Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #1801
Edwood
Human being with feelings

Thank you. I ordered the video. All I'm trying to do is make every track a different color while recording! Thanks again
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #1802
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
Thank you. I ordered the video. All I'm trying to do is make every track a different color while recording! Thanks again
im sure it will serve you well, but you shouldnt need it for this. it's very simple. in the prefs, under Appearance>Track Control Panels, you have at least one of the top two options checked, yes? otherwise you will see no track colors. while in there, i'd also recommend the option to "automatically color any recording pass that adds takes..." under "peaks/waveforms." very helpful, that.

then in your auto-color/icon window, if the track color option is checked and you have arranged your entries there in order of preference, you should see some results. if not, something is wrong w your setup. maybe try reinstalling from scratch with default prefs and go from there to pinpoint the problem.

and if you still cant manage to get going, a workaround would be to create a custom action when adding tracks and include an action to set a random track color. then at least you will have some differentiation.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-12-2014 at 02:40 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #1803
Edwood

Thank you Poofox. No luck.Can you guide ne with the custom actions,Thank's
Old 11-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #1804
Edwood

Stop the presses!! Just got it thru my 62 year old head. Thank you very much,Eddie
Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #1805
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
Stop the presses!! Just got it thru my 62 year old head. Thank you very much,Eddie
what solved the problem?

custom actions are reaper's name for macros. they are built in the actions window by adding a list of actions you want performed all at once in the order they are listed. then you can trigger them with one click/key.

start making your own whenever you find yourself repeating any sequence of actions. many of mine are only 2 or 3 actions and just save me having to remember to do something in a given situation. they are invaluable for speeding up workflow.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #1806
Edwood

Turns out I wasn't adding a Custom Color in the 16 Custom colors boxes,Even though I thought I was. Thank you again, Eddie
Old 11-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #1807
rvman

Reaper is so customizable that it can overwhelm you. But if you keep at it you'll be rewarded later. I go from frustration to "Ah HA!"
Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #1808
Edufighter

Default S&M Notes - fonts and lines

S&M Notes is amazingly powerful and I'm using it a lot, preparing markers for VO recording and showing the lines to the voice talent in the booth monitor with the"Marker Region/Names" options, however when the line has more than 80 or so characters the font doesn't re-scale and is too tiny that it become useless.
Is there a way to introduce "carriage return" to show several lines in the note window? or to specify certain font?
Any help is much appreciated.
Edufighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #1809
TechDAWg

Default autocoloricon rules transfer

I have created rules for autocoloricon on my mac. when I look at "sws-autocoloricon.ini" file in a text editor I can see that my rules are stored in that file. When I transfer that file in the reaper configuration folder (C:\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Reaper) on a PC, my rules don't appear in the autocoloricon window on the PC and I can't figure out why Has anybody had that problem?
TechDAWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #1810
TripodII

Always great. Thanks for making creative work flow
TripodII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #1811
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDAWg View Post
I have created rules for autocoloricon on my mac. when I look at "sws-autocoloricon.ini" file in a text editor I can see that my rules are stored in that file. When I transfer that file in the reaper configuration folder (C:\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Reaper) on a PC, my rules don't appear in the autocoloricon window on the PC and I can't figure out why Has anybody had that problem?
i never tried to do it manually, but that should work too. try using reaper's export/import configuration functions instead. should copy everything from that folder to the right location (depending on settings).
Old 11-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #1812
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperto View Post
Perhaps checking this option?

Extensions > SWS Options > Enable auto track coloring
Auto-coloring has been broken for me for some time now as well. I reported it a while back. Glad to know it's confirmed so hopefully it can be fixed. It's a very useful feature.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #1813
gofer
-blänk-

Auto color works beautifully as always here. I'd be stomping and shouting if it wouldn't as I love it to pieces, couldn't live without. I don't see a broken=confirmed in this thread. Edwood seems to have it working a few posts later. Can you direct to your report (hoping there's some kind of description of what to look for)?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #1814
wol

Quote:
Can't reproduce. For me copying the file works both from Win to OSX and from OSX to Win.
wol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #1815
nofish

Is there a difference between native action "Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy)"

and

"SWS: Copy items/tracks/env, obeying time sel" ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #1816
timothys_monster

It's the first time I've used the SWS Loudness Analyzer.

I like the fact that it can analyze tracks offline, so you don't have to play the whole song.

But comparing it to the Waves' loudness meter I was wondering, if the tracks are maybe been analyzed Pre-FX??? Just have a look at the screenshot and compare the values.

Or is it the different methods (EBU...) and weighting (ITU 1770...)? Can't imagine though, because at least the dBTP must be the same, or not?

timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #1817
planetnine

Measure and normalize loudness with SWS

There's a flow diagram, showing where the track and item signals are taken from. Try putting your waves meter as the first FX in the track and re-run. Load the Toneboosters EBU loudness plugin to compare...

>
Old 11-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #1818
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Measure and normalize loudness with SWS

There's a flow diagram, showing where the track and item signals are taken from. Try putting your waves meter as the first FX in the track and re-run. Load the Toneboosters EBU loudness plugin to compare...
>
Oh nooo, "Due to API limitations, audio samples can be obtained only from certain parts of the audio chain."

Well, that's really bad So it can better be used for analzing loudness in the beginning of a mixing session rather than in the end of the mastering project.
So, I have to first render the 10 files for the whole album and analyze them later on. I may not save a lot of time in comparison to realtime-analyze the tracks though... but when the API doesn't allow it - that's what it is then!

Thanks planetnine for the Wiki link!
Old 11-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #1819
airon

Yeah we have to bitch to Cockos about that, though they're in v5 labor right now. At least we can analyze items.

Relax. Loudness normalization happens AFTER a mix, and usually across an entire album.

TV mixers have to loudness-normalize segments between commercial breaks as a last step.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #1820
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Relax. Loudness normalization happens AFTER a mix, and usually across an entire album.
I know that it should be the last step. I was mastering an album where all the 10 tracks were in one project so I could easily switch for comparing them.
I loaded the mixes and put the mastering FX on each track.
When finishing the album I wanted to analyze the loudness of the mastered tracks without having to export each one of them.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #1821
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
I know that it should be the last step. I was mastering an album where all the 10 tracks were in one project so I could easily switch for comparing them.
I loaded the mixes and put the mastering FX on each track.
When finishing the album I wanted to analyze the loudness of the mastered tracks without having to export each one of them.
You can freeze the tracks, analyze/normalize them and unfreeze them. Upon unfreezing, volume fader should retain normalized value.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #1822
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
You can freeze the tracks, analyze/normalize them and unfreeze them. Upon unfreezing, volume fader should retain normalized value.
Yeah, that's an easy workaround! So I can even select all of them and freeze them with one click. Nice! Thanks, Breeder
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #1823
ValeryOrloff

Default context Toolbar!

Contextual toolbars constructor - this is BOMB!
I dreamed about it!
Thanx SWS!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 03:22 AM   #1824
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeryOrloff View Post
Contextual toolbars constructor - this is BOMB!
I dreamed about it!
Thanx SWS!!!
Please explain. What´s it exactly?
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #1825
ValeryOrloff

Default It's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
Please explain. What´s it exactly?

Contextual toolbars
Old 12-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #1826
futureman

On OSX, I've been having trouble with retaining assets in "S&M Resources", e.g. I have a bunch of FX chains, track templates, etc. with "bookmarks" all assigned and labeled in Resources. With the latest (both stable and pre-release) SWS extensions the Resources window is erased and/or reset every time REAPER is closed and re-opened, losing all of the assets (although they still remain on the system drive). I've noticed "S&M.ini" is being written to on each REAPER shutdown and erasing/re-writing the Resources data within.

