Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Trancit
Human being with feelings

Default Hard time to decide: Reaper or Studio One 4

I know, omg another vs. thread... but I got really my difficulties to decide between these 2...
No offense here against Reaper neither although if listing my personal pros and cons got Reaper more and more hard times here...

For me, Studio One is a lot more "ready to use" for both GUI and functionality... everything is simply more streamlined
The provided instruments especially the ImpactXT and SampleOne with their native integration are a big pro for me too, as are the integrated fx... everything is very useable out of the box... including browsing exiting projects and be able to import, tracks, fx, complete structures... musicloop and audioloop export/import are great, preset management for native and 3rd party plugins is exemplary, chord track...etc...etc...
I wish I could tell that about Reaper...

Tbh, in the last few years Presonus was for me one of the most innovative DAW company if not the most innovative one...
Every update brought great new features and a well done implementation while Cockos fell more and more behind, having had a great start, turned all new implementation more and more into a meh...
Old issues were ignored and more and more nerd stuff implemented, and the new direction turning everything into a second class Vegas clone doesn´t help neither...

Nevertheless is Reaper still a tad ahead when it comes to it´s flexibility and the mouse modifiers are great...

I know here are a lot ex S1 users...
What were special reasons for you leaving a great DAW behind and go with Reaper...
Do I miss something, which can lead into a trap when diggin deeper into S1??
Really curious here
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
grinder

Unless you are making a heap of money with Reaper surely
Reaper is cheap enough to try them both?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Trancit

That´s not the question...

I own Reaper since long time and know it quite well...
I know Studio One too, but perhaps 50% of my knowledge of Reaper...

I am looking for some insights, which I missed perhaps so far...
and in my opinion the best source are people who did the move for some special reasons... (while the majority will claim about the CPU problems S1 got before...)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancit View Post
That´s not the question...

I own Reaper since long time and know it quite well...
I know Studio One too, but perhaps 50% of my knowledge of Reaper...

I am looking for some insights, which I missed perhaps so far...
and in my opinion the best source are people who did the move for some special reasons... (while the majority will claim about the CPU problems S1 got before...)
If Studio One does everything you need and you don't see yourself ever needing to expand then go for it. I think of Reaper as like the difference between Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL Server. Sure Microsoft Access is much easier to get going for making a database but after a while once you start to really use it and begin asking it to do harder tasks it won't be able to.

The customization is obviously the power of Reaper and for anybody who has demands that go beyond simple recording there really isn't any other system out there that offers such an incredible level of customisation. Of course it's a double-edged sword. Reaper is not a flower to be picked but a mountain to be climbed but most of us here are not happy with flowers and have to get to the top of the mountain.

The best one is the one that allows you to make the most music.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Reaper is the only DAW out there for tinkerers and tweakers. If you don't like to tweak and tinker, you probably won't find your home here....

And since you referred to some of Reaper's best qualities as "nerd stuff" it seems you already have an answer to your question.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
If Studio One does everything you need and you don't see yourself ever needing to expand then go for it. I think of Reaper as like the difference between Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL Server. Sure Microsoft Access is much easier to get going for making a database but after a while once you start to really use it and begin asking it to do harder tasks it won't be able to.

The customization is obviously the power of Reaper and for anybody who has demands that go beyond simple recording there really isn't any other system out there that offers such an incredible level of customisation. Of course it's a double-edged sword. Reaper is not a flower to be picked but a mountain to be climbed but most of us here are not happy with flowers and have to get to the top of the mountain.

The best one is the one that allows you to make the most music.
Good comparison... thx
Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Good comparison... thx
And to elaborate just a bit when I look at any technology I really have to think about how deeply I want to go into it. For example I have a choice between buying a helix guitar processor that has a million different effects and guitar amps in it or I can buy a marshall dsl40cr that basically has a couple of distorted sounds. Well next week I should be picking up the Marshall if all goes well because it has just the sounds I need. It does not have a huge amount of flexibility but has exactly what I need.

