenny's and could use some clarification on something. The video is about Gain Staging. Between time stamp 2:40 - 2:50 in the video, he is demonstrating that he is turning up the volume until just before distortion because he likes BIG waveforms.

Here is the URL for the video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5efick6yJA4

In the video if you look at where he is going to do this adjustment, there is what is a volume knob as well as what looks like a toggle with the letter 'M' (I assume for MUTING the track). From what I can see, when he goes to adjust that volume a popup label comes up that says 'Item Volume'.

I have Reaper version: v5.70/x64 rev 7ff7ec (Dec 12 2017)

First, am I right about it being 'Item Volume'?
Is there another term used for this too, like one I can find on the Envelops menu?

If not, what do I need to do to get the item volume knob as well as that letter 'M' next to the track title like in the video?

I would be grateful for any input anyone has to clarify the volume adjustment he is using.
Please, when you do answer, let me know what menu I can find the option I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Steven
Berkeley, CA USA

You can't believe everything you see on YouTube.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
You can't believe everything you see on YouTube.
This is true, what Kenney is showing are some of the possibilities, not exactly what you should necessarily do.

I only use the "Item Volume" to bring up what i think is a weak signal, not necessarily to have a bigger wave form. I consider it the first volume control in the whole series of volume controls.

If you want to see the wave forms higher or lower, use "Shift+Up/down-Arrow" to raise and lower them.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
sjs94704

Default I found what I was looking for! ................

Here is the URL to a video explaining what I was asking about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUpGaSYYadw
Old 01-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
planetnine

It’s called “item volume”, although I would venture the more preferential term “item gain”. This knob and the mute buttons can be enabled in Preferences.

You won’t find it in track automation, because it’s an item (or take) parameter, you can automate it from item (take) envelopes.

Hope this is helpful.

>
Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
It’s called “item volume”, although I would venture the more preferential term “item gain”. This knob and the mute buttons can be enabled in Preferences.

You won’t find it in track automation, because it’s an item (or take) parameter, you can automate it from item (take) envelopes.

Hope this is helpful.

>
Yeah, it's a gripe of mine that REAPER uses the term "volume".

Steven: if you open REAPER's preferences, under Appearance>Media, you can see "Item Volume Control".

I use item gain knobs to create a basic static mix before moving faders.

I am usually turning items down, but you can use shift+up or down arrow to zoom the waveform size shown in items.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
planetnine

To clarify:
The shift up/down actions are waveform zooming and independent of the actual waveform's gain.

The knob is item gain and affects the item and all takes withn it; the envelope is take gain and is for individual takes within an item (obviously, this is synonymous for one-take items).

>
Old 01-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post

Slightly OT: The pre-fx envelope comes right after item volume IIRC so one rule of thumb is use item volume for whole item gain changes/adjustment but pre-fx for the initial leveling out of more dynamic content so the compressor further down the chain doesn't need to work so hard. That makes the item gain automation envelope less needed IMHO. Common knowledge to most but it is the tips and tricks sub forum.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Slightly OT: The pre-fx envelope comes right after item volume IIRC so one rule of thumb is use item volume for whole item gain changes/adjustment but pre-fx for the initial leveling out of more dynamic content so the compressor further down the chain doesn't need to work so hard. That makes the item gain automation envelope less needed IMHO. Common knowledge to most but it is the tips and tricks sub forum.

Yes, not OT at all, good call Karbo.

>
Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

I guess I prefer the take volume envelope when I'm trying to level out audio items because you can see it applied to the waveforms. PreFX envelope is for more "Automation" type tasks where I want to adjust the level of that already leveled material before some effect where it matters. I might use PreFX V to push a section of a track harder into its compressor, or as a "boost pedal" before an amp sim, or maybe on a delay or reverb track where I want to take things in and out but not mess up the tails.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I guess I prefer the take volume envelope when I'm trying to level out audio items because you can see it applied to the waveforms. PreFX envelope is for more "Automation" type tasks where I want to adjust the level of that already leveled material before some effect where it matters. I might use PreFX V to push a section of a track harder into its compressor, or as a "boost pedal" before an amp sim, or maybe on a delay or reverb track where I want to take things in and out but not mess up the tails.
I feel the same as I like the waveform to reflect item gain but PreFx vol envelope affects the item waveform too, that's actually one of it's advantages for me - good info nonetheless.