Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #1
Psync
Human being with feelings

Default Waves compressors and Reaper 5: external sidechaining?

Can anyone confirm if Waves compressors actually show extra inputs (3 and 4) in their I/O tab? To be used for external sidechaining? (Waves v9, Win10x64, Reaper5x64).

Hate to ask it this way, but I have a good reason...

A short while back I demo´d some Waves compressors, a.o. Renaissance Compressor and H-Comp. Aparrently, I installed them incorrectly or forgot to change settings in Reaper, so they ended up quite buggy on my system. So I removed them. I recently discovered what I did wrong when I installed another Waves plugin. So I know they will run smooth on my system. But, since their demo period has expired, I can´t test their sidechaining options any more.

Anyone?

Last edited by Psync; 10-22-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Psync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
lowellben

Hi there.

RComp seems to work fine here, does this photo help answer your question?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Psync

Hi there. Thanks for the photo!!

As a matter of fact, this photo DOES answer my question.

I was looking for "VST In 3" and "VST In 4", which are apparently not available.

So no possibility to for instance duck a bass with a kick on RComp... (I know it does work in Pro Tools)

Did you load the VST or the VST3??

Greetings, Psync
Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
zyisrad

The VST3 versions allow sidechaining. But if you use one Waves VST3 plugin in your session, they all have to be VST3. Mixing VST2 and VST3 Waves plugins will render all the plugins useless as the GUI will not draw or the plugins will crash. This is a Waves issue that they are likely never to fix.
zyisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Psync

zyisrad, much appreciated!

I really liked the sound and simplicity of RComp. Have seen it used in numerous tutorials. Nice to know it will do the things I want to use it for in Reaper...

Regarding your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyisrad View Post
Mixing VST2 and VST3 Waves plugins will render all the plugins useless as the GUI will not draw or the plugins will crash. This is a Waves issue that they are likely never to fix.
Well, they seem to be able to coexist on my system... (see attachment)

Does this happen immediately, or after a longer project time (or maybe after save and recall??)

Greetings, Psync
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coexist.jpg (55.3 KB, 299 views)
Old 10-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
zyisrad

I didn't have much luck mixing VST2 and VST3. It might be on a track by track basis or mixing different versions of the same plugin. I just use VST3 exclusively to avoid needing to troubleshoot in the future.
zyisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Psync

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyisrad View Post
I didn't have much luck mixing VST2 and VST3. It might be on a track by track basis or mixing different versions of the same plugin. I just use VST3 exclusively to avoid needing to troubleshoot in the future.
Fair enough, better to stay on the safe side.

Again, thanks for your earlier reply.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psync View Post
Hi there. Thanks for the photo!!

As a matter of fact, this photo DOES answer my question.

I was looking for "VST In 3" and "VST In 4", which are apparently not available.

So no possibility to for instance duck a bass with a kick on RComp... (I know it does work in Pro Tools)

Did you load the VST or the VST3??

Greetings, Psync
If you use VST3 it shows 3 and 4 vst-ins additional inputs. Sidechin works. And yes I can mix VST and VST3 without problems.

The only real issue is that last night I tried to upgrade to 9.6 with the new Waves Central and had several issues, finally VST won't show up. I had to chat with a Waves tech that allowed me to go back to 9.3 using an offline installer

A nightmare

Anyone having experience with WAVES 9.6 upgrade?

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
Rusty Falcon

Gianfini: Reaper x64 on Windows 7 x64 here and yes the 9.6 upgrade plugins from Waves Central made it so Reaper crashed within minutes of opening a project.

I went back to 9.3 using the Waves Complete v9r30 Offline installer and am happily working. Incidentally I had to keep Waves Central itself installed to use it to move licenses around, but I now don't trust the plugins it installs - at least on my machine.

I have a mix of Waves VST2 and VST3 plugins in my projects. So I almost wonder if that is part of what is triggering my issues.

Emailed Waves support and got a very nice form letter back advising that Reaper is not a supported platform and that I should take advantage of their free seven-day trial before buying Waves plugins. LOL

Been running Waves plugins in Reaper for about two years now and had no issues until the Waves Central 9.6 release.
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #10
Psync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
If you use VST3 it shows 3 and 4 vst-ins additional inputs. Sidechin works. And yes I can mix VST and VST3 without problems.

The only real issue is that last night I tried to upgrade to 9.6 with the new Waves Central and had several issues, finally VST won't show up. I had to chat with a Waves tech that allowed me to go back to 9.3 using an offline installer

A nightmare

Anyone having experience with WAVES 9.6 upgrade?

g
Thanks, Gianfini, for your confirmation about the sidechaining in VST3. As soon as that little bugger of an RComp goes on any kind of sale, it'll be MINE!! (evil grin)

As for your question about 9.6: I'll be posting my findings in the Waves Central thread.