I currently have the 15 watt version of the Marshall amp and it's fantastic so I know this will be a good fit for me. The trick with any technology is figuring out whether you need something to grow with or whether it offers exactly what you need. When everyone was buying 4K televisions I bought the 1080p at discount and I'm very happy with the picture quality and don't have to pay an upcharge with the cable company
Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
martifingers

I hope this discussion does not put off people new to Reaper. I actually found Reaper easier to use on a basic level than Cubase which I was trying at the time. Adding FX for instance is as simple as it can be surely. And the one-track-is-anything idea does a great job of hiding complexity from the user in a way.
Of course Reaper can be customised as much as you like but I think it's probably no more difficult to start with than any other DAW.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
Dr Bob

I'm in the camp in that Reaper does what I want it to do simply. My requirements are simple and basic and so any DAW would do for me. But … I know that if there's anything more complex in the future that I may need, then I have faith that Reaper will also cover that for me.

In other words, if my needs grow, then I am pretty sure Reaper will allow me to cope adequately.

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Aymara

I have both and love S1V4 already more, thanks to the new chord track and other gimmicks for composers, but I would recommend to compare yourself ... both DAWs have a fully functional demo.

For me personally these two DAWs are an unbeatable pair, both with their own strengths.

PS: Btw, the days of a bad CPU management in S1 seem to be over with V4.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Sambo Rouge

Before any of you rush off to download the free version you should know Studio One only offers 64 bit.

Most of the world is still 32 but this will obviously change -- in the meantime the old school 32 ers will be left out in the cold my many developers.

Sorta like electric cars v internal combustion.

Sigh! Walks off to have a coffee stroking his greying hair.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
poetnprophet

There are a lot of converts to S1 from many DAWs. When I was using Cakewalk, there were many who jumped that ship and had lots of great things to say about S1. When it was time for me to leave CW, my top choices were S1, Cubase, and Reaper. I ditched Cubase for the price alone and took a look at S1. I will admit, I did jump in with some preconceptions and that may have hurt my chances with it, but immediately I found myself a bit lost. The screen was very busy, I wasn't really feeling the layout or the color set, and for me it wasn't very intuitive to get to work. Note that, I did not watch any videos or tutorials, I just tried to dive right in as I could with other DAWs I mentioned, and it didn't work for me.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Trancit

Thx for the insight...
Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Before any of you rush off to download the free version you should know Studio One only offers 64 bit.

Most of the world is still 32 but this will obviously change -- in the meantime the old school 32 ers will be left out in the cold my many developers.

Sorta like electric cars v internal combustion.

Sigh! Walks off to have a coffee stroking his greying hair.
Most of the world on 32 bit? Not likely in the DAW community at this point. New development of 32bit plugins is almost non-existent now. If you are running 32 bit you are already a distant speck in the rear view mirror. Anything of substance in the DAW community being released now is 64 bit. And the memory restrictions/limitations of a 32 bit OS alone are reason enough to abandon it.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
Most of the world on 32 bit? Not likely in the DAW community at this point. New development of 32bit plugins is almost non-existent now. If you are running 32 bit you are already a distant speck in the rear view mirror. Anything of substance in the DAW community being released now is 64 bit. And the memory restrictions/limitations of a 32 bit OS alone are reason enough to abandon it.
Thats what I was thinking.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #16
CuddyMcC

I really don’t get the learning curve issue with Reaper for the vast majority of the tasks I would undertake on a day-to-day basis - but maybe that’s to do with the type of music I’m making.

Coming from other daws, I found it fairly easy to get used to. Like other daws you need to understand where to find the menu option, shortcuts, and actions to achieve what you want - but that’s part of the process of using a new tool.

I’ve used Studio One - although not v4 - and it’s a fine daw, but it suffered from the curse afflicting so many other; drop outs, bugs, and occasional performance issue. I acknowledge that may have changed with v4.

Most of the main daws now offer similar functionality IMO, the key differentiator is stability - a lack of which is a killer for the creative process. I’ve had one issue since I started using reaper, and it’s a performance issue with one of the plate reverb plugins which I love the sound of, but has noted problems with cpu spikes - nothing to do with the daw.

But, whatever works best for you - use it.
CuddyMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #17
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyMcC View Post
I really don’t get the learning curve issue with Reaper for the vast majority of the tasks I would undertake on a day-to-day basis - but maybe that’s to do with the type of music I’m making.

Coming from other daws, I found it fairly easy to get used to. Like other daws you need to understand where to find the menu option, shortcuts, and actions to achieve what you want - but that’s part of the process of using a new tool.

I’ve used Studio One - although not v4 - and it’s a fine daw, but it suffered from the curse afflicting so many other; drop outs, bugs, and occasional performance issue. I acknowledge that may have changed with v4.

Most of the main daws now offer similar functionality IMO, the key differentiator is stability - a lack of which is a killer for the creative process. I’ve had one issue since I started using reaper, and it’s a performance issue with one of the plate reverb plugins which I love the sound of, but has noted problems with cpu spikes - nothing to do with the daw.

But, whatever works best for you - use it.
It´s not about the learning curve... that´s mostly far behind me... at least for the most common stuff...

In comparison to S1, Reaper out of the box lacks a lot of basic functionality of features, which are important to me... for instance mixdown selection (extended bounce in place in many other DAWs), native slicing of drumloops to a native sampler device...etc...etc...

And that is where it starts to get complicated...
While Reapers devs are more interested in adding video editing functionality, are others expanding their products with (for audio production) more helpful features and Presonus is a prime example for that...

Every user, who wants to close these gaps, now have to fiddel around with all the scripts, macros, custom actions trying to cobble together, what others are bringing on the table out of the box...
Sometimes it works, sometimes it stays more or less a workaround but overall I find this situation very frustrating...

Sadly, I don´t have any clue from programming.. if I could I would put together my own stuff but I cannot... I am stuck with the need having someone else doing this for me...
I find the community work more than generous... all these genious people putting expansion toghether and sharing them for free... big respect for that...
My bad, that most of them aren´t interested in stuff I need... 95% of scripts I´ve seen are absolutely useless to me...
Old 12-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #18
Eddy

Quote:

And that is where it starts to get complicated...
While Reapers devs are more interested in adding video editing functionality, are others expanding their products with (for audio production) more helpful features and Presonus is a prime example for that...
yeah the video editing makes Reaper development seem a bit too much like a vanity project. Hopefullly V6 will give a clearer "picture" of where development is heading
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
azslow3

There was many such discussions on Cakewalk forum. And every time the conclusion was simple: use both
Every good program has some advantages and no single program can do everything.
People use phones, tables, notebooks and desktops. Strictly speaking all of them are computers, most even with similar CPUs. But there is no reason to use just one device for everything...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
yeah the video editing makes Reaper development seem a bit too much like a vanity project. Hopefullly V6 will give a clearer "picture" of where development is heading
I hope for everybody making just music with Reaper, that I am wrong...
Old 12-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
tls11823

The inclusion of video was based on requests from many among the user community; it was not a vanity project.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #22
machinesworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
The inclusion of video was based on requests from many among the user community; it was not a vanity project.
I'm not a huge user of video in general, but I definitely would be shocked if Reaper wasn't capable of working with video. That's a huge area of music making, film, that Reaper wouldn't be able to do.

I own DP9, Logic, Live, MPC2 and Reaper. Reaper by far is the most full featured of the pack. I doubt that Studio One is as feature packed, and it's definitely not as CPU efficient. If there's a particular feature that Studio One does better, that's cool, Live for instance is much easier to use in terms of time stretching audio, loops etc.
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #23
stillshaded

I bought studio one after becoming frustrated with many of the rediculous shortcomings of FL studio.

Studio one is certainly a terrific program and I think it will work well for the majority of users. However I'm very "ocd" about workflow, and I was missing some of the rather ingenious UI elements of fl studio. In the end it was the piano roll that made me ditch studio one. It's very good, but I just despise the whole switching between the arrow and draw tool thing. There were a few other aspects of the piano roll that just felt clunky to me as well.

