CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
Krillo
Human being with feelings

Default How to save local STEREO wav!?

Hi all,

I have read the tutorials and seen the videos, but still no clear instruction on this. I want to send audio to Ninjam as stereo (not two mono), and save all the oggs and the local wavs. If I send as stereo, the local wavs end up in mono (left channel only). If I send as two mono channels, wavs get saved as two mono, which is fine, but I would like to send my audio as one stereo pair, because sometimes the two mono channels gets shuffled as the others hear it. I don't know why, probably due to my limited outgoing bandwidth.

thanks
/Krillo
Krillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
pljones

All NINJAM channels are stereo.

You'll need to explain more about your routing set up.
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
Krillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
All NINJAM channels are stereo.

You'll need to explain more about your routing set up.
Ok, In Ninjam you can choose local channels

Mono 1
Mono 2
etc, and then

Stereo 1/2
Stereo 3/4
etc.

I can either choose Mono 1 AND Mono 2 for two mono channels, or Stereo 1/2 for one stereo channel. I would like to use the Stereo 1/2, because when I choose two mono channels I have errors in the audio. (Some intervals gets lost, so my audio skips back and forth.

My routing is basic. Stereo input from soundcard on channel 1. Ninjam on master. I have tried all variations I can think of with sends and recieves, but the result is the same.

Last edited by Krillo; 08-15-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
pljones

If you are using ReaNINJAM, then the NINJAM client itself should need no set-up other than having "Stereo 1/2" selected. You should have it inserted on your Master Track, which should have a Stereo input and a Stereo output. A single Reaper track is also able to handle two "mono" (i.e. single) channels and will treat them as a stereo pair - it will route to Master without any Sends or Receives needing to be set. As far as I know, recording in either stereo or mono will still output to Master as stereo correctly.

Sounds like you're doing it right, to me...

Just check all the pan controls in ReaNINJAM say "x.xdB center" rather than anything else?

Last edited by pljones; 01-17-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Understanding dawned...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Krillo

I tried some other ways today. I hit the record button in Reaper, so that what goes into my soundcard gets recorded, while having ReaNINJAM on the master. After the jam, I save the project, preferrably in the same folder as the Ninjam folder that was created during jamming.
Then I do the clipsort thing, then drag the wavs I recorded into that project, and sync it up manually to the local files made from oggs, which I then can mute or remove.

When setting two mono channels in Ninjam, two mono oggs are sent, which are 60kbps. When setting Stereo 1/2 one interleaved stereo ogg of 58kbps is sent. So the actual upload bandwidth required is doubled if I want to have ReaNINJAM do stereo wav recording. To me it seems silly to have those two options tied together.
(The bitrates I got are from opening the oggs in Reaper and going to Item Properties / Properties. I guess they're 64kbps, but ogg is VBR so it depends on the audio content)

Thanks
/Krillo

Last edited by Krillo; 01-17-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
pljones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
When setting two mono channels in Ninjam, two mono oggs are sent, which are 60kbps.
So that's two times 60kbps?
Quote:
When setting Stereo 1/2 one interleaved stereo ogg of 58kbps is sent.
So that's two times 58kbps?
Quote:
So the actual upload bandwidth required is doubled if I want to have ReaNINJAM do stereo wav recording.
Eh? 116 is not twice 120, it's less.
Quote:
To me it seems silly to have those two options tied together.
This I don't understand - what two options and tied together how?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #7
Krillo

I can see math is an important subject for you. This thread was not intended as an competition in that or any other subject.
The amount of data is doubled if one choose two mono local channels compared to one stereo local channel. I think it's unfortunate that the choise of two mono channels or the choise of one stereo channel is tied to the amount of upload bandwidth required.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
pljones

If there are 10 samples on channel 1 and 10 samples on channel 2, that's 20 samples. If I say "Channel 1 is Left" and "Channel 2 is Right", that's still 20 samples. If I compress channel 1 with no regard to channel 2, I'll probably get worse compression than if I compress them together (go check the math). Hence treating them as stereo lowers the bandwidth.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
pljones

Bump just to highlight LETO's thread is likely connected: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=120104

Sorry for misunderstanding where you probably wanted to go to originally, Krillo!