Old 09-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
ajaym
Human being with feelings

Default v1.3 of Akai megababy plugin now available on stash

I was asked if it would be possible to show patterns as 2 bars of four to resolve the issue that obviously editing a pattern while playing it requires you to be fairly quick on the draw.

That turned out to be a bit tricky to implement, but... I have done something even better. v1.3 now has loop mode. Simply freeze the current bar and now you can edit it to your heart's content. In loop mode the pattern select keys become bar select keys instead and pattern delete becomes bar delete.

So why not turn your APC mini into the ultimate drum machine!. Here it is

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/30965/Mega...ai_support.zip
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
akademie

UPDATE: !! my mistake by using v1.2 zip file !!

That would be cool.
But it does not work unfortunately
Also readme.rtf is old and does not contain info how to set loop mode etc.

EDIT:
Oh, well, I apologize, it was two zip files mismatch, I accidentally unpacked the file (they share the same filename!) which I downloaded a day before you posted v1.3.
Now it is working, and doc is also updated about loop mode.
Anyway even it is interesting mode, it is not much usable as the output is tied to half measure edit selection, which in fact is musically (in-context) almost unusable.

So this mode, unfortunately, does not solve the problem when 16 step pattern (played as a whole) would need to be editable easily and not depending on play-cursor position (if in first or second half of the measure).
I am aware that it is not easy or maybe even impossible within the current megababy code (maybe it's time to write a simple drum sequencer JSFX from the scratch with this ext.controllers in mind ;-).

Anyway thanks for your effort.

Last edited by akademie; 09-15-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typos, formatting
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:29 AM   #3
ajaym

well... do not despair. What if loop mode worked a little differently?. When you engage it then it allows you to edit the 8 beats you are on but continues to play the whole pattern. You can then use the pattern select arrows to move around the bars in the pattern (as currently) but you are always hearing the whole pattern. I think that would come very close to what you had in mind as you are always hearing the whole pattern. And of course megababy is showing you the entire pattern up on the screen, visually.
I think on reflection this would be a better mode of operation. I can see when I might want it to work the way it does now as well, of course. Perhaps the ideal is to make this a button that when you press once it loops on the bar. Press again and you're now in this new mode that plays the whole pattern but lets you edit just the one bar. Press again and you're back to normal mode.
I realized too when I implemented the preview function I should make that shift screen much more powerful. The leftmost column could do note preview but then the next two columns could be turned into mute and solo switches, which would be much more flexible than the current solo approach. I would also have liked to be able to trigger transport stop/start/pause/rewind which *is* potentially possible with some MIDI routing as Reaper honours MIDI MMC messages to control the transport. So still room for further improvement here I think.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:31 AM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
...<snip>
What if loop mode worked a little differently?. When you engage it then it allows you to edit the 8 beats you are on but continues to play the whole pattern. You can then use the pattern select arrows to move around the bars in the pattern (as currently) but you are always hearing the whole pattern.
<snip>...
Yes, that's exactly what I hoped for when I was reading your post introducing new v1.3 version and its new feature

Quote:
...<snip>
Perhaps the ideal is to make this a button that when you press once it loops on the bar. Press again and you're now in this new mode that plays the whole pattern but lets you edit just the one bar. Press again and you're back to normal mode.
<snip>...
This using one-button approach could be a workflow killer if you are used to work in "full pattern play / half pattern edit" mode and the first you press the button the pattern plays in half until you manage to press it second time (EDIT: or did you mean sort of click vs double-click "timed" trigger? and not "cycled" trigger?).
I would suggest using two independent buttons or maybe if "shifted buttons" can be made could be fine (like you press one button as alternator and when additionally pressed another button, then different function is triggered).

Quote:
...<snip>
I realized too when I implemented the preview function I should make that shift screen much more powerful. The leftmost column could do note preview but then the next two columns could be turned into mute and solo switches, which would be much more flexible than the current solo approach. I would also have liked to be able to trigger transport stop/start/pause/rewind which *is* potentially possible with some MIDI routing as Reaper honours MIDI MMC messages to control the transport. So still room for further improvement here I think.
Transport control would be definitely useful addition (I did that immediately when trying your very first version year ago - I assigned the SHIFT button to Play/Stop action

Last edited by akademie; 09-16-2020 at 03:37 AM. Reason: edits
Old 09-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
ajaym

Ok... It's done. Loop mode now works as you suggested. You were right, it is definitely a better way. I have just permanently changed it and removed the old behaviour. Please let me know how that works for you.....
Old 09-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
akademie

Quote:
Ok... It's done. Loop mode now works as you suggested. You were right, it is definitely a better way. I have just permanently changed it and removed the old behaviour. Please let me know how that works for you.....
Yeah man, that's it That's what I have had in mind.
Thanks!

There are some things that would be good to think about yet:

1) It is not apparent whether you are editing the first or secod part of the pattern (if 16 steps), or generally which part of the pattern.

2) </> left/right buttons do "cycle" which makes the orientation even more confusing if you know what I mean - like: You edit first part, scroll right, then you edit the second part OK, but scroll right again and you may end up editing again the first part (if 16 step pattern) or the third part (if more then 16 step pattern). I think that it should not cycle, so you go to the left (up to start) or right (up to the end).

3) Some visual indication of part of the pattern being freezed for editing would be great - e.g. blinking buttons (could be easy for 16 patterns - so button "<" or ">" would keep blinking as it does SEND button for example).

And I am not quite sure about the manual play mode, but I think that it plays on one channel only? even when I have individual rows in megababy set to different MIDI channels. But I have to play with it little more to understand if I do things correctly before I will report.
(uh, well, but I actually just already reported it now , ha ha