Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default take volume similar to normalize and glueing without changing filename?

When I use normalize feature, it gives me a db boost increase number at the bottom of the item. is there a way I can boost items in this manner by entering the specific db I want to boost at rather than use the normalize function?

Also, I'd like to have this new volume be the new volume of the file. If I use glue, it will change the filename, I'd like to just be able to sort of save that new state.

Thirdly, I'm doing this with Mp3s. Is that gonna destroy the quality if I glue an mp3 to mp3 again like that?
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
When I use normalize feature, it gives me a db boost increase number at the bottom of the item. is there a way I can boost items in this manner by entering the specific db I want to boost at rather than use the normalize function?
volume control in item properties?

Quote:
Also, I'd like to have this new volume be the new volume of the file. If I use glue, it will change the filename, I'd like to just be able to sort of save that new state.
don't know, sorry

Quote:
Thirdly, I'm doing this with Mp3s. Is that gonna destroy the quality if I glue an mp3 to mp3 again like that?
yes, probably - depends what you mean by "destroy", but it'll make it worse - file compression is a bit unpredictable, sometimes artifacts are more noticable, other times not too bad
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

In Reaper, glueing involves creation of a new file. This type of rendering always requires:
  1. re-compressing the original file (non-issue with uncompressed audio like WAV, WV, FLAC but problematic with lossily compressed audio like MP3, AAC, M4A, OGG, OPUS due to cumulation of compression artifacts).
  2. creation of a new file which in turn requires giving the new file a new name since no two files in a folder can have identical names.
On Windows: To avoid re-compression of lossy audio files use dedicated audio editors for the respective audio formats like mp3DirectCut in case of MP3 files. This free app can do everything you are asking for (replay gain adjustments, normalization, volume changes, fade-in/fade-out, trimming, splitting, etc.) without re-compressing the MP3, thus, with no quality loss and very conveniently via batch-processing! You can also opt to overwrite the source files which avoids new file names.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
In Reaper, glueing involves creation of a new file. This type of rendering always requires:
  1. re-compressing the original file (non-issue with uncompressed audio like WAV, WV, FLAC but problematic with lossily compressed audio like MP3, AAC, M4A, OGG, OPUS due to cumulation of compression artifacts).
  2. creation of a new file which in turn requires giving the new file a new name since no two files in a folder can have identical names.
On Windows: To avoid re-compression of lossy audio files use dedicated audio editors for the respective audio formats like mp3DirectCut in case of MP3 files. This free app can do everything you are asking for (replay gain adjustments, normalization, volume changes, fade-in/fade-out, trimming, splitting, etc.) without re-compressing the MP3, thus, with no quality loss and very conveniently via batch-processing! You can also opt to overwrite the source files which avoids new file names.

Cool, thanks for the info!
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
vdubreeze

Breeder's invaluable Glue Tool allows you to preserve file names, among other functions I can't live without (process items separately, include fades, save item notes, etc).

Can't find it in the stash so I guess it came via Repack.