Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
anubis
Human being with feelings

Default Any Linux-newbie-friendly way to load a soundfont in Reaper (SOLVED)

SOLVED: SFzero is great and worked straight out of the box. Thank you Steve Folta.

Hello,

Is there any very easy way to load a soundfont in reaper in a way that does not involve compiling and so on. I have been browsing the internet up and down, north and south, have tried to use Fluidsynth or LinuxSampler but nothing works for me. In LunuxSampler's case, I could not even get to install it. Carla seems to be an option but before installing tons of stuffs and spending a lot of time on something , I'd rather know which direction is the right one.

What do you recommend? Anything native and simple? Any JS Plug-in or Reaplugs? I am using Ubuntu Studio 18.04.

Thank you.

Last edited by anubis; 05-18-2020 at 12:35 AM.
anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Glennbo

Instead of trying to find a native Linux Soundfont VSTi, which might not even exist, I use both sForzando and Phenome for Windows running in WINE and bridge them using LinVST. All my Windows plugins work the same way.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Peevy

Yes Carla is probably the way to go for a simple to use soundfont player plus it’s great for running lv2 fx plugins. It’s definitely a very useful tool to have in the box.

As Glennbo says you could go the wine/linvst route but I still think Carla’s worth having.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
mschnell

I remember that I once used "LinuxSampler" in Windows

I suppose it should work in Linux as well

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
Tobbe

And there's SFZero

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero-X/releases/tag/0.5

Just for Linux...works great
Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #6
s wave

I use 'zynaddsubfx' I loaded it as 2 stand alone soft synths (one ALSA one JACK) with good sound banks. I have it on desktop apart from REAPER. And I click it then click qjack connect and go. If I then open Reaper and connect in Qjackctrl I can play it through REAPER Linux and record it. I searched long and hard for something like it. And it is good and works so well for me. Has a good linux sound bank. I ALSO have it on my separate midi controller PC with Yamaha keyboard and works like a charm on that too. Often I will run zybaddsubfx through Qysynth or Fluid synth And run that through Bristol. Which means I can run the keys sound into say a DX7 into a B-3 into a a moog (or loop it into 5 moogs etc) There is not a sound I can not replicate out of that little PC. And I can shoot that sample over to Reaper. I see no reason why you can't add zynaddsubfx to Reaper through Jack... It works for me SIMPLE and easily. REAPER is so flexible - I will see if I get the old Fluid synth through reaper when I get a chance.

Between zyn and xhip synth (as well as the old school ravegenerator etc) I do not need any Win or VSTs or other sound banks. Good luck if you need some specifics shoot back here.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #7
anubis

Thank you for your answers guys, I shall try your solutions and report soon. Carla seems the easiest solution. If only Reaper had a little native soundfont reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I remember that I once used "LinuxSampler" in Windows

I suppose it should work in Linux as well

-Michael
I am sure it works but I can not get to install it since it needs compiling and other linux magic that I do not master.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
And there's SFZero

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero-X/releases/tag/0.5

Just for Linux...works great

I can also vouch for SFZero. It works well here.

Linuxsampler is my go to for pretty much everything, but for a quick and dirty patch or two for a tune, SFZero is easier to add and use, imho.

Alex.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
T since it needs compiling
There was a Windows binary for LinuxSampler.

There also are Linux binaries -> https://www.linuxsampler.org/downloa...l#linuxsampler

They say: "We currently provide pre-compiled binaries for the following operating systems:" .. Debian,. Ubuntu, Gentoo, Suse.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #10
anubis

Thank you very much for your help guys.

I tried and tried and tried to install/compile Linux Sampler and Qsampler but there is always a problem.

SFzero is great! Just great!

Have a nice day.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:03 AM   #11
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
Thank you very much for your help guys.

I tried and tried and tried to install/compile Linux Sampler and Qsampler but there is always a problem.

SFzero is great! Just great!

Have a nice day.
Linuxsampler you download two deb files from KXStudio and install them. Then I use Fantasia, and you need Java for that. I then create a launcher to quick start Linuxsampler/Fantasia. Works for me.

KXSudio:
https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins. More stuff here.

Linuxsampler:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-de...dio2_amd64.deb (realtime audio sampler)

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-de...dio5_amd64.deb (realtime audio sampler (VST Plugin)

You need to install both

Fantasia:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/jsa...ntasia-0.9.jar
I have done this lanucher, and I ticked "run in terminal" so I can close Fantasia/Linuxsampler if something happens.
java -jar /home/user/.jsampler/Fantasia-0.9.jar