Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt suddenly taking approx 40 seconds to load [SOLVED!]

just noticed this today as I haven't used it in a while. All other windows plugins seem to be loading just fine. I've tried changing settings in wine & Kontakt settings to no avail.

I'm pretty sure this is wine version related as it's the same in Ardour, I'm on wine staging 4.0rc1-1. It did always take Kontakt a bit longer to load than my other win plugins but only about 5 seconds.

Any ideas what could be causing this & how I might fix it would be very much appreciated? I have a project coming up that will feature a lot of Kontakt & can't really afford to be waiting round on 40 second loading times.

Last edited by Peevy; 12-22-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: marking heading as solved
Peevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
osxmidi

Might need to reinstall Kontakt.

Also, on slower hard disks, Wine can take a while to load it's libraries and then there are the possible plugin libraries as well, and running winecfg (it loads some Wine libraries ie it preloads some Wine libraries) before using Wine can help with the Wine library load time.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:42 AM   #3
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
Might need to reinstall Kontakt.

Also, on slower hard disks, Wine can take a while to load it's libraries and then there are the possible plugin libraries as well, and running winecfg (it loads some Wine libraries ie it preloads some Wine libraries) before using Wine can help with the Wine library load time.
I’m using separate ssd’s for samples & OS, I’m thinking it might have something to do with the wine version because it was working fine last time I checked. I tried reinstalling but it’s still the same, I also updated to the latest version of linvst & reconverted all my plugins to be safe. My fab filter, ik multimedia, ezdrummer & even replika which is native instrument are all working fine.

I wonder would it help changing from wine staging to standard wine? Although I’m doubtful as it’s the same version number on Manjaro.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
I’m using separate ssd’s for samples & OS, I’m thinking it might have something to do with the wine version because it was working fine last time I checked. I tried reinstalling but it’s still the same, I also updated to the latest version of linvst & reconverted all my plugins to be safe. My fab filter, ik multimedia, ezdrummer & even replika which is native instrument are all working fine.

I wonder would it help changing from wine staging to standard wine? Although I’m doubtful as it’s the same version number on Manjaro.
If Kontakt can't find something then that might cause the delay.

It might be a registry/path problem.

It might be Wine ie a Wine library problem.

The hard reset option that deletes the registry etc is to delete the wine prefix (~/user/.wine) and install again.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Peevy

I tried everything suggested & thanks osxmidi for the help. None of it worked so as a last resort I rolled back from wine 4.0rc1-1 to 3.21-1 & everything is now back to normal. I'll wait & see what the next wine version is like but for now I'm sticking with 3.21-1