Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
storyteller
Human being with feelings

Default Orchestral Template For Reaper (OTR) - NOW FREE/DONATION ONLY PROJECT

Hey guys & gals,

I wanted to make an announcement today that for a minimum of the next 30 days, I want to make Orchestral Template for Reaper (OTR) a free/donation only project.

Over the past year and a half since its introduction, OTR has attracted a number of well known composers, has helped a countless number of newcomers to Reaper, and helped its users learn how to build efficient routing of orchestral templates. The most applauded feature of the project is the stem render process, which reduces day-long/multi-day processes to a push of a button, but there are also quite a number of additionally applauded, built-in features that are not natively available in any other DAW. If you are unfamiliar with OTR, check it out here: http://otr.storyteller.im

While this is a bit of an experiment in moving to a donation-only model, hopefully, this will be the model moving forward. I believe in helping the community in any way I can contribute. With OTR, this has always been my goal all along. In the beginning, there were costs associated with the product launch – and I thank every user who has contributed to its success which has allowed me to get to a point where I could make this donation model a viable approach.

To answer any concerns to current and future users: Yes, I do plan on continuing to update the software. My thoughts are that this approach can also bring about additional community contributions that can help OTR flourish beyond its current state. Let's make it the best it can be! Hopefully, this will be a win-win for everyone out there.

Note to OSX users: There has been an ongoing bug with Reaper portable installs (not OTR related, but it could affect the OTR install) on various OSX configurations that may require you to update the included version of Reaper to the latest build. Please make sure you follow the "how to update" instructions in the manual or check out the troubleshooting video on the Storyteller Youtube page.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 AM   #2
DynamicK

Very generous of you Jonathan. Are you including all the track packs as part of this deal?
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
X-Raym

So generous move from your part, the community will be very thankfull to you

I wish you all the best for your project !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
AndreiT

Thank you!
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicK View Post
Very generous of you Jonathan. Are you including all the track packs as part of this deal?
Everything on the Storyteller Store has moved to the same donation model - including TrackPacks.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #6
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiT View Post
Thank you!
You are welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
So generous move from your part, the community will be very thankfull to you

I wish you all the best for your project !
Thank you! And thank you for all you’ve done as well! The Reaper community is what it is today largely in part due to your contributions.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Everything on the Storyteller Store has moved to the same donation model - including TrackPacks.
Wow, that's really generous! Thank you!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
kotsaris

Thanks a lot Storyteller!
Just have a question for you:
Is there any easy way to transform our existing track templates to your format,so that we can use them with the additional functions?
Just recently made some track templates to use with Reaticulate and it's strange to use a completely different system now...
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotsaris View Post
Thanks a lot Storyteller!
Just have a question for you:
Is there any easy way to transform our existing track templates to your format,so that we can use them with the additional functions?
Just recently made some track templates to use with Reaticulate and it's strange to use a completely different system now...
You're welcome! There are a number of things that make OTR track templates work within OTR overall workflow. In short, it is possible to convert over your existing track templates if you use the correct naming conventions and track routing configurations, but there is not a simple process to just "convert them over" to the OTR formatting.

I haven't spoken to Jason (@tack) about directly integrating his Reaticulate plugin with OTR yet, but I know he said yesterday that he was going to take OTR out for a test run. He will probably be a better point of reference on the ease of converting over an existing Reaticulate Track Template to OTR. I'll also reach out to him directly to see if he may have quick recommendations for his users. I would expect it to be a pretty easy process overall.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
kotsaris

Quote:
You're welcome! There are a number of things that make OTR track templates work within OTR overall workflow. In short, it is possible to convert over your existing track templates if you use the correct naming conventions and track routing configurations, but there is not a simple process to just "convert them over" to the OTR formatting.

I haven't spoken to Jason (@tack) about directly integrating his Reaticulate plugin with OTR yet, but I know he said yesterday that he was going to take OTR out for a test run. He will probably be a better point of reference on the ease of converting over an existing Reaticulate Track Template to OTR. I'll also reach out to him directly to see if he may have quick recommendations for his users. I would expect it to be a pretty easy process overall.
Ok,I'll dig deeper into OTR workflow and hopefully I'll provide some info about the conversion of templates.
Nice recommendation regarding reaching out to tack.Would love to see a unite of these workflows!
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 AM   #11
X-Raym

Quote:
Thank you! And thank you for all you’ve done as well! The Reaper community is what it is today largely in part due to your contributions.
Many thanks for your words, it is really appreciated

Seeing other open and altruist people sharing their works (if not more !) is what is the most stimulating !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
peter5992

Quote:
Hey guys & gals,

I wanted to make an announcement today that for a minimum of the next 30 days, I want to make Orchestral Template for Reaper (OTR) a free/donation only project.

Over the past year and a half since its introduction, OTR has attracted a number of well known composers, has helped a countless number of newcomers to Reaper, and helped its users learn how to build efficient routing of orchestral templates. The most applauded feature of the project is the stem render process, which reduces day-long/multi-day processes to a push of a button, but there are also quite a number of additionally applauded, built-in features that are not natively available in any other DAW. If you are unfamiliar with OTR, check it out here: http://otr.storyteller.im

While this is a bit of an experiment in moving to a donation-only model, hopefully, this will be the model moving forward. I believe in helping the community in any way I can contribute. With OTR, this has always been my goal all along. In the beginning, there were costs associated with the product launch – and I thank every user who has contributed to its success which has allowed me to get to a point where I could make this donation model a viable approach.

To answer any concerns to current and future users: Yes, I do plan on continuing to update the software. My thoughts are that this approach can also bring about additional community contributions that can help OTR flourish beyond its current state. Let's make it the best it can be! Hopefully, this will be a win-win for everyone out there.

Note to OSX users: There has been an ongoing bug with Reaper portable installs (not OTR related, but it could affect the OTR install) on various OSX configurations that may require you to update the included version of Reaper to the latest build. Please make sure you follow the "how to update" instructions in the manual or check out the troubleshooting video on the Storyteller Youtube page.
Interesting move! I hope it broadens the user base, and I also hope that people will continue to put their money where their mouth is, i.e., by contributing to something that is useful to them in their daily lives.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Interesting move! I hope it broadens the user base, and I also hope that people will continue to put their money where their mouth is, i.e., by contributing to something that is useful to them in their daily lives.
Thanks Peter! We will see where it goes. It definitely has been an interesting experiment so far. I really do want this to be the model moving forward.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #14
Steviebone

Wow! I just discovered this product. This looks very interesting. And very generous of you. Thank you.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #15
Tobbe

Have to ask. Does it work with Reaper for Linux?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #16
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Have to ask. Does it work with Reaper for Linux?
I haven't gone down the Linux route, so I am not certain how it will play together. I would guess (since OSX is linux based) that it should work just fine by replacing the OSX binary with the Linux binary. It would be a good experiment if you wanted to provide any feedback on it, though.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #17
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
Wow! I just discovered this product. This looks very interesting. And very generous of you. Thank you.
You are welcome
Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #18
Tobbe

Quote:
I haven't gone down the Linux route, so I am not certain how it will play together. I would guess (since OSX is linux based) that it should work just fine by replacing the OSX binary with the Linux binary. It would be a good experiment if you wanted to provide any feedback on it, though.
Oh, I'm not that good on Linux to know how I replace binary. Someone else with that skill have to jump in here