Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
brummbear
Human being with feelings

Default ReaKontrol: Komplete Kontrol Mk2 deep integration with Reaper

... moving this into the proper subforum (some history is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191158)

ReaKontrol Plugin Extension for Reaper
Deep DAW Integration going beyond MCU:
- Komplete Kontrol Instance Focus
- Transport Control
- Mixer Control / Control Surface Functions
- Extended Edit Control for Looping and Arranging

This is a fork of the repository originally started by James Teh.
ReaKontrol supports Komplete Kontrol S-series Mk2 keyboards on PCs running Windows.
A-series and M-series are supported with less functionality.

Download incl manual: https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol/releases
Installation: see manual (link above) or use ReaPack

Last edited by brummbear; 10-07-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: now also available via ReaPack
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
brummbear

New release available: ReaKontrol v0.93
https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKont...eases/tag/0.93

Changes from previous release:
+ 4D Encoder LEDs for track navigation implemented
+ Refocus bank: Also scroll TCP and MCP view in Reaper to show selected track
+ Change volume of selected track with 4D encoder: Coarse = 1dB per step, Fine = 0.1dB per step
+ Change scrubbing: move cursor to next/previous grid division
+ CLEAR button: Remove active take(s) one by one (very useful after e.g. loop recording)
+ COUNT-IN button: Start recording with a count-in
+ QUANTIZE: Toggle MIDI Input quantize for selected track (note: no visual feedback on keyboard rg quantize state)
+ LOOP & 4D Encoder rotate: Shift time selection forward/backwards

Preview for upcoming release:
The next release will introduce "Extended Edit / Arranger" functions in ReaKontrol not currently offered by NI's deep integration for any other DAW...
They will be useful when live looping, layering or quickly sketching phrases and small arrangements.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
X-Raym

Hi,

Not owner of a NI keyboard yet but many thanks for working on this, and sharing it !

As extension, it could be shared via Reapack, for best delivery to users., as they will get every update.

If you need help your repo reapack friendly, don't hesitate to contact me of cfillion and we wll help you on that.

Or you can simply propose your .dll to https://github.com/ReaTeam/Extensions at every update. So you don't have to take care of anything else than uploading the dll.

Cheers !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Regisfofo

Hi! I don't own a Komplete kontrol but I have some question.I doubt it is possible but I'll ask anyway!
Any chance we could assign the knobs to control some plugins ? Maybe via lbx smartknob ?

Cheers!
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
As extension, it could be shared via Reapack, for best delivery to users., as they will get every update.
Good point - will put it on Reapack too (I already have a jsfx there anyway). Thanks for the reminder
Old 07-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Slotunes

Default S49 Comes alive!

Hello, first off Thank you so much for your expertise and time!I just received a S49 Mk2 and plugged in your fix and it works great! I can now use the transport and mixer and this makes it a great well rounded package! Still learning, but makes things much easier! Thanks again!
Slotunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
themixtape

I don't own a MK2 nor plan on it, but THANKS for this. Hack these damn newer NI controllers so we can actually USE that encoder, the transport stuff, etc. Love it. Thank you for your hard work.

This is so important-- keep midi controllers COMPLETELY customizable. Completely.

High-five!!!
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:09 AM   #8
skylinkdave

Exclamation

Halp! My M32 partially works in Reaper - the knobs and transport buttons work, but the keyboard itself does not. I was able to get my M32 to work in FL Studio, but Reaper is still giving me fits. I'm including a screenshot of my MIDI settings in Reaper just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Anyone have any other suggestions? TIA!
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper midi settings.png (27.8 KB, 61 views)
skylinkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinkdave View Post
Halp! My M32 partially works in Reaper - the knobs and transport buttons work, but the keyboard itself does not. I was able to get my M32 to work in FL Studio, but Reaper is still giving me fits. I'm including a screenshot of my MIDI settings in Reaper just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Anyone have any other suggestions? TIA!
Your MIDI settings should not be the problem. Maybe something trivial? Did you set track input to the M32 MIDI, Monitor Input?
Old 10-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #10
skylinkdave

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Your MIDI settings should not be the problem. Maybe something trivial? Did you set track input to the M32 MIDI, Monitor Input?
I seem to have had a little bit more success. When I enabled my M32 on a track, I was able to record some notes, but still got no sound while playing live (until I saved the audio file and played it back).

Is it possible to get a KK controller to work within Reaper, or can it only be done while recording to a track? Is this a limitation with the M32 in Reaper?

Edit/update: I installed the DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper extension and I get the exact same functionality as I do from the ReaKontrol extension. The transport controls work, the knobs work, and I can record to a track with no sound, but the keyboard itself still does not work within Reaper itself.

Edit/update #2: I turned on "Record monitoring" for the track, and I can now hear what I'm playing while recording to a track. So I'm like 75% there...

Edit/update #3: With "Record monitoring" turned on and the track armed for recording, I can now play and hear the instrument on that track even while not recording. I think that does it!

Edit/update #4: A bit of advice: Download and install the ASIO driver to remove/reduce latency.

Consider this case solved, I'm happy with how it works in Reaper now. Thank you for everything!

Last edited by skylinkdave; 10-17-2019 at 09:34 PM.
skylinkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinkdave View Post
Consider this case solved, I'm happy with how it works in Reaper now. Thank you for everything!
Glad you figured Reaper out which can take a while if you are coming from another DAW. I would suggest you still read the ReaKontrol manual, especially all the recommended Reaper settings (like Automatic Record Arm etc). These settings can enhance your workflow tremendously.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
Stroudy

I wouldn't know where to start myself, but is this portable to mac?

I actually spoke to a NI person where his colleagues are working on Kontrol - it seems that it'll be sometime before Reaper gets integrated.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote