Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
ez_willis
Human being with feelings

Default mixing

do you guys have a relatively standard way of mixing? like starting with the bass and drums, then working out? i know this is a broad question, but i'm looking for generalities.
ez_willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Arbiter

There's great discussion regarding this in the "why do your recordings sound like ass" thread.

For me, it really depends on the song/genre/etc., but generally I'll do "clean up" on everything first (corrective EQ and filtering, taking out breaths and etc., comping parts, doing basic volume automation, etc.) then move to mixing the kick and snare, then bass, then vocals, and so on.. gradually introducing the other tracks in order of "importance".
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
ez_willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
There's great discussion regarding this in the "why do your recordings sound like ass" thread.
i started reading that thread right after i posted this and quickly realized it's gotta lot of answers in there.
ez_willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Lawrence

For me it depends on the genre and/or what the vocals sound like. If it's (for instance) an R&B ballad with great vox I often mix from the vocals down. If it's rap / hip-hop I will sometimes mix from the outside inward, that is vocals and drums first. It depends on what's there and what it sounds like to start with.

My only rule is if the vocal is well recorded, generally leave it along tone wise. Other than that, all bets are off.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
mtthw

I'm still in experimenting/learning stage.

I mix as I go, setting up lots of effects tracks and playing with send and receive parameters.

So, I get a lot of lovely sounds, but no system as of yet.

There have been many great ideas in this section of the forum. There are a lot of things to try, many techniques.

My fun thing is to apply effects only to certain frequencies using different routing techniques. Once you get going with it, and play with the pan and volume of the sends, there are so many different sounds you can get.

Note frequency key map
mtthw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
timlloyd

+1 to what Lawrence said.

I think a good rule of thumb (if you need one) is to work out what instrument/voice/part/etc is the focus of the song overall and start off from there. That way (lets take vocal rock as an example) you don't fall into the trap of mixing from the drums upward, and then not having "room" for the vocal.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote