Old 11-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default Eddie Money Tribute

The song was already part of our repertoire but Eddie was the man so posting in memory of from this past Saturday night's show - it's kinda cold and outside hence the long sleeves et al.

The audio is a hand-synced mixture of an unmanned camera on stage left and another stage right + kick and vocals from the PA board tape - The "PA" is a little Yamaha mixer on stage.

__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings
 
Jeffsounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northeast Michigan
Posts: 3,072
Default

Nice job!
__________________
"Music is a fundamental human desire." - Mike Butera
Jeffsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default

Thanks
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
Judders
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9,129
Default

Tight band!

Sounds great
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,680
Default

Sound great Karbo, how did you mic it?
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
how did you mic it?
Hi Tod... I mic'd in a way that goes against everything I've ever learned but it works so I do it anyway...

The audio is a hand-synced mixture of an unmanned camera on stage left and another stage right + kick and vocals from the PA board tape so that's three sources - The "PA" is a little Yamaha mixer on stage. So... a camera on stage left with a little x/y mic on it, and the same on stage right 30 feet away, then vox/kick from the board/mixer. I visually and by ear align the two camera audio tracks, then stick the mixer audio that contains kic/vocal in the middle of that. The two camera tracks are not fully panned but about 50%.

All that said, that's near exactly how it sounded on stage based on my memory.

This is the mic that is on each camera:

__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 12,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Hi Tod... I mic'd in a way that goes against everything I've ever learned but it works so I do it anyway...

The audio is a hand-synced mixture of an unmanned camera on stage left and another stage right + kick and vocals from the PA board tape so that's three sources - The "PA" is a little Yamaha mixer on stage. So... a camera on stage left with a little x/y mic on it, and the same on stage right 30 feet away, then vox/kick from the board/mixer. I visually and by ear align the two camera audio tracks, then stick the mixer audio that contains kic/vocal in the middle of that. The two camera tracks are not fully panned but about 50%.

All that said, that's near exactly how it sounded on stage based on my memory.

This is the mic that is on each camera:

Well it sounds pretty good and seems quite balanced. It looks like the mics on the cameras are stereo, is that right.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums -|- Elk Video Productions -|- Tod's Music
Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Well it sounds pretty good and seems quite balanced. It looks like the mics on the cameras are stereo, is that right.
They are stereo, I should have only used the innermost mic on each camera but I didn't bother other than panning "in" little. The band is pretty good about being aware of everyone else so our stage mix is usually decent.
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
They are stereo, I should have only used the innermost mic on each camera but I didn't bother other than panning "in" little. The band is pretty good about being aware of everyone else so our stage mix is usually decent.
You could have done the vidia in quadrophonic dood!!!

Good job on the cover. In my last band we did "Shakin'" and the first time I played the drums at the front of the song all the guys in the band were congratulating me for being the first drummer they worked with that played that line like the record.
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
You could have done the vidia in quadrophonic dood!!!

Good job on the cover. In my last band we did "Shakin'" and the first time I played the drums at the front of the song all the guys in the band were congratulating me for being the first drummer they worked with that played that line like the record.
That drum line IS the song!
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #11
Glennbo
Human being with feelings
 
Glennbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That drum line IS the song!
Two drummers before me the guy just wasn't that great of a drummer and struggled, and the drummer just before me was a prima-donna who had his own better drum thing to play. I figgered it's an intragal signature part of the song, so just like not changing the lyrics, I didn't try changing the drum part and worked it up like the record.

Edit: Oh, look at me, I have over 4000 posts now! Just need another twenty thousand and some change to catch up!
__________________
Glennbo
Hear My Music - Click Me!!!
--

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-06-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #12
stratman
Human being with feelings
 
stratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Woking, England
Posts: 2,685
Default

Excellent. Great band and great performance all round. Especially like your rhythm guitar part/playing. Really nice groove.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #13
Coachz
Human being with feelings
 
Coachz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 7,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The song was already part of our repertoire but Eddie was the man so posting in memory of from this past Saturday night's show - it's kinda cold and outside hence the long sleeves et al.

The audio is a hand-synced mixture of an unmanned camera on stage left and another stage right + kick and vocals from the PA board tape - The "PA" is a little Yamaha mixer on stage.

Good time. Nice job on the solo too.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:13 AM   #14
tspring
Human being with feelings
 
tspring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern shore of Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Excellent performance. The precision and control in playing the rhythm guitars is something special. That is one of the reasons the band seems so tight.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #15
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default

Thanks guys! The show went decently enough that I think I have enough material to create a demo for gigs - one of those that does 30 seconds of 10 songs or something, once I go through the rest I might post some more to see if they will work.
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-07-2019 at 08:00 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #16
toleolu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sunshine and palm trees.
Posts: 1,159
Default

Really good job Karbo.

Looking forward to that demo you were talking about.
toleolu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Really good job Karbo.

Looking forward to that demo you were talking about.
Finished and released about 10 minutes ago, will post or PM in a few. It's nothing fancy, just a short medley to point club owners to.
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-09-2019 at 02:16 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default Medley

It ended up getting transcoded several times so I lost some video quality compared to what I began with but not gonna lose sleep over it since it will still serve its purpose.


__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #19
toleolu
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sunshine and palm trees.
Posts: 1,159
Default

Too cool. You guys are really tight.

I'll wrestle you for that hat!!!!
toleolu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #20
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings
 
RDBOIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: It changes
Posts: 1,311
Default

I'm jealous.

Last time I played in a band was in 1998... I miss the camaraderie. Not so much the stress of performing live, but that was an acceptable compromise. Loved the practice sessions more...

If you are still rock'n with friends like this you have something good going on, no matter the results. It's the journey, not the destination (not that your destination is bad).

I was hoping to hear:

"Take me home tonight
Listen, honey, just like Ronnie sang
Be my little baby, oh, ho, oh"

And... with a cute woman singing... LOL
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #21
barrymk
Human being with feelings
 
barrymk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stratford upon Avon UK
Posts: 977
Default

Tight band, great live sound balance. Cool
__________________
Ageing, failed rockstar lurching from one cup of tea to another with no idea where the next slice of cake is coming from. https://barrykingsbeer.bandcamp.com/
barrymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #22
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 25,078
Default

Thanks guys!
__________________
Clever is not the same as good, clever is from the head, good is from the heart. -Benmont Tench
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #23
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 19,145
Default

I had totally forgotten that Eddie had a handicapped child when we lived in Nashville - my wife was the admin at a concierge nursing facility that looked aft er him. Wonder how the "little `un " is these days? Couldnt find any mention of anything like that online.
__________________
"What a dick comment. I'm gonna make sure to avoid your name." Dicks other than Trump can speak????
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.