Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I
Hehe, I have 40+ years of plectrums that guitar players have left at my studio for me to pick from (pun intended), but the plastic box of plain old white Fender Heavy picks I bought about 15 years ago (and down to only a couple remaining) are about the only ones I really ever use, whether it's on guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, Etc.
I could order 10000 guitar picks, two days later I'd be looking for a guitar pick. That said, I've been using pickboy reefer picks for a good while now - wish I knew where one was.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-15-2019 at 12:45 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #42
analogexplosions

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III's are my pick crush right now. I love these things. They have a really great attack.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #43
grinder

Ha Ha Ha Ha Glennbo
I'm not saying how many guitars I have purchased for exactly the same reason
as you that said if you see any Swedish Sharkfin picks purchase one and you just may hear what I mean!
These are them Landstrom Sharkfin they will give a sound that is more finger...
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/lan...tter-thin.html
They last too. Expensive but worth it.
I use the White frost ones heavier than the red when I can get them.

Grinder

Last edited by grinder; 07-15-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added info
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #44
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I could order 10000 guitar picks, two days later I'd be looking for a guitar pick. That said, I've been using pickboy reefer picks for a good while now - wish I knew where one was.
Those aren't made from hemp are they?

Actually the little cannabis logo looks like it might help you hold onto it. Specially if you are stoned!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #45
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Ha Ha Ha Ha Glennbo
I'm not saying how many guitars I have purchased for exactly the same reason
as you that said if you see any Swedish Sharkfin picks purchase one and you just may hear what I mean!
These are them Landstrom Sharkfin they will give a sound that is more finger...
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/lan...tter-thin.html
They last too. Expensive but worth it.
I use the White frost ones heavier than the red when I can get them.

Grinder
I've got one of those! Like I mentioned, I have over 40 years of guitarists leaving their pics in my studio, which is how I got that one. I've actually used the lumpy side of it on an acoustic guitar track once to get that almost zither sounding effect from the ripples. Here's proof right beside my Manny Moe and Jack pick and felt BASS pick!

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-15-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #46
karbomusic

Quote:
Those aren't made from hemp are they?

Actually the little cannabis logo looks like it might help you hold onto it. Specially if you are stoned!
The short of it is that 20 years ago when I worked for a music store chain, the Modulus bass rep visited, he had a bag full of graphite picks and gave me a handful and I loved them. Not sure if they are the same as what they sell now for $5 a pick which I ain't buying... these are the closest I could find with a sharp edge.

If I'm not using those then I use Tortex orange .60 or Tortex yellow .73, the orange are only for acoustic when strumming but to be honest I'll use about anything or no pick at all if needed.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #47
Nathannn

Ebow
quarter
penny
Nathannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The short of it is that 20 years ago when I worked for a music store chain, the Modulus bass rep visited, he had a bag full of graphite picks and gave me a handful and I loved them. Not sure if they are the same as what they sell now for $5 a pick which I ain't buying... these are the closest I could find with a sharp edge.

If I'm not using those then I use Tortex orange .60 or Tortex yellow .73, the orange are only for acoustic when strumming but to be honest I'll use about anything or no pick at all if needed.
I have one around here that might be graphite. Another free one from some session long ago, but it is really thick with a beveled edge. I like stiff feeling picks in general, but that one had zero flex. I'm betting in the right hands, some bumblebee flutter could happen with it, but not in my hands.

All this talk about different gauges for picks made me wonder what gauge are the Fender Heavy picks I've used my entire stringed instrument life, coz I have no idea, and never thought about it. It doesn't seem to be a published spec, even on Fender's site and article about how to choose a pick.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #49
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
The pointier pick, the more treble you get.