I've seen this behavior on two different Macs running two different OS versions (10.6.8 and 10.9.5). REAPER version is currently v4.75 32 bit.

The last version that didn't do this (and therefore the one I'm still using) was v2.4.0 #9.

Can anyone else check to confirm? Really hoping this gets resolved!

Specs:
• E-MU Xboard 49 MIDI controller (via USB)
• Focusrite Saffire Pro DSP
• Mac OS v10.9.5 (Mavericks)
• Mac Mini i7 2.6 (details)
futureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #1827
foxAsteria

Default context toolbars

is this where we're discussing this feature? i'd really love to see it totally replace the current context functionality. as in right-click to use and the possibility of creating custom context menus via the extensions. would be great to have more context menus with smaller, more specific lists.

the menu editor we have now is pretty tedious to use and many context menus are still not editable.

but maybe this is asking too much.

thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #1828
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureman View Post
On OSX, I've been having trouble with retaining assets in "S&M Resources", e.g. I have a bunch of FX chains, track templates, etc. with "bookmarks" all assigned and labeled in Resources. With the latest (both stable and pre-release) SWS extensions the Resources window is erased and/or reset every time REAPER is closed and re-opened, losing all of the assets (although they still remain on the system drive). I've noticed "S&M.ini" is being written to on each REAPER shutdown and erasing/re-writing the Resources data within.

I've seen this behavior on two different Macs running two different OS versions (10.6.8 and 10.9.5). REAPER version is currently v4.75 32 bit.

The last version that didn't do this (and therefore the one I'm still using) was v2.4.0 #9.

Specs:
This was happening to me too (on Windows 8.1, so it's not just mac) after the last beta update. A restart fixed the problem for me, not sure if that will work in your case.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #1829
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
is this where we're discussing this feature? i'd really love to see it totally replace the current context functionality. as in right-click to use and the possibility of creating custom context menus via the extensions. would be great to have more context menus with smaller, more specific lists.

the menu editor we have now is pretty tedious to use and many context menus are still not editable.

but maybe this is asking too much.

thanks!
Topic for contextual toolbars is here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150702

Btw, the functionality has nothing to do with context menus

Last edited by Breeder; 12-08-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #1830
futureman

Quote:

Specs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
This was happening to me too (on Windows 8.1, so it's not just mac) after the last beta update. A restart fixed the problem for me, not sure if that will work in your case.
Thanks for the suggestion Swamp Ape! Took a shot at restarting, rebooting, etc. -- even manually editing the "S&M.ini" file: with the latest SWS extensions, bookmarks in Resources still get erased on REAPER exit/re-open.

I think I may have found a possible trigger though: having multiple Resource bookmarks saved (perhaps of the same type e.g. FX chains). With the latest extensions I can only get as far as having one (FX chain) bookmark created, any added after that will trigger the REAPER restart/Resource reset issue.

Again, SWS v2.4.0 #9 didn't have this problem -- any version afterward started behaving this way.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #1831
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Topic for contextual toolbars is here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150702

Btw, the functionality has nothing to do with context menus
thanks, and sorry i surely could have searched that rather easily...
Old 12-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #1832
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edufighter View Post
S&M Notes is amazingly powerful and I'm using it a lot, preparing markers for VO recording and showing the lines to the voice talent in the booth monitor with the"Marker Region/Names" options, however when the line has more than 80 or so characters the font doesn't re-scale and is too tiny that it become useless.
Is there a way to introduce "carriage return" to show several lines in the note window? or to specify certain font?
Any help is much appreciated.
In the S&M Notes window, you want to use Marker/Region *subtitles* (not Marker/Region *names*, because those can't have multiple lines, as you can see in REAPER's ruler). Subtitles do have the same features (they will follow playback too, etc) except they can have multiple lines of text.