It took about a month of studying and tweaking to set up Reaper to my liking, but now I feel like I have the best of both worlds. On top of that, I've started to come up with ideas for macros that have to do with my particular way of working that are really speeding up my workflow. There isn't much I can see studio one doing better than reaper, and there are a lot things I can do in reaper that aren't possible in S1 or FLS.

I also, don't really care for studio ones built in instruments. There are free alternatives that are better.

Basically, I'll echo what others have said, if nothing erks you about S1, go for it. Some things erked me about it and I'm really glad I've landed on reaper.
stillshaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #24
jinotsuh

"Reaper is the only DAW out there for tinkerers and tweakers. If you don't like to tweak and tinker, you probably won't find your home here....

And since you referred to some of Reaper's best qualities as "nerd stuff" it seems you already have an answer to your question. "

That's pretty good stuff right there, although you can tinker with scripts etc to a lesser degree in S1, but for what I do I don't need to, S1 does everything I want or need with ease (I could also accomplish what I need in REAPER, but not with the same ease, and certainly not with the same enjoyment, I do know my way around REAPER).

I started using REAPER back in 2008, no doubt it is extremely powerful and customizable, but the power in a lot of cases is not obvious to most who aren't that way inclined. It's a bit like Windows and Linux, where Windows is S1 and Linux is REAPER, I have seen a lot of people refer to REAPER as "The Linux of the DAW world", and that's not to far off the mark. I had my time with Linux, 3 or 4 years worth, never again.

To me REAPER is just not as enjoyable environment to be in, it looks like ... well it's plain ugly, the endless menus (I know you can alter all that if you choose) I never found a theme that I really liked, couldn't be bothered and had no inclination or desire to learn how to make my own, l always ended up back on the default for various reasons.

For me Studio One is just a joy to work in, to me everything looks good, the stock plugins look good and are of excellent quality, not looking like something from last century, I know looks are only skin deep etc etc, but it does makes the experience much more enjoyable and appealing. It's very intuitive, fast, rock solid, I've only had 1 crash in over 3 and a half years (due to trying to load Cakewalk's new(ish)LP EQ and Comp plugins, the irony that my only crash was caused by a Cakewalk product was not lost on me). I started with the release of Studio One 3 Pro, I've never experienced the high CPU usage people talk about, never had an issue with it personally.

So my choice would be, and is Studio One Pro, and it will remain that way until something comes along that appeals to me more. In the end it's all pretty much a personal thing, use whatever does what you need, in the way that you want, in an environment that you enjoy and feel comfortable in.

I always have REAPER as a backup, but never really fire it up, only to check in briefly every now and then.

Last edited by jinotsuh; 12-19-2018 at 11:41 PM.
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #25
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
Correct ... 32 bit stuff dies and Reaper 64 Bit can easily handle 32 bit plugins. And S1 should also be able to.

Because macOS Mojave will be the last version to support 32 bit software, I checked my installed software, incl. plugins, and around 95% are already 64 bit.

So, sorry to say that, but the thesis above, that most plugins would be still 32 bit is complete nonsense, except when using outdated free stuff.

Chris
Old 12-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #26
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Reaper by far is the most full featured of the pack. I doubt that Studio One is as feature packed, and it's definitely not as CPU efficient.
It‘s obvious, that you didn‘t try out S1 V4

CPU efficiency is hugely improved as it seems compared to V3 and features like chord and arranger track are huge advantages for composers. The composition features alone let‘s me prefer S1 over Reaper.

But here we see, that it depends on the individual needs ... a mastering engineer for example has different needs, than a composer.

Chris
Old 12-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #27
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post

That's pretty good stuff right there, although you can tinker with scripts etc to a lesser degree in S1, but for what I do I don't need to, S1 does everything I want or need with ease (I could also accomplish what I need in REAPER, but not with the same ease, and certainly not with the same enjoyment, I do know my way around REAPER).

I started using REAPER back in 2008, no doubt it is extremely powerful and customizable, but the power in a lot of cases is not obvious to most who aren't that way inclined. It's a bit like Windows and Linux, where Windows is S1 and Linux is REAPER, I have seen a lot of people refer to REAPER as "The Linux of the DAW world", and that's not to far off the mark. I had my time with Linux, 3 or 4 years worth, never again.

To me REAPER is just not as enjoyable environment to be in, it looks like ... well it's plain ugly, the endless menus (I know you can alter all that if you choose) I never found a theme that I really liked, couldn't be bothered and had no inclination or desire to learn how to make my own, l always ended up back on the default for various reasons.

For me Studio One is just a joy to work in, to me everything looks good, the stock plugins look good and are of excellent quality, not looking like something from last century, I know looks are only skin deep etc etc, but it does makes the experience much more enjoyable and appealing. It's very intuitive, fast, rock solid, I've only had 1 crash in over 3 and a half years (due to trying to load Cakewalk's new(ish)LP EQ and Comp plugins, the irony that my only crash was caused by a Cakewalk product was not lost on me). I started with the release of Studio One 3 Pro, I've never experienced the high CPU usage people talk about, never had an issue with it personally.

So my choice would be, and is Studio One Pro, and it will remain that way until something comes along that appeals to me more. In the end it's all pretty much a personal thing, use whatever does what you need, in the way that you want, in an environment that you enjoy and feel comfortable in.

I always have REAPER as a backup, but never really fire it up, only to check in briefly every now and then.
This is exactly the way I feel...
Thank you for putting this into words...
Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #28
Trancit

Quote:
I'm not a huge user of video in general, but I definitely would be shocked if Reaper wasn't capable of working with video. That's a huge area of music making, film, that Reaper wouldn't be able to do.
Its not about being able to work with video... but in a DAW I definetely don´t need any fancy video processors and this was the main development over the past8 or 9 month or so...

Quote:
... I doubt that Studio One is as feature packed, and it's definitely not as CPU efficient...
Don´t hold your breath on that...
On my system 90% of the time Studio One is more efficient than Reaper...
Reaper only shines when it comes to really maxing out the system... meaning, when dropouts occur in S1 I can go still a bit further in Reaper...
But up to this very end point S1 does a better job than Reaper...
Old 12-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #29
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Correct ... 32 bit stuff dies and Reaper 64 Bit can easily handle 32 bit plugins. And S1 should also be able to.
I honestely hate the bitbridge in Reaper as it makes every bridged plugin floating...
Jbridge does a far better job for me...so I miss nothing of that in S1
Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 AM   #30
G-Sun

I was trying out S1 v2
but went back to Reaper for
- Cost
- Features (Studio One didn't do what I was hoping for, and didn't solve the ones I was missing in Reaper)

If you are an experienced DAW-user, you can just sum up your feature and workflow-needs, and see what's best for you.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #31
Aymara

Quote:
... but in a DAW I definetely don´t need any fancy video processors and this was the main development over the past8 or 9 month or so...
Don‘t limit your view to what YOU need ... in times, where producers are more likely to earn money with film and game music, than with band albums, video features are an absolute must have for any DAW!

So Reaper development definitely went in the right direction, BUT Justin should also concentrate on better import/export features, because in Pro studios Reaper is only a DAW of second choice. So IMO better project exports, that can be directly imported in other DAWs are a further must have feature, that currently is urgently missing.

Chris
Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #32
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
I was trying out S1 v2
V2 was far behind what V4 has to offer. It was V4, that made me switch from Reaper to S1, because it has everything, what is missing in Reaper, incl. the above mentioned import/export features.

As I said above ... I highly recommend the demo and all the tutorial videos, that are already available on Youtube.

Chris
Old 12-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #33
vanhaze

because it has everything, what is missing in Reaper

You could also turn this around:
"because S1 has nothing that makes Reaper stand out" (like support for scripts and great CPU utilisation, to just name a very few)
Old 12-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #34
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
You could also turn this around:
"because S1 has nothing that makes Reaper stand out" (like support for scripts and great CPU utilisation, to just name a very few)
And the next candidate, who didn‘t seem to have tested V4

Joking aside ...on my Macbook Pro and iMac Pro I see no huge difference in CPU consumption between the two DAWs and the macros in S1 do everything I need.

Fact is, S1 has the much better workflow for composers.

But as I said before ... these two DAWs are a nice pair and this pair would be even better, if Reaper would have a compatible project export, which S1 already has.

Chris
Old 12-20-2018, 04:31 AM   #35
Trancit

Quote:
Don‘t limit your view to what YOU need ... in times, where producers are more likely to earn money with film and game music, than with band albums, video features are an absolute must have for any DAW!

So Reaper development definitely went in the right direction, ...
So and this is what I see different...

A DAW is a DAW is a DAW= Digital AUDIO Workstation
Video support of what is necessary to sync your audio to the picture...ok...

BUT for further Video editing there are enough dedicated programms, which do the job 1 million times better than Reaper ever could...

And all the change logs I saw in the latest past... added this gimmick to the video processor... and that gimmick...

This is that highly I doubt if the Reaper development goes in the right direction for me...
Old 12-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #36
Aymara

Quote:
So and this is what I see different...

A DAW is a DAW is a DAW= Digital AUDIO Workstation
Video support of what is necessary to sync your audio to the picture...ok...

BUT for further Video editing there are enough dedicated programms, which do the job 1 million times better than Reaper ever could...
Correct, I‘m absolutely with you here ... we need to be able to create audio for videos and be able to be in sync with the video, but video editing itself , e.g inserting text, is not the job of a DAW.

In my opinion the video for which I create audio should already be completely finished, when importing it in the DAW‘s video player.

Quote:
This is that highly I doubt if the Reaper development goes in the right direction for me...
Yes, a chord track feature or arrangement features like in Studio One would be much more useful in Reaper, than this crappy video editing script stuff, that can be much better and easier done in most video editing apps.

Chris
Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #37
Trancit

Quote:
Correct, I‘m absolutely with you here ... we need to be able to create audio for videos and be able to be in sync with the video, but video editing itself , e.g inserting text, is not the job of a DAW.

In my opinion the video for which I create audio should already be completely finished, when importing it in the DAW‘s video player.

Yes, a chord track feature or arrangement features like in Studio One would be much more useful in Reaper, than this crappy video editing script stuff, that can be much better and easier done in most video editing apps.
Deutsche unter sich... wir sprechen dieselbe Sprache... im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes!!!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #38
dupont

Studio one is a great DAW if you want a ready to use soft, with no headache and without put your hands in the engine, intuitive interface.
I wish some features to be implemented in Reaper : scratch pad, compressor reduction meter in mixer view, advanced freezing (convert track to audio).

Studio one lakes all the customization Reaper offers, the user scripts and is less powerful in automation modulation.
It is also less convenient than Reaper to record midi data coming from a plugin, arpegiator for example.

Reaper is more powerful than Studio one but not everybody need that extra power.
It is like a car, you can buy a good car or chose to customize it, bigger wheels, painting, bigger engine...you can go where you want with both cars.

At the end of the day, no matter which DAW you use, it's the ideas you put inside which will make a track good.

On my side on OSX, I get CPU spikes every few minutes which lead to micro audio drop outs with S1, that's a show stopper for audio recording !
Several mac users encounter CPU issues with S1.
So I prefer Reaper.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #39
dupont

Quote:
Deutsche unter sich... wir sprechen dieselbe Sprache... im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes!!!
Tous ce que j'ai compris, c'est que ça doit être de l'allemand !
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #40
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
Several mac users encounter CPU issues with S1.
Are you using the latest version 4.1.1? I ask, because I do and have no CPU issues with S1 at all ... performance is comparable to Reaper (latest version 5).

I use all this stuff on a mid2014 MacBook Pro (with i7 & 16 GB RAM) and on an iMac Pro (8 core base model), both with macOS 10.13.6

Chris