Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #81
jpautomatic
Human being with feelings

i've been using a version of this XP for a couple months now and loving it.
today i went to turn the computer on and got a message about
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is "missing or corrupt" and windows cannot start without it.

i'm not the most software savvy dude around, but my understanding is that this (DuX XP) has the NT backup system removed. is this correct?
not being the most software savvy dude around i haven't been using a 3rd party backup either.

so, given i have no backup on this system, is there any way to repair the "CONFIG\SYSTEM"?
i looked at the microsoft stock instructions for doing this and it looks to me like those are calling up information from bak files made by the NT backup system.

so am i screwed here?
jpautomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #82
DuX

Something in your PC is not working properly, as something has corrupt the registry file. It could be many things, like a bad driver, or faulty hardware, or just incompatible hardware. Could be RAM, could be hard disk, could be power supply. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry about the OS, but about the PC, as if it happened once it will happen again and you can't work reliably with such a PC.

However, you can try to repair the XP installation by booting from the install CD and choosing the "repair installation" option... maybe it'll work. Then run the check disk afterwards.

I would try repairing it and then immediately test the PC with some burn-in program like "Everest" for instance. Also, I would look up for any newer drivers for everything, especially the motherboard. Then, if the problem arises again, I would start suspecting one of the aforementioned - the hardware, not the drivers. Probably HD, RAM, or PSU unit.

Cheers!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #83
jpautomatic

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate the tips for troubleshooting to avoid future problems, as well.
I've got the machine running again with the OS reinstalled on a new hard drive. I downloaded Everest but I'm going to have to educate myself a little on how to interpret the results. No warning lights or alarms sounded when I ran the stress test.
I also downloaded updated drivers for everything. Unfortunately, the video card drivers don't seem to work as well as the old drivers, the audio card drivers force the card to run 32 bit inside Reaper (24 and 16 are no longer selectable from the preferences), and the driver update pack from the motherboard manufacturer site appears to contain drivers for the wrong chipsets. So, I need to sort all those out and hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it.
Thank you again DuX and I've really been enjoying your optimized XP thus far, it is a commendable piece of work.
jpautomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #84
mtl777

Hey Dux, just wondering... When creating your XP SP3 nLited AO CD, did you slipstream SP1, SP2 and SP3? I noticed that there are the files WIN51IP.SP1, WIN51IP.SP2 and WIN51IP.SP3 on the CD, which seem to indicate that all these service packs were slipstreamed on the original. If so, I thought that SP3 already contains, cumulatively, all the updates from SP1 and SP2 so no need to slipstream SP1 and SP2, just SP3. You're the expert and I'm not so please correct me if I'm mistaken. Thanks!
mtl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #85
mtl777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Hey Dux, just wondering... When creating your XP SP3 nLited AO CD, did you slipstream SP1, SP2 and SP3? I noticed that there are the files WIN51IP.SP1, WIN51IP.SP2 and WIN51IP.SP3 on the CD, which seem to indicate that all these service packs were slipstreamed on the original. If so, I thought that SP3 already contains, cumulatively, all the updates from SP1 and SP2 so no need to slipstream SP1 and SP2, just SP3. You're the expert and I'm not so please correct me if I'm mistaken. Thanks!
I hope someone could answer this question. I'm trying to create my own nLited XP SP3 CD and I'm not sure how to do the slipstreaming. I have three CD's: an original CD with no SP's, a SP1 slipstreamed CD, and a SP2 slipstreamed CD. Should I...

1. Use the original CD and slipstream SP3 on it; or,
2. Use the original CD and slipstream SP1, then SP2, then SP3 on it; or,
3. Use the SP1 slipstreamed CD and slipstream SP2, then SP3 on it; or,
4. Use the SP2 slipstreamed CD and slipstream SP3 on it?

There are many ways and I don't know what's right or best. My concern is if I slipstream something that's already included in a previous SP, it might duplicate and unnecessarily increase the size of the ISO build. Will that happen or is nLite intelligent enough to detect and prevent duplicates from happening? How do you guys do it?

Thank you so much!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #86
DuX

Short answer mtl777: This is almost as installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 plus all the latest updates, only better .

Don't worry too much about the updates... 1 in a 1000 patches helps us, most patches MS puts out are network security related.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #87
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
I hope someone could answer this question. I'm trying to create my own nLited XP SP3 CD and I'm not sure how to do the slipstreaming. I have three CD's: an original CD with no SP's, a SP1 slipstreamed CD, and a SP2 slipstreamed CD. Should I...

1. Use the original CD and slipstream SP3 on it; or,
2. Use the original CD and slipstream SP1, then SP2, then SP3 on it; or,
3. Use the SP1 slipstreamed CD and slipstream SP2, then SP3 on it; or,
4. Use the SP2 slipstreamed CD and slipstream SP3 on it?

There are many ways and I don't know what's right or best. My concern is if I slipstream something that's already included in a previous SP, it might duplicate and unnecessarily increase the size of the ISO build. Will that happen or is nLite intelligent enough to detect and prevent duplicates from happening? How do you guys do it?

Thank you so much!
Don't complicate stuff so much... just slipstream SP3 files into the original WinXP and that's it! Forget about SP1 and SP2 as they're superseded by SP3.

Are you a patch junkie? Forget patching... make music.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #88
mtl777

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
Don't complicate stuff so much... just slipstream SP3 files into the original WinXP and that's it! Forget about SP1 and SP2 as they're superseded by SP3.

Are you a patch junkie? Forget patching... make music.

Cheers!
Good to know it's that simple! Your help is much appreciated. I'm basing my build on your INI file. It's awesome and saves me a lot of time. This is such a great service that you did. Thank you so much!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #89
boatclub

hey dux.
this looks really awesome. i really want to try this as i've tried nLiteing my own installation some time ago now but wasn't really the best at it.
defs want to install this asap, just a quick couple of questions.

i'm running wireless internet, so using this installation, will i be able to run internet on this? i'll be running like, REAPER, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and a few other VSTs... you think this will work ok?

last time i ran a nLite installation, windows was missing too many things to install certain stuff, but that was defs fault on my behalf removing too many things i was unsure about.

cheers, lou.

Last edited by boatclub; 05-07-2009 at 09:44 PM.
boatclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #90
boatclub

bump.
dux?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #91
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatclub View Post
i'm running wireless internet, so using this installation, will i be able to run internet on this? i'll be running like, REAPER, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and a few other VSTs... you think this will work ok?
Some still reported problems with wireless, actually only one person, I think. However, I haven't encountered any problems whatsoever with a few different computers, also 3 laptops worked fine. More than fine, actually.

There's only one issue with this installation - you have to know what you're doing, and you have to install the drivers for everything yourself. If you don't know what a driver is or how to install it, then maybe give your PC to someone who knows to install the system and the drivers .

Cheers!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #92
boatclub

haha ok that sounds good

with the drivers, do you mean i have to slip them into the install with nlite or i can install them after installing windows?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #93
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatclub View Post
haha ok that sounds good

with the drivers, do you mean i have to slip them into the install with nlite or i can install them after installing windows?
Whatever you prefer . I would install them after installing Windows as most of them get updated on a monthly basis...
Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #94
mtl777

Quote:
There's only one issue with this installation - you have to know what you're doing, and you have to install the drivers for everything yourself.
Hi Dux, you mean it wouldn't automatically install a new driver if, say, you changed your mouse or monitor? What settings, options or services did you modify to disable the Plug and Play installation of drivers?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #95
DuX

No, I didn't modify or disable the plug and play installation of drivers, I just didn't include the dodgy MS drivers for most of the things like Chipset, VGA and Sound cards.

Disabling plug and play service is not recommendable at all.

Cheers!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #96
MIAmbition

Default Hi DuX

Hi DuX,

You posted the comment below back in December. I'd like to do an OEM install, and want to use nLite myself, and I guess I just need the additional tweaks you alluded to back in December.

"I will make a list of some helpful tips for building your own nLite Windows XP, just haven`t got the time right now. There are some rather crucial tips for making it right I have to share with you, as you don`t get the whole story just by using my nLite settings file."

It's that 'rather crucial' part that makes me want to post this message.

I was just wondering if you still plan to do this?

Thanks for all the wonderful work you've done on this. You've been very generous to the community.
MIAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #97
DuX

I'm a drama queen . Shouldn't post private matters here... forget about it.

Last edited by DuX; 05-17-2009 at 02:14 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #98
MIAmbition

Sorry. Didn't know. Hope you get through it ok.
MIAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #99
JHughes
Banned

Sounds like trouble with a woman.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #100
flipotto

Default Help - Please - FreeMce and your XP

Dux,

I am the co-creator of FreeMce which turns your pc keyboard into a mackie control universal - mixer section.

It works fine on stock xp, however, when a user in another thread tries to run it using your most recent release, he has problems.
I downloaded your most recent version also, and I too have problems.
FreeMce runs a dll called midi_in.dll, however it appears unable to load in this release of audio optimized xp.

Will you do me a favor and try it on your system?
http://shoshin.110mb.com/rockiplaunch/

I wonder if DEP might be interfering with the loading of the dll?
suggestions???
I would have pm'd this message but pming you does not seem to work.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #101
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Sounds like trouble with a woman.
Wo-men Good guess. I'm just too sensitive and sentimental and the world is *not*.

@flipotto I'm gonna try and see if it works. Somehow I doubt DEP has anything to do with it. You can disable DEP if you put the /AlwaysOff switch in your boot.ini file and try yourself.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #102
flipotto

Quote:
@flipotto I'm gonna try and see if it works. Somehow I doubt DEP has anything to do with it. You can disable DEP if you put the /AlwaysOff switch in your boot.ini file and try yourself.

Cheers!
Ok - just tried with alwaysoff. I confirm that DEP is off on bootup.

No luck.
For some reason it just won't call the midi_in.dll.
I did not write it but it calls winmm.dll
The error message says it is not loading the midi_in.dll.
So FreeMce never gets a listing of the midi input ports to select from.
hmm.... thoughts?

SOLUTION FOUND - Edit - 6.4.09
Ok - here is a pm I received with the solution - it is already in this thread, however, I did not see it.
I tested and confirmed it does work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoca
Hi flipotto,

There were a few extra dll's with the 'original' build of Dux's nlite optimised XP, I installed those and all works very fine now.

The extra dll's are referenced in these posts:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=55
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=57
-snip-
avoca.

Last edited by flipotto; 06-04-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Solution found! Thanks avoca.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #103
Finnish

Where can I find ATI/AMD-drivers, especially ahci-drivers? I'm about to jump to the xp pro x64-wagon, but I need to slipstream those drivers to the disk.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #104
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Where can I find ATI/AMD-drivers, especially ahci-drivers? I'm about to jump to the xp pro x64-wagon, but I need to slipstream those drivers to the disk.
Your motherboard manufacturer's site is your best shot.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #105
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFury View Post
You guys might also wanna try Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.
never heard of it till now.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #106
Finnish

Quote:
Your motherboard manufacturer's site is your best shot.

Cheers!
Yeah, I know. I have a HP laptop, that has ATI/AMD-stuff, CPU + GPU. So that's AMD/ATI.

HP-site gives nothing out, and I don't realize how/what package could contain AHCI-drivers in ATI/AMD-play site |*Game-download area.

I have done that once to your previous lite-XP disk (downloaded Catalyst etc-drivers from ATI/AMD), but I don't know how to do it to x64-disk.

EDIT: I got it!

It was the RAID-driver in the Catalys-download are, ahcix64.sys (or something) was in that package.

Now I'm on XP Pro 64-bit, and everything is working wonderfully!

Last edited by Finnish; 06-23-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Finnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #107
Burnt321

Hello there, new guy here. I'm going to install this asap, just one question. Partitions? One hard drive would have a "bloated" XP and "DuXP" on the second partition. Would performance be affected if I load this onto a separate partition? Am I better off freeing up a whole drive for this leaner, meaner XP?

Great job, btw, lots of great info, I'm so glad I stumbled across this place in the search for audio greatness!

Last edited by Burnt321; 06-24-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Burnt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #108
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt321 View Post
Hello there, new guy here. I'm going to install this asap, just one question. Partitions? One hard drive would have a "bloated" XP and "DuXP" on the second partition. Would performance be affected if I load this onto a separate partition? Am I better off freeing up a whole drive for this leaner, meaner XP?

Great job, btw, lots of great info, I'm so glad I stumbled across this place in the search for audio greatness!
Install only DuX-XP, and keep it audio only, no internet etc.

You'll be much muchos happier.

Surf and turf with another machine (or go dual-boot with Ubuntu or with something else, I do it with Ubuntu..). Enjoy your supa dupa fast XP!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #109
Coerce

I hate rapidshare and I think a lot of other people get frustrated with the waiting to download.

I've uploaded Dux' files to my FTP so you guys can download from there.

I'm pming dux to see if he want's to put the iso up as 1 file instead of having it split in to 2.

I'll be trying this out this weekend (I normally use my own nlited xp), keep meaning to but never got round to it before.

Right now the links are here :

http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/wxpsp3ao.part1.exe

http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/wxpsp3ao.part2.rar

Dux nlite file : (right click, save as)

http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/wxpsp3ao2.ini

Last edited by Coerce; 06-25-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #110
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coerce View Post
I hate rapidshare and I think a lot of other people get frustrated with the waiting to download.

I've uploaded Dux' files to my FTP so you guys can download from there.
Great initiative. Thanks!

I had to DL Dux' XP from rapidshare on three comps at the same time :-)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #111
DuX

Thanks big time Coerce!

This is great news for all. Yeah, who doesn't hate RapidShare. It would be cool if you'd unpack those two files and just put a straight ISO up, because some people have troubles extracting it.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #112
Coerce

Yeah I should have that done by Monday, Probably a straight ISO and one inside a .rar along with the .ini for a bit of compression and faster download.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #113
Smurf

I look forward to this, every time except once when I downloaded this it was corrupted.

Thanks Again!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #114
Bevosss

Hey Dux, just curious if you are planning to do an equivalent Windows 7 version?
I know it might be a ways off still...

I'd like to create a high RAM monster now that nebula is 64bit, and my original Dux nlite build works so well that I'd probably hold off if you had some plans for one.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #115
Burnt321

Installed... awesome. Thanks!
Burnt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #116
DuX

I've got no plans for Windows 7, sorry Bevosss .

One day definitely... but not in the near future. It also depends a great deal upon nLite updates for Windows 7.

Personally, I still cannot see a reason to abandon the XP. If I needed more memory than 2GB, I'd try XP64 first. XP is just so lean and mean and I don't fall for the eye-candy of Vista and Win7. When the audio apps I use start complaining about it, then yes - it will be the time to move on.

...Or when I see a tangible performance differences in favour of Win7. otherwise, I see no reasons to change the OS. Being just an "old" OS is certainly not a very good reason to move on.

Cheers!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #117
Nihal

Default windows optimized for audio

Hello, someone can send in italy cd with the software optimized. I can not use this nLite to create it from me --
too pay
Thank you in advance
Nihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #118
Coerce

http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/WXPSP3AO.iso

Updated the FTP with the full ISO.

Nihal, you don't need nlite, download the above iso file and open it with a program like nero and it will burn the disk for you. Make sure you burn at x4 speed and a normal cd not dvd.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #119
perple

Default So, How exactly do I turn an ISO file into a bootable cd...

Hello,
Wow, been experiencing major latency issues with my brand new as-yet unused DAW with Windows xp pro SP3, and Chris/Coerce steered me this way from Gearslutz. I spent all day yesterday (after a week of do-it-myself bang-my-head frustration) reading here and elsewhere, sick oh sick of troubleshooting, decided definitely to do this new improved re-Dux SP3. So, downloaded from the link in the previous post from coerceChris, and have spent this entire day to the point of frustration trying and searching and searching and trying to make this file bootable, to no satisfaction. I have Nero 9, have followed instructions from different websites, now have 4 shiny new coasters, ...

Alright! Why I put myself thru a day of that, I don't know... But all is working. I've read thru this thread twice and the previous thread (mentioned at the start of this on) up thru about page 10. Mine eyes are sore!

Thank you, Coerce, for pointing me here, and Thank You DuX! for a huge extraordinary gift to DAWUsers everywhere!

Funny, I've just built my 2nd computer for DAW use, first one got much less use than I intended as romance and marriage intercepted. So now with this build I've had nothing but headaches over the last 10 days as I mindlessly added sp3 update, driver updates, mindless swaps of hardware, and ended up with some issues. Now, the silver lining in all of that is I have meself what looks to be a pretty great OS for the DAW after all! Thanks DuX!

Perry

Last edited by perple; 07-01-2009 at 09:59 PM.
perple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #120
perple

Good God, People! :-) There is a whoooole loooooot of info here!! From two days ago to this morning, I have ready every post in this thread and its mother thread. Trying to learn (always!) and problem solve for myself, and yikes, an awful lot to absorb for a relative noob. AND, everything is installed and I am giddy happy with all this!

The irony is, if I had not had major latency issues, I would have had a bloated DAW just poking and teasing and harassing me with small issues. Of course, this could still be the case, but there's so much less to slug thru when troubleshooting. Now I have what seems like one of the absolute best setups for sound recording. Everything for a reason!

One thing: (and I don't think I'm gonna do it, so I'm loathe to suggest it, but here goes...) It'd be great to have condensed to a page or five the most important info from these hundreds of posts. Just my two cents. (and of course there's a search function...)

So psyched!
Peace,
Perry
perple is offline   Reply With Quote