Quote:
Yes, it's a known/historical issue (SWS started as a win-only project), which would be great to address at some point...
In the meantime, if you feel adventurous enough to tweak this by hand:
- on OSX, colors are stored as integers in RGB order (0xRRGGBB)
- on Win, it's BGR (0xBBGGRR -- for ex blue = 0xFF0000 = 16711680 in the file).
^ that's what I can recall on the top of my head, I haven't double-checked what I'm saying here, but that should be it, or close to it.
Quote:

Specs:
Confirmed, thanks for the report futureman!
This bug is medium-hot, so I've released a v2.5.0 #1 just with this fix (the new beta release v2.5.2 contains this fix too, and more...)
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #1833
musicbynumbers

Hi Jeffos. 2.5.2 looks awesome with the new toolbar stuff. Just wanted to get on my knees and beg you/Justin/Schwa in as many places as possible for the ability to add many more toolbars as I've totally run out

No rush for them but hopefully all your toolbar goodness benefit from more toolbars
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #1834
futureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
Confirmed, thanks for the report futureman!
This bug is medium-hot, so I've released a v2.5.0 #1 just with this fix (the new beta release v2.5.2 contains this fix too, and more...)
Terrific -- thanks for getting on this so quick Jeffos! I get a lot of use out of the Resources > Bookmarks feature so I'm glad this is working again alongside all the great new SWS features (e.g. contextual toolbars).

Cheers!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #1835
unique

contextual toolbars, bright idea.

EDIT:

EDIT:
Hi SWS devs, your contextual idea is bright. I have a suggestion/idea?

This may or may not bee possible already but I have not found a way to do it yet.

Is there a way so I can bind the contextual toolbar to my right click button and have the right click menu that is normally there show up underneath the contextual toolbar? something like this....(ms paint mock up)

???? if not possible, would this be useful?

I know that in the menu you have to bind the contextual bar that shows according to an assigned preset. In addition to that idea the possibility of just 1 universal right click and having the appropriate menu you want to show up defined by certain values somehow would be a lot easier IMO then having to remember a bunch of different preset assignment shortcut keys.

Anyways I am just now diving into this whole contextual toolbar function and some of what I said may already be a function and i did not even know it, sorry if so, however I wanted this idea to be shared with the forum just in case. Thank you.

Last edited by unique; 12-15-2014 at 04:26 PM.
unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #1836
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
somehow would be a lot easier IMO then having to remember a bunch of different preset assignment shortcut keys.
Right-click option has already been discussed in dedicated forum topic (in my sig) - it's not something I would personally like to hack from the extension, but we'll see... (no promises of course)

Regarding shortcut keyS. The whole point of contextual toolbars is that you use ONE shortcut to load multiple toolbars for different context for one preset. I personally keybinded the shortcut to one of the buttons on my mouse and once I got used to it, it became second nature (right-click for the things I need 1 % of the time, contextual toolbar shortcut for the things I need 99% of the time)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #1837
heda

little FR:
Auto Color/Icon has:
- Auto track coloring
- Auto Marker coloring
- Auto Region coloring
- Auto Track Icon

It would be nice if these are added:
- Auto track TCP layout
- Auto track MPC layout

for example all tracks starting with BUS can have a big meter layout in the mixer, etc.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #1838
ValeryOrloff

Default reaper50pre3_x64 + sws-v2.6.1.0-x64

Win7 x64:
sws-v2.6.1.0-x64 with reaper50pre3_x64 crash Reaper
Screen shot crash message

uninstall sws-v2.6.1.0, install sws-v2.6.0.0 = Reaper start ok.

Anybody confirm it?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #1839
EvilDragon

If only people would read the release logs...

http://sws.mj-s.com/whatsnew_beta.php
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #1840
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
If only people would read the release logs...

http://sws.mj-s.com/whatsnew_beta.php
What do you mean? The last post (if you are referring to that) said they are using the newest V5 pre-release...as it states is needed in the SWS log.
For what it's worth, my V5 pre3 won't even open after installing this newest SWS beta. No crash screen or error, it just will not open.