How your grip is - hard or loose - matters too.
This matches my experience the most.

thicker pick - more percussive and instantaneous sound (aka? more audio power on the transient? )

pointier pick - more treble sound

worn down thick pick - dull (aka 'less treble') sound

thin pick, like the fender picks - softer sound, delayed sound (aka? less audio power in the transient?)

loose grip - duller sound

tight grip - snappier sound

thick pick + rotate pick towards cutting through strings as diagonal - softer sound, too extreme rotation can be scratchy or dull sound

thick pick + rotate pick towards playing near parallel to strings - more plucky sound, too extreme parallel can get pick caught in strings

thin pick + rotate pick towards playing near parallel to strings - full sound, more percussive, pick deforms through string so doesnt get stuck

Why this thread. Recently I switched to a different guitar pedal/preamp setup so wanted to isolate what tone was coming from where and how to tweak it to my conceived-personal tone. Plus I watched a rig rundown video with the artist stating "Yeah these picks give me the tone I want, they really give me that 'distinctive tone'" yadda yadda, LOL Anyways ultimately I want to order a set of custom printed picks, for fun, with a personal logo. These would come in bulk. So I better be prepared to use them for the next 10 years. hah. Unless I give them out to my thousands of screaming fans. But in that case I might have a different problem: "Suggest a pick which increases immunity to cooties."
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #50
superblonde.org

Quote:
When I want a different sound, I buy a new guitar.
this strategy could work for me if the new guitar came bundled with a new pick with truly unique tone and then I could throw away the new guitar and use that new pick. ....
Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #51
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathannn View Post
Ebow

Ebow probably wins for the pick which changes tone the most (altho its not really a pick)

I should get one...never tried ebow..

Probably the other not-really-a-pick-but-used-like-a-pick with most tonal change is the electric drill, or the toy-ray-gun.

Hmmmm...
Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #52
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
Ebow probably wins for the pick which changes tone the most (altho its not really a pick)

I should get one...never tried ebow..

Probably the other not-really-a-pick-but-used-like-a-pick with most tonal change is the electric drill, or the toy-ray-gun.

Hmmmm...

Dood I toured with in the 70s does a lot of the NAMM shows demonstrating the E-Bow. This is him playing some Bach.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #53
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Dood I toured with in the 70s does a lot of the NAMM shows demonstrating the E-Bow. This is him playing some Bach.
Very cool! I just picked up an Ebow a month or so ago. I'll have to play with it some more to be able to do that, though.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #54
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Very cool! I just picked up an Ebow a month or so ago. I'll have to play with it some more to be able to do that, though.
I don't know if they still include the original one, but my buddy Lenny Walker wrote the book that came with E-Bows. They may have other docs now, or probably a web address. He has a bunch of snippet bits where you can see how he does different tricks with an Ebow.

https://www.ebow.com/artist_page.php?id=16

Edit: This is the link with the how to clips.

https://www.ebow.com/ebowtube.php

-

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-20-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #55
Jeffsounds

Quote:
I don't know if they still include the original one, but my buddy Lenny Walker wrote the book that came with E-Bows. They may have other docs now, or probably a web address. He has a bunch of snippet bits where you can see how he does different tricks with an Ebow.

https://www.ebow.com/artist_page.php?id=16

Edit: This is the link with the how to clips.

https://www.ebow.com/ebowtube.php

-
Very cool! Thanks!
Old 07-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #56
Timothy Lawler

Quote:
That was great to hear.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:39 PM   #57
Jeffsounds

Ok, I ordered the Steve Vai, Clayton and Snarling Dog Brain picks. Wasn't too fond of the Vai or Clayton picks and had to wait for the Snarling Dog Brain picks because they were on back order. Got them a few days ago and I have to say I really like them! I somehow developed a problem over the last year or so with the pick turning in my hand and these picks solve that problem.

I also move my grip on the pick around depending on what I'm actually doing, like strumming or picking a lead or doing arpeggio's, etc., and that is taking some time to get used to but I am going to stick with these. I don't remember who first suggested them in this thread (brainworks?) but whoever it was, thank you!

EDIT: This article came across my inbox the other day on picks. Thought it might be of interest here.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #58
bolgwrad

Not specific brand/gauge advice, but hey: get a tube of silicon rubber and squeeze a little on the top outside edge of your pick so you get a sort of 'half-crater' wedge round the top. This will increase your thumb/finger grip by 200%, meaning you won't drop it - or worry about dropping it - three-quarters as much.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #59
Rick Settle

Default Pick and tone

If you would like a very dark sound, try a Bass guitar felt pick.
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #60
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Not specific brand/gauge advice, but hey: get a tube of silicon rubber and squeeze a little on the top outside edge of your pick so you get a sort of 'half-crater' wedge round the top. This will increase your thumb/finger grip by 200%, meaning you won't drop it - or worry about dropping it - three-quarters as much.
Wasn't there something available a bazillion years ago for pick adhesive? I'm thinking Gorilla Snot or something to that effect?

Yeah, here it is...
Old 08-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #61
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post

there is a commercial ring-shaped-pick-leash which is made of something like silicone-rubber, fits over a finger (2nd finger), and holds a pick if pick grip is lost. so a pick is never to be dropped again - releasing the grip means it stays at the inside of the palm. I forget what it's called. I remember it is/was used by handicapped guitarists?

... it doesnt change the tone of the pick since the plucking surface is unchanged.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #62
superblonde.org

this is one similar to what i was remembering- the "Zero Gravity guitar pick" kind of like a silicone rubber dongle-pick :-D it incorporates a plectrum in itself

A "grippy" soft rubber tether is molded over and through the unique pick head to create an ergonomic masterpiece. The Orbit keeps the guitar pick where you want it, always in dynamic playing alignment that opens the door to creative play. The custom design fits all hand sizes, and can accommodate both left and right hand players.

Last edited by superblonde.org; 08-20-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #63
brainwreck

If anyone is looking for good grip, try those Snarling Dogs Brain picks previously mentioned. The grip is pretty dang good, and the things will likely last much longer than you will be able to keep up with them...where do all the guitar picks disappear too anyway? When man is long gone from the planet, there will be cockroaches and Brain picks left. Maybe the roaches will use them as surfboards in the toxic floods.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:22 PM   #64
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
When man is long gone from the planet, there will be cockroaches and Brain picks left. Maybe the roaches will use them as surfboards in the toxic floods.
That's hilarious!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #65
Philbo King

It isn't the pick, it's the hand that holds it. I suggest hiring Joe Bonamassa to hold the pick for you.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #66
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
Use your fingers.
No one seems to have "picked" up on this comment. Is that because it is sort of off topic?

I know that peeps "finger pick" and certain styles of music demand that. But over the years I have moved away from using those Jim Dunlop nylon picks in favour of just using a single finger.

I guess I became lazy. I'd pick up my guitar and not bother looking for a pick (if one wasn't already threaded between the strings).

The big BUT, though, is it certainly limits what you can play. Or at least that is the case with my limited skills. No sweep picking, for instance.

And the sound generated can vary depending on whether or not I have trimmed my nails.

I have an Ebow... I should get a new battery out and try to use it again. I love the way you are able to induce harmonics with that thing... Great for noodling over ambient drones and what have you

cheers

andy
Old 08-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #67
superblonde.org

"Use your fingers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
No one seems to have "picked" up on this comment. Is that because ..
because it is a dumb comment.

Original post said: (dont say switch to the thumb or switch to hybrid style)

Title of thread : Suggest a guitar pick ...
Old 09-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #68
woogish

On those heavy nylon Dunlop picks, run one edge over a fine cheese grater (one or both sides) until you get a good set of "teeth". this will give you a real aggressive "raking" sound on clean or od tones - you can get a lesser version of this using the raised lettering on these picks.
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #69
grinder

I use mainly fingers.
Don't forget also where you are playing close to the bridge or further toward
the nut.... specially bass you can eq a stringed instrument just by using playing position.
My choice of pick has always been the Original Shark fin this has a serrated edge as woogish describes ( or like )

Grinder
Old 09-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #70
Glennbo

Because of this thread, I went through all the picks I've acquired over the years from guitarists leaving them in the studio. In the pile of assorted picks was a Dunlop Gator Grip 1.5mm and I've used it pretty exclusively since finding it. Fender Heavy was my goto, and I still have part of a box of them, but I like the thicker 1.5mm Dunlop now.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #71
woogish

Quote:
I use mainly fingers.
Don't forget also where you are playing close to the bridge or further toward
the nut.... specially bass you can eq a stringed instrument just by using playing position.
My choice of pick has always been the Original Shark fin this has a serrated edge as woogish describes ( or like )

Grinder
Sharkfin won't give you that really edgy rake effect
Old 09-05-2019, 04:12 PM   #72
grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
Sharkfin won't give you that really edgy rake effect
Well I guess you could use the grater on the smooth edge of the sharkfin then Woogish and have the other wavy side as a moderate swell!

Grinder
Old 09-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #73
hopi

Taylor guitars recently started making a new line of picks

some from a diff material and some with special edge considerations

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...s#store-header
Old 09-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #74
superblonde.org

Quote:
Fender Heavy was my goto, and I still have part of a box of them, but I like the thicker 1.5mm Dunlop now.

The continual evolution of a player to prefer new picks after long having other favorites (independent of tone and more related to muscle action and grip) is a very interesting aspect of guitar.

It might be related to genres sometimes (a practical switch), tho more interestingly often seems related to anatomy and getting more subtle with playing the instrument.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #75
woogish

Quote:
Well I guess you could use the grater on the smooth edge of the sharkfin then Woogish and have the other wavy side as a moderate swell!

Grinder
that'd probably work!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 AM   #76
Tubeguy

I mostly use Dunlop Maxgrip Jazz III for darker, thicker tone.
For bright more plucky tone I use Dunlop Tortex 0.60mm - orange.
For middle of the road tone I use Fender Medium big white triangles.
Don't believe that pick doesn't change tone much, that's nonsense. The material, shape and thickness will attribute to how you play and how you position the pick towards the string as well. Pick makes much bigger difference than brand of strings. I don't care what strings I put on but the pick must be just right.

Last edited by Tubeguy; 09-09-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #77
JeffreyET

I got a couple packs of Star picks a few years ago with a cheap guitar, I really dig them more than I thought I would. The punched-out 7 point star allows your finger & thumb to contact through the pick and makes a better grip for me.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #78
batcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
I play hard rock on an electric guitar with EMG81/85 pickups with .09 nickel-based strings and would like to experiment with changing my guitar tone by changing to a different pick while playing. My current picks are jazz ii, and chromacast, both are a type of plastic or resin. These sound different from each other but the difference is very subtle, more on the percussive side, on attack, and also very minor hand adjustment since the size, thus grip, is different. Jazz ii is also a much stiffer, harder material. Which picks to try, to give a very different & noticeable tonal change? (dont say switch to the thumb or switch to hybrid style) If there's a change, it should be distinctive in a recording, and to an audience.

Two examples I recall, both EVH and Page Hamilton recorded and performed with metal picks for some time. Listening to recordings though, I'm not sure I would be able to pick out the difference. (pun intended) However I notice when I switch pick types that my expressivity changes, from the grip, so ultimately the difference could be related to that for me.

I've been playing guitar for 30+ years and IMO the pick used has minuscule effect on the sound from an electric guitar through an amp. What matters MUCH more for electric guitar tone is the playing technique, speaker, amp, eq, pickups.
One good trick is going from pick to fingerstyle in one second, by letting the pinkie finger fold up the pick.
It takes some practice to quickly fold/unfold but is very useful for some styles. (I think Brian Setzer has a tutorial vid on it)

Simply use the pick you are comfortable playing with, material, size, thickness.
Yes, the pick will have a big impact on an unplugged acoustic played sound, but that's not what this thread is about.

By using the playing dynamics, position and technique in the pick hand, it will cover everything you want to do in any style from soft, dull, hard, scratchy attack.

I once wondered the same thing and recorded the same parts in various styles (clean to metal) with about ten different picks including my finger nails (no picks from metals used).
The result proved to me that I can get all the picks to sound pretty much identical to a point where it simply doesn't matter. The fingernails did great except for heavy metal rhythm (hurt too much). I asked my friends and they couldn't tell when I changed pick.
For example, take a Jazz 3 XL pick and compare with a Dunlop Delrin pick 1,5mm (Yngwie use them).
They sound vastly different playing unplugged, Delring is much duller than the brighter Jazz 3.
But when plugging in to an amp (bypassing the acoustic unplugged sound) I can get them to sound the same.

Last edited by batcat; 09-13-2019 at 03:49 PM.
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #79
Sari

Dunlop 427BJP John Petrucci Signature
Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #80
mek42

Could you make a pick from some used tire rubber?
mek42 is offline   Reply With